[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-Travel Depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Has anyone here ever gone through post-travel depression? If so, how did you shake it?

I spent a year and a half travelling through Australia and New Zealand by myself and had the time of my life. Now I've returned home, and I'm really having a difficult time becoming a functioning member of society again. Even before I came home, I had big plans of getting a job right away, joining a gym and getting back into good shape. But I've been back for nearly 3 months already, and I haven't done jack shit but smoke weed and sit on my ass. I'm living with my parents and they've been great, they support me financially and don't pressure me to do much. But my dad is very unhealthy and their marriage is unraveling and likely going to come to an end this year, so that's added to the stress. I've also lost touch with most of my old high school friends, so my social life is basically non existent. I have a college degree (accounting), but I've come to the realization that I want nothing to do with it because the jobs I've had in the past made me miserable.

I've found a masters program that I'm interested in pursuing, by I can't bring myself to even make the steps needed to apply. I'm currently forcing myself to stop smoking weed every night so I can get back on a normal sleep schedule, but it hasn't helped at all. I'm 24 years old and this is first time I've ever had any form of depression, so I have no idea how to deal with it. How do I find the motivation to be productive again?
>>
>>1075521
Kill yourself, you degenerate swine.
>>
File: 1418940608964.jpg (22KB, 465x411px) Image search: [Google]
1418940608964.jpg
22KB, 465x411px
>be me
>graduate high school
>most friends go off to college
>I stay around take a class or two at local community college to make parents happy, work a bunch and save money for travel
>no real friends because they all moved away, sometimes hang out with the other future burnouts that stuck around all they do is smoke weed and listen to music in this one kids basement
>a year goes by and I have enough money to travel
>have the fucking time of my life, meet awesome people, have great experience, stayed with exchange friends from high school
>spend 5 months there and come back in August
>get back into town and all my old highschool friends are there for the summer
>spend last two weeks of summer talking with old friends about my travels while getting to hear about their college experiences
>they leave
>life is suddenly empty
>no real friends, a year behind all my peers in school, no money
>get really drunk one night at fake friends house
>have to walk past train tracks to get home
>sit there crying waiting for a train to come
>fall asleep with my head on the tracks
>wake up at 4am and walk the rest of the way home

I would have actually killed myself that night if a train had come. I got over it eventually though, it was just really hard for the first couple months after I got back. I moved to a new city, went a real university and realized no one really cared if you were a few years older, most the people older than me even. Got my shit together, currently working as a paramedic and have been able to take more trips since then. In my experience if you travel to espace you're traveling for the wrong reasons but that's just my opinion.
>>
I'm Canadian. I get depressed when I come back to Canada after a few months in the USA
>>
I have been there man. Just start moving forward and happiness will follow. Plus have less weed around you, the more you have the more you smoke. Plus, the more time you spend doing things (constructive things) the less you will smoke.
>>
>>1075584
Check the train schedule next time, sm.h
>>
>>1075652
Canada is pretty depressing.
>>
Hey. You post is kind of depressing for me because i left home for a trip of several month to take some distance from what my life became (sounds stupid, running axay doesnt solved problem, but at least, there is plenty of kilometers between it and i), wishing to change a lot of things when i'll come back... So... Get up, be brave, you already had a big journey, keep going
>>
>>1075521
This is literally me. Almost.

>live with parents, no rent or bills
>no friends
>work shitty minimum wage job
>save money
>travel at least 2 months a year
>rinse repeat

I know I need to sort my life out as I'm 32 but I'm happy...
>>
>>1075705
you can't leech of our parents forever you know, they are gonna die some day
>>
First World Problems: The Post
>>
There is always the inheritance
>>
I think everyone experiences this to some extent, from the 60yr old lifelong workers coming back from an all inclusive to the 18 year old gap year traveller. Large changes are hard, and suddenly being immobile after moving and travelling is difficult.

Perhaps try to approach the place you now find yourself as you would a town on your travels. If you are in a city I guarantee there are things you have never experienced, things tourists do every day. An example of this is that I lived in London for 4 years and never visited the tower of London.

If you find yourself in small town life then plan smaller trips out from your town. Work to fund these trips, travel doesn't end at your countries border.
>>
>go to europe for 3 months
>best time of my life
> come back. hate everyone and everything.
>depressed as fuck. smoke weed everyday to numb the pain.

Help?
>>
>>1075735
Funnel your depression into working your ass off and getting money and doing it again/moving permanently to somewhere more interesting.
>>
>>1075735
Where do you live in USA? A tiny town? I'm just wondering what is so depressing about being there?
>>
I know exactly how you feel OP, I lived in thailand for alittle over a year. Then moved back home to nyc, and for the life of me I just cant get back into the groove of living here. Its been close to 2 years now, im still working and trying to start my own small business but everyday the first thing I think about in the morning is wishing I could be back over there, everything reminds me of it. I feel like I wasnt ready to leave, but at the same time when I did I was so excited to go back home and chill with friends and family again. I know this is just a stupid rant, but every time I think about it I get this huge nostalgia burst and yearning to just pack up and leave again. And I wasnt just traveling and banging hookers, I made a bunch of friends in language school to keep my visa, and I had some teaching jobs and cooking jobs under the table too which were fun.
>>
>>1075652
This. Canada fucking sucks moose testicles. Hate living here.
>>
>>1075828
i wish! i live in Mexico and it's pretty depressing desu
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.