[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching English in China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: DSC02813.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02813.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
Hi, Im a 19 year old girl researching ways to teach english in China.
Im actually just wondering if anyone has any experience and would like to share?
How did you get the job, whats it like teaching in China, what do i need to make look out for etc.

Hope for some replies, thanks!
>>
>>1054013
Everyone I know that has taught English in China has always said they had a blast, up until their contract ended, they wanted to get a new job, etc. Every single one of them said their last 1-3 pay checks were with held and never paid out. Literally every single one.
>>
Go to university first, 4 year degree minimum (Education preferred but not required). However I know people in Australia who only finished Year 12 and are teaching in Europe so who the fuck knows.

I'll be real with you, TEFL teachers are a joke. You're pretty much a clown/babysitter, you aren't a linguistic expert nor are you typically educated in education itself if you do a degree not in education. I haven't done TEFL but it interested me and I looked into it; shit pay, no respect/terrible reputation from retards who can confuse than & then.

If you like the idea of teaching, go into education (Primary/High school take your pick, go High school as Primary is female dominated and it gives you more growth; I'm a male Australian primary teacher and I wouldn't trade it for the world but I know that primary lacks a career ladder of sorts). Become an actual teacher in a country which actually values education (LOL) and enjoy a decent standard of living.

Or go to uni, do something better than an education degree (See: Anything) and get a good job.
>>
>>1054022
ironic how in the sentence where I am ripping on improper grammar I end up fucking up my sentence.
>>
4 year bachelors degree or TEFL certification is technically required but there are loads of stories of people getting by without. Although without either one expect shitty money and your company to take no liability in your employment should immigration come asking questions. Also this is unrelated but I'm quite certain your picture is of a temple complex in Thailand and has nothing to do with China
>>
>>1054022
Well you're negative as shitt
>>
>>1054028
I would say I'm more cynical than negative but whatever floats your boat.

What I've said is true, sorry if I have caused offence but I'm just being honest. ESL Teaching is one of the lowest paying jobs within the teaching profession (which is generally low paying itself).

Not many countries respect teachers as professionals, would you give a doctor and a teacher the same amount of respect? What about lawyer? Police officer? The profession is generally easy to get into and is mediocrely paid, you don't exactly get the cream of the crop in this profession (Some of the greatest people i have met are teachers mind you).

Society doesn't see education as a long-term investment, admin wants results on paper ASAP so fuck the kid struggling, throw the book at him till he disengages and drops out entirely or goes on meds! Whats that? You want to help him? Fuck you, the school and 3rd party testing groups made a backroom deal, teach the shit we give you or suffer the consequences.

Sorry, I'm drunk and projecting.
>>
>>1054031
I'm talking about domestic teaching here rather than TEFL with my gripes, in TEFL this shit wouldn't matter as you are most likely there for yourself.

TEFL is just "see this country and play games with children 30-40 hours a week". I mean let's be real, you didn't do TEFL cause you wanted to help kids, plenty of kids domestic to help (and usually in worse conditions)

You did it so you could see a country and get paid to fuck around in it (literally).

Do uni, get a degree, do TEFL for a year or 2 after as a holiday and then enter your field your degree is in; Don't make a career of TEFL, plenty o higher paying jobs with the exact same benefits/better conditions.
>>
>>1054013
be non-asian (best results if white)
be native english speaker

done!
>>
>>1054013
I'm currently doing this! I'll monitor this thread to help where I can.

>How did you get the job
I sent my resume to 10 different companies on Daves ESL Cafe. 4 responded, 2 responded quickly, I researched those two companies and went with the better one.

>whats it like teaching in China
Pretty sweet, pretty easy. There's bad classes, sure, but 90% of the classes are a breeze, and I only work 12 hours a week (officially, LOL). There's a reason people come here to teach and never leave: it's an easy life.

>>1054021
This happens, but there's precautions you can take. When you sign up, the first year it's a good idea to go with a reputable company. You make a bit less money because they take a cut, but working with a company gives you access to better cities and schools. Also, they can help you out with language barriers, paperwork, and they make sure you get your money. Ask the company to put you in contact with a few teachers working for them, and ask the teachers how good/bad the company is, if they've ever held off on money. If the company refuses to let you talk to their teachers, run, it's a bad company. A good company has nothing to hide.

>>1054022
You seem to be a very bitter person.
>TEFL teachers are a joke
I've found this is a common opinion in major cities only. My company has a lot of people in cities <1mil people, and my colleagues say they're treated very respectfully, other teachers come to us for advice, the students ask us for help on difficult English homework, lots of students ask for additional tutoring (extra money, oh yeah). It's probably because the big cities have seen so many sex travelers that just want to loaf around and half-ass their classes. Smaller cities are very excited to have you around.

Con't
>>
>>1054013
Also check out the China general: >>1048897
>>
>>1054475 how much money do you have to have saved up before you go to china also do they help you with housing? I really want to go and teach in china next year do you work in a city??
>>
I just finished two years in Beijing. China really isn't all that great but I'd dismiss what others are saying about the pay being poor, especially for your age. I was getting about 3000 usd a month at my company (I have a bachelors degree and a tefl). Expect to be paid less of you don't have a degree. Most companies will provide a tefl for you. The best money in China isn't even in the classroom, but tutoring. I was tutoring three kids and was making like 150 usd an hour. Do research into your company before making any decisions and avoid agents at all costs. The bigger companies like rise, dot kids, Disney and best learning all are good with paying on time, but having worked at one of those companies, I personally think they're shit.
>>
>>1055888
from where are you
>>
>>1054013
U will get mugged and raped. U are pretty stupid
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.