[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

amtrak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 2af.jpg (231KB, 960x686px) Image search: [Google]
2af.jpg
231KB, 960x686px
Considering taking amtrak from nyc to boston. Is it as terrible as I might think? Would be nice not to put the miles on my car.
>>
Not particularly terrible. What are you concerned about?
>>
Worried that it's gonna be the filth of the earth all packed in like sardines.
>>
File: 200607301518347680.jpg (104KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
200607301518347680.jpg
104KB, 800x600px
>>1079409
Wow, you sound pretty sheltered.

This is what the inside of an amtrak train is like. Riding the T in Boston or the subway in NYC is infinitely more crowded, dirty and aggravating. Have you honestly never done either of those things?
>>
>>1079409
What weird trains have you ridden on?
>>
>>1079409
That's the bus. I don't even care for Amtrak and I know it's better than flying.
>>
>>1079409
On the northeast corridor, a good fraction of the riders are businessmen, another fraction consists of students. Not filth, unless your standards are very idiosyncratic.
>>
>>1079415

Okay, so, because I've never taken a long distance rail I sound sheltered? Sure, I've taken the subway, NJ transit, PATH... I've had the displeasure of riding back to Jersey after with a car load of belligerent Devils or Rangers fans. I've ducked my head from oncoming subway brawls at 3am. I even saw someone jump off the Staten Island ferry once. Y'know..i'm nor a princess, but you're comparing a ride that is anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes with something that is 5 hours. Huge difference. Was just wondering about the comfort aspect, is all.
>>
>>1079452
Yes, assuming that taking the rail, especially between two major cities in two of the more / most developed cities let alone states in the nation, would be a "filthy" experience and one where you're packed in by sardines is pretty sheltered thinking.
>>
Why don't Americans like trains?

Best way to travel long distance if you're going between two major cities, or even from a small town to a city.
>>
File: rhonj-teresa-whatever.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
rhonj-teresa-whatever.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>1079669

For whatever reason, I sorta equated it with taking a greyhound. It's not uncommon for an American citizen to have never taken a long distance rail, so
>>
>>1079386
Between NYC and Boston you have the option of taking Acela (which to international readers is the closest thing the US has to high speed rail--runs between Boston and DC), which is mostly professionals and students--very few scumbags on board. WiFi, reserved seats, decent all around. Also nearly as fast as driving, without having to drive.
>>
>>1079679
>Why don't Americans like trains?
>Best way to travel long distance if you're going between two major cities, or even from a small town to a city.
Because the US passenger rail system was decimated by the interstate highway system, and near-universal automobile ownership--we have fewer stations in worse repair, an underfunded network, and limited service outside a very few small corridors (Boston-to-DC express service described above, is the only part of the US rail network that compares to European standards). It's still the most comfortable way to travel, IMO, but there are many places you can't get to by rail, and the trains may be scuzzy.
>>
>>1079685

Thank you for one of two answers here that actually weren't condescending
>>
I wouldn't be able to tell you about trains but if you're looking for something cheaper and still comfortable I once rode from NYC to Boston with Megabus. I took the latenight run so that it was almost solitary. I know you probably aren't considering taking a Bus but I have to say it's not that bad
>>
Take a Chinatown bus, not as comfy but much cheaper
>>
>>1079386
Take the sleeper car m8, you won't regret it. Going goat-class on Amtrak is a waste of money.
>>
You've triggered me, OP. In all the travels I've had, never once has anyone been rude or disrespectful in any way. Probably the most pleasant passengers and staff, actually.

Trains being on time... that's another thing.
>>
>>1079415
Trying riding it on Thanksgiving and Christmas time.
>>
Not bad, just took an amtrak a few days ago and going on another one tomorrow. No one bugs you. I usually just sleep or read or watch a movie on my laptop if I bring it.
>>
>>1079679
It's more expensive than flying here. I can fly from San Diego to San Francisco for the same price that Amtrak would charge but it would take five times as long. Likewise, you can drive from San Diego to Los Angeles for maybe $20 where Amtrak is $35 iirc and takes three hours as opposed to an hour and a half driving.
>>
>>1079971
They don't sell tickets beyond seating capacity any more, do they? Back in the 1980s, when I was a student, it used to be standing room only on Thanksgiving. Even if one paid the extra money for a reserved seat, the people standing in the vestibules wouldn't necessarily let you through.
>>
>>1080804
that's happened to me as recently as 2010, and not during the holidays
>>1079837
>pays gorillion dollar upcharge for sleeper car
>preaches about wasting money
>>
The NEC is actually one of the few places where Amtrak is remotely decent. Give it a try.
>>
>>1079386
Take the megabus; it's cheaper and faster
>>
Took a train from Rochester to Boston round trip once. On the way back the temperatures were subzero and a lot of the crossings were frozen so for a majority of the time we were going about 30 mph. The trip back took 14 hours and there was some Indian guy next to me that would not stop talking. Tickets were almost as expensive as flying from Buffalo to Boston.

Probably bad luck on my part, but it'll be a while before I take a train again.
>>
>>1079386
Amtrak is fine. I've taken it NY to Boston a bunch of times, though Greyhound is a lot better than they used to be and you could also look into Boltbus or Megabus.
Anyone else here done the Adirondack from NYC to Montreal? I love it.
>>
>>1081069
How is that? How long and how cheap? I've thought about it. Hows the boarder crossing handled?
>>
>>1081112
The price fluctuates- the first time I did it in '11 it was $130 round-trip and the last time I did it in '14 I paid $89 round-trip. If you travel in the spring you can usually find a deal/coupon for that $90 fare. The whole trip takes about 11 hours- it leaves NYC around 8AM and arrives around 7. Two hours or so of that time are the border crossing- the train stops and border agents come through and check everyone. You fill out a declaration form on the train for it.
>>
OP, no worries if you've never taken an Amtrak train before. I take one everyother weekend to go 3 hours north.

I've never had a bad experience and I've been riding on them for years. Everyone is mostly always very friendly/keeps to themsleves. It's quite beside the occasional baby or small child having a bad moment. Besides you can always go sit in the dining cart, has dining booths there to sit down ( I recommend that ).

You can buy food, coffee, alcohol or whatever. I would say just to bring a few beers of your own for the trip. There's outlets at every seat to charge your things. Staff is always friendly and very helpful.

Only cons I can think of is the trains can be late sometimes, but hey what can you do, that's part of traveling. Also. Business class is okay I guess, can't say much about it. I only bought a business class ticket once.

All in all OP, you'll have a good time. Just relax, drink a beer and enjoy the ride
>>
>>1079679
Because in america its expensive as FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK

Remember, America is fucking big. Not like some europeab country thats the size of usas testicle
>>
>>1079415
It looks so large!
Is everything in the US big?
>>
File: indian-rail-jugaad.jpg (41KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
indian-rail-jugaad.jpg
41KB, 640x428px
>>1079669
Yeah! The dude confuses long transfers with daily commuting.
Maybe he's watched too many movies on India.

Based india.
>>
>>1081807
;)
>>
>>1079837
>sleeper car for a 4 hour ride
>not a waste of money

Good lord
>>
>>1080858
>take a bus constricted by traffic and driven by a nigger

No thanks
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.