[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you guys not annoyed and depressed by the fact that you can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (322KB, 1280x1001px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
322KB, 1280x1001px
Are you guys not annoyed and depressed by the fact that you can only travel around this tiny dot and you were born to early to get to see the wonders of the galaxy with your own eyes?

Travelling the world looks boring to me
>>
Will it ever be enough? One day we'll wish for inter dimensional travel, then we'll still be wanting more
>>
>>1059879
>Will it ever be enough? One day we'll wish for inter dimensional travel, then we'll still be wanting more

No, I think I would be entirely satisfied by interstellar travel, hell I'd probably be mostly satiated with interplanetary travel within this system.

>inb4 some retard says "just do drugs!"
It's not the same, it really isn't.
>>
>>1059879
I'd be satisfied with just this galaxy
>>
>>1059876
>Are you guys not annoyed and depressed by the fact that you can only travel around this tiny dot and you were born to early to get to see the wonders of the galaxy with your own eyes?

no.
>>
File: fg8.gif (18KB, 700x178px) Image search: [Google]
fg8.gif
18KB, 700x178px
>>1059876
Wanna get more annoyed and depressed? We've had the ability to do this for decades now but the technology is being kept away from the average joe. Good news is that the technology will eventually come out.
>>
>>1060041
>intergalactic travel
>with air intakes
derp.

>>>/x/ stay there, please.
>>
>>1059876
>>1059876
If I were to be annoyed and depressed about anything, it would be that I only have 100 years to see the wonders of the universe. There's more than enough of Earth to keep me entertained for so much longer than that ... but we'll all die before having scratched the surface of what's available to us.
>>
>>1059981
With the exception of Antarctica, and submarine travel I've been just about everywhere else, I am starting to feel like the fish who has finally bumped into the glass wall of his tank.
>>
While I'm madly into traveling the world, I have absolutely no desire to ever leave our atmosphere. I have no interest in anything space related. There's plenty to see and do on our planet, it's really incredibly diverse and one lifetime is not enough to see it all.
>>
>>1059876
The dot isn't as tiny as you think.
>>
>>1060062
>I only have 100 years

If you're lucky.
>>
>>1060133
<giggles pour from my mouth, drowning my cat and spilling into the other rooms>

My gosh anon. There are entire worlds that are unknow, there are places that are so profoundly bizzare and different that it is difficult to express. THe Earth is fantatically interesting, but everywhere you take these details for granted.

What I would give to see the lakes of Titan, or a gyser on Triton as Neptune looms in the sky, the sun small and distant. To visit an asteroid, or a comet where the horizon is hardly a distant frontier, and where gravity is such that the dust you kick up from the ground will linger slowly as it falls, not driven, by wind--there is none--but falling neatly in slow arcs back to the surface.

And that is just in the Solar System. Can you really honestly say there is nothing to see? Even truly nothing, the emptiness of interstellar, or even interplanetary space, must truly be a fantastic thing to see. Any direction you look, darkness.

I like the earth, but given the chance to see these places, fantastic places, on Earth, or to see that which has never been seen, yea never imagined before, I cannot imagine remaining here.
>>
Air Intake should really be Energy intake starting with Light and split into waves and particles. Pretty much like the way the sun works by wraping its energy up and reusing it.
>>
>>1060131
It's pretty tiny, and boring now if you've grown up watching documentary footage of it on tv.
>>
File: 1355193734129.jpg (368KB, 1191x599px) Image search: [Google]
1355193734129.jpg
368KB, 1191x599px
>>1060090
This. There's a ton of shit to do on Earth.

I used to be one of the people who thinks there's nothing worth seeing on Earth, as it's all been discovered, and Google Maps exists, so why bother doing anything or going anywhere?
The only time I ever thought that was when I lived in a suburb, sitting inside staring at computer screens all day. When I got out of that environment, and actually started going outside and doing stuff, my appreciation of it changed completely. Even today, I still sometimes think "why bother" but it's only when I'm sitting around. Physical movement does a lot. As soon as I'm actually out doing stuff and exploring, I just want to do more of it, and I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

Earth IS a fantasy world.

