[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, I've got a few questions that maybe you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_Canada.svg.png (18KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
18KB, 1280x640px
Hey /trv/, I've got a few questions that maybe you guys can answer without me having to call immigration office.

I'm an american looking to move to canada, and while I've done a lot of research online recently, there is a lot of conflicting information. This also goes when asking the couple canadians I'm friends with, but I wouldn't expect them to be experts on moving to their own country.

So, how hard/easy is it, aside from the paperwork and general hoops to jump through, how hard would it be to land a job before moving, etc etc?

My reasons for moving are mostly unrelated to current politics, i'm not scared of trump.
>>
>>1094131
>how hard would it be to land a job before moving, etc etc?

It's a big country, economy is doing ok (but just), east coast is poor, central and west are doing alright, Alberta is dealing with recession.

PR is granted on a points-based system. You get more points for being younger, bilingual, well-educated in a desirable field, and employed in a needed industry. Your post provides none of that.

And no, don't get your hopes up that you'll arrive, land a job at GameStop and suddenly find yourself a citizen. You're competing against Iranian doctors and Indian engineers, as the days where being from a similar country got you preference are long gone.
>>
>>1094131

In my experience it's essentially impossible.

Two of my friends (married, both under 30, with masters degrees in geology, living in Alberta), applied for permanent residency after living as students for four years, then working for another two years. It took them 1 year to hear back from the Canadian government and both were rejected.

I'm an international myself (English), and I've only ever heard of other Commonwealth'ers getting PR after a similar experience as above (4 years school + 2 year work visa).

That being said it might be different for other provinces, or if you are bilingual. Maybe one of the best bets is speaking French then applying for school in Quebec, apparently that's an easier way, though I only know this from hearsay.
>>
>>1094131
>aside from the paperwork and general hoops to jump through, how hard would it be to land a job before moving

Do you have a in demand masters? If no, incredibly. Canada has a reciprocal working visa for under 30s with a bunch of countries. America isn't part of this. So the crappy jobs can just employ other foreigners and do less paperwork.

What's your education and current employment?

>>1094241
Is right about French. On you immigration point system, 20/100 is from being fluent in one of the official languages, and there's another 10 from speaking a second.
>>
>>1094262
No degree, but I do have nearly 2 years of managerial work experience, and another year of pharmaceutical experience.

Let's throw in some more information, I've been dating this girl for almost 3 years now, and we're thinking about getting married. She's canadian. I understand that marriage sponsorship is a thing, BUT it looks like a lot of it is heavily based on financial eligibility. Assuming I can prove I'll be able to provide for myself, would sponsorship like that make the process smoother?
>>
>>1094363
canadian living in canada*
>>
>>1094363
The big financial thing is for her to put up a $20000 bond in case you divorce and go on welfare while unable to work. On a marriage visa you cant formally work for around the first year of being in Canada.

But yes, having a Canadian spouse would make this a lot easier. On the points system you aren't much without a degree.

You do know that even if you become Canadian, the IRS will still consider you an American and you can be expected to file income taxes? You can end up owing taxes in both countries.
>>
Funny I was just about to post a thread on Candian immigration.

I am going to apply for the Quebec Skilled Worker program cause I am bilingual (English and French) and have previously spent a year in Quebec studying. I am 20 btw (will be 21 when I apply), have my bachelors, and I am from the UK. I apparently should get the QSW then I will be able to apply for Permanent Residency.

I have a couple of questions about the Permanent Residency process which if anyone has done it, could help me out. First of all do I need to send my passport to the Candian embassy in London if all goes to plan? Or will they just mail me an acceptance letter, then I show it to the border guards and my passport when I enter Canada? (Thats what I did for my study permit).

Second of all is there a specific time limit in entering Canada to get PR? So say I recieve the decision letter on June 1st, do I need to enter Canda by July 1st for example? Reason why I am asking is because I plan to be teaching English in Korea around the time my application should be processed. Furthermore, when I arrive in Canada, can I put a friend's address as my permanent address in Canada so that they mail me my PR card, then my friend could send it on to me in Korea? Would that flag up when I try to enter Canada again and I have my PR card? Would I even need my PR card, or can I just go in on a tourist as I am visa-exempt (British and French passport)? But then would that mean I'd have to leave after 90 days? I will be using my British passport btw to apply for permanent residency.

