[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been to the obvious places in America. NYC, NOLA, Boulder,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: nowhere-america.gif (245KB, 2275x1654px) Image search: [Google]
nowhere-america.gif
245KB, 2275x1654px
I've been to the obvious places in America. NYC, NOLA, Boulder, San Fran. It's a huge country, and as I continue seeing the country, I could use some help for when I'm in places like the midwest, or the north west south.

So let's have a thread for nowhere america.

I'm going on a roadtrip, and some of the states I'm having trouble planning my route through are Northern Alabama, Northern Mississippi, Arkansas, Western Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah. I enjoy day hikes, but I also love a good drinking town. What does /trv/ know of more or less along this route?
>>
>>1035797
You are having trouble planning for Montana Utah Wyoming and you say you love hiking?
>>
>>1035808
No, he said he LIKES hiking -- he LOVES drinking.
>>
>>1035808
Correct.

>>1035810
Correct.
>>
Going to Arkansas tomorrow, would appreciate anything to do
>>
>>1035797
In western mo... Kc is a fun place. The power and light and westport are fun at night. And the ww1 museum is cool as fuck.

As for hikes in the area. I say hit up the missouri department of conservation websight they have tons of trails and shit to do.

If your looking for a nice long hike or bike, there is a trail called thr katy trail that runs from st louis to eastern kansas city
>>
>>1036147
Crystal bridges
>>
>>1036180
kc is awesome, i grew up there. alot of people dont realize what a unique city it is. i recommend the katy trail too. and if youre in kansas, theres only like one cool town, which i live in, called lawrence.

if youre in arkansas, all i know to recommend is eureka springs.. its in sort of an unexpected hilly/small mountainish area that i never knew was there, and its like no place ive ever been. its known for good and evil energy vortexes, and theres also a massive jesus statue similar to the one in rio de janeiro, but you know, much crappier obviously.
>>
also just a few recommendations that are places on my list, only based on things ive heard, not personal experience.

rapid city, SD
missoula, MT
jackson, WY
moab, UT
park city, UT
salt lake city, UT
cedar rapids, IA
whitefish, MT
provo, UT
ames, IA
lincoln, NE
just some places to look up and consider.
and there are endless cool places in co, az, or and wa imo. basically most of the western half of the us is cool.
>>
>>1036285
Ayyy Missoula, MT is the shit
>>
>>1036285
>ames
Ames is pretty much just a college town, not that impressive. Des Moines is cool though.
>>
>>1036312
awesome, glad to have that confirmed
>>1036315
yeah thats what i sort of thought, you just never know. sometimes little college towns can be interesting and unique : P
>>
Skip North Dakota... seriously.

With the exception of the south west corner of the state you will see nothing... for hundreds of miles.
It is more flat than you could ever imagine and there isn't even anything to see in Fargo.

Just warning you now. I lived there for two years.
>>
>>1036312
>>1036318
i think i actually had a really bizarre spiritual dream calling me to that place before i even knew about it.. in the dream i was seeing through an etheral lense and i was flying around the hills and all around the town and i walked on the water of the river and stones rose out of it to build a bridge. then a spirit of someone familiar to me, who i loved, appeared. i cant recall who it was but it was someone who is still alive i think. at the end i remember seeing through the eyes of a native american woman hiding under a bush in the hills from men that were hunting her.
>>
>>1036320
it was so heavenly and peaceful, but unnerving and discomforting at the same time.. now im uncomfortable.
>>
Missoula
>>
>>1036181
>>1036283
Doing it today.

>>1036180
>>1036283

I'll be spending a lot of time in MO with my friend Jack, so I should be able to check those things out.

>>1036312
That's what I hear.

>>1036319
Well, that's the only part of the state I'm traveling through, so that's good, but honestly I love plains.

>>1036320
It's a sign. You should move there and live in the mountains.

Wish me luck /trv/ I love you guys, best board on the chan.
>>
Denver is pretty cool. Been to Craig and Dinosaur and I just loved how isolated they were. Rock Springs in Wyoming was pretty cool, as well as Dubois and Cody along the wind river. In Montana I just went to Red Lodge after driving along beartooth highway and I really liked the place.
Idaho falls, especially downtown was nice. Salt Lake was also a good surprize, especially for drinks ! Moab and monticello in utah too !
>>
>>1036448
yeah i agree that its some kind of weird sign, im definitely planning on at least visiting the place in the near future
>>
Since no one said anything much about it, Nebraska has a few isolated good pockets. This time of year, Lincoln is all about college football... seriously, the University of Nebraska is /the/ thing in the state. Almost everyone bases their entire happiness on how good that football team is. So if you pass through Lincoln on a weekend, spend some time downtown and experience a football game. You seriously won't regret it, especially if you like drinking. If you act like a tourist, you'll get as many free drinks as you want from literally anyone. Nebraskans are the nicest people on the planet. And they aren't being condescending - they are seriously nice.