>>1060158
Go play Elite: Dangerous.
>>
The observable universe is 93,000,000 lightyears across.
>>
No man's sky's coming out next year m8, just hang in ther until then
>>
Not really, theres so many different landscapes, cultures, cities etc to explore and experience that thinking of space travel just makes me long to see the milky way or various nebulas.

Theres no point worrying or getting sad over the fact that we will never experience that in our lives because we won't.
>>
>>1059876
Not really desu senpai. Theres so much to see in this world atm, so much diversity between places and peoples. By the time space travel will be possible for the masses the world itself will be homogeneous
>>
File: Babylonin loppu.jpg (89KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
Babylonin loppu.jpg
89KB, 500x296px
>>1060332

I hope u are wrong...
>>
Am I the only one who's bored of earth landscapes and cultures?
>>
>>1059876
Have you experienced and became bored of everything this world has to offer? Have you even traveled at all?
>>
>>1060359
seconding this
>>
>>1060131
>The dot isn't as tiny as you think.

It's even tinier, much tinier in fact.
>>
File: dudebro.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
dudebro.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>>1060287
>There's a ton of shit to do on Earth.

Sound like an excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Oh yeah man you just got to know where all the best dive bars are.
>>
>>1060374
2007 called; they want their image back
>>
>>1060344
He is, genetics don't work in that fashion.
>>
>>1060287

>Earth IS a fantasy world

Why is this giving me feels...?

But nah, I get where you're coming from. I've wanted to travel ever since I was young, but I occasionally depressed myself thinking about how I'll never see the age of space travel or interstellar exploration, should we ever get to that point. However, when I'm out and about and traveling just for me, I couldn't care less about what's on the moon or Mars. That's not to say that my curiosity isn't diminished, but rather, there is more than enough here on our own planet to keep me happy, content, satisfied, and continuously curious.
>>
>>1060417
Ditto.
>>
>>1059876
>>1060356
>>1060372
>>1060374
>>1060417
I think about it this way. The human mind (and all forms of life before it) evolved to process and experience Earth and Earth alone. Only very recently in the lifespan of our species did we begin to reach outside of our atmosphere. Until space travel is common and accessible, we will only ever think about the universe around us in a theoretical sense. The only thing that matters in an experiential sense is Earth, and therefore one can be completely fulfilled by using the mind and the five senses to experience as much of the world as possible. If you make an honest attempt at doing that, you will not be concerned with the outer reaches of the universe while you do it.

Side note: I think this is part of why there are still people who don't believe evolution is a thing. We have lifespans of 80 years, give or take. Evolution often takes place over the span of millions of years. Millions of years. We can't even begin to intuitively or instinctively process what a million years mean, so we use math and science to understand.
>>
>>1060857
I think about it this way. The human mind (and all forms of life before it) evolved to process and experience Home an Home alone. Only very recently in the lifespan of our species did we begin to reach outside of our small nomadic communities. Until transcontinental travel is common and accessible, we will only ever think about the Earth around us in a theoretical sense. The only thing that matters in an experiential sense is the small region my nomadic band inhabits, and therefore one can be completely fulfilled by using the mind and the five senses to experience as much of the savanah as possible. If you make an honest attempt at doing that, you will not be concerned with the outer reaches of the planet while you do it.

Side note: I think this is part of why there are still people who don't believe evolution is a thing. We have lifespans of 50 years, give or take. Evolution often takes place over the span of millions of years. Millions of years. We can't even begin to intuitively or instinctively process what a million years mean, so we use math and science to understand.
>>
>>1059876
why would i travel to some empty rock in space where nothing can live when i could be experiencing the diversity of human cultures right here on earth?
space exploration is cool and all but it's mostly pretty dead out there.
>>
>>1060968
It's most likely pretty alive out there, seeing as there are trillions of habitable planets in this universe.

