[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a new line to collect.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_mqlum8tOlo1qzizmho1_500.jpg (202KB, 500x592px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqlum8tOlo1qzizmho1_500.jpg
202KB, 500x592px
I've been collecting Minimates for the past 10 or so years, but lately I'm feeling like I'm wasting my money. I dipped into 1/6th collecting for a bit, but it was a tad too expensive for me. Would you recommend Mezco's 1:12 stuff?

My tastes are mostly comic-book stuff, since I've been collecting them for 20 years now. Marvel, DC, Image, Indies, Eurocomics, whatever, all of it.
>>
>>6499062
>Would you recommend Mezco's 1:12 stuff
They're not bad. There's some that I could easily recommend.

But you don't really get $80 worth of actual quality engineering in them, though. The bodies underneath the cloth are pretty standard, and in some ways substandard. You're paying for a gimmick and good accessories, and an overly designed collector's box. And the fact of the matter is that they don't really erase the obviousness of how awkward cloth looks on figures that small. Fabrics will billow unnaturally like with Joker, or bunch up around the stitching like some of the characters wearing full-body spandex, or look baggy around the crotch in action poses where the legs spread apart.

If they had stuck to the $65 price tag like DKR Batman, then they'd be easier to recommend across the board rather than just an absolutely minuscule minority.
>>
>>6499073
The only real engineering faults they have are worth noting.

Ankle pivot is lacking, due mostly to sculpt interfering with the range of motion.
Lack of butterfly shoulders on some bodies.

Sometimes limited ab crunch.

Overall their engineering is actually pretty good, they just aren't going to be doing what some super articulated figures do, which works out for most the figures in the line, but sucks HARD for spiderman. He's the only one I'd say the engineering is a real tangible problem for. I wouldn't touch any of their spiderman variants. I cannot believe they pushed forward with that crap.

I own 10 of them, and I can recommend every one that I own for sure.
>>
>>6499073
I see. What other line would you recommend then? Should I just limit my purchases and buy fewer 1/6th stuff? I've looked at Figma, Revoltech and the like, and they don't seem to be worth their dollars.

>>6499075
>I own 10 of them, and I can recommend every one that I own for sure.
Which ones are they, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>6499340
Flash
Zoom
Px dkr Batman
Regular dkr Batman
Captain marvel
Space ghost
Px punisher
Daredevil
Captain America
Joker
>>
>>6499062
Maters Of The Universe classics is a fun and colorful line.
>>
>>6499340
>What other line would you recommend then?
It's tough to say. I almost feel like what I can recommend would entice you to purchase it "just because" rather than for their intrinsic quality.

>Marvel Legends/DC Multiverse: you'll feel cheated, even at $20, and the QC is low
>mezco: what I mentioned in >>6499073
>figma/SHF: far too MCU/DCEU driven to appeal to dyed-in-the-wool comic fans, MUCH lowered value for what you're getting these past few years
>Revoltech: awkward looking figures with terrible sculpts that are only worthwhile because of how cut up they are for posing

And you already said you were priced out of 1/6, so I could foresee history repeating itself before long with that. So... maybe One:12? I say that begrudgingly since I stated some pretty deep and undeniable flaws, not the least of which is the creeping price tag.
>>
File: 1502612568094.jpg (169KB, 1033x675px) Image search: [Google]
1502612568094.jpg
169KB, 1033x675px
>>6499504
You can just as easily say:

>Revoltech: Rad looking figures with fine sculpts

You be the judge, OP. Maybe they're neat, maybe they ain't.
>>
>>6499062
How about getting some taste? Superheroes are generally boring as shit
>>
>>6505413
>is in 4chan
>the TOY side of 4chan
>collects literal toys
>schools someone for liking comic-books
>wewlad.jpg

Besides, I clearly stated I like comics in general, as a medium.

>Marvel, DC, Image, Indies, Eurocomics, whatever, all of it.

