[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel warning for US Citzens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: TravelAlert-614x201.png (6KB, 614x201px) Image search: [Google]
TravelAlert-614x201.png
6KB, 614x201px
I saw the US Government released a warning for US Citizens traveling to Europe due to the terrorists activity recently. I already have tickets to go to Italy in like 25 days, I'm going regardless of the warning. But I'm just wondering what stuff I can do to make myself not be such a "American" over there just to avoid being a potential target. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>1053554
source?
im going feb 9th... going regardless
what warning
>>
Tell them your Canadian. There is way less hostility towards them.
>>
>>1053555
why are you acting so shocked? Highest alert is where its at all the time, really. Check travel.state.gov whenever you're going somewhere if you want to know what (the US state dept) currently is the warning status of your trip destination. It's a pretty useful website by region, city, and might list things like crime against tourists, from gypsy stuff to cafes or things to be aware about. It also lets you register yourself much as you would a float plan or hiking thing, just so someone knows where you are.

I'm going to tell OP if you want to look like a local, wear a european brand of something, like your shoes or some adidas crap, or else look a touch more fashionable or slightly more businessy, as is the norm in Italy. American slob-comfortable and casual wear isn't typical of a local. They'd have on fashionable pants or a sweater over the shoulders. Women wear skirts, not shorts and sleeveless isn't good for visiting churches.

I think you'll be fine in Italy, but the usual warning to think on your feet, avoid crowds/demonstrations, sports gatherings, and such. Fanny packs/man purses are more common than backpacks. Avoid it all, if you must, by wearing something under a jacket when in crowds.

If you were a policeman or someone with some kind of training, you'd not sit with your back to a door when dining or in a store. Awareness always is just what you do to avoid being a crime victim, and applies to terrorist stuff too.
>>
>>1053554
you're not going to get bombed, don't be stupid
>>
>>1053555

>U.S. Embassy Rome informs U.S. citizens that the following locations have been identified as potential targets in Rome and Milan for terrorist attacks:

St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City (Rome)
The Duomo and La Scala in Milan
General venues such as churches, synagogues, restaurants, theatres, and hotels in both cities are possible targets as well.
Terrorist groups may possibly utilize similar methods used in the recent Paris attacks. The Italian authorities are aware of these threats.

U.S. citizens are advised to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings. We encourage U.S. citizens to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.

http://italy.usembassy.gov/acs/security.html
>>
I am going in January to the based V4 countries, should be no worries given their stance on refugees aka terrorist.
>>
>>1053573

Italy hasn't been taking in Refugees but they have threats
>>
>>1053590
probably because its the face of Christianity and holds alot of landmarks related to Christianity.
>>
Is there a list anywhere of the U.S. areas that the terrorists said they want to target?
>>
>>1053596

Washington DC and New York City
>>
should I be concerned if I'm just traveling within the US?
I'm moving from California to Ohio in January...and this kind of has me on edge.
>>
>>1053614
Yes they will try to attack here too but don't worry too much about it
>>
>>1053614
Kek Ohio would be the last place for an attack
>>
>>1053614

Don't worry about it lad. Yes there is always a possibility of shit going down anywhere in the US. But I'd say it's far less likely in Ohio. They want symbolic targets like DC and NYC. However yes, anything could happen anywhere. So it's good to remain vigilant. But don't be fearful. That's what those kebab bastards want
>>
>>1053644
this.
Plus, keep in mind. the website that posted the alert was for International Travel, citizens going from the US to other countries.
flying within the US is safe (to some extent) Security won't even let a kid with a Buzz Lightyear toy through. on top of that over 50,000 flights take off and land safely daily. that being said though, you can never be to complacent.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 604x340px
>>1053660

>you can never been too complacent

I think you meant- You can never be too prepared
>>
>>1053644

To be honest, I think it'd make more sense for terrorists to attack some no-name Ohio town than New York or Washington, D.C. Won't they sow more fear if Americans think that their little town or city could be a target just the same as a metropolis?

Anyway...

>>1053554

You'll be fine, dude. I've been to a few countries with travel advisories and "do not travel" warnings and never had any problems.

You're going to Europe, not Afghanistan. While the potential for being caught up in a terror attack does exist - and doubtlessly US nationals will be caught up in any endeavor which is focused around major cities and tourist attractions - the chances of you being in just the right place at just the right time are minuscule.

