[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In my opinion, Angkor is massively overrated. Your thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: angkor.jpg (148KB, 380x672px) Image search: [Google]
angkor.jpg
148KB, 380x672px
In my opinion, Angkor is massively overrated.

Your thoughts?
>>
>>1057670
>In my opinion, Angkor is massively overrated.
Most ruins are like that. You'll find people disappointed by all of them. Get yourself really psyched up in history and archaeology, maybe even some fiction, so you can feel it come alive. It aint gonna be like in Indiana Jones, that's for sure.
>>
File: P1110007.jpg (6MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1110007.jpg
6MB, 4608x3456px
>>1057670
Opposite reaction, I thought the Angkor ruins around Siem Reap were amazing. The "miniature" temple Banteay Srei (pic related) was my favorite.

But >>1057672 has a point -- ruins can be just old fallen-down buildings unless you know something about them.

Your opinion is valid for you, of course, hope you had a better time elsewhere on your trip.
>>
>>1057676

OP here

Thats subjectivity for you because I thought Banteay Srei was the most boring and disappointing. Especially after the tuktuk took about an hour to get there and it bumped the cost of the day tour up to about $30
>>
>>1057680
>not renting a bike and doing the trip at your own pace
>>
>>1057670
I thought it was even better than expected. It's just incredible (not just the main temple, the whole area feels like being in another world completely).
>>
>>1057680
>>1057759
Yeah, don't get a tuktuk. You can rent a bike for literally a couple of dollars for the day, then make your own itinery.
The thing is, it's a fucking ancient city. Of course you're not going to feel like Indiana Jones when you're queuing for the top of Angkor Wat or the Bayon at the height of tourist hours. But there's literally hundreds of different ruins/ buildings/ temples, so if you get away from the top 5 sites or so, you could have one to yourself.
I went to the Gate of the Dead and there was literally no one else around. Climbed it, turned over rocks and found some scorpions, got lost in the jungle, and hacked my way back.
>>
>>1057680
>Thats subjectivity for you

This is a point /trv/ can bear in mind. People like different things -- there is no right or wrong answer to questions about what people like.
>>
>>1057670
>In my opinion, Angkor is massively overrated.

In my opinion it isn't.
>>
>>1057759

Fucking hell, it was exhausting enough just walking around the various sites in the baking heat, let alone cycling for hours to get to them as well
>>
>>1057983
motorbike dumbass, this isn't the Netherlands.
>>
I like this gimmick
>>
File: IMG_2318.jpg (2MB, 3648x3648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2318.jpg
2MB, 3648x3648px
That's too bad. While the crowds were a bit oppressive and the beggars were everywhere, it lived up to the bucket list standing I had for it. I'd go back.
>>
I saw a bunch of monks there and they thought my brother looked like Harry Potter.
>>
>>1058007
Was there in the "rainy season," so there were really few people there, which was great. It rained one afternoon for about 45 minutes...

>>1058009
SEA monks are the best.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.