[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /trv/ afford exuberant air costs? It's about $1,000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: airbus-bike-seat-640x640.jpg (94KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
airbus-bike-seat-640x640.jpg
94KB, 640x426px
How does /trv/ afford exuberant air costs? It's about $1,000 roundtrip to Europe and 1,500 for Asia. Maybe I just have a skewed view of money, being a dirt poor college student. It's frustrating because I have wanderlust bad.
>>
>>1046173
You probably just don't know how to find affordable flight tickets. Return to Europe can be found from around €270,-. Don't know about USA-Asia, but return Europe-Asia starts at around €300,-.
>>
>>1046176
I was using kayak, leaving from east cost US. Checked multiple times of the year and they're roughly the same.

Am I wrong? Where should I be looking?
>>
>>1046177
Okay. First, it is very interesting to follow certain websites that post cheap flights and stuff on their website. I don't know any American websites for this but I am sure they exist. This is a British example: http://www.holidaypirates.com/flights. Of course this will not help you directly so a few options:
- Norwegian Air Shuttle. Dirt cheap flights from Boston, New York, Orlando, Miami, and some west coast cities to Europe (mainly Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm and London). Just a quick look shows me a $299,20 return flight JFK-Stockholm in February. Yes, this is a low cost airline, so expect to pay extra for luggage, food, seat selection, etc.. But just don't be picky and take your own food. Return flight to Bangkok can also be found here for under $800,-, but they are maybe not the best option for this.
- WOW Air: Just a quick look shows me a sub $380,- return ticket Boston-Amsterdam in January/February for a month. Same goes for flights from Washington. You can also consider flying to Reykjavik, spend some time there and then use for example EasyJet to fly cheaply to Edinburgh.
- Be flexible with other airlines. But KLM tickets during their sales. Fly with Condor or something from Florida (not sure about this) to Germany. Cheap tickets are everywhere.
- For combinations of cheap flights use skypicker.com . They are awesome and gives you a lot of flexibility. Also skyscanner.com can be great of course.

So, if you have specific dates/origin/destination or something, maybe I can take a look.
>>
>>1046177
Often search sites also give you different prices, depending on from what country you are searching.

when I check kayak (from Germany) I can for example find flights JFK to Munich and back in January for 620€ with turkish airlines (how about some skiing in bavaria?). Seems quite reasonable. I am flying to Las Vegas from Frankfurt in Dezember, and back from San Francisco for around €700 with KLM, and a flight from Munich or Frankfurt to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore can also often be found for around €500, so you should also be able to puzzle a trip to asia for under $1500.

Since yousay you are a dirt poor college student, you probably have enough time to waste to search for various combinations and legs, that might easily safe you quite a bit of money. In my example above, the short trip to las Vegas instead of SF directly saves me roughly €200. Sometimes, you can also save by picking small, backwater airports as a start (but sometimes they also are more expensive). If you have the time, invest the 5 minutes to see what a flight to the next cities would be costing. e.g. if you want to go to Frankfurt, look for Flights to Stuttgart too, for Vienna, check also Graz and Pressburg, and so on.

Its just a question of how much of your time you want to trade in for money saved on tickets.
>>
>>1046176
Cheapest you'll find USA - Asia is a little under $1,000 USD from the East Coast. Average is about $1,500 -$2k. West coast can be a cheaper by $300-$500 dollars average.

We are crossing entire oceans, non-stop. It costs more. Your 300€/£ to Asia is our flights to Central and South America, but /trv/ types don't seem to be too interested in the Western hemisphere, for whatever reason
>>
>>1046238
Yup, you are completely right. Flights to Central and South America from Europe are not cheap at all. If you are very lucky you will find a €550,- return flight to Bogota or Rio/Sao Paulo. Asia is usually cheaper. Flights in South America are horribly expensive though, where flights in SEA are dirt cheap.

Using skypicker I found some sweet sub €650,- return flights from east coast USA to either Manilla, HCMC, Singapore and Bangkok, though, but that's still fairly expensive. The key is always the low cost carriers though, if possible. Also sub €500,- from the west coast, btw.