You're missing out on alien cultures beyond your wildest dreams
>>
>>1060990
>trillions of habitable planets in this universe.
[Citation needed]

I want to agree with you, but I cannot until we get further evidence. The fact that we do not have enough evidence to say either way, is a big part of why I would want to get off this planet.

If I go from my home to, say, Tibet, thats cool.
But I have met people from Tibet. There are huge numbers of people who go there all the time. I can read about it, talk to peopel about it -- it is basically unerstood.
If I were to have the chance to go somewhere else, say Haumea, I would be going somewhere where, 'no one has gone before'. Anything I see will be new to not just my eyes but to human eyes. The processes that shape that world are not fully understood today. There are papers written about it, but they are speculative. If I were to actually get to travel there it would be an incredible, unique, and very excitin thing not just for me but for the advancemtn of human knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to go to Tibet, I am sure it is a fascinating place, given the chance I would go there. But it is travel on a very different scale from space travel.
A flight to Tibet is like walking to a new neighborhood of the same city--its different, but in many ways the same thing. If you had the choice to go to a different neighborhood, and to go to a different continent, which would you choose?
>>
>>1060966
Interesting point, but it's misguided. Everything on Earth is within our grasp because Earth is what shaped our collective ability to explore (at least evolutionarily; if you want to argue that we've now transcended our evolutionary predispositions, that's another discussion).

Nomadic tribes may have only ever known and cared about their immediate surroundings, but they could have explored (and indeed eventually did so), because all of Earth is tied together by certain constants -- the same 24-hr days, the same 365-day years, the same biochemistry and physics. The point you made was more of an argument for nomadic tribes' ignorance of their own abilities; they were like horses that didn't know they could jump the fence and leave.

Space throws all of that for a loop and thus is drastically different than any other exploratory leap that humankind has made.
>>
>>1060066
Why don't you do some high doses of Psychedelics if you're so interested in "seeing something new." and I don't mean literally because that won't make a difference, not that trying to run away from your own life ever did anyone any good.
>>
>>1061001
I get what you're saying about "anything I see will be new to not just my eyes but to human eyes," but there's still tons of cool places to check out on Earth. Caves, abandoned mines, remote regions, etc.
>>
>>1059876
No.

No point in being upset with something you can't change.

I mean, are you annoyed that one day within the next century you'll die?

Of course not. I hope.

Besides, the amount such a trip will cost even if we did have the tech for it would be astronomical. It'd be a top 1% thing, and you'd probably need years to do it.
>>
>>1061142
Don't get me wrong--I love the Earth. I do not spend my days looking at the stars as I longingly gaze at the stars and dream of leaving.
The Earth is fantastic. It is huge and beautiful and incredrible and deeply fascinating. I love it. It quite easily is the best place to live in the solar system. I am not sad to be stuck here, and will be fully satisfied if I live and die without leaving the atmosphere.

The thing is, given the chance, I would leave to see something else. The Universe is so big, that if I could leave to see even a slightly larger, slightly more diverse sliver of the Universe, I would.
>>
>>1061131
>not that trying to run away from your own life ever did anyone any good.

Maybe run away from someone else's life?
Don't fuck around, staying where you are won't make any difference either.
>>
>>1061829
but traveling might actually be fun
>>
It doesn't matter what the rest of humanity has discovered. We are not a single collective mind. We are a myriad of individual organisms. The first thing that should matter to you is you in the present. Experience things for yourself. Not for others experience.
>>
File: clouds-yosemite2.jpg (190KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
clouds-yosemite2.jpg
190KB, 700x525px
>>1059880
>interplanetary travel within this system
>having to wear a spacesuit on every other planet

nah, i'm fine being unencumbered on just this one
>>
>>1061869
>>1061869
>implying wearing a space suit wouldn't be cool and fun regardless of how cumbersome it is
>>
File: Main-Big-Sur_1.jpg (61KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
Main-Big-Sur_1.jpg
61KB, 620x413px
>>1061873
for a little while, sure. but being limited to being in a building or a suit the entire time you're there? nah. too many sensations lost.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.