[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reykjavík Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

Going to be in Reykjavík for a couple days soon, just looking for a few good bars & restaurants - any particularly noteworthy recommendations?
>>
It's not a place you go to for the bars and restaurants. Enjoy the nature, volcanoes, etc. That being said, I had a nice meal at Laekjarbrekka. There's also a grill place called Chuck Norris, just to say you've been there.
>>
>>1094421
That place looks good, thanks. And I'm just passing through as part of a larger trip around Iceland. Still, it'd be nice to have some fun in the city while I'm there. And I've heard pretty good things about the nightlife.
>>
hade a great fish & chips at a place called Icelandic Fish and Chips. Not that expensive but great as fuck.

There's also a super cozy café with great games, chocolate milk and coffe called Tiu Droppar
>>
>>1094405
I'm also heading to Ice land and have this same question. I'm gonna be renting a car. I have heard that you can get pretty cheap places to stay with outdoor hot tubs
>>
>>1094457
Don't think so. I booked all of my places on airbnb for around $80-140 US per night and while they're decent, they're by no means fancy, aside from perhaps a lakeside cabin in the far north of the country that may or may not have a hot tub. The rest are just average apartments and guesthouses (no hot tubs).
>>
>>1094405
Laundromat Cafe has nice burgers
the famous hotdogs are actually good
>>
>>1094885
also Vitabar for budget, it's good though
>>
>travelling abroad
>visits a city instead of seeing something noteworthy

Reykjavík sucks anyway. Iceland in whole sucks dick too, rip off overhyped tourist trap. Some nice sceneries but its all going to be swamped with tourists
>>
Any vegan or Veg places you can recommend. Or even places with Vegan options
>>
>>1095141
lmao
>>
>>1095093
>Some nice sceneries but its all going to be swamped with tourists
there are other things than the golden circle, you know?
>>
>>1095141
>vegan options
>in literally Skyrim
I don't think so, senpai.
>>
Spend a day in the city at most, yeah it's clean and quaint but it's just another Northern European big city.

The nature is where it's at.
>>
>>1095141
potatoes
>>
>>1095141
Here you go, these are all vegan places you can find in Reykjavík:

Íslenski Barinn
Klausturkaffi
Ramen Momo
Rauðahúsið
American Style
Valdís
Núðluskálin
Grænn kostur
Gló
Serrano
Silva Hráfæði
Café Babalú
The Laundromat Cafe
Culina veitingar

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask, I'm Icelandic.
>>
>>1096822
I'm not the vegan anon, but I have a question

What's better to bring in order to exchange currency, euros or freedom dollars?
>>
There was some pretty cheap but delicious burger shack that was really good when i went there. Also I went to some gourmet pizza place that had whale as an appetizer and it was delicious
>>
>>1097010
use your international credit card, even small food trucks accept it... they don't really like euro (and they give the change in icelandic krona anyway)

I took only euros with me and it was the worst choice ever (had to buy ISK at the bank there to avoid losing even more money)
>>
>>1095093
pretty much this.
Am Icelandic
>>
>>1095141
yes, somewhere.. but be prepared to pay 2x or 3x
>>
>>1094405
bump
>>
>>1094405
>going to Iceland soon
Might want to wait until after the Eve Fanfest before you go, the entire of everything on the whole island gets booked out for around a month this time of year.
>>
>>1094405
>Going to be in Reykjavík for a couple days soon, just looking for a few good bars & restaurants - any particularly noteworthy recommendations?
You're in for a treat. It's like everyone in Iceland went to culinary school or something. I didn't have a bad meal the whole time I was there. Clean food, kind of fresh and detox feeling was mostly what I ate. There isn't a huge variety of vegetables, herbs and ingredients, but what they do grow in their hothouses or import feels prepared to the peak way. Bar life, though, it's kind of a country coming off of a alcohol-free mentality. It's very expensive tariffs for them, so they tend to do shots, and didn't even make their own beer until the last couple of years (Egil's). If you need to be wasted, buy duty free inbound and load up before leaving your room for the night.

You'll have to do the original Icelandic hot dog stand, but they're good everywhere else too, from the N1 gas stations to the airport restaurant. Don't skip a topping, it's their combination of ingredients really that makes it so special.