While ago I found a nice route for less then €800,- which was:
Netherlands - Bulgaria - UAE - Phillipines - AUS - NZ - AUS - Singapore - Thailand - Norway. IIRC every leg was with a low cost carrier.
>>
>>1046225
>Pressburg
Germans still use German names for Eastern European cities? Nice.
>>
>>1046247
No, but Austrians do.
>>
>>1046260
Germanfag here.
I just turned 18 and when I was is geography class I learned the old names too.
>>
throwaway ticketing
right now I can do NYC to most european cities for 290 one way by making moscow the final destination,
>wagecuck now so cant do this for fun anymore
>>
>>1046177
Have you looked at skyscanner?
I can normally find SFO - Asia travel for $5-700, but a lot of the time it's with China Southern. I'm also seeing New York - Amsterdan for $500, as long as you've got the flexibility to fly on the cheap days. Just try putting in your home airport and a flight to Anywhere
>>
>>1046509
>>1046509
>SFO - Asia

But he's East Coast and his main focus seems Asia. You can't get around those tickets being generally expensive. I said before you can find tickets from the West Coast at $500
>>
>>1046177
Wednesdays, departing at least two weeks later.

Use comparative websites like Skyscanner or Expedia and observe the stopovers, i.e. check if it would be cheaper to go to the stopover by train or ferry than to buy a plane ticket there as part of the package.
>>
>>1046511
I was just using it as an example. If he really wants East Coast - Asia he might have to get 2 flights, one domestic cross-country, then one from the West Coast to Asia
>>
>>1046238

I'm incredibly happy that I branched out and took a trip to Colombia a few months back.

In regards to your post, I don't know whether or not I'd agree with your "price standards." The most I have ever paid for a single flight ticket was $1,100, and this was after I had to fork over $250 to bump my departure date backwards a bit. This was on a trans-Atlantic flight with KLM going to New Delhi. I've flown from the United States to India several times and normally pay between $800-$1,000 from DTW.

I flew to Istanbul for $600 from NYC, Iceland from NYC for $250 (and then onward to the UK for less than $100), etc, etc. I'd say the most I'd paid for a flight to Europe is $700ish. So far as Asia goes, depends on where I"m traveling, but no more than $1200-$1300 from either DTW or Chicago, unless I'm going somewhere very off the grid, in which case it might be better to book to the largest major hub and then take another, separately purchased flight, bus, or train.
>>
>>1046839
Not negating or even disagreeing with your experience, do you think that correlates with the average prices from the average airport, for the average lead time on flights?
>>
>>1046847

I think it depends on where you live and whether or not you're willing to travel to catch a better-priced flight.

I think somebody who lives in Boise, Idaho, might have an incredibly hard time getting anywhere in the world for a fair price. However, I think folks who live in the more populated parts of the United States have some creative options to allow them to travel without going completely broke. If you book in advance and from a large, regional center for air traffic, you can have some luck keeping fares down. Even though it's about $250 for a round-trip ticket to NYC and back, that option can still save hundreds over flying from Detroit.

I check flight prices to places on a near weekly basis and usually do so whenever I'm not traveling.

If you're not very picky about where you want to go, it's not hard to get places. I will admit that, as a young person without much of an agenda, I don't really give two shits about where I fly into - if I want to see Spain but the cheapest flight is to by Paris by a margin of several hundred dollars, then I'll fly to France and take a bus the rest of the way.

Here's what, based off what I've noticed, I would consider standard from DTW:

Western Europe: $400-$900, depending on where and the time of the year
South Asia: $750-$1250, depending on the time of the year
Southeast Asia: $900 (rare)-$1650, depending on location and how far ahead you're booking

If you're talking about an "average" airport, then I'd say no, these aren't standards. Rates from my capital city of Lansing are miserable, which is why I prefer to go an hour and a half out to Detroit to fly. Same goes for Flint - you can save a thousand dollars on an international trip by switching from Lansing or Flint to DTW or Chicago.
>>
Americunt here
I have found roundtrip from JFK to Beijing for as low as ~$800, roundtrip to Copenhagen for 370, etc. All using Kayak. don't expect these prices on popular travel dates, but it is definitely possible to travel affordably.
>>
Holy shit this thread is filled to the brim with morons and children.

No, your price aggregate websites all scrape the same shit. There isn't some magic website out there that magically pulls down cheaper flights than the others do.

No, scheduling flights for a wednesday and departing x weeks later while wearing green and standing on one foot are almost always no cheaper than other comparative weekdays. Airlines have algos built in to maximize their price regardless day of the week, flight capacity, or duration.

