[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working/doing business in Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1434186206414.jpg (706KB, 1280x1171px) Image search: [Google]
1434186206414.jpg
706KB, 1280x1171px
Thinking of moving to Japan and doing remote work/contracting (programming), currently live in UK and have UK passport etc
Already have tonnes of experience in programming but I really hate where I live and just want to experience life in a different part of the world but where its still relatively modern and has some kind of functional legal system and isn't corrupt.

Would it be tough to get a business visa as a contractor or as a startup? Are there parts of Japan where the cost of living isn't ridiculous like in Tokyo? I would rather not spend my entire earnings on fucking rent like this stupid jew country.

Feel free to suggest other countries btw
>>
>>1059185
Easiest visa in the scenario you are describing would be as an investor or business owner. That requires you to prove you would have some net positive impact on the economy and not just a kid with a laptop doing oddjobs. However, that can be expensive to demonstrate and document in order to secure said visa.

Have you thought about job hunting for a british/American/ canadian firm that will:
1. sponsor your visa
2. May assist with relocation costs
3, pay for benefits such as insurance

I mention the last one because despite having a spectacular healthcare system, health insurance for a non-citizen that is not at least partially subsidized by employers can still be ruinously expensive. Not like the US mind you, but still expensive,.
>>
>>1059185
why not china ?
>>
>>1059191
Never really considered but I heard the government are repressive and corrupt bastards

The country seems nice from what I have learned but the people have really been fucked up by gommunism
>>
>>1059185
Don't know all the details, but I know vaguely that first you'd probably have to appoint a rep who is a resident of Japan already and a physical office space to register the company? You'd need to have a set amount of capital too, but I don't know how much.

I think it would be much easier to simply get sponsored by an existing company and come over as an employee. Then who knows, you could probably make connections here and get into forming your own start up or whatever eventually.

You will not make fantastic money as a programmer in Japan though. Good money but not great. The US is where the real money is as I'm sure you know.

And the cost of living in Tokyo is really not so ridiculous. Significantly less than London. I'm not inferring that you live in London, I'm just using it as a point of reference.

>>1059191
Gee I don't know... in Japan you get air that isn't dangerous, democracy, faster internet, no oppression or censorship, girls are better...
>>
>>1059613
>no oppression or censorship

They have no freedom of expression over there.

Back when the JSDF sent a small group of soldiers to act as guards in Iraq, the government straight up jailed a few journalists who criticized the prime minister.

Japan has never cared for your silly western "civil liberties".
>>
>>1059616
Sup, Zhang Wei? Are you enjoying 4chan? Good.
>>
>>1059613
>first you'd probably have to appoint a rep who is a resident of Japan already and a physical office space to register the company? You'd need to have a set amount of capital too

Pretty much this. You need a local partner and need to rent office space before you can apply for the visa. Initial capital required is 5 million yen, so about USD40,000 at current rates. I'd guess that between this sum, plus necessary travel, office space rent, legal fees, payment to the local partner, application fees, etc., etc. you'd need at least USD60,000 in free cash to do it.

OP, if you're not tied down to any one physical location, why not move around on tourist visas? Do 3 months in Japan, 3 months in Thailand, 3 months in Hong Kong or Malaysia, 3 months in Japan, rinse and repeat, etc.? You'd see more of the world and wouldn't have the large initial expense (most of it, if not all of it, unrecoverable) that an investment visa entails.

If you come to Japan, pretty much any city outside the Tokyo-Osaka urban conglomeration is affordable. There are plenty of short-term (week-by-week or month-by-month) furnished rentals available, which helps keep you from being assraped by predatory Japanese landlords.
>>
>>1059191

because smog
>>
bump for interest!

Any non-software engineer here who went to Japan and got a job?
>>
My other thread >>>/biz/995638
>>
Bmpu
>>
>>1059185
>implying UK is a jew country
>implying you have no idea about the history of your own country
>implying modern politics and liberalism isn't to blame for 90% of current first world problems

So, if you are unhappy with where you are, then move somewhere else? Don't move to another country because you lack social skills in your own. People will only excuse your ignorance for being foreign so much.

If cost of living is important to you, and you are a programmer who works from home, network yourself and move to Mexico. Cheap living and 100k income a year is like 800k income in Mexico.
>>
>>1059613
>in Japan you get air that isn't dangerous, democracy, faster internet, no oppression or censorship, girls are better...
Try traveling and working abroad before shooting your mouth like this.

I've worked my way around Asia but honestly don't feel any reason to help you.
>>
>>1059913
Japan is a country where nearly everyone is middle class and pretty much anyone that wants to go to college can and does go to college.
If you don't speak the language and you don't have an in-demand skill lacking in the country (software engineer, English teacher) you have to think why would they hire you over a native that doesn't need an expensive visa to even start working. If you can think of such a job then its simply networking.
>>
I don't meant to crush your dreams, but software development is horrible in Japan and much of Asia. They have their own practices and patterns that are just straight up shit. Truthfully, China or Taiwan might be better choices if you're a programmer.

Being a coder just isn't a highly regarded occupation in Japan. It's bizarre, but it also fucks them over since the US destroys Japan as far as software goes.
>>
>>1059185
>and has some kind of functional legal system and isn't corrupt.

Then Japan isn't the country for you, doofus. Educate yourself about their legal system, you'll see. Or the "efficiency" of their police". Or the "freedom of speech" of the media.
>>
>>1060643
Japan dominated the tech industry when most electronics hardware was focused mostly only on the hardware. Now that software is on top they've fallen way the fuck behind. Hardwares importance is coming back so they may have a shot once again.

I've never worked at a Japanese company, only a startup in Japan with no Japanese staff, but the few people I talked to that had worked at Japanese companies previously said it wasn't too different, just the quality of code was lower. The biggest problem is CS education in Japan is not very good and that old people who have refused to adapt any technological advancements since the 80s bubble still run the companies and don't take advice from anyone who is not their age.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.