[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/. This is my first time here, and to be honest I feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Los-Angeles-Skyline.jpg (444KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Los-Angeles-Skyline.jpg
444KB, 1920x1280px
Hey /trv/. This is my first time here, and to be honest I feel like this is probably a fairly common theme for new threads, so if it is I apologize. I'm considering moving to LA in the near future. I live in Boston right now and I'm just straight up unhappy with my life and I desperately need a change of scenery. I have a fair amount of money saved up right now, and I have family (a brother) and friends out there. I guess I'm just looking for you guys to try to either talk me out of it or convince me I should go.

>tl:dr Should I move to LA or no?
>>
I'll get some shit out of the way first:

>I'm 25
>White
>Working in AV
>$15k in the bank
>I have a reliable car
>>
>>1091884
Sure why not the cost of living isn't all that more outrageous than Boston. Coach surf of your bro and friends for as long as you can swing it until you get a job bagging groceries or some shit and then you can be a little more financially stable to have a studio of your own. Los Angeles on the surface seems like an amazing place to live, but sooner or later the place gets to you and you realize it any all that.
>>
>>1091900
I don't think I'll have any problem snagging a part time job right off the bat. I've been able to keep a job consistently for a long time and I'm fairly confident in myself.

Why do you say that the place gets to you? Can you give me some examples/stories or anything like that? I mean I've heard that everyone kinda sucks and it's hard to really connect with people...but other than that?
>>
>>1091884
I moved here 7 years ago (spent 2 years in San Diego) from Detroit. Unless you are trying to make it as an actor or musician then it is just another big city. I am planning on moving back to the mid-west after I get my degree.

The cost of living should be about the same. Normally I try to talk people out of this type of thing but it seems like you have enough money and some connections. Give it a try if you are just looking for a change of scenery...

More specific questions?
>>
>>1091938
same as
>>1091945
You get a little disillusioned after living here for a while. People who grew up here and have never lived anywhere else are in a bubble. They think its perfect.
A decent house cost $500,000. If you tell them that it isnt normal they act shocked as if a $100,000 house is an urban legend.

Its really crowded and hard to get around. The ocean is cold all year. Most of the places that you think would be cool are tourist traps/really dirty. There are homeless people everywhere, even in the middle/upper class suburbs.

There is a lot of fun stuff to do. Great hiking, surfing. Its sunny everyday. That is the best part about it for me. I can ride my bike everyday and hardly need to think about the weather.
>>
>>1091945
Thanks for the insight. I mean the difference between Boston and LA as far as being "another big city" is that Boston is fucking tiny. I just feel like LA will have more for me just because of the size.

>>1091949
There are people like that everywhere you go. There are always the townies that know nothing outside of their bubble. It sucks, but it's a part of life. Boston is crowded as well...not really HARD to get around I guess...because of how small the city really is. Although the public transit is terrible.

I honestly believe that sunshine and warmth every day is enough to make me happy. I plan on buying a bike at some point as well. I'm a beach person, but not really an ocean person, so I don't mind the cold water. I can get over homeless people (we have em in Boston too) and I used to work across the street from Fenway Park so I know tourists.

Thank you guys for sharing some wisdom.
>>
>>1092281
>townies
Yes, that describes it perfectly.

I have never been to Boston but I know that there a pretty extensive subway system there. You in for a shock if you think its terrible there. If you dont plan on getting a car then I would get a bike (or motorcycle?) right away so that are you more mobile. Most neighborhoods are pretty bike friendly. Roads have bike lanes and most businesses have places to lock them up. People in general are not as hostile towards people on bikes as they are in the mid-west or east coast.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.