No, you don't get to be an international jetsetter when you're a poor student who lives off ramen and shitty pizza. This is the way it's always been. Travel is generally expensive and reserved for those who have the resources to make it happen. It's almost like you're in school for a reason... Imagine finishing your degree, saving some money, then traveling.
>>
>>1047867
Hurdidur...
>>
>>1047982
Sorry snowflake. Truth hurts.
>>
>>1048013

Not that guy, but the "truth" is that your "insight" is just as meaningless and obvious as everything else which has been posted in this thread. International travel has always been difficult? Airlines base prices off algorithms?

WOW, what a fucking shocker.
>>
>>1046181
Thanks a million, anon!
>>
>>1048055
You are welcome, dear anon.
>>
1,000 is fairly good stuff if you're a working trades-person.

If you ain't, com'on son. Trades is the best.
>>
>>1046173
>>1046238

where are y'all getting your numbers from? y'all are dead wrong. Beijing flight I almost booked was like 650$. Iran is like 700$. Turkey 450$. Vietnam like $600. Sweden and russia like 350-400$. all from JFK. Only country that rarely gets cheap is Japan. search harder on google
>>
>>1048908
>JFK
not everyone lives in NYC or close to it. JFK has on average has the cheapest flights in the country. And still doesn't dispute the OPs main point was Asia
>>
>>1049017
JFK isn't the only major airport on the east cost. Every place I mentioned was in Asia, buy more importantly, like the second poster said, it's probably that op doesn't know how to search for flights. he should should at least be searching with flexible schedule. even Google flights has competitive rates compared to other cheap sites
>>
>>1049035
I live about 2.5/3 hours from Atlanta, depending on traffic. Granted, the only Asian destinations I have needed were for the Middle East and Thailand and the cheapest I have seen were just under $1000, maybe close to 7 or 800 for the Middle East. But depending on the time of year and how far out you buy your tickets they can be closer $1.5K-2K. Flexible dates sound nice, but for people with real jobs and obligations that's not always an option.
>>
>>1047468
I live near Kansas City, I've been trying to shave every last dime I can off a flight to Cancun around NYE. I've gotten it down to $450 via SouthWest
>>
Are budget airlines not a thing in America?

I'm in Iceland and going to Asia is expensive as hell but I see flights to Boston, Toronto and Washington for like $150 and flights to Milano, Vilnius and Salzburg for like $130, more popular destinations like Copenhagen, London and Berlin are from $80

obviously this is shitty airlines on selected dates but as a budget traveler I take what I can get
>>
>>1046225
>>1046225

>Pressburg

Not everyone knows what that is. Its a really old name that one uses anymore, maybe if youre trying to look too cool. Poszoni makes Slovaks mad.

Also jack shit flies from BA. We usually book our flighs from Schwechat, even if its almost a 2 hour trip to Wien

>source: Bratislava resident
>>
>>1050225

We do have budget airlines but they're nowhere as cheap as those in Europe. I flew from Iceland to Edinburgh for only a couple of hundred dollars, and had booked my flight to Reykjavik from JFK for between $200 and $350.

I also had a London to Lisbon route purchased for $60, but I wound up changes my plans and hitchhiking to Germany to visit a friend instead.

I live near DTW and "budget" flights are usually at least $100 and only work for major destinations like NYC, Miami, and Chicago. It costs quite a lot to fly out to California (relatively speaking), Dallas, and so forth. It's not terrible, but Europeans can take pretty long-distance flights between countries for much less than it takes for me to fly over a couple of states.
>>
>>1046173
it is not that much, bro.
go on skyscanner or download their very very nice app.
it literally scans all airfares and gets you the guaranteed lowest one.
Booked a round trip ticket new york to berlin for $356 dollars.
>>
>>1050225
>Are budget airlines not a thing in America?
Europeans forget you fly to countries like we fly to different states.
>>
>>1046173
It's not that hard. I save about $200 a month and by the end of each year I have enough for a week in another country. Cheap but fun, this is how you do it.
>>
File: us-europe-3.gif (77KB, 550x524px) Image search: [Google]
us-europe-3.gif
77KB, 550x524px
>>1050408
>Europeans can take pretty long-distance flights between countries for much less than it takes for me to fly over a couple of states.
>>
>>1050638
This
>>
>>1047468
These numbers are pretty close to the prices the OP was complaining about
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.