Besides football, western Nebraska is a weird place. Desolate. Highway 20 (might not be 20, but it's a number in the 20s) in the northern part of the state I believe has a stretch that goes about 100 miles without one gas station, and it is the major highway in Northern Nebraska. There is nothing there. It's a weird feeling driving and not seeing a car or a gas station and the only thing you pass every 15 minutes is a 'town' of 15 people with a 2 or 3 trailers... But the land is beautiful with rolling sand hills leading to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Don't waste your time going to 'traditional' Nebraska monuments like Chimney Rock, it's a piece of shit and looks nothing like the pictures make it seem. Nebraska is one of those places that's cool because it's just nothing for hundreds of miles... If you like just aimlessly traveling and the land never changes, Nebraska is a good place.
>>
I spent a year working in Pinedale, Wyoming, and that area of the state is really pretty. It's about two hours south of Yellowstone.

Also, western American food is amazing. Just have a plan for what to do with all those calories
>>
>>1036614
any other noteworthy towns in NE? i live in KS and want to take a weekend trip up there soon!
>>
File: pepe of pepes.jpg (2MB, 2560x2489px) Image search: [Google]
pepe of pepes.jpg
2MB, 2560x2489px
u dum fuck u no nuthin jon snow
>>
>>1036448
>best board on the chan.
so true

>>1036649 i dunno about this post, but dat image brings a tear to my eyes with its compelling commentary on life in late capitalism
>>
>>1036147
Get in nature in AR. The state is mostly poor and backwards. There are some bright culinary spots here and there but most of the food is typical fried Southern fare. Cothams in Scott is alright and is worth the drive out of Little Rock.

But as I said earlier, it's the nature that makes the Natural State that makes the state worth a lick. Head up to Petit Jean is you have time. Check out Pinnacle Mountain is you don't have as much time.
>>
File: West Virginia.jpg (223KB, 1144x764px) Image search: [Google]
West Virginia.jpg
223KB, 1144x764px
What's your tolerance for hillbillies?
>>
File: WVa 2.jpg (611KB, 2048x1354px) Image search: [Google]
WVa 2.jpg
611KB, 2048x1354px
>>
>>1036181
>>1036283
>>1036448

Crystal Bridges was closed the day I was in the area. Was at Eureka Springs. Definitely an Oasis of beauty in an otherwise plain state. Had a bar that was mostly young, and another that looked like something out of Sons of Anarchy. Also found it strange that 4 of the 4 restaurants I saw were Mexican.

Gonna be in MO for the week, then I'm debating the route I take to Missoula MT.
>>
>>1036832
im glad you liked eureka springs! i had a very strange, creepy experience when i went there recently. but that would be a story for the /x/files hahaha
>>
>>1036147
Hot Springs is neat
>>
>>1036959
Please do tell.

Also went to Jamestown MO, got some good Amish food. Nice people. Was surprised there were so few Amish.
>>
>>1037168
alright, so... i went with my mom. we were both really excited and happy on the way there, but literally as soon as we got into the town it was like we got hit by a brick wall. there was nothing perceptually wrong with the place, it was surrounded by pretty nature, cute houses, and interesting cool shops that id normally be totally interested in. but as soon as we got in it was like this horrible combination of heavy feelings of negativity, depression, irritability, rage and... there was a constant unnerved feeling, like some primal instinct detecting that a heavy evil presence was over the place. everyone i spoke to acted VERY strange. we went into several different shops. in one, the shop owner was staring us down the entire time with a hateful look.. i asked him about the sacred arts museum, and he stared at me for like 2 minutes and as i started walking away he said " i wouldnt go ". i was a little spooked but out of curiosity we decided to go. it was a bunch of disturbing religious art and in there was a group of people wearing different all white outfits and just smiling at each other and everything but not speaking. obviously i hauled ass out of there. it was a bright sunny day, but when we approached the huge statue of christ they have there near the museum, it almost immediately began raining and lightning. we got some pictures and left because of the rain, when we left the rain stopped i shit you not. at that point all i wanted was to get a coffee. i went into several coffee shops who all said they were closed, but were clearly open.. it was 12 pm on a saturday, why would they not be? everyone acted either very confused, very hostile, or like they had seen a ghost. i kept asking tourists on the street if places were open and they all said yes, and some had coffes in their hands. finally i went into some dark basement coffee shop, there were people in there WITH coffee but the barista said the place was closed! cont.
>>
>>1037241
she was dressed in a glittery red gown, and had a lot of strange colorful makeup on. she had this huge smile on her face the whole time.. i got frustrated and stormed out. i decided to go back in to ask her if ANY place was open. she acted like she didnt remember meeting me, and she literally asks the other barista...... "oh, can we make her a coffee?" the other barista looked at me, and looked really bitchy but said yes we can. i ordered an iced mocha, and she looked at me for what felt like 4 minutes and said " a what? " i said i want a mocha, and she looked at me for a while again and then started making something entirely different. when i got it, it tasted like ass. i asked her what the hell she made, and she just looked at me and smiled. i told her this isnt a mocha and im not paying for it and she said angrily this is what you ordered. i told her im not paying for it and ordered a chai latte. she basically gave me a cup of milk..i dont think she even put any chai in it. she smiled and asked me if they were better than starbucks and i said no what the hell is this just milk? and laughed. her face turned really angry again and she said again "this is what you ordered" and asked me to "leave and stop ordering things because it makes her job hard." the other barista started laughing a lot about that. i left really pissed, and we were gonna get a hotel but the woman at the desk acted really on edge and paranoid and sort of implied that its a bad idea to stay here. so we went home, and it got dark unusually early. it also seemed like time was moving faster and slower at different times when we were driving. we left at 4 pm and by the time we got out of the town it was already 6 and the sun was going down. we somehow ended up on a completely different route than we came in on and had to drive through a dangerously steep mountainous area. it got pitch black fast, and we could barely see where the next turn was, and then fog came inexplicably. cont.
>>
>>1037248
suddenly a deer walked from the woods in front of the car. we didnt hit it but it just stood there and looked at us for some time. my mom honked at it but it didnt phase it.. we waited a few more minutes and it turned around and walked back where it came from. we drove on. we knew we had to go west to get home. we knew that. but we drove east for 5 hours, and kept saying.. " well were going east, how can this be wrong? we will come across something eventually." and other things along those lines about how were supposed to be going east. nothing like that has ever happened to one of us before. were both great with directions and travelling. there was really no way to explain it... for a long time we couldnt see the moon, and i jokingly said something like , "haha what if its a blood moon tonight to make it an extra creepy trip." maybe an hour later, the moon appeared. it was huge and bright red. the radio station that was on was playing all of these songs that had significance to me. they were all songs that i considered to be me and my boyfriends.. but they werent any of the happy ones, they were all the ones about relationship problems and breaking up, like white flag by dido. the next day my boyfriend broke up with me for another girl.
>>
>>1037250
so thats my story, i know its long and you might not consider it that eventful.. but sometimes its hard to express the true eeriness of events like those. nothing seemed right in that town. not a thing. : P i felt on edge the entire time, and not for any logical reason. the town is known for good and evil energy so... maybe it was just one of those days of predominant evil. haha.
>>
>>1037241
>>1037248
>>1037250
>>1037251

