[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amiami vs HLJ vs 1999, which ends up being cheaper?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

File: amiami_logo_e.png (15KB, 220x65px) Image search: [Google]
amiami_logo_e.png
15KB, 220x65px
I know amiami has usually more discount for items on pre-order.

But in the end, with the shipping rates. What ends up being cheaper?
>>
>>6505889
Depends in the item. I will say that amiami's sales tend to be cheaper.
>>
>>6505889
Depends on
Figure
How much/often you order
Where you live
Does that place have custom charges
The shipping you want

What is cheaper for me, my situation and my tastes doesn't mean it's going to be more suitable for someone who lives in a different country with more expensive/cheaper tastes and if they order more or less than I do.
>>
>>6505889
>I know amiami has usually more discount for items on pre-order.
Depends on the line and how much you buy per month. I have posted detailed comparisons between AmiAmi and HLJ before but can't find my copypasta now. Long story short...HLJ has a discount on EMS shipping and uses more lightweight packing methods. On some items recently HLJ are also CHEAPER (or identical) compared to AmiAmi because AmiAmi knew they would be popular items and gave them less discount. Finally being able to keep 60 days of stuff for HLJ is great.

Before AmiAmi started with pricing shenanigans you could save a few bucks by having large orders or using Air Small Packet on 2-4 figure orders while still getting stuff relatively fast. Most of their lower pricing has disappeared over the years. Used to be able to save $10-15 on the average figma, you'd be lucky to save $5 now and that's IF you have a huge order to help keep shipping costs per item down.
>>
>>6505943
>Before AmiAmi started with pricing shenanigans
Ohh Poor Veruca. They don't owe you a discount to begin with, so be happy you get one at all, instead of having to pay full price.
>>
Amiami send cute cards in the box so fuck anyone else
>>
>>6505954
>pointing out objective facts is unreasonable now
The less people who get conned the better. AmiAmi used to be the cheapest and they aren't anymore but the myth they are still persists. Nothing wrong with shattering that myth so people actually make fully informed decisions.
>>
>>6505997
>pointing out objective facts is unreasonable now
>totally avoiding the topic at hand in order to push some retarded agenda to look like someone has anything of importance to say, other than "WAAAAHH I WANT MY DOLLIES CHEAPER!!"
Sure thing, kiddo.
>>
>>6505889
Well it depends per item but there's a simple 10 step method to work out who's cheapest
1. Open amiami
2. look up item
3. see price
4. open hlj
5. repeat steps 2 and 3
6. open 1999
7. repeat step 5
8. compare prices
9. ????
10. profit
>>
>>6506046
How can one calculate the shipping fee of items on PO?
>>
Hlj is cheaper for model kits when you factor in shipping
>>
>>6506051
90% of items commonly discussed on /toy/ are from product lines with standardized box sizes. Most Nendoroids are going to weigh roughly the same and have the same size boxes, same goes for Figmas or SASes or just about anything. On HLJ, you can just put an item from the same series in your cart to get a live estimate of the shipping cost, and with Amiami, you can shoot them an email and they'll usually be willing to provide a quote.
>>
>>6506082
>and with Amiami, you can shoot them an email and they'll usually be willing to provide a quote.
Shit, I didn't knew this and that was among the things that made me avoid AmiAmi. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>6506091
Just be sure to request the quote for in-stock items from the same series rather than the unreleased items you want to preorder - if you want to preorder a Nendoroid, use a Nendoroid that's already out, etc. - so that they don't give you the "we can't provide quotes for items that aren't out yet" response.
>>
>>6506051
heres what you do then
go to hlj
and similar sized figma to cart
it calculates shipping for you
assume its the same

alternatively
go to your emails
look up order for similar item
look how much you were charged
assume its the same
>>
>>6506082
how can you be so sure the weight will be the same?
>>
I use HLJ for gunpla and hobby supplies. HLJ's shipping is probably cheaper by weight, but all they do is put stuff in a box with air pillows or shrink wrap it to cardboard. When it's the former, there's nothing between the items and the bottom of the box, so pray that your postal route is gentle. If it's something big and I don't mind having the box dented, I use HLJ. The Toku general can attest to HLJ being bad at having enough stock for their preorders and getting put on endless backorder no matter how early you preordered.

