[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching english in Taiwan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 0

Hi,
Im a norwegian girl, planing on going to Taiwan next year to teach english. I don't have a college degree, and I'm not from en english speaking country. Does anyone have any experience getting a job without this? Possible to still get a work permit?
Would getting a TEFL be a good idea? Thinking of doing a 120 hour TEFL course.

Also if anyone has experience teaching in Taiwan, it'd be great to hear!
>>
Hvorfor et bilde av rompa di?
>>
is pic related?
>>
>>1052998
I lived and taught in Taipei for 2 years.

No, you can't get legal teaching jobs. You can't get a work permit and residency card (ARC) from the government unless your passport is from an English speaking country (US, UK etc..). There is no way around that. Also you're meant to have a degree too but I was never asked to show my original degree, only a scanned copy or sometimes never even asked. It's easy to provide a fake or photoshopped version of your degree.

One method: try and find an (illegal) cash-under-the-table job. It's not a great idea but possible. Since you won't have an ARC you'd be teaching on a tourist visa and you'd have to fly to Hong Kong and back every 180 days to renew it (tourist visa is 90 days, extendible to 180 days). I knew a few people who did this. I have to say they never made much money...

You could enroll in university there and get a student visa (and ARC) which would mean you wouldn't have to leave the country every 180 days. You could then teach (illegally) on the side. University in Taiwan is pretty easy, not much work. Most students I knew barely ever went to class. I don't know about fees but it was either cheap or they had scholarships. There are also modelling jobs around if you're white and attractive but these are pretty unstable. Most foreign models are students and model part time and don't make much money.

Being white and female (preferably blond/attractive) will be your main advantage though. Also helps to know people there and network as much as you can.

tealit.com is the main site for jobs. Why not just apply (with a picture) and see if you get any replies?
>>
>>1053013
Porque es dulce commo jugo de manzana
>>
You can translate stuff over the internet from the comfort of your own home.
>>
>>1053018

this advice is relevant for me too, I guess. I'm English and was in Taiwan for a few months over the summer and now i'm pretty desperate to go back. 1 year away from my degree so illegal teaching would be my only option i guess? While i was there so many people told me that i'd be able to do it, no problem.

Is it really as simple as just getting back over there any posting an ad on tealit?

I know the whole deal with visa runs and what not
>>
>>1053129
I knew a handful of people without degrees who were solely teaching on tourist visas. They had to do visa runs every 6 months though. To be honest most of them didn't last long and returned home within a year... lack of cash I believe. It can be a struggle finding a stable job with enough hours, even if you have all the paperwork.

I shouldn't say this but it would be very easy to produce a fake degree or photoshopped degree. I had 4 jobs in 2 years and was never asked to show my original degree. The most I had to show was a scanned JPG copy. You can say you left your original degree at home if anyone asks (nobody asked me).

As for finding jobs obviously Tealit is the main site and there are a few more obscure sites that I've forgot the name of.

Also just networking. Chances are if you know say 10,20,30 foreigners in Taiwan and ask around someone might have some work opportunity for you.... you might want to try and rent a shared apartment with other foreigners, that's a good way to meet people and grow your network.

Taiwan is an awesome place to live... you might have to hustle and network a bit to make it there though. If you've already been there then that's a good start, you know what to expect. Have a bit of cash saved up for emergencies and in case work dries up.

You can also live very cheaply if you want to... eat cheap/local food, buy your beer from 7/11... rent/share a cheap shitty apartment
>>
>>1053231

thanks for the help. Private tutoring is a safer option I guess

I could live off of beef noodle and BAR beer forever.
>>
>>1053018
Excellent post.

Further to this, your only options are likely to be kindergarten jobs. I don't know about you, but in my eight years that was the hardest age group I've taught. And I've taught 5 to 55.

You'd also have to get to Formosa first and then get a job. It's not like East Asia where you can sort it out online.

I mean, you could, but you'll actually end up paying someone to find you a job.
>>
Who deleted the photo?
Is /trv/ really this uptight?
>>
>>1053362
I agree that kindy is the absolute worst age group for teaching. I would never take a full time kindy job.

At some schools I had to teach perhaps a couple of classes per week of kindy / first grade and I always dreaded those classes. They were always the first class of the day.
>>
>>1053365
>Who deleted the photo?
A mod obviously, what was it of?

Meme pics are generally deleted. Mods never explain their reasons but I assume it's to encourage people to post actual travel pics.
>>
>>1053365
What is it the frog? Pepe always gets deleted if it's the opening photo
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.