[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tokyo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: wallpaper_51.jpg (3MB, 3966x2644px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_51.jpg
3MB, 3966x2644px
Your experience around Tokyo and newcomers?

Was thinking about moving there for a year or so. Please tell me more dolan.
>>
>>1039377
I haven't properly lived there, but i've been there a bunch of times.

First question is: Do you speak Japanese?. Most people in Japan don't feel confident enough about their english to strike a conversation with you. Some of them will plain ignore you mostly because of this reason. This can be acceptable during a 1-2 week trip, but I imagine it can very quickly make a dent and take a toll on you after a few months.

Are you planning to work remotely? I'm in IT so I've been considering getting a remote job in the future, and spend 6 months there or so. Still just an idea.
>>
>>1039384
Well. I don't actually. I wish i did but i dont. Ive heard that but i didint know if it was true. Im working as a nurse in Sweden so im guessing that finding work will be hard?

Is it expencive to live there? I wish i could work as an IT guy but i dont. Im not that good.
>>
>>1039387
If you don't speak Japanese, your choices are not looking good. Even on IT, which is a highly globalized industry, there are very few jobs over there that don't require business level Japanese proficiency.

The only exception being an english teacher, there's plenty of people with ESL jobs here in /trv/, so they might be able to give you some pointers.

Im living in Berlin right now and I think food prices are quite similar. You can get a very low-cost (and a bit low quality) meal at a Yoshinoyas for about 4-5 eur. A regular bowl of ramen should be around 6 eur, nothing too fancy. Getting a nice menu at a moderately priced restaurant should be about 10-16 eur. Going out for drinks and some food at an Izakaya should be about 20-40 euro per person, depending on what you order of course. Beers have more scandinavian-like prices, costing 2-3 euros per large can in a convenience store.

Inside the city, public transportation varies depending on the company and the distance. It's usually about 2 euros per trip on average.

You can get some shared accomodation on small private rooms through airbnb for as little as 400 eur / month, which is good if you consider that a Japanese landlord would probably not rent you directly anyway.

All in all, I think you can live, without luxuries, for about 1,100 eur per month if you don't cook, stick to cheap places and like to drink on the weekends.
>>
Why do so many people want to go to Japan long term when they don't speak Japanese?

Is it the typical American mindset of the world having to bend to your will and speaking English? Otherwise I don't see how do you plan on living a fulfilling life here.

And I live in Tokyo now, is there anything specific you want to hear about?
>>
>>1040527
>>badmouths Americans for wanting to live in Japan
>>Isn't Japanese, lives in Tokyo

>>is there anything specific you want to hear about?

Yes. Why are you such a hypocrite?
>>
>>1040528
Because I'm not American and because I spend last 5 years studying Japanese before I moved here, you damn weeaboo.
>>
>>1040532

Thanks for admitting that you're a hypocrite. Hell, thanks for stating that everyone who isn't American is a hypocrite. I'm sure your Japanese hosts would appreciate knowing you think this of them, but somehow I have the feeling that they already have enough to hate you for. Now get over to the conbini and buy yourself something suitably plastic for dinner, just a like a real salaryman would.
>>
>>1040527
It's unbelievable the ideas and stereotypes of otherwise educated and intelligent europeans have of American people. I'm a latin american living in Germany right now and ooooh boy, they can be downright retards when it comes to stereotypes of American people.
>>
>>1040539

The really annoying thing is how fucking smug Europeans are when they give you their stupid opinions. At least stupid Americans are friendly and usually mean well.
>>
>>1040540
They seem very certain of that sort of opinion. Every time. It's kind of like a religion, it does not matter if you show them numbers to prove them wrong. It's plain willfull ignorance.
>>
>>1040540
>>1040553 here.

I remember one time when one Greek coworker told me that USA had the highest cancer rates in the world because all of the GMO food. I told him that GMO food is all over the world these days and there is no avoiding it. A few days later, I sent him a link with the cancer rates per country in the world. USA was not the highest, it was Belgium. Even then he refused to acknowledge he was in fact wrong. That about sums up the attitude here.

Sometimes when I talk to people I tell them I'm thinking of moving to the states in order to be closer to my family, and it surprises them every time. Standard reply is along the lines of "why would you even go there" kind of thing.
>>
>>1040534
>>1040539
>>1040540
>>1040553
Whenever I think people from the US can't be more ignorant and disrespectful, they always go lower.
>>
>>1040566
Whatever floats your boat dude. We're having a civilized discussion here and you are pretending to be attacked every time. I'm off to take a shower.

I'm done feeding you.
>>
>>1040568
For the record, I wrote only this one so far, not that invested. >>1040566
>>
>>1040527
>OP works as a nurse in Sweden
>OP is American
okay pal
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.