Any advice about the process would be appreciated guys. Damm I love Canada, would be a dream come true to have permanent residency there.
>>
>>1094398

Say I start living in southern ontario and commute to new york for work, we get married, I live in Canada for a year, working in the US (or apply for a work visa via sponsorship). Do you guys think this would be the easiest transition (Without a degree of course)?
>>
>>1094398
>You do know that even if you become Canadian, the IRS will still consider you an American and you can be expected to file income taxes? You can end up owing taxes in both countries.

This, unfortunately.

Also his advice is generally correct, but not entirely. You don't put up $20k, you're put on undertaking to remunerate the government for certain social services they may require, regardless of whether you're still married or divorced, generally for a 3 year period. Even if you're still married, you can still be on the hook.
>>
Myself (australian) and my gf (taiwanese) are looking at applying for a working holiday visa in canada. Does anyone have involvement with the process? Im thinking to try for rural work in the east and head west over the course of a year. Will she get raped by chugs? Im 29 now, im unsure if im valid til 30 or 35. Shes young.
>>
I'm an International student in Canada and was hoping to get a PR once I graduate but from what I gather the government here prefers to hand in PRs mostly to refugees or people from 3rd world countries
>>
>>1095317
As long as you're under 35, you will be ok.

There isn't much rural work in the east, outside Quebec. Maybe some fishing or agriculture stuff during the summer. If your gf speaks Mandarin there's a lot of hospitality jobs that would hire her and maybe take you as part of a package deal.

We complained about natives because there didn't use to be another group to complain about. Don't spend too much time in the downtown eastside of Vancouver and the north end of Winnipeg and it's fine.
>>
I honestly consider Canada the best country in the world and it kills me to know I won't be able to stay here forever
>>
>american mom who married canadian dad and has been living in canada for 17 years
>took 4 YEARS of applying, reapplying, jumping through various hoops to get citizenship
>go with her to swearing in
>ask all the brown/asian/black visibly muslim/sikh people around how long it took them
>no one took more than 8 months

So basically op, do you have a foreign sounding name?
>>
>>1095594
I do not, I'm white as fuck. I guess my plan here is to move to New york, Get a job around the niagara falls area and live there for a bit. Honestly, this is more about just being with my SO than becoming a canadian citizen. Between the two of us though, we'd both MUCH prefer if I permanently moved to canada than her moving to U.S.
As I said in previous post, I could easily commute 30mins to an hour if I find a decent enough job near the border. She's not even that far into canada, and would be willing to move closer to the border anyways. Thus enabling me to live in canada for over a year, making the process easier. Honestly, as long as I don't get booted out, I wouldn't mind jumping through hoops for several years before officially becoming a citizen.
>>
>>1095594
>>1095476
>>1095320

>be me
>call an official Quebec government immigration call centre for more information about some details on their website
>talk in French to the women who answers
>she has such a strong accent from South America or India or something, she can barely understand what I am saying and its hard for me to make out what she is saying as well cause of her accent and her french is really shitty
>I switch to English expecting she would understand that better at least
>She tells me in her pigeon French that she doesn't speak English

I mean wtf? I speak French and English, have a university degree etc, and will probably have to wait years to get a permanent residency permit if I'm lucky. Meanwhile this women who can't speak English and can only barely speak French is working in the immigration call centre, wtf?

>inb4 it was Quebecer French

Trust me it wasn't. I already lived in Quebec for a year, and Quebecers accents are easier to understand than her's was
>>
>>1096231
>bring noskills foreign language only illiterate people from far off cultures for diversity quota
>No one hires them
>they complain, everyone complains
>the government hires them
>SEE, THIS VERY USEFUL IMMIGRANT HAS ASSIMILATED PERFECTLY YAY US
>immigrant hates their job and gets ridiculed constantly but can't be fired and can't afford to quit
>their superiors don't care because they're the same thing

Welcome to Canada
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.