[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time travelling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: P1010814.jpg (5MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P1010814.jpg
5MB, 4608x2592px
Hi all. First time poster long term lurker here.
After years of thinking about travelling and not doing it, i've finally jetted off on an adventure.
Im spending
>1 month SEA
>1 month India
>1 month Nepal.
>I'm young male white etc

I'm one week into the first part of the trip and I just wanted to give/recieve some advice.
So far I've been Phnom penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok, and am currently in Ayutthaya as I make my way north in Thailand.

Advice for first time travellers
>Money:
You'll lose more in transaction/atm fees than you'd expect. plan for this
On the first day you arrive in any city/place there is a strong chance you'll get ripped off. This is okay, as you haven't learnt the way of the land yet, and don't know whats worth what. Don't stress it.
It's okay to spend more than usual when you first fly into a place. after twenty hours of flying theres nothing you need more than food/rest.

Advice for me (plz):
I'm a week in and have spent nearly my entrie budget for this leg (I'd saved $1k nz for each "section of the journey - flights are already booked) But i've manage to get together an additional 400nzd that I've been owed. My plan is to head to chaing mai and just live like a local for the next two weeks for both money saving and immersion.
Is this doable?

Scams/touts
I've gotten good at avoiding both of these, and the only real spots that i've been ripped off have been when I'm new in town and don't understand the taxi going rates. Managed to avoid all others, though there has been A LOT. No matter how much you research you really aren't prepared for the reality of it.
As a general rule - don't trust people. if something doesn't seem legit it probably isnt.

>Drinking
Have self control.
I stupidly got way off my face in my first night in Phnom Penh, nearly died of alcohol poisoning and lost $250US to a dodgy tuk tuk driver (In hindsight, the fact his tuk tuk said "Poor tuk-tuk" should of been a give away).
>>
File: P1010330.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P1010330.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
But yeah, most of the stuff I've learnt so far is probably quite self explanitory, and obvious to anyone who (unlike myself) has half a brain.

Willing to take absolutely any questions, as I'm not to sure what else to say about the rest of my journey.

After SEA my flight from Bankok is to Chennai, where I was planning on using the 3 weeks to make my own way to Dehli to fly out.
Then the flooding happened. I'm now considering flying directly out of Chennai airport to somewhere less ravaged, any suggestions?
>Yes I'm making this trip up on the fly. The only real things I knew I would do before leaving were hike to base camp, visit ankor wat/the killing fields and ride a motorbike through india.

>NEW YEARS
I also have not made plans for New Years yet. Will probably be in chiang mai when this occurs, has anyone been there and can say what its like?
Not looking for partying at all, just some good Asian big fireworks, in a nice setting.

Oh, and to anyone who plans on visiting Cambodia, s21/the killing fields - Buy the audio tour! - are a must see. I went with a base understanding of the conflict, and left feeling hollow inside. Its a life changing experience.
For the full impact i'd reccomend reading the book "First they killed my father" by Loung Ung. It's riveting in everyway.

One last piece of SEA advice - in Cambodia you will see a lot of landmind victims. This is the reality of one of the most heavily mined countries in the world. Unless you have experience viewing and witnessing people with devasting injuries, you will not be prepared for it even if you think you are.
It's soul crushing.
Or I'm just a softie.

I'll also apologise about the way I've written this post. After abstaining from caffiene for the last 2 months I've tried a Thai redbull. My mind is everywhere.
I'll add more photos up as people don't do that enough, and am happy to dicuss anything Southern Asia related.

Pic is from the timelapse I took of the Angkor sunrise.
>>
File: P1010529.jpg (6MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P1010529.jpg
6MB, 4608x2592px
If a monk tries to bless you then says you owe money - scam. Monks ask for donations, and generally from locals not whiteys
If a tuk tuk driver takes you somewhere you don't want to go, refuse to buy anything from the place and they'll eventually let you leave.
Don't buy anything from street kids. It's the same marked up imported crap they sell in the foreigner markets, and it encourages the kids to skip school.
In fact, dont buy any of those shitty knock off tourist trinkets, these help neither the economy or the people you buy from. If you want a genuine long lasting item, get something reasonably priced from a local craftshop. they are around, and yes they aren't as "cheap" as you'd like SEA to be, but at least your tourist money helps people in need rather than adding to them problem.

Also the earlier you can get to ANYTHING you want to visit the better. The only thing harder to deal with than the heat are busloads of chinese tourists.
>Pic related, anything for a selfie
>>
>>1060438
>giving travel advice after 1 week in SEA
>>
>>1060470

>giving advice after getting ripped off multiple times and spending nearly $1k USD in Thailand in a single week
>>
File: P1010644.jpg (7MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P1010644.jpg
7MB, 4608x2592px
>>1060475
>nzd. so 500USd.
I'm sorry SEA is not Real Traveller enough for you. Cambodia was certainly far harder than I expected from a first destination, but I'm sure the first time abroad you did the DRC with no issues.
Also, is that not the point? You make mistakes, learn, then help others avoid doing the same?
Also, 90% was more asking for advice, and the rest just letting people know what I've experienced.
Fuck. I'm getting defensive on an online image board.
It's amazing how much emotional attachment you get to things you've seen and done, even if others find them of little worth.
Was going to use this thread as a sort of journey updater - not many people post photos on this board post travelling, especially southern asia such as India or Nepal.
>Tl;dr I'm a little bitch, but instead of critising you could just hide the thread.
>>
>>1060479

Please do continue to post pictures and keep us updated on your trip. I will be doing the same shortly. Just please be careful not to go overboard with the advice ;)
>>
>>1060438
I have a question for anyone that may know.

I plan on taking a trip to Thailand. Sometime while there, I want to go to Cambodia to see Ankor Wat.

What's the best way to get there while in Thailand? Train, bus, fly?

How difficult will it be? I only know English and pretty good Spanish.
>>
>>1061534
Anybody?
>>
>>1061534
From Bangkok you take the bus (faster,more frequent) or train (cheaper) to the border town Aranyaprathet, cross the border on foot (try not to get scammed to pay more money than the visa cost of $30), then take a bus to Siem Reap (don't take the bus right after the border post, read wikitravel about the location of the legit buses).
Alternatively, you can take the bus directly from Khao San Road. It can cost like 300 baht which is cheaper than you'd pay on normal buses, however, they'll try to scam you royally on the visa fee, by making you wait in expensive roadside restaurants on the road when the bus stops, then they'll drop you off late at night vary far from the center of Siem Reap to force you to stay in their hotel. You can stock up food for the whole day and bear with it though.
You can also fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap which is much more expensive than the bus.
>>
>>1062056
>You can also fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap which is much more expensive than the bus.

Yes, but still pretty inexpensive (I'm seeing one way flights of under $100) and a shit ton easier.

Where you balance ease vs. cost will vary, of course.
>>
>>1062056
>>1062071

Thank you.
>>
>I'm one week into the first part of the trip and I just wanted to give/recieve some advice.
Really faggot

You just reposted whats written in every single "intro to SEA" article or blogpost.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.