[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 41

File: 19234659174_9889ab5bed_o.jpg (3MB, 2996x2626px) Image search: [Google]
19234659174_9889ab5bed_o.jpg
3MB, 2996x2626px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Tortle Package
https://imgur.com/a/74MAj

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Official Discord
https://discord.gg/Wjs77ZM

>Previous thread:
>>55422562

Which is better: Against the Giants or the giant lord strongholds from Storm King's Thunder?
>>
1st for strong independent CN Rogue don't need no party
>>
>>55427670
Does the discord still exist? And if so: Do people actually look for players / advertise their games there? I don't have any luck with Gamefinder threads.
>>
Shield or no shield?
>>
File: 1492564135398.jpg (130KB, 540x721px) Image search: [Google]
1492564135398.jpg
130KB, 540x721px
>>55427670
Is that motherfucker climbing a tree trying to escape the giant 20ft away?
>>
>>55427708
2 shield
>>
>>55427670
Tomb of Annihilation leaks album
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj

Tortle Package (as a pdf)
https://mega.nz/#!Kgw10Qha!DvWcsgAyGdNFtspYAUNWNCCPrzALIWY36ES9UXWCXRI
>>
>>55427708
Depends, but mostly shield. Shields are cool.
>>
>>55427713
>>
>>55427708
You should generally carry a shield with you. It can protect you when you withdraw, or when you have to run from cover to cover. It can also be used for a lot of creative things like jamming a mechanicsm or provide foothold.
>>
I wish slow healing was the core rules and not a variant
>>
>>55427732
Thank you! If I make the next thread, I'll put those in the OP.
>>
>>55427803
What do you mean?
>>
>>55427690
>Do people actually look for players / advertise their games there?
The lfg channel is moderately active. I've picked up some decent players there.
>>
>>55427860
Link is in the OP, somehow for the first time in months. Who knew that tortles would be the thing that'd bring it back?
>>
>>55427872
Oops, totally overlooked that one. I just copy/pasted my post from last thread. Thanks
>>
>>55427828
I hate the idea that laying in a bed for 8 hours somehow fixes an axe wound to the collar bone

I would like to be able to stretch a series of encounters over the course of a week of travel rather than there being 8 encounters that just jump on the party in one day
>>
>>55427803
I've come to agree with that. The slow natural healing variant is standard in all my games now.
>>
>>55427897
Well for game design you sometimes have to decide between playability and realism. 5e chose playability.

Having a week of downtime sucks, especially if you're not the guy who was wounded.
>>
>>55427929
The main problem with standard healing is that it assumes the 6-8 encounter adventuring day, which is rarely practical outside of dungeon delving. Slow healing enables for a more reasonable 6-8 encounters per week with the same balance.
>>
>>55427929
6 to 8 per day is great, in certain settings

PC's are dungeon delving? Easy to do
PC's are on the edge of an untamed wilderness where danger is everywhere? Easy
PC's are in civilized lands BUT something big is going down that causes lots of trouble? Takes a bit of thinking but it can be done
PC's are going through civilized lands, and their only threats are few and far between? They will never feel threatened or in danger

