[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /trv so im going to India in 2017. The plan is to go to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 400px-Varanasikedarghat.jpg (54KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Varanasikedarghat.jpg
54KB, 400x300px
hey /trv

so im going to India in 2017. The plan is to go to mumbai, fly to varanasi, stay in varanasi for +- 3-4 weeks, and visit neighbouring Allahabad. Then go to guwahati for a week or two, then back to varanasi for a few days up to a week and back to mumbai and home.

The purpose is both touristic and (yeah you probably guessed it) spiritual. not sure bout this board but going to india in search of spirituality has to be a meme here.

My search is a bit specific. Im searching to learn more about Aghora tantra. this has been something ive been obsessed for the last 3 years and ive been saving up money to go to india since then. But now that 2017 is nearing i want to exactly plan what where and how - most of which i can do on my own. My question is about sadhus, specifically aghoris if anyone had any exchanges with them.

how do i even approach them? as in - how do i initiate talking to them? i heared everyone saying to just come up to them when they are smokeing or just sitting near their dhuni. Is tht true? just come up? what are the chances of them speaking english, if close to zero, how do i find a transelator. also, how far fetched is thinking they will even talk to me, let alone teach me anything? also, on aghoris - i heared people giving money or manali as offerings to nagas and other babas, would offering whiskey as an offering to an aghori be offensive? they do use it in some rituals.
>>
enjoy the designated shitting streets and find your spiritual enlightenment in this rotten, stinking, dirty shithole of a country
>>
>>1069305
i dont expect it to be other than a shithole.
>>
3rd world shitholes are very dangerous
>>
File: chinks killed limey.jpg (121KB, 716x678px) Image search: [Google]
chinks killed limey.jpg
121KB, 716x678px
>>
>>1069311
i realize, im not here for security dvice kek
>>
>>1069315
Hmm, interesting.

I haven't heard much about India being dangerous (other than rape, unlikely for me unless Indian men develop a taste for fat old bears).
>>
>>1069317
rapes are the least of my worries. i heard of some violence and ofcourse theft. but its nothing thats gonna kill me.
the onyl thing that sucks is the diarrhea that is inevitable.

has really no one visited india dn talked to any type of sadhu on this board?
>>
I'm probably one of the few anons here that have had interactions with aghori in Varanasi.
>inb4 realtraveller(tm)

Met an ex-sadhu that was bro-tier. He had been walking the subcontinent in the nude for about 10yrs before. Some of his old pals were aghori and we spent a day by the burning ghat in a somewhat subterranean temple, getting high with the smell of corpses rolling in. Intense.

Anyway. Not sure how to hook up like that. I suppose hanging out at Manikarnika Ghat in a lowkey way will get you the right connections in a day or two or three.
>>
>>1069353
like more or less, what was the precentage of them speaking english? did they approach you or did you come up to them?
idk if these questions sound weird but to a western idiot coming up to a group of people minding their buisness who look like a sadhu (lets face it, you want it or not you will subconciously have some prejudice) and just being like "hey guys" sound s like a good way for either trouble or some of the most awkward moments.
>>
>>1069355
No idea how many of them speak English. The sadhu I originally hooked up with was a westerner. Guess he had been there since late seventies. I was there in the nineties (yes, oldfag)

Not sure what to tell you except to get over to Manikarnika Ghat. A lot of Sadhus are just "regular" people. They do not mind interactions with anyone. Just chill and something will turn up IMO.
>>
>>1069357
sounds dank and like a solid plan. thanks senpai.
>>
>>1069366
My pleasure. Hope it turns out well for you. Maybe I see you there sometime, smoking bhang from a skull haha
>>
Alright you got me interested in this guru sandhu thing. Why are they important people? What can you learn from them? To me it just seems like a big hoax or the people who have become these things just gave up in life and took this path.
>inb4 troll
I'am serious I want to understand why so much hippy westerners go to India.
>>
>>1069373
well sadhus technically do give up, as they have to renounce family and all their belongings. but its not a hoax. its existed in india for centuries.

my interest falls with the aghoris, who are practicioners of the Aghora tantra branch, which branched off of the kapalikas with large influence of lakula tantriks.
They believe in shiva and shakti (as one whole, not two seperate entities) being the source of everything. Everything there is is just shiva dn shakti in different manifestations. basicly nondualism + monism. dankest path . ill leave it at that as explaining will take an essay, read senpai.
>>
>>1069373
>why?
Well, people that choose an ascetic path are always interesting, cause it is not what the rest of us do.
>hoax?
Most of them do not have possessions or care about money, so what is the payoff for the hoax? I'd be more concerned about hoaxes on TV
>>
>>1069378
>as they have to renounce family and all their belongings
>>1069381
>do not have possessions or care about money
How do they live than? Donations? Sleep on the side of the road?
>cause it is not what the rest of us do
True

>>1069378
>Everything there is is just shiva dn shakti
I like Buddhism more. Never liked the whole mystical god idea. But I get it, it's a big topic for another time.
>>
>>1069378
>so many words