I use AmiAmi for almost everything else since I get a lot more than toy stuff. AmiAmi's main shipping problems are the tendency to use larger box sizes and the forest that's put in every box. I'm sure I get up to 300g of paper.
>>
>>6506129
Even if it's not EXACTLY the same the difference in weight isn't enough to make a huge difference in the shipping costs. They're just some grams of difference, figures are light unless we're talking about a Chogokin.
>>
>>6505889
I like HLJ because you can group items.
>>6505961
That I throw away
>>
>>6505889

Out of those three I certainly prefer HLJ, but recently I have been using other sites like banzai hobby because with the big three even unregistered SAL seems to get caught by customs all the time.
>>
>>6505889
It really depends on the item
amiami puts shelfwarming shit on sale way faster than HLJ ever does though, for a longer time and for a better sale price
Especially now since HLJ is really pushing their store credit shit during their "sales"
>>
HLJ has better customer service a better orgainzed website and you can cancel preorders and the Private warehouse is fantastic.

Amiami has better prices but usually by 2-3 dollars, better product pages lackluster customer service but has better inventory than HLJ.

I have never used 1999
>>
>>6505961
Agreed.
>>6506154
You are Satan
>>
HLJ used to draw me in more because of the annual sales. It used to be that I would make sure to always PO the important stuff, and have it sitting in my PW. Then when the big sales would start up every 3-4 months I'd be able to grab items that I had put off and save massively on pricing and shipping.

When they said fuck it and started doing the shitty 100JPY store credit bullshit on 6500JPY items and calling it a "sale", I basically stopped buying from them. VAH Zoro will be the only thing I've bought from them this entire year, whereas I used to get a big package every 3 months or so.
>>
>>6506403
>HLJ used to draw me in more because of the annual sales.

Do you mean, the absolute shit tier stuff that no one else wanted?
>>
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I ordered with Air Small Package over a month ago and it still hasn't arrived.
Tracking isn't working outside of Japan either.
Is there anything I can do?
>>
>>6506443
Check your country's postal service site, dumbass.
>>
>>6506441
Ah, I see, you just started collecting in 2016 after it went to shit.

No, my child. They used to list SAS, SHF, and figma with good discounts during their sales. Especially the winter sale. 3/4 of my SAS collection is from them and bought at or below 2700JPY each.
>>
1999 never has shit in stock and the one time they did, I received an email three days after placing my order that they hadn't updating the product listing and the figures I ordered actually were out of stock.
>>
>>6505943
This! Using the warehouse is a godsend, used to only buy from Amiami but now I only buy from HLJ for this reason.
>>
>>6505943
So If I'm looking to order a single item like the new wolverine coming out, HLJ would likely be the way to go? Haven't used these sites or compared the pricing yet.
>>
>>6505889
>But in the end, with the shipping rates. What ends up being cheaper?
Amazon.

Unless you are ordering obscure week shit, Amazon is the way to go. They have infinitely better customer service, return policy and you pay retail (or maybe a few dollars over) plus free 2 day shipping. The only catch is that you have between 2 and 3 longer for them to get items in stock vs the week shops.
>>
>>6506506
Week = weeb
>>
>>6506505
>So If I'm looking to order a single item like the new wolverine coming out, HLJ would likely be the way to go? Haven't used these sites or compared the pricing yet.
If you're only going to get a single item...it depends. Let's do a quick comparison.

Wolverine costs 5,100 at HLJ and 4,940 at AmiAmi, that's a difference of 160 yen in favor of AmiAmi.
EMS starts at 1,700 at HLJ and 2,000 at AmiAmi, that's a difference of 300 in favor of HLJ.
So if you're sending the item via EMS you're already saving a minimum 140 yen going with HLJ, possibly more.

AmiAmi also has Air Small Packet (arrives in 1-2 weeks vs RSAL's 4-6 weeks) and this is around 150-200 yen more expensive than RSAL for a small order. Essentially if you're using AmiAmi you should never use RSAL unless you think saving around a buck is worth waiting an extra 2-4 weeks of package abuse. If you do choose shipping via SAL or RSAL then prices will essentially be the same shipping wise at both shops.

If you're planning on getting more but that stuff comes out in a different months then HLJ will let you combine 60 days of stuff and that's where it really starts to shine. The 300 yen discount HLJ has on EMS gets it VERY close to Air Small Packet prices for 2-4 figure orders while providing more insurance and faster shipping. If you're just getting a single thing in the next 60 days though I would probably go with AmiAmi just for Air Small Packet because 1,700 yen to ship a single figure isn't really worth it IMO. It'd probably only cost between 940-1,240 with Air Small Packet.