I want the last one to have some sort of weight to it, and long rests healing to full instantly makes it impossible. I can scale a dungeon down to accommodate slow healing. I can lower encounters found in dangerous wilderness areas. I can scale plot encounters down as well. I cannot scale up the normal dangers of even a civilized land without making this place a world that the average person would never be able to survive in
>>
How does exploration work in ToA?
>>
>>55427897
It says right there in the book that until you actually run out of HP you're mostly just loosing combat stamina and getting glancing cuts at best, and when you finally run out you are taking a serious injury via a direct hit.
HP is only "meat points" for extremely large creatures now.
>>
>>55428038
Not him, but at what size point would you say HP stops being about "dodging critical blows" and more "I can take this number of direct hits and survive".
>>
>>55428038
>>55428063
HP has always been an abstraction that includes both stamina and physical damage.
The catch is that different forms of healing are described as treating exactly one of those, which creates dissonance fairly often. If hit points represent stamina, why does Cure Wounds replenish them? If hit points represent physical integrity, how do they return so quickly out of combat?
Slow rest rules sort of strike a balance, because resting can take care of both types of damage. Indeed, slow resting was the norm all the way until 4e.
>>
>>55428063
Probably around Huge size and greater.
Large creatures like horses and ogres are big, but not so big that if you put three feet of steel through it it wouldn't poke open organs and come out the other side or would loose a disconcerting chunk of flesh if you hacked into with an axe.
Huge is when from a believabukit standpoint it's difficult to imagine your weapons even REACHING the vital spots of a creature or even simply not being large enough to pierce most vitals even if you get a solid shot in.
At that size point you're at "stab it in the feet until it starts bleeding into it's boots so much that it falls over and then go for the eyes and throat".
>>
>>55428079
>If hit points represent stamina, why does Cure Wounds replenish them?
Same reason the system uses Vancian casting even though nearly everyone who reads fantasy anymore couldn't care less and doesn't even know who Jack Vance is; because that's what it's always been called in D&D, so that's what it's called in 5e D&D.
I assumed Cure Wounds and potions remove light-to-mild injuries caused by combat and restore fighting stamina, but I'm an old hand at D&D and system has always had so many holes and basic logic gaps in it that I'm used to falling back on "it's just a fuckin' game brah, leave it alone".
>>
>>55428038
>It says right there in the book that until you actually run out of HP you're mostly just loosing combat stamina and getting glancing cuts at best
You say that like anyone follows that. I have not played in a single game where people actually followed that, across 5 different DM's and 4 different editions.

Let's say combat starts, fighter vs hobgoblin captain. The captain immediately crits round 1, dealing 20 damage to the 62 health fighter. The fighter then destroys the captain in combat, he rolls incredibly well and the captain misses every other attack, and the fighter ends the winner, at 42/62 hp

How dobyou describe this critical hit? It's a fucking crit, he landed a mighty blow, put all hisbforce behind it. But it's ok the fighter lays in bed for 8 hours and he's perfectly fine the next day
>>
>>55428124
>You say that like anyone follows that. I have not played in a single game where people actually followed that, across 5 different DM's and 4 different editions.
Sorry, I guess?
Look, it's not a problem I've ever had and frankly when you start bitching about recovery times you might as well just point out that the entire HP system from top to bottom is stupid as fuck even with Slow healing rules attached man.
>>
>>55428063
Never. Hp is an inseparable gestalt of those two concepts
>>
Martial melee weapons

Falchion
1d8 slashing

Estoc
1d8 piercing, versatile (1d10)

Half-pike
As estoc.

Lucerne hammer
1d10 bludgeoning, heavy, reach, two-handed, special (polearm: features that work with glaives and halberds also work with the lucerne hammer)

Simple melee weapons

Scythe
1d6 slashing, versatile (1d8)

Khukri
As handaxe.
>>
File: yaay.jpg (67KB, 187x234px) Image search: [Google]
yaay.jpg
67KB, 187x234px
>New wealth by level system
>Ya start with gold equal to your level
>level 1 still gives starting gold
>can buy items with prices off San Magical Prices pdf homebrew found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XAiXpOfz9cMWt1RTBicmpmUDg/view
>less than half can be on one item
>at least 10% must go to non-items such as property or hirelings or something

Yeah or ney?
>>
>>55428146
Maybe to an inflexible dork.
I've been doing it for years and nobody's ever complained, and while it certainly makes no sense the downside with slow healing is that it actually STILL makes no fuckin' sense and you're still shrugging off combat injuries that would put you it literally for months and in many cases would leave you physically crippled for life in days with zero complications whatsoever.
Seriously, the amount of punishment a D&D hero would take even with slow healing in just three adventures is something along the lines of "do this one more time and your body will stop working due to stress you're putting in it in short periods of time". Our bodies are SHIT at healing damage, which is why we avoid getting hurt in the first place.
>>
>>55428168
Yeah but this isn't real life. You can draw parallels but at the end of the day there's still living dead and niggas that can throw fireballs
>>
>>55428176
That's kind of what I'm saying; I get that your incredibly arbitrary rules preferences are more preferable to my incredibly arbitrary rules preferences, but both are equally stupid and arbitrary.
We draw the line at different places here but in the end where the line is drawn is sort of equally irrelevant just due to how far out of reality you are already venturing.
>>
>>55428154
Actually did the khukri-as-handaxe thing a few years ago when 5e came out.
>>
>>55428216
Not him, but why would a knife be an axe?
>>
>>55428154
I like those a lot.