Caruso is good italian food with a nice atmosphere. Right in the midst of Laugavegur street.
I enjoyed the mostly local crowd at Islenski bar..as well as the good variety of local dishes.
http://islenskibarinn.is/net/

Coffee is bitter/instant tasting equally terrible everywhere if you don't get an espresso drink in a cafe. Water is delicious right from the tap, though. Must try the skyr on breakfast menus or in the markets, as well as any smoked lamb offered.

You're going with a crowd? You might enjoy making a reservation at the campy Viking Hotel's restaurant with the old fashioned menu, kind of like a Medieval Times experience. It's only 15 minutes up the road from Reykjavik (on the way from the airport in Keflavik).
http://fjorukrain.is/en/cave/
>>
>>1101250
Oh, another foodie tip. Do make sure you get your fill of black licorice, from the chocolate wrapped salty licorice bars,to things imported from their heritage Danish rule from elsewhere in Scandinavia, to the licorice dipped and filled vanilla ice cream Popsicle in the snack bar at the blue lagoon.
http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/a-rough-guide-icelandic-sweets-and-soda
>>
>>1095805
Reykjavík is the hipster capital of probably the most hipster Scandi (i.e. globally hipster) country. It'll be expensive for that veganon, but places exist.
>>
Everything is absurdly expensive over there.
>>
>>1094421
the food at the Chuck Norris grill is pretty shit desu, its just a gimmick
>>
>>1095141
Can't remember the specific names but there are plenty of vegan restaurants and they are all very nice, even as a meat eater. Just look around, they're not hard to find :)
>>
>>1094405

Eat puffin.
>>
>>1101435
and shark, and whale
>>
Any recommandations for day trips from Reykjavik? I'm going to stay there just for 4 days. I thougt bout renting a car and just drive around to see some nice sceneries but i can't really decide where to go. I don't care if the places are tourist filled.
>>
>>1101730
and an old goat head
>>
>>1101730
Shark is flavorless, whale is not that good. But puffin, man. Puffin is delicious. If I moved to Iceland, the puffin would be extinct by Thanksgiving.
>>
>>1103950
kek

I'm going there in september, I had the idea of eat some shark and whale, now I will include puffin in the menu
>>
>>1095547

There are tourists literally everywhere. The irony is that most of them come here to be the only tourists.
>>
>>1103792

Go on a bus with other people on day tours
>>
Hi

Visiting Iceland in September for 7 days. Doing the Golden Circle. Our main stay will be Reykjavik.

What are some suggestions on other cities/towns to stay while doing the Golden Circle?
>>
I can't see why anyone would go to Iceland, seems like a total drag. Some cool landscapes but other than that lads... wew.
>>
>>1104620
>muh hot opinion.

Sit down, edgelord.
>>
>>1104635
Why do differing opinions hurt your feelings so much?
>>
>>1104620
If I wanted nature I'd visit Norway instead.
>>
>>1104637
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>1104554

I went in April last year and drove around the island.

Past Vik I saw one car per hour, and past Jokulsarlon Glaciar Lagoon even less.

On the beach at Vik there was me, me ex and another stranger filming the scenery and that was it.

On the Golden Circle there are more tourists especially at Geysir and Thingvellir, but outside of that to the East of the island there is literally no one.
>>
File: img_9924-1.jpg (97KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
img_9924-1.jpg
97KB, 800x533px
Has anyone rented a camper like pic related to do the ring road?
My question and my major concern is how do you take a shower in the middle of nowhere?
>>
>>1104658
Hop in a river or find a hot spring
>>
File: IMG_2051.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2051.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1094405
Ölstofa was a nice cozy cafe/bar.
>>
File: IMG_2212.jpg (7MB, 8320x3098px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2212.jpg
7MB, 8320x3098px
>>1104608
Isn't Golden Circle just a few hours drive outside of visiting places such as the geysers and Gullfoss?
>>
>>1105640
Yes, I think. I'm sorry I was not clear: we are doing the Golden but we are looking to stay at other cities/towns besides Reykjavik. We might also deviate from the Golden Circle route and incorporate a bit of King's Road. Any suggestions on what towns/cities are worth staying the night?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.