[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, just moved to Vancouver from nz and was wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 20151218_193509.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151218_193509.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hey /trv/, just moved to Vancouver from nz and was wondering if it's this bleak year round and if buses and the sky train are my best bet or if I should.invest in a beater of a car. Also curious about housing. What are some okay areas and so on and what's a reasonable rent rate for a single bedroom place?
>>
>>1061562

may to september gets really sunny and nice, afterwards it rains all year and is cloudy.

i rent for 800 single bedroom, in a residential house, i think apartments are a bit more expensive

transit is pretty easy unless you have to travel frequently and often. parking is really gay here, expensive and hard to find spots

also traffic is annoying in the morning and after work.
>>
>>1061568
I've seen a lot of basements for let. Is that a thing? Also does that 800 account for power/water/net etc?
>>
>>1061572
Yeah. Vancouver is really trying to increase density, so a basement suite is really easy to have.

Do you have a job yet? You don't need a car if you live by transit that goes by your work. Getting a bike is good idea probably.
>>
>>1061574
Got here on tuesday. Got a phone bank account and SIN sorted out. Gonna start looking for a job tomorrow.
>>
>>1061577
Ok. Other than Hastings, Vancouver itself doesn't have any bad places to live, just inconvenient ones. There are some real ethnic areas where you might not fit in too well. Probably best off avoiding brown town around main or fraser and south of 41.

Rent really varies by neighborhood, in general the further west you go, the more expensive. But there tends to be more white people the further west too.

If you're going to go without a car, try to be as close to the major transit routes like broadway, cambie.

Are you just here on a working holiday visa? If you're ok with having a room mate, you can live in a better place. A lot of basement suites are 'two bedrooms'.
>>
>>1061580
Got a two year work visa and I'm couching at a friends but he's not really meant to have me over for more than a couple nights. What sorts of places are good for finding places to live? Any specific websites etc?
>>
File: 1408511652584.jpg (37KB, 497x750px) Image search: [Google]
1408511652584.jpg
37KB, 497x750px
>>1061562
Hey OP, I lived in Van for 18 years, Some tips.

>really expensive city, save your dollars when possible (food can be cheap though)
>if you can get a place near the skytrain or one bus stop away you are golden, the skytrain takes you across the entire city as well as other areas
>Get some raingear, it can get fucking depressing

http://www.padmapper.com/search/apartments/British-Columbia/Vancouver/

Have fun, be sure to go hiking and check out the coast!
>>
>>1061603
Craigslist especially if you're looking for renting basement suites. If you're looking at apartment complexes I suggest you start walking and writing down phone numbers if you see availability. Apparently a lot of the buildings in downtown and kits don't even bother posting their vacancies online any more because vacancy rates are soooooo low here. So if you find an area of town you really like you should walk around and see if any of the apartment buildings have openings.

Vancouver is expensive as fuck, you can find cheaper rent in Burnaby and if you live close to the skytrain it's really not that bad. I live in New West and it takes me around 35 minutes to get to downtown, which is not much worse than what people who live in Kits have to deal with.
>>
OP here, found a place that looks decent. 2 bed 1 bath, laundry in the buildings basement and about 5mins walk from Scott station. 900 a month. How easy is it to find a second roommate and where is a decent place to get some cheap furniture etc? Thanks for all the advice and info so far. It's extremely appreciated.
>>
Check out the free stuff on craigslist for getting things like tables and shelves. There's a Ikea that has some stuff.

I like the foam mattresses on amazon. Order one for your bed, and then get a second one, put a bunch of pillows on top and use it for a couch.

For a roommate just keep putting ads up on craigslist. If you mention skytrain proximity and are ok with a asian student you'll be fine.
>>
Born and raised in Vancouver and surrounding area myself. OP I would avoid that 2 bedroom place near Scott Road Station (which is a shitty part of Surrey/Delta and is almost on par with Hastings on Vancouver. I would highly recommend paying the extra 100dollars a month and renting in Burnaby or New West for a couple reasons - 1) because it's closer to downtown and 2) anyplace in Surrey near the skytrain is a shithole, not a word of a lie. My friends condo is right by the Scott station stop and when I visit we sit on his balcony and watch the crack and meth heads getting into stupid shit with cops all the time.

Vancouver and the surrounding areas are fantastic to experience as long as you don't worry about the rain. Hiking, skiing, biking - basically anything you can think of is possible here so don't waste your 2 years being depressed that it's not 20degrees and sunny all the time. Enjoy!
>>
>>1061934
I was mainly looking at that area.since it's near enough to transit and most of the people I know here are in Surrey. Thanks for the tip though. I might sit down with the guy I'm staying with and go through a bunch of listings. Also that place.was down off 104th if that makes a difference
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.