My advice is to ask AmiAmi for a shipping estimate. Find a figure in stock at AmiAmi that matches the dimensions and probable weight of Wolverine. HLJ and Hobby Search have weights and dimensions for prior Amazing Yamaguchi stuff so use those to get an idea. Gwen and Wolverine will probably be about 30g in difference and Gwen is currently in stock so ask them how much Gwen would be to ship via the various shipping options.
>>
>>6506506
>Unless you are ordering obscure week shit, Amazon is the way to go.

We are not talking about capeshit, you know. At best, you can find some gunpla on Amazon and cut a deal, but everything else is so overpriced!
>>
>>6506591
A lot of Bandai Bluefin stuff goes on random sales at Amazon if you're willing to risk it. You can get some awesome deals. There is a few other locally distributed things you can get cheap at Amazon as well. They are garbage for everything else though and their shipping is the worst, expect damaged to fuck boxes.
>>
>>6506567
What

HLJ shipping is way more expensive than amiami

HLJ EMS for Gwen was 1700 jpy and 1200 for amiami
>>
>>6506621
Lmao you're delusional
>>
>>6506591
>We are not talking about capeshit, you know
Amazon is an official bandai distributor. Bandai makes up like, half of everything that gets posted here.
>>
>>6506454
Did that, tracking brought up nothing
>>
So, since this is already up; anyone order used stuff from amiami? I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet on items with a B for the product since I have no clue to what extent they're damaged or missing paint.
>>
What even happened with amiami that everyone's mad about? I haven't noticed a difference but I don't order that often.
>>
>>6507172
Japan is autistic as fuck. It's probably fine.

when I ordered the World, it was Box A, Item B, and I could not even begin to tell you what's supposedly wrong with it.
>>
>>6507182
Cool, I'm just a bit worried since used stuff on ebay can go from ok, to awful.
>>
>>6507186
Japanese retailers are usually way better. The weirdest shit I've seen with used is my brother bought a Super Action Statue of a Stand and inside the box was a second broken Stand.

He still got the figure he wanted, which was perfectly fine. There was just a second broken one in the box too for some reason.
>>
>>6507199
That's pretty bizarre, makes me wonder if the store broke it, and they threw another one themselves.
>>
>>6506867
>Amazon is an official bandai distributor. Bandai makes up like, half of everything that gets posted here.
Read all the comment. Amazon is overpriced.
>>
>>6507181
They stopped bending over and taking it in the ass because so many OCD/Autistic/dishonest fucks took advantage of their bro-tier customer service, and stopped handing over new items hnd over fist when "something went wrong". Like hamhands, falling off shelves, spilling paint on it, etc etc.
Once people had to start owning their shit, Amiami became the retarded and hated stepchild of the Japanese toy shop world.
>>
okay but who packs their stuff better? i've only bought stuff from amiami so far and their packaging is pretty top tier, boxes say fragile/ handle with care on outside, they have that cardboard hash to secure the item and add more support to prevent box being crushed

i'm waiting for my first hlj order right now so i'll see when it gets here
>>
>>6508808
At a certain point, HLJ basically plays Tetris with their boxes. No real padding, maybe one side with some cushioning. I've gotten some frayed edges and the occasional denting but nothing I personally care about.
>>
>>6507182
Also checking their used stuff. Do they let you combine the used stuff with your monthly order before it ships out, or do you have to wait until the order is ready to combine them?
>>
>>6508808
I've bought from Jungle, Amiami and Mandarake. Mandarake has nicer boxes, amiami has better packaging. Jungle looks like some dude packed it with old ass newspaper from his garage.
>>
>>6508808
>who packs their stuff better?
AmiAmi, hands down. They typically surround everything on all sides with paper though I have had a couple of rare incidents where they did a poor job but ironically enough those were the times when nothing was damaged. There has been a few other rare incidents where figure boxes were damaged despite the shipping box being pristine. So either they snagged something while jamming paper in there, the box was damaged from the manufacturer/distributor or someone damaged it in their warehouse. I felt pretty annoyed paying full price for "new item w/box damage" tier goods though. I feel like they should have caught it or else why am I paying more for all that padding they use?

HLJ on the other hand...if you order 2-4 standard figma/Revoltech/SHF you can expect them to shrink wrap it to a piece of cardboard. You might even be able to get away with 5-6 SHF if they are in the smaller normal sized boxes. No other cushioning or padding will be used but this usually works out well since there is enough space between the figures and sides/corners to prevent damage. Like the other guy said...at a certain point they just tetris shit together. If you keep 5-6 things same size dimension wise you might get the "line method" packing which is stacking figures on their sides horizontally, air pillows on both sides length wise and more air pillows on top. This is generally safe. Only two figures will be touching the sides.