Fuck anon, I'm not him, but this is some weird, intriguing shit. We wouldn't mind the essay if you don't mind writing it, family.
>>
>>1069389
for starters: They believe everything is just a manifestation of shiva and shakti. Siva, although also worshipped as a god, represents your thought space and space inn general. He is the static, masculine aspect of existance. Shakti is the feminine, active aspect. She is the thought, the actions and basicly anything that goes through the cycles of birth and death ( or creation destruction, degradation etc - everything). Because of this idea of nonduality (yes, its shiva and shakti which seems like two, but they are infact part of one whole. if there ws just shiva, what difference would it be if existance existed or not-it would be just as static as nonexistance, if only shakti existed, where would she create if there was no space?) and monism (everything is a manifestation of shiva and shakti) they deem everything to be equally holy which is ridiculous for indians, who believe even touching a dead person is absolutely haram. The aghoris eat dead corpses, they eat feces and eat with their left hand (also absolutely haram) as a way of realizing that everything is the same. sort of like extreme mental exercise. They walk around naked or semi naked to get rid of shame, they preform rituals on the cremation grounds at night to get rid of fear, among other things as ways to loose things that tie them to cycles of time (i like this, dont like that, im scared of this so i wont do it etc) because those cycles (called samsara) create suffering. thats also why they renounce family, like it or not family also binds you to certain cycles ( have to feed senpai, have to work etc). if you think about it, cycles of time arent as ridiculous as they sound - the human females period cycle, menopause cycle. its all cycles that pass with time.
The goal in all of this is fully realizing they are Siva - because all of us here are siva. But just reading it in a bok or right now doesnt change much to most people. They need to feel and experience the conciousness of siva cont
>>
>>1069387
>Donations? Sleep on the side of the road?
Yes and yes.
>>
>>1069412
(although there were some aghoris in legends who realized tht they are siva just through somone telling them, this depends on karma)
This siva conciousness is sometimes described as ultimate bliss. its basicly the same thing as nirvana in other words. There is no discriminating thought, or any fear. there is just... knowledge. And not book knowledge, just life knowledge if you put it at that. There are supposedly siddhis and i personally saw a buddhism monk show siddhis (mind reading, no joke) so i believe in them but to each their own belief.
he aghoris are also known for their rituals and healing. Since they believe in this strict nondualism, they are believed to be able to change matter into different forms of matter, change meat into vegetable etc, but thats usually once they achieve sivata ( realization of being shiva)
The realization of being shiva comes through raising shakti through your chakras. Your chakras are energy points along the spine, but those are only th main ones. Theres i think a few thousand chakras around the body (accupuncture points are basicly same shit) and 84,000 nadis (sort of like neural pathways) connecting all of them. You, in your body have both shiva and shakti in you, except most of your shakti in her unlimited form is within your root chakra (between benis and ass) in form of kundalini. through ritual work, meditation and yoga the aghoris raise this kundalini up to the crown chakra, sahasrana, where shiva is ( basicly to your thought space). the rituals are usually involving sex depending on tantra.

theres not much difference between tibetan buddhism and aghori tantra. They stem from the same school of tantra - the kapalikas. They just mixed with different traditions and practice things differently, but they share the same scriptures and even some saints, and some ritual objects and deities. Vajrayana ( tibetan buddhism) is a different path of tantra. paths of tantra are: kaula, trika vajray, aghor & sivasiddhanta
>>
>>1069366
Me again, the one that mentioned Manikarnika Ghat. I would not worry about behaviour around the Sadhus there, I would however mind my actions cause the Ghat is full of mourners. Just remember this.
>>
>>1069429
apart from obvious tings to avoid like obnoxious laughter and shit oud expect mourners to get annoyed with, anything weird? just so i dont get in an argument with a random dinddu
>>
>>1069430
I recall just talking to a pal there, and in retrospect it felt wrong. You are literally surrounded by people that are setting fire to their dear ones at the moment, dear ones that departed maybe 24 hours previously.
>>
i hope to see your corpse floating in the ganges soon
fucking hipster
>>
>>1069439
>can't link to whoever he is talking to
kek
>>
>>1069443
op, so tatd be me obviously
>>1069439
i can float in the river or be dry on the street, depends on which type of corpse you like to fuck bby <3
>>
Very interesting OP, I am leaving for India tomorrow and have done basically no research on Hinduism, I'm starting to think its a bit of a shame that I'll miss out on what is seemingly a huge aspect of Indian culture. I hope I can pick up a book or two somewhere.
>>
>>1069439
Let the hate flow through you. You might even become a guru.
>>
>>1069451
if youre bored just research wikipedia pages for these terms:
vedanta
vedas
shiva
shakti
tantra
agamas
aghori
sadhu
kashmiri shaivism

idk but i liked reading them and they give you a really general overview, but its atleast something
>>
Why are so many people on this board averse to travelling somewhere that isn't a comfortable European city?
I think you little bitches need to move on from your party hostel and instagram selfies. But if you can't handle it thats cool too, stay at the resort pool homie
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 248x203px
>>1069456
>What is a preference for 100$
>>
>>1069456
desu i was expecting this board to be full of trutravelers TM who only backpack etc and thats why i came here with this question. i was wrong kek, only one showed up.
>>
>>1069456

I'm in India now, used to live in Delhi and might be extending my stay another few months. Unfortunately, I'm nota very spiritual person and have virtually no interest in the sorts of things OP wants to know about.

Good luck, at any rate.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.