[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone taken the Trans-Siberian Railroad all the way across Russia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: trans-siberian-train.jpg (66KB, 450x341px) Image search: [Google]
trans-siberian-train.jpg
66KB, 450x341px
Is it a good idea?
>>
>>1056927
kek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4darCRBJW4
>>
>>1056940
fucking best episode. And Karl sums up the railroad nicely. Merchant says it's great because it's the longest railroad on earth and Karl retorts something like "they just took the worst thing about it and called it a feature."
>>
There was an InTransit series on it
>>
I don't get why the trans siberian gets so much attention. There's trains in America. Ride the train from Chicago to California and see if you like it, before you go to Russia.
>>
>>1056991
The Southwest Chief?

I took it from Chicago to New Mexico, yeah fuck Amtrak.
>>
>>1056991
Not the same though, is it, in terms of ambience, social interaction, and general atmosphere/experience?
>>
no its a bad idea. its really boring and you will spend most of your time getting drunk with dirty, stinking russians who swear all the time
>>
File: 1434351081183.png (75KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1434351081183.png
75KB, 499x499px
>>1057200
>implying this is a bad thing
>>
>>1056927
I took the train from Moscow to St. Petersburg, from St. Petersburg to Krasnodar Krai, and then back to Moscow. The middle one of those took about 24 hours (I think? It's been four years). Shit sucked in summer, man. A/C only runs when the train is moving, the windows can only open a crack, if you're on the slow train it stops a lot (it lets express trains pass; this means it gets VERY hot, even for someone from Arizona like me), and the other passengers can range from friendly to sketchy as fuck.

The most pleasant ride I had was the last train, when I paid extra for the faster train (and I think also first class?). That was mostly because I got into the same cabin with a nice family who offered me potatoes the whole time.

Anyways, if you have any Russian friends, ask tell them that you want to do the Trans-Siberian. Many will probably laugh in your face. But if you do end up doing it, don't do it in summer.
>>
>>1056927
Im russian, but i moved to new york when i was little with my parents... Have heard a lot about life there. Mom says long train rides everyone has that spirit of travel where you meet people and talk... After all you are on this train for days and days. It's a spiritual experience for this reason... You end up telling people you may never see again your deepest secrets and fears... Sounds cool. Id do it.
>>
>>1056927
If you have the money do Golden Eagle. It enhances the experience while still behave no able to get drunk off vodka with stinking russians
>>
Guys I am in china at some point in the future and have to get back to Europe. Would this be cheaper or comparatively priced than flying?
>>
>>1058418
In a word, no
>>
>>1058378
>Mom says long train rides everyone has that spirit of travel where you meet people and talk... After all you are on this train for days and days.
Lol no. 99% of passengers on the Trans-Siberan trains travel 20-30 hours max between the stations along the route. It's not reasonable to take the train all the way because flying is cheaper, much faster and much more comfortable.
>>
>>1058418
The cheapest ticket from Beijing to Moscow costs around $500, and don't forget you need to eat something for 5 days. If you need a Russian visa add its price too.
>>
>>1056927
>Anyways, if you have any Russian friends, ask tell them that you want to do the Trans-Siberian. Many will probably laugh in your face. But if you do end up doing it, don't do it in summer.
>>>
I migh be a bit late but I'm a local that has taken the train to Moscow several times, t's a 2.5 day ride.

I'd be happy to advise
>>
I'm local and judging from my personal experience of riding a train, there are the only things you can see during such a trip are dilapidated villages and forests.Srsly,don't see any sense in doing this, travelling by train is not so romantic as it may seem,especially in mother Russia.
>>
>>1056991
Because its the longest train line in the world.
>>
>>1057191
>ambience, social interaction, and general atmosphere/experience
Unless you mean the extremely expensive private services, you're overestimating the ambiance.
>>
I went in January. Don't do that. Russia is white, and flat in January.

I suppose it is probably flat all year round.
>>
>>1058569
you can leave the train, you know
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.