Jesus Christ. That's an absolute nightmare. I would be freaked out too. I don't even know what to say in response to that, except excellent story.

You should probably go back and burn the town down to the ground.
>>
>>1037251

Can't stand places like that, would have kicked off with the shitty barista straight away.
>>
>>1037387
>>1037398
yeah.. it left me pretty creeped out for a few days. i dont think id want to go back even for that hahaha!
>>
Make sure you go to Asheville, North Carolina. That place is fucking weird but awesome.
>>
>>1037251
I had a similar experience. I live near this small town called Little Britain, Pennsylvania so one day my friend and I decided to check it out. The town was so small that it's not even on the map, but only if you search it. And I realized why because it was pretty much just a road with a bunch of houses and farms, a gas station and a pizza place. I had the same feeling you had of negativity, and just something uneasy. It was quiet. Too quiet. I asked around in the gas station if this was Little Britain and some people said yes and other people said it was called "Elim" which is almost on the other side of the state.
We drove on a very windy, uninteresting road until we came to a dead end, which was just a single goat surrounded by a small fence. I just remember we stared at the goat for a while, because there was nothing else to do. The goat just stared at us back. We turned around and drove on the road again. All of a sudden like 15 kids were standing in the middle of the road, dressed in traditional Amish clothes I guess. We had to stop because they were just standing there staring at us, and then they started throwing rocks at us and we were like WTF and tried to drive through them without hitting them and they all scurried away into a cornfield. They cracked one of our windows.
My friend said he decided to go there again (without me) and he ate at the pizza place and a woman with no teeth walked in barefoot with a gun and asked if his name was Ryan. He just shook his head and then he said she started rambling about "paradise".
I don't even know. Fuck Little Britain.
>>
>>1038047
Yeah man, Asheville is great.
>>
>>1038054
holy crapp dude that shit is fucked. tiny barely existing towns always creep me the hell out, but that is really bizarre!
>>
File: 1432773514601.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1432773514601.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>1037241
>>1038054
I think it's great that this thread is spawning stories on creepy small town America.
>>
OP here. Gonna add Lawrence, Kansas to the list of great small towns. Technically close to Kansas City, but in general a small college town in the middle of the heartland. It's an awesome college town for the typical reasons that College towns are awesome. Massachusetts Street is the place.
>>
>>1038184
yay! im so glad u came and liked it!
>>1038182
i know.. i need moooooreeeeee
>>
>>1036614
Now I realize I don't care about college football because I'm from a place that has so much more to offer. Why do people live their lives in garbage places?
>>
>>1036319
Miles and miles of wide open spaces? Sounds great to me.
>>
>>1038182
At least you dont live in Raccoon City man, just a buncha zombies i swaer...
>>
bump hoping for more creepy small town stories
>>
>>1038194
families, jobs, the like
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.