I did something similar but used "war poles" (like spears and tridents specifically made for martial combat) as the 1d8/1d10 versatile weapon and the long two-handed-style flail as the 1d10 reach weapon. Your lucerne hammer idea is better though.

I also did a cutlass as a 1d8 slashing finesse weapon so one-handed dex peeps aren't restricted to just poking things with a rapier.
>>
>>55428225
Khukri's have very thick blades and the heavy forward curve makes them more like an axe than a knife or even machete when it comes to use as a tool
>>
>>55428225
Most khukri aren't knife-sized, they're more like machete-sized. And though the entire inner curve is indeed sharpened, pretty much of the killing power is in the heavier weighted tip of the blade, which means you use it in a functionally identical fashion to an axe of similar size as a close-ranged edged chopping weapon.

You can even throw it like a hand axe.
>>
>>55428229
>I also did a cutlass as a 1d8 slashing finesse weapon so one-handed dex peeps aren't restricted to just poking things with a rapier.
Not him but I pretty much subbed rapiers, sabers, smallswords, basket-hilted swords, and pretty much any and all other one-handed blades from that period using rapier stats since half of the players think "has a basket hilt=rapier" anyway, you know?
>>
>>55428238
>>55428252
Huh. Rad. No wonder the British Army loved/still loves those things.
>>
>>55428270
You tend to gain a lot of respect for a weapon after it's been used a bunch to butcher you in close-combat after a few campaigns, and plenty of Indian rebels and such used them on British soldiers.
>>
>>55427670
Is It ok to have the villain kill one of the party meembers' parents so he can be hated and shit? The PC didnt see his parents since childhood ir that helps
>>
>>55428264
Yeah, I get you, but given its damage type people usually default to thinking "a rapier thrusts" and they wanna slash.
>>
File: IMG_7725.jpg (47KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7725.jpg
47KB, 920x520px
>>55428154
But what Großesmesser?
>>
>>55428288
I know it ruins the surprise, but ask the PC. A lot of people would not be okay with that. In fact, the DM killing a PC's family because
>muh plot
is a minor meme here.
>>
>>55428288
It's a bit cliched, but if your players are okay with it and so are you, why not? Classics are classics for a reason.
>>55428301
Aaah yes, the German Katana.
Basically a just longsword anyway, only with some extra style tossed in.
>>
>>55428301
Well Wikipedia seems to describe em as german falchions so....................
>>
>>55428320
You're not reading the whole article....or seeing the size difference.
Falchions are mostly one-handed (hence them being d8 weapons is spot-on), but messer and schwiesersable are larger blades that are more akin to old D&D bastard swords or new D&D longswords.

They could be use one-handed but they definitely had a grip made for two.
>>
>>55428336
>schwiesersable
Buhwhatnow?
>>
How would I make a viable whip wielding character?
>>
File: IMG_7727.jpg (44KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7727.jpg
44KB, 800x600px
>>55428344
Schweizersäbel, literally "Swiss saber".
Like the messer but even more stylin'.
Apparently one of the only rules is that schweizersäbel always had that hand-guard thing, but mostly was probably pretty similar to messers.

A lot of the curved blades you see in the Witcher games take some pretty obvious inspiration from both.
>>
So I'm taking up the challenge of implementing Tome of Battle -type stuff in 5e for all those crying out for more weeaboo fightan magic - I'm not even a big fan myself, but it's an interesting challenge.

So my approach is Swordsage as a Fighter subclass with magical maneuvers as a primary feature. Some of their secondary features also key off INT. So how do you feel about making INT even more core to them by making the number of maneuver uses scale with INT modifier?

With the release of the Arcane Archer, things have changed a bit. The BM has four uses, which scales up at 7th and 15th to a maximum of six. The Arcane Archer (whose special moves are obviously more powerful than the BM's) have two uses, scaling up at 7th and 10th to a maximum of four. I'm trying to balance the Swordsage maneuvers so that they have less straight power than the BM's - instead of an effect + extra damage, they only add one of the two. But they also add more versatility and utility than the BM. So maybe I could do two uses scaling up to four? Or if I use INT mod (minimum 1), it would scale from 1 to 5 but with more MAD?

