[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going on a motorcycle trip soon from Washington state,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ChugachMountains.jpg (316KB, 3000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ChugachMountains.jpg
316KB, 3000x1500px
I'm going on a motorcycle trip soon from Washington state, through British Columbia, up to Alaska. I'll either drive directly into Alaska or hop around the southeastern islands via ferry.

I've never done this before. I've also never done a solo trip of this magnitude. I've also never camped before.

Any advice? Besides "carry DEET"
>>
please respond
>>
>>1088086
Sounds like a hell of a trip and I'm envious.

I'm from the UK so don't have any geographical advice but I can advise you to go camping as much as possible before the trip, using the gear you will be taking with you.
>>
>>1088253
This basically
You don't have to go on long ass camping trips but get used to your gear
Also, have a backup plan (emergency money, knowledge of how to fix motorbikes, shit like that)
You can also find hostels hella cheap if you end up not liking camping
I absolutely love BC but I've never been to Alaska so I have no advice for routes but stop and enjoy the sights, the highway can get pretty boring but there's tons of small towns off the highway you can check out and shit

Have fun man!
>>
>>1088086
>Any advice?
The magazine for the ride/guide is called "The Milepost" and it's a well-driven route.
>>
>>1088253
>>1088276
>>1088323
Thanks.
>>
>>1088086
BC biker here.

Have you had a look at how expensive the ferries are? I was looking at doing a road trip to Haida Gwaii in the summer and thought about doing a round trip going up Vancouver island and then coming back through the mainland. It would be $500 doing that, $400 or so for you Americans. What bike do you have? How far up in Alaska are you heading? I hear that if you're going up the Dalton Highway you have to keep a spare gas tank as there's a stretch of the road that most motorbikes don't make between refueling spots.

I've never been up north so I don't have much I can offer, I might do some road trips in BC this year, head over to Jasper for a while probably. Should be awesome, lots of places to camp for the night. Just be warned that due to a history of forest fires BC has open fire bans from mid spring to mid fall these days.
>>
>>1088613
The ferries aren't that expensive for motorcycles, if you leave out of Prince Rupert.
>>
Accept the fact that at least once on your trip, your bike is going to fail catastrophically. Not irreparably, but it will be a fucking pain in the dick whatever it is and it will take a surprising amount of money and time to fix. Don't freak out, just plan accordingly. I am speaking from experience.

Also, what bike you riding? DR650 here.
>>
>>1088914
Going to do it on a V-Strom 650. I was actually considering a DR650, but it's kinda barebones out of the box and needs some modifications for reliable long distance travel, whereas apparently you can travel long distances out of the box with a V-Strom.
>>
>>1088919
Yeah, I love my DR but it did take some extra bucks and wrenching to get it set up for long distance fun. Still, after the mods and additions, it's the perfect bike. V stroms are noice though, I hope you have a hell of a time m8
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.