[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving abroad alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: sweden-07.jpg (828KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sweden-07.jpg
828KB, 2560x1600px
I am aware that most people here are either American or British, so I understand if it's a bit slow, regarding my question.

I'm looking into European countries to go live in. I don't want to go to America because it's too far away and I don't think I'd fit with the culture. South America is also off of the map.

In terms of Asia, Japan might be a possibility, but the language is a great barrier, and I don't think I'm prepared for the commitment of learning japanese. So, just Europe.

I'm sick of living in the same city, basically, since I was born and my country (which I prefer to omit for now) also isn't the best in terms of youth culture. I'm 27 and just got out of a relationship and I want to start things over. So, a laid back, friendly culture where I can meet people would be a great thing, specially since I'll be going alone and am a grade 3 aspie fuck.

I work with web development and have 3 years of experience under my belt, so I don't think I'll have great difficulties finding a job.

Pic related, one of the countries I've considered.
>>
For some reason I'm guessing you're from Australia or new Zealand. I think Canada has an under 30 visa shit, same with UK. With the Eu I think you need to be sponsored by a company or business to work there. In terms of integration you're gonna have to tell us where you're from and skin colour
>>
>I work with web development and have 3 years of experience under my belt, so I don't think I'll have great difficulties finding a job.

kek

just go to Poland or Romania or some shit, western Europe is fucked.
>>
>>1091839
I'm caucasian, from Portugal.

>>1091843
I've been to Poland, fuck no. Romania, maybe... but I don't know much about it.
>>
>>1091850
if you are from Portugal you probably want to go somewhere with a better quality of living (no offense portugal).

Anyway, spain is a good first step if you like it or Italy. Our cultures are close. Greece(athens) is very friendly but economy is shit(you can still find a job though..so give it a try.just dont expect much moneyz).

>>1091843
lel.. going to eastern yurop after Portugal is like fucking your future
>>
>>1091856
>no offense portugal

None taken. The climate and food are absolutely amazing, but everything else is complete shit.

Spain is down the rut along with Portugal and Greece, I don't think that's a good idea. Plus, I don't like Spanish. I don't know how Italy is in terms of job prospects, but I was told that foreigners aren't very well received there.

I've heard Estonia is growing like fuck as well, but again, I know nothing of it.

Switzerland is also an option.
>>
>>1091833
haha faggot , whole europe is fucked man
everywhere is boring and full of whiny faggots like you .
just go to thailand and teach english
>>
>So, a laid back, friendly culture where I can meet people would be a great thing,
amsterdam if you dont mind the shit weather

as a web dev myself i can tell you there are tons of jobs, and they often hire expats. ive been to some companies where almost every dev was from another european country

i cant stand the weather and dutch passive/slave office culture though so im actually looking at heading to spain myself.

if you aim to fit in i think youll like the relaxed down to earth nature of most of the professional people and the upgrade in standard of living. all those i know who came here from south europe loved amsterdam and found it easy to meet people and socialize after work.
>>
>>1091833
>I work with web development and have 3 years of experience under my belt, so I don't think I'll have great difficulties finding a job.
I work with game development and did several projects abroad and as expat. There's few cases that anything less than a senior will get relocation benefits. You will probably be able to get a job if you pay your own flights, but honestly just 3 years and lacking the native language will not put you in 'a great position'.

>Japan might be a possibility, but the language is a great barrier
You better do some research on expat life in general. There's many things other than just language you have to consider when going to an Asian country.

>I'll be going alone and am a grade 3 aspie fuck.
>Pic related, one of the countries I've considered.
I'm Swedish and I've worked in Stockholm. It's a good place for IT and I think you should go for it. However you need to work on your 'aspie fuck' no matter what place you go.

Going alone to a new country or even city is very exhausting socially. You basically reset your social life (both in the good way and bad way) and have to go back to basic introductions to make friends. There will be a lot more giving than receiving, in terms of social contact. Expect to be the guy asking others to join for a beer or a lunch more often than you get the question from others. Especially if you try Sweden.

