[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best way to explore chernobyl if youre on a budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-03-15-01-24-26-1633467672.jpg (13KB, 273x185px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-15-01-24-26-1633467672.jpg
13KB, 273x185px
Whats the best way to explore chernobyl if youre on a budget and dont want to spend hundreds of dollar for a guided tour with no freedom to explore on your own?
The only thing I can find online are expensive as hell tours in groups. Not really something we are interested in really...

Im hoping that its similar to what I experienced with Machu Pichu in the way that the only easily accessable way was through the heavily overpriced and lame official tours and you had to dig far deeper into it to find out how go get there in a cheap way.

That being said: if there really is no way at all to get to pripyat on your own we might not even be interested at all, so:
General Ukraine travelling thread I guess? What are some other must sees that really stand out?
>>
Why would you want to go to such a potentially dangerous place without a guide? I mean normally I would be with you but for this I think its better to be safe than sorry
>>
the bus trip to chornobyl is probably more dangerous than pripyat itself, since radioactivity fell on a low level 30 years after the nuclear accident. So don't worry about safety when going there
>>
Just pull a Jeremy Wade.
>>
File: 20160313_134331.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160313_134331.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
$89 is not a bad price, famalam. Considering they will deal with the bureaucracy+transport+geiger counter. It's shitty you might not be able to explore to your heart's content, but such is life. I'm also interested in doing this though, so saving for interest. Here's some trenches I snapped yesterday.
>>
>>1090870
It really shouldnt be dangerous at all outside of the red forest. Radiation is far lower than for example on a transatlantic flight so no worries there .
Plus I wouldnt exacly call ukrainian officials that reliable concerning my own health...
>>
>>1090897
It might end up being the only way of doing it but Ill be sure to post about my experience.
Where did you take that pic? Good for hiking? Thats definitely also something we are interested in.
>>
>>1090867
Make sure you get there before 2017 if you want to catch a glimps of the power plant, that's when the new sarcophagus will be done and unlike the old one, which just covered the reactor, this one will slide over the entire plant.

But Pripyat is more interesting anyway imo.
>>
>>1090867
Group tour or guided tour one on one. The latter is how you can explore a bit. But, there are fees to be paid, and regulations. You can't go on your own. As far as "safe" goes? I understand that just scuffing up dust with your boot exposes higher decaying radiation.
I wouldn't go. I also wouldn't do excessive dental xrays (every 3rd or 4th year only). I draw the line at avoiding air travel, however :P
Scientists like me wouldn't go. I'll enjoy your pictures instead.
>>
>>1091026
>as a scientist

What kind of scientist are you?
You definitely pick up a far higher dose of radiation on a plane compared to a day in pripyat so there is no actual danger or harm in going there.
>>
Lets bump this once more to see if anyone wants to chime in.

As for us: we probably wont go to chernobyl at all but instead check out Nagyvazsony on our way through hungary. Supposed to be a pretty big abandoned soviet military station with apocalyptic feeling to it.
>>
>>1091124
>You definitely pick up a far higher dose of radiation on a plane compared to a day in pripyat so there is no actual danger or harm in going there.
No, it's not as safe as you think. You should live your life like your cancer risk is your genetic roulette, that part you can't control, but that if you feed yourself poison, and you have the genes, you simply help growth, like watering a seed. So, no exposure is safe. You want no water whatsoever to fertilize that latent ability you have to grow something. With low doses, it is called the linear effect with no threshold. It's controversial because no one really actually knows for sure, but you might have 4000x greater risk from single low dose exposures such as a set of xrays. Tours dabble with the low end of the deadly dose, daily. That tour operator has a limit too, and that is assuming his equipment works properly. It's stupidity to do that willingly. Look at pictures. You won't kick up any dust that way.

Here's an example of just 10x the average human rate, air crews at the worst latitudes and altitude hours
http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/181873-1.html
>>
>>1091124
>What kind of scientist are you?
To tell you exactly would break my ability to be anonymous. There are only 30 in the world doing what I do. I have worked with radioactive isotopes in the past however. I had 140 liquid scintillation counters in my lab, which had hourly unsheilded 137cesium for recording the variable effect of cosmic radiation on hourly sample readings. It's within my realm of expertise to be aware.
>>
>>1091026
I'm a scientist who went to Chernobyl. So did many of my friends. All from fields such as physics and chemistry. You probably are something like a liberal arts major who calls himself "scientist".
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.