If you order a bunch of odd sized items and try to get too many into a box they will just tetris that shit together like the other guy said. This will pretty much guarantee multiple figures are touching corners and all the walls of the shipping box which makes it highly likely you'll get some denting, corner smooshing or something of that nature. Basically...try to keep the orders down in size because the easier it is to pack the better they do. Try to ship things with similar dimensions that can be stacked together easily.
>>
I bought a figure on amiami last night, used debit card as payment. Nothing has been deducted from my account yet, is this normal? Do they usually take a few days?
>>
File: IMG_2125.jpg (47KB, 208x208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2125.jpg
47KB, 208x208px
>>6505961
>tfw they don't put a card in mine sometimes
it hurts
>>
Never tried hobbysearch (1999.co.jp) but its hlj first UNLESS

>the item I crave is out of stock with hlj
>amiami has a sale going
>amiami exclusive listings

Chasing those hi-metal r figures is bullshit but one or the other have my back, hlj's sales used to be nifty as well back in the day but not now.

Packing with amiami is better but I don't give a shit about partial box damage, besides I'm actually friends with the post woman who brings mine, kinda helps we end up being customers of each other, she gives me boxes, I give her groceries.

Which is good because the guy before her was a cunt who'd sign off shit and toss them anywhere so box damage is the least of my worries
>>
amiami has those sweet pre-owned prices tho
>>
>>6505889
For new items that will sell out instantly, go amiami. If you know it's gonna shelfwarm for a while and maybe bin, go HLJ. 1999 is for people who miss preorders on high demand items.
>>
>>6505935
this is why I have to buy on Amazon. prices are higher but I dont have to pay crazy shipping, stuff can be tracked and wont take a month to arrive
>>
I'll pay a few dollars more for better service. Which is why I boycott amiami. Had enough of them screwing me over with insulting "Here's 250¥ in points, enjoy your borked item and go fuck yourself gaijin" offers for defective issues.

The straw that broke the camel's back when was I bought a B item from them and it was sunfaded to hell. They refused to do anything and claimed it was 'factory like new condition, all like that'.

And their 'safe' shipping method? That just adds to your shipping cost, morons. But whatever rocks your boat. Pay the extra to protect that Nendoroid's box that you're going to damage yourself anyway.
>>
>>6505889
>Amiami vs HLJ vs 1999
Mandarakewinslol
>>
>>6510185
>that you're going to damage yourself anyway
this has never happened yet and i'm 6 nendoroids deep
>>
>>6505889
AmiAmi has consistently been cheaper than any other weeb site for literally everything I've ordered.

The only site that's been able to compete on price is Amazon, and that's usually only because of free shipping.
>>
amiami automatically forces SAL to be registered if the order value goes over a certain amount. i think it was 6,000 or 8,000 yen
>>
Why are the full prices on amiami higher than the full prices on hlj and other stores?

They are saying the discount is 20%, but in reality it is a lot less than that.
>>
>>6511218
To trick you into thinking they're giving a better discount.
>>
>>6505961
kek true
>>
File: 1502521188319.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502521188319.webm
2MB, 640x640px
>>6509648
>tfw
>>
File: DSC_6998_1753.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6998_1753.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>6505961
Post your card collection to see who has moar.

I guess I already won, look how many I have.
>>
>>6511218
they are probably including japanese tax in their base price
>>
Didn't want to make a new thread and this was the most similar topic but I have questions about AmiAmi.

I preordered a figure and the payment deadline is tomorrow but I had to change the order so it gets delivered to another place, I can't pay for the order now so I was wondering is the deadline still in effect and when can I expect to be allowed to pay for the order?
>>
>>6514331
Have you tried asking amiami?
>>
>>6514369
Yeah but they apparently only answer enquiries during business hours which will be when the deadline is. I've heard stories here about people getting blacklisted so I don't want to get on their bad side.
>>
File: IMG_1994.jpg (170KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1994.jpg
170KB, 500x500px
>>6505954
>>6506012
>defending a toy salesman this hard on an anonymous cartoon board
>>
File: wew lad l.jpg (19KB, 301x279px) Image search: [Google]
wew lad l.jpg
19KB, 301x279px
>>6514792
>Being this upset that you're worried about defending a toy salesman this hard on an anonymous cartoon board
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.