[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long would it take to learn how to sail a boat by yourself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Laura-Dekker.jpg (158KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Laura-Dekker.jpg
158KB, 1280x853px
How long would it take to learn how to sail a boat by yourself and go around the pacific or somewhere like that
>>
Haven't you made this thread like 10 times already?
>>
>>1092356
I've never seen it and I'm interested as well.

Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute?
>>
>>1092358
only that it takes years of experience to do something of that magnitude, people literally die trying to cross the pacific or atlantic in a sailboat

do you own a boat?
if not, a good boat is very expensive

if you really want to do this your first step should be joining a sailing club, learn the skill, partake in competitions and such

I wish you all the luck in the world but this is not something to be taken lightly, nor is it a matter of practicing for a few weeks

it also takes a very strong mind btw, being alone for weeks on something that's only a few square meters big could very well fuck you up in the head
>>
>>1092386
Primitives crossed the Pacific in what amounts to a bunch of logs, the logs always float too.

Nothing to worry about honestly. Just make sure you have plenty of food, sunblock, and maybe a radio or GPS.
>>
>>1092358

Do you?
>>
Sailor anon here,

I sail and instruct people how to sail (mainly racing though), and if you have any questions you can ask me.

Answer to these threads is yes, you can do it with only a year or two experience on a fairly small boat, but not safely by any means.
>>
>>1092534
>Answer to these threads is yes, you can do it with only a year or two experience on a fairly small boat, but not safely by any means.
This.

And, OP, you should know a lot of the "firsts" for solo sailing only happened in the last decade or two, and financed by people like Richard Branson who had all the money in the world to throw at it (see Fossett feats). It's really not safe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-handed_sailing

It's also something people quit before finishing. It's rough work alone and really has a season.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/how-many-people-complete-a-circumnavigation-each-year-by-sail-43362-2.html
>>
I too want to learn how to sail. Actually came to /trv/ looking for a sail thread.

Also, Laura Dekker is the hottest sailer in the world.
>>
File: baja_overall.gif (35KB, 470x481px) Image search: [Google]
baja_overall.gif
35KB, 470x481px
>>1092200
in the 70s my dad took a community college class on sailing, then he bought a 34 foot catamaran

he and my mom (who is from mexico, but never sailed before) went from san diego around the tip of the baja, through gulf of california and back. by themselves with no other experience reading maps or whatever, just figuring it out on the fly

they almost died a bunch of times, with storms almost capsizing them, or running out of water before coming across a random fishing boat that rescued them etc. but its doable
>>
>>1092200
Possible yes, easy no.

I would say 2 years of lake and costal sailing experience, courses in navigation, radio operation, sea law and at least 8 weeks in the open sea onboard with a experienced captain plus a few years of craft/improvised problem fixing would be a good start to make it somewhat safe.

There're some website like findacrew.net offering passenger/crew spots on their sailing boats for things like around the Caribbean up to a atlantic crossing.
Give it a try and see if it's really for you.
>>
>>1092386
Spoken like someone that literally knows nothing about sailing and has never done anything like this in his entire life. Lets stfu with the worthless fear mongering.
>>
>>1092200
People do it all the time. Just search for things like live aboards on YT. Can be done for pretty cheap if need be and if you do your research. You would be surprised what people have done.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/WickedSaltySailors
>>
>>1092447
Not sure if bait or not. But a shit ton of primitives died crossing the pacific.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.