Practice situational awareness, keep your eyes open, and don't look like a massive idiot. Being alert and a little on edge will, if anything, help you guard against the much more real and likely threat of pickpocketing, mugging, and petty theft.
>>
You're way more likely to get pickpocketed than shot by terrorists. Calm the fuck down
>>
>>1053673

Isn't pick pocketing common?
>>
>>1053614
>should I be concerned if I'm just traveling within the US?
I think to have concerns is normal, but you have to keep them in a realistic sense. It should not really affect any of your travel plans with the exception of a more scrutiny in the airports currently. Probably a touch of a longer wait in TSA lines, could be slowed down, and might need to add time to your arrival at the airport, consequently.

Personally, if I was really paranoid and wanted the best safety feeling.... I'd avoid crowd-like gatherings that were targets in the past. I absolutely wouldn't do a marathon, see a politician (or hopeful) go speak if the crowd wasn't invite only, or attend like an international soccer game...and might ignore some kind of thanksgiving gathering such as in NY or american holiday thigns like fireworks displays. And, then I'd feel really low risk. For this season, I might avoid some mega-shopping mess if I'm to think what might be a target, I'd go ahead and avoid it, if I wanted to minimize some kind of a local concern. When I dine in a restaurant, I face the door anyway, to watch who comes in and out, kind of a good idea not to be unaware of robbers or some kind of trouble anyway. Listen to your gut about people and appropriate behavior, and report them. If you are spiritual, you will likely get a seriously bad feeling about people walking in darkness, and its reported by victims the world over that they instantly knew something was wrong with their attacker (preceding a crime).

General rambling above. Excuse the disorganization. Live and let go. So do not live in fear, but outside of the prep you need (like a Go Bag or pantry that allows you to last through some kind of local chaos, and having a cash on hand, and a full tank of gas to evacuate some kind of disaster), you simply take your preparation and then kind of file away the fears. Just be aware with correct phone apps what is going on at all times, and then maybe use some prudent caution.
>>
>>1053598
Cops and soldiers all over Manhattan. Don't be a pussy. Get out and enjoy.
>>
>>1053560
If they bombed St. Peter's that would probably start a war on Islam by the West.
>>
>>1053593
Catholicism dickhead
>>
>>1053554
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPzN2gD3PQ
>>
I was there in September and everything was fine to me. I had a great time. A couple of my friends are there right now for 6 weeks and they seem to be having the time of their lives.

Europe is big. The odds of you being a victim in a terrorist attack are extremely thin.
>>
>>1053557
Don't be a pussy.
>>
>>1053560
I've just been to the Duomo and the Scala a few days back... Duomo seemed to have armed security anyway, Scala had nothing. Milan is not nearly as nice as the rest of Italy anyway.

>>1053573
Yeah, you should be more worried about pickpockets in crowds, or being ripped off at restaurants than anything else. Just reading V4 makes me want to go to Slovakia...
>>
>>1053554
Stop being a coward
>>
File: 1448446055537.png (467KB, 386x432px) Image search: [Google]
1448446055537.png
467KB, 386x432px
>>1055117
> Europe is big.
>>
Wow. As a German living in the Netherlands I can only shake my head while reading this. What weird ideas do you guys have about the situation here? Okay, I would not exactly go and visit Paris right now, but Europe is not Paris.

This sort of paranoia is the only thing that keeps those bastard terrorists alive. Just stop giving a fuck, let the police do their work, keep a close eye on what laws about privacy your government suddenly wants to push, and keep an eye out while in traffic. The latter is gonna be your biggest statistical lifesaver.
>>
>>1055335
As an American, this. After 9/11 we were encouraged to get back to our normal way of life as soon as possible but at the same time to keep an eye out for anything that now looked suspicious. The best thing to do is get on with life and not be fearful.
>>
>>1055333
>for you
>>
>>1055142
Didn't really like Slovakia, however Hungary is a beautiful country.

Also I live in Paris. Cops are everywhere. I wouldn't worry if you avoid some unprotected areas. The whole Bataclan thing was specifically because the whole area is rarely protected, unlike touristic hot spots.
>>
>>1055335
>>1055340
Thank you, normal anons
I thought i was alone
>>
>>1055335

>This sort of paranoia is the only thing that keeps those bastard terrorists alive.

No its not?

What is it with this obsession of Europeans to blame EVERYTHING on themselves. The simple reality is that you have no influence on these guys at all. They don't give a flying fuck what you think.
>>
>>1053590
As italian we are buried in souht saharian refugees.
>>
Don't travel, stay inside, death is everywhere, can't trust anyone
>>
>>1055504
yeah they care so little that they're willing to blow themselves up to make us mad
>>
>>1055873
>>1055504

Drifting off topic, there is a board to discuss international politics if you really want to do that...
>>
>>1055873

You really think they are doing it to make you mad?

Its insane how self-absorbed you are.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.