But I have to say congrats on your decision and I hope you follow through. I think you will get a job if you are active and show you are willing to relocate yourself. Within Europe there's few regulations that stop you from working and living wherever you want. It's definitely worth trying it a year just for the experience. Best of luck
>>
>>1091843
>western Europe is fucked

In what way exactly?
>>
>>1091833
>>1091856

English former web dev here

I applied for a couple jobs in Spain and Germany a while back. I didn't hear anything back but both of them said they only required English. So I think there are companies like that across Europe, where the "office language" is English, even if the country's language isn't.

So you could always apply to those. Why not? Got nothing to lose.

Or here's some more advice - if you just fancy a break from your country then why not take a holiday. You could go and check out a country that you like the look of and maybe that will inspire you.
>>
File: rio-douro-porto.jpg (563KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
rio-douro-porto.jpg
563KB, 1920x1440px
>>1092037
>i cant stand the weather and dutch passive/slave office culture

What do you mean by this? Not the weather (although I'm used to sunny and average weather).

I hate Portugal's work culture and it's one of the main reasons I want out: you get a fixed salary and working hours, say 9 to 6.
Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is expected to work extra hours WITHOUT compensation if there is something urgent to be done. I was in an internship where I worked 9 hours a day (1 hour over regulation) and sometimes even 10 hours because the boss would start acting passive aggressive and everyone would just give you angry looks. I hate this shit. Tell me how long I will work and I'll do it, don't fucking lie to me.

>>1092066
Yeah, I know I should get a couple more years of experience if I really want to be sure.

>There's many things other than just language you have to consider when going to an Asian country.

Like what? I've been to China for a short time and, besides the language, the only problem I faced was the bureaucracy and living expenses, which could've been easily solved with an average salary.

The social part is what frightens me, so, yeah, maybe 1 year would be good, just for experience. I get kind of lonely kind of fast, but I think I need to get over this on my own rather than using other people as a crutch. It could also force me to overcome my awkwardness.

>>1092082
>Or here's some more advice - if you just fancy a break from your country then why not take a holiday. You could go and check out a country that you like the look of and maybe that will inspire you.

I'll think about it. holiday is different, though. You get less of a chance to integrate and communicate with people.
>>
>>1091833
>am a grade 3 aspie fuck.

You're blaming your social situation on the country you live in rather than your own inability to communicate well with people
>>
>>1092037
English web dev here (this guy: >>1092082)
>dutch passive/slave office culture
Hm, don't you think that's more to do with software development, than with Holland? I definitely felt like a slave as a web dev, and like they wanted me to be passive. But I think that comes with any IT position really. You have to just fight against it. Otherwise people will treat you like dirt (anon can you fix this, anon fix that, anon why aren't you doing this - because I'm doing something else! Fuck off! This is important, this is what I'm doing, if that thing is important then put it on the fucking bug tracker.)

I'd be interested if you do think it's uniquely Dutch but surely any web dev job has that culture, unless your company does place a lot of emphasis on developer input, but again that's not really a country-specific thing.

Also Amsterdam is a fucking great city, I went there a couple years ago for three nights and had an amazing time

>>1092137
I'm the English guy you responded to but I noticed your response to the other guy
>Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is expected to work extra hours WITHOUT compensation
Okay well that sucks, that happens in England too but you have to stand up for yourself and say no. Say "I'm contracting to work from 9am til 5:30pm, that's it, I am not paid to be here anymore". Obviously if you're in your couple of weeks of a job then you might have to go the extra mile, but otherwise stand your ground, they are breaching your contract if they make you work without pay.
>Yeah, I know I should get a couple more years of experience if I really want to be sure.
You should just apply. That's the only way you'll know. I guess you might think "there's no point wasting my time applying because I know they'll say no". But that's pretty negative. I'd say it's worth firing at least one application off, you might get a good response.

(contd...)
>>
>>1092137
Contd from >>1092208

>I'll think about it. holiday is different, though. You get less of a chance to integrate and communicate with people.
Well one thing I wanna do at some point is travel by myself, I've been thinking to Thailand. I already went travelling with some mates which was great. We met people in pretty much every city we went to who we hung out with. People in a bar in Paris, people in our hostel in Berlin, this American guy in our hostel in Plzen (Czech Rep.), people in a bar in Zagreb (Croatia), another American guy in Split (also Croatia).

Basically people in hostels are really friendly. Also some of my good friends have gone travelling one their own and they made friends just by being a bit outgoing.
>>
>>1092155
>I am
>I

that's the keyword, I'm not blaming anyone but myself.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.