[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Week in Costa Rica

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: CostaRicaBridge.jpg (191KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
CostaRicaBridge.jpg
191KB, 700x500px
On Saturday I fly down to Costa Rica, have a 19hr layouver in Panama City starting at 9pm. Got a room, plan on hitting bars at night, city in the AM and off to San Jose on Sunday.

Do I have enough time to do this:
Sunday 20th 4pm, Land in San Jose, get to Arenal by night.
Mon-Tue @ Arenal
Wed - Thur @ Monteverde
Fri-Sun @ Manuel Antonio Beach
Sun Night back in San Jose, fly off 11am Monday

I would like to see Arenal Volcano, some nice waterfalls, get out in nature and chill at a beach with a bit of partying there. However, I love to ride motorcycles where ever I can. Part of me wants to design a loop I can ride, but I fear I am trying to shove too much into a short amount of time.

Any insight /trv/?
>>
>>1090892
Haven't been to Manuel Antonio, but SJ-Arenal and Arenal-Monteverde are easy transit in a few hours each. You can supposedly do part of the trip between Arenal and Monteverde by boat and save some time; it's a surprisingly long drive, quite a bit slower than SJ to Arenal (I did it in about four hours in a private car, but we stopped for lunch). The big highways are generally in good condition, and if you're OK with curvy, mountainous routes (like CA1/Pacific Coast Highway, sort of), I imagine it could be a good bike trip. Not a motorcyclist myself.

But in general, if you are willing to budget half a day in transit between your various stops (understanding that it will likely take less), you can totally do it.
>>
How are you getting around? How set in stone are your plans? Based on my experience in Costa Rica, I'd do something different if I wanted to see a volcano, rainforest and beach.

Arenal is really weather dependent. It might be nice, it might be foggy. It's pretty unpredictable. I went there and couldn't see the crater. It was kind of neat hiking through the fog though.

If time is a limiting factor, you might not want to go north, then south. Transportation in Costa Rica isn't very efficient. If I only had a week, I'd want to spend the least amount of time possible on the road. Just because something on a map is only 50km away, does not mean you will be able to drive there in an hour.

San Jose is pretty dirty. Cartago is an hours drive south and a lot nicer, especially in air quality. A lot of the diplomats in San Jose live there. Irazu volcano is right next to it, and is more often visible. It's not as foresty, but it's kind of like a poorer version of the alps. There's a bunch of ranches on a hairpin road with shepherds taking their flocks up and down. From there I'd go to Tapanti National Park. It might be a bit busier and not as nice as Monteverde, but it doesn't take the better part of a day getting there. You could go to Cartago on Sunday, and then have two separate day trips and you can go to Manuel Antonio on Wednesday?

Or maybe do what you wanted to do originally, but switch Manuel Antonio with something closer like El Roble?
>>
>>1090965
My plans are not set in stone at all, and I am very aware of road conditions and time being chewed up by taking them. I am not against domestic flights either.

I know my plans will probably change based on weather and what happens when I meet others etc etc, but it would be good to have a rough plan.

>>1090963
>>1090965
Thanks
>>
>>1090965
Is right. Your plan currently isn't very good for only a week in CR. It takes an entire day to go from La Fortuna to Manuel Antonio. I was in CR for 2.5 weeks so I had the time to stop in San Jose on the way for a couple of nights.

If I were you I'd pick the beach or the mountains and not both. Either go to Arenal and Monteverde or do something in the San Jose area and then head down to the beach. If you want to see volcanoes there are plenty close to SJ airport, within a couple of hours. You can stay in Alajuela for the first night and visit volcano Poas or as suggested above go to Cartago and see Irazu. I wouldn't spend much time in San Jose itself, it's a dump.

As for motorbikes, CR seems like an awesome country to do a motorbiking road trip. There are plenty of restaurants on the roads and the mountain passes are wonderful with a lot of curves and scenery as far as your eyes can see. I would love to ride my bike there. You'd have to have something per-arranged if you wanted to make this happen though, it would take too much time to just show up at the airport and try to find a bike rental place.
>>
>>1091141
Ok, sounds good, If I have to I would nix the beaches. I will be heading back to Thailand all summer anyways. Arenal and Monteverde and see if I can find a bike to rent, as online it's all big BMWs for rent, rather get a lighter and more nimble machine. My helmet will take up most of my carry on, but I would rather have it and not ride than ride and not have it.
>>
Got robbed in San Jose once, watch out if you're waltzing around central after dark.
>>
>>1091451
Thanks anon, I have heard to check with your hotel/hostel about places to go and avoid.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.