And here I thought /toy/ was more self-aware...
>>
>>6505412
>badly proportioned toys with weird angular cuts at every joint
There's nothing fine about the sculpt.
Everything is sacrificed for the sake of the joints and poseability.

It's like a McFarlane McStatue in reverse.
>>
>>6505412
>You be the judge, OP. Maybe they're neat, maybe they ain't.
I don't hate them, but for the 60$ they go for... I would be tempted to buy a THICC Spider-Gwen though...
>>
>>6507441
Welp, there goes this thread. Once you razz the revo autists and give them an opportunity to sperg it's pretty much lights out for any type of civil conversation.
>>
>>6507765
Gwen was only $35 new, is now $47 , spidey was $40 idk if he's available anymore but Venom is $62 and Wolverine is $47
>>
>>6507441
>>6508223
The sculpt is more than just the joints dudes, while the articulation does break up the sculpt to an extreme degree which is unacceptable for some, the sculpts of the bodies are great

Not gonna argue whether you should like them or not. Just buy whatever you're interested in. For me this is gonna be the best Wolverine figure
>>
File: IMG_4100.jpg (359KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4100.jpg
359KB, 1536x2048px
>>6508252
>>
File: mandela.jpg (53KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
mandela.jpg
53KB, 640x512px
>>6508252
>The sculpt is more than just the joints dudes
It's completely secondary though, as the prominence of the figure is for joints only and almost all of the Yamaguchi fans on /toy/ will tell you this.
The sculpt is so secondary that the figure can only look good at certain angles to hide all the stupid shit going on with the joints.
It's the poseability of the figures that is argued time and time again on by you guys that makes the line a favorite.

So don't talk about "fine sculpts" when the entire figure has it removed to fit those joints in just to make it more poseable, especially when the sculpts themselves are like Humberto Ramos' drawings and exaggerated even more.
And if you dont know who Ramos is, he's comic artist known for his very cartoony style that is very chunky and dislocated.
>>
>>6499062
Since this thread has turned into yet another Shitposting General, I'm going to take the opportunity to say that I really enjoyed most of the Doom 2099 run, and was very disappointed how quickly it went to hell. Glad it was cut off, before it got worse, but damn, was that a hideous death for a series.

Still, I would love to have figures of a couple of the armor designs from the book, and maybe some of the other characters.
>>
>>6509221
I'd love a good DOOM figure in general. It seems impossible to find one.
>>
>>6499062

As for 1/12 scale, here are your options

Mezco figures are great, expensive as hell, but worth it. Some might not like cloth goods, but they have an interesting selection of figures as it is, and if you don't own at least one, you may want to check one out.

Revoltech if you love ridiculous exaggerated art-styles and the amount of poseability. The look of the figures are pretty subjective just because of the joints and other visual stuff, but they're great toys despite that.

Marvel Legends if you want something cheap and quick and a wider array of characters.

Multiverse/DC Universe Classics is the equivalent, but cheaper and a lot of the time they lack the articulation and quality of Marvel Legends. They seem to be improving with upcoming waves, however.

SHF and Figma if you want movie-related stuff -- but it's kinda only that unless you want to mix in anime stuff also.

I mix them all together, but they are outright different art/sculpt styles so they might look a little odd together or stick out like a sore thumb.

Plus not all 1:12 scalings are the same. SHF, Figma and other foreign brands are always slightly shorter, but it's mostly unnoticeable.

DC Icons (if you're into that sort of thing) are very tiny and don't entirely fit with anything other than Foreign 1:12 figures.
They seem to be fixing this problem with the DC Essentials line, though I'm unsure how long that line will go on.

When it comes to Storm Collectables, they are NOT 1:12 no matter how much they try to advertise as that. They're outright Play-Arts Kai scale and tower over every 1:12 standard figures.

I'm unsure about the other options in this scale. McFarlane toys lack decent paint and poseability. NECA is 7", so not 1:12, but close enough -- if you like movie related stuff, they produce some alright stuff (if a bit more fragile.)

DC Collectibles is fine, but out of scale. Works for some figures, doesn't for most. Same with Marvel Select.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.