[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How I canshow that I can be friendly and trustworthy in Münich?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

Hello. In three months I will have for the first time a trip to Germany/Münich. It is an exchange trip. All my friends and relatives are excited that I will go to that land but for me is a little bit different.
Now, my biggest fear when I arrive there is that now that the migrant crisis is there I fear that people will look at me like another immigrant that is there to cause trouble and being a nuisance. I speak german more than enough, I know the history, the customs etc.. I do not want them to look at me like that, I am not even neither muslim or arab, and I want to show that I am trustworthy, someone that comes here to study and meet and not to rob or cause trouble, so the experience can be more pleasant and even start new friends there. I am nervous due to this. Any tips to show them that i can be trusted and friendly? How I can be friends with them without being cringy or weird? any advice of what I should do once and behave I arrive to Münich?
>>
wearing an eye patch will not help
>>
>>1093874
Where are you from?

Munich is quite conservative and staid by German standards, although it is loose and liberal by Bavarian standards... Anyway, my advice would be to not hang around at train stations all day smoking, in packs with 12 other of your teenage Arab friends and leering and making sounds at women all day. Also, don't grope them or rape them. .

If you look foreign, well... Germany is a little inherently racist like most of the world. If you don't look white, yes, you will be treated different, if only in subtle ways (open direct racism is rare). I am American, white, blend in easy here, but whenever I speak German (only a light accent) or it comes out that I'm not German somehow, the difference in treatment is always there. People will doubt your German ability and speak broken English to you (if they bother to stop and speak to you at all) until you speak it flawlessly. Then they will comment that your German isn't bad for a foreigner, and tease you for ever minor mistake that even they themselves make.

Young people and students are generally open to foreigners though, as Germans have a very strong case of cultural cringe and love to hate anything to do with their history (which let's be honest, is full of misery and violence). Bavarians are generally among the most tradition-minded Germans though, even if they've commercialized the ever-living fuck out of Lederhosen and Oktoberfest and what not.

You could wear Bayern fan apparel, if you can hold your nose enough to do so, and don't mind looking like every other faggot. Drink beer, eat pork, talk about football, be punctual for everything, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1093874
You'll be fine. Especially as an exchange student at a university. The only thing you should worry about are the rents in Munich

and fyi it's Munich in English and München in German
>>
>>1093874
Are you white?
>>
>>1093975
Ummm, does it matter but yes anyways.
>>
>>1093935
Mexico.
>>
As a white Mexican you will speak with a Spanish accent. Germans will likely think you are from Spain. This is good since Germans like Spain. Many Germans spend their holidays there.
>>
>>1094072
And if I tell them or know that I am mexican still ok?
>>
>>1094094
Mexico? Isn't that the place where big fat party dudes sleep off tequila hang-overs under cactuses all day wearing ponchos and sombreros?

Seriously, they don't know anything about Mexico. BTW, Mexican food in Germany is 99% of the time utterly terrible -- you've been warned. You may get some questions about narcos if they watch international news. Expect them to know only the most basic stereotypes. I've met a few Germans who've been to Mexico, but I can count them on one hand.

If anything at all, you can claim a few exotic bonus points for being a Spanish speaker not from Spain. Imagine the faces when you're shown off as the rare foreign Mexican friend specimen at a party, and all the other losers only have a Spanish friend.
>>
>>1094104
>Imagine the faces when you're shown off as the rare foreign Mexican friend specimen at a party, and all the other losers only have a Spanish friend.

You made my day with that and also after reading that makes me feel more motivated.
>>
Just say you're from Texas and everyone will love you
>>
File: image.png (181KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181KB, 500x439px
>>1094124
You sure anon?
>>
>>1094124
No. It's probably the worst you could do. Mexico might not be super popular but it's certainly way more popular then Texas.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 580x625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 580x625px
Also I should note that when you are there, be and try to be nice, do not touch taboos, avoid conflicst, smile, wash your dishes, pick up your trash, make your bed, be clean in general. Also, just do not be afraid, you go there as a student and the best thing you can do is just enjoy, not many people have travels like that. You go, have fun, invite people to the cinemas or parties. Just enjoy the fact that you are going to a place no many can afford to go.
>>
>>1093874
Man be glad you aren't as dark as me

That being said dressing well is important only because first impression stuff

>>1094484
This, try not to worry to much, but just do the routine stuff
>>
>>1094484
Artist? Btw OP do not expect Germans being blonde log haired people on traditional german clothes.
>>
>>1095232
She had many names, going from peachifruit, hiimdaisy to gigidigi.
>>
Thanks for all the tips, I feel more motivated. I can see myself having German friends, how crazy!
The travel is now confirmated and will be in a family house, better star practicing.
>>
What does Germans think about Swedes?
Also thinking about moving to Munich for a while. I don't know German but I think I could pick it up fairly quickly because of the similarities in our languages.
>>
>>1095718
You are Mexican huh? Just one tip, do not saludate with kiss and or hug, germans love their space.
>>
>>1095756
Tip for Mexican girls, do saludate with kiss and or hug, Germans love it.
>>
>>1095756
>>1095796
>saludate
This is not a word. You're probably thinking of either salute (or the noun form salutation), but 'greet' would be better.

Anyway, true... Germans don't touch each other unless they really know each other. Hugging or kissing people's cheeks will freak them the fuck out (or cause them to collapse and cry in a puddle of missed affection). When Germans do hug, it's a very soft feathery thing, you put your arms around someone without touching and lightly pat them as soft as possible, for 1-2 seconds and that's it. Squeeze anyone or give a real hug and, again, you'll freak them out. A handshake is also typical.

A German man would drop his spaghetti so quick if some latina girl kissed him on the cheeks.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.