Further complicating things, the AA's other 7th level feature is also not an exploration/RP feature as the earlier Fighters have, so that justifies me giving them an additional little combat feature at 7th.
>>
File: Dwarven Medhiv.jpg (27KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarven Medhiv.jpg
27KB, 380x600px
How do we fix Artificer ?
>>
How does a Tortle react to Aremag, the island sized dragon turtle?
>>
>>55428376
"whoa"
>>
File: IMG_7728.jpg (48KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7728.jpg
48KB, 640x619px
>>55428362
>>
Ok so all the weapon talk of the moment made me check the weapon list...

Why the fuck is the pike the heaviest melee weapon? Isn't it just an extra long spear you can't throw? Glaives, halberds and lances are all less than half its weight... Only the maul comes close.
>>
>>55428376
Probably same way we react to giant-sized humans when you think about it.
What creature DOESN'T have a gigantic version of itself in D&D?
>>
>>55428351
Probably Battlemaster, Tunnel Fighter or Sentinel.
Just get a whip and a shield and prevent people from getting close or escaping
>>
>>55428374
You wait for WOTC to purge spellcasting and magic-crafting from it and make it a pure inventor class.
>>
>>55428376
SHEEEEIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT
>>
>>55428391
The weights on all D&D weapons and armor are generally pretty ridiculous.
Like a mace or axe weighing more then a sword; it actually was about the same weight most of the time, the difference was in the DISTRIBUTION of the weight and how maces and axes had it all on one end of the weapon while swords had it spread mostly across the whole thing.
>>
>>55428229
Still same anon, just wanted to add that I also gave the javelin the "finesse" property... Not for my players but for myself, because I liked the idea of tribal critters like kobolds and grungs using crude spear-like weapons without doing suck damage with em.
I also gave the sickle "finesse" because, well... it should, IMO.
>>
File: RingofStorms.jpg (182KB, 707x460px) Image search: [Google]
RingofStorms.jpg
182KB, 707x460px
>>55428401
a pure inventor without magic-crafting?
would that still be artificer?
>>
>>55428413
Yeah I noticed that. I kinda doubt a battleaxe would weigh more than a lance...
>>
>>55428391
Pikes actually WERE fairly heavy, anywhere between three to six kgs.
Mostly it was the length of 'em that caused it; you didn't use a pike for finesse or fancy maneuvers, and half of the time you didn't even use it to stab.
You just stood there and walked forward or weighted for horses to jump right onto the things.
>>
>>55428438
No idea dude, I speak french so "artificer" entails "artifice" which refers to fireworks and other boomy things, so when I hear artificer I think of that more than I think of whatever Eberron thinks.
I just want a non-magic int class and considering the sub-classes are alchemist and gunsmith, what the fuck does magic have to do with it?
>>
>>55428444
True.
I'm not saying "why are they heavy", I'm asking "why are they considerably heavier than similar weapons like glaives and halberd?".
>>
>>55428466
Probably because the guy looked at it and said "wow that's big, must also be heavier".
There's a lot of weapon size=damage assumptions in D&D rather then weapon mass=damage it seems like, which is why cutlasses were d6 weapons in 3e despite basically weighing in as much as a regular sword.
>>
>>55428160
Bump
>>
>>55428376
Immense lust
>>
>>55428154
Some issues/questions:
Falchion: why not just use a longsword without two-handing it?
Half-pike - why not just use regular pike stats and fluff it as not being obnoxiously long? Actual half-pikes are longer than halberds anyway.
Scythe - the only thing resembling a scythe that's ever been used in combat might as well use glaive stats. Anything that looks like a farming scythe is useless in battle.
Khukri - the same stats as a thrown weapon? Why is the khukri not simply a refluffed scimitar?
Estoc and lucerne hammer are cool, though.
>>
>>55428512
>Why is the khukri not simply a refluffed scimitar?
Because you can throw a khukri quite effectively in the same manner as you can a throwing axe/tomahawk?
>>
>>55428522
I was not aware of this. TIL.
>>
>>55428452
you don't see what magic has to do with alchemy? :^)

im French too what are the odds
>>
>>55428452
The gun is explicitly magical. Alchemy has never been anything other than magical, even if chemistry resulted from it.

>>55428394
I think a much better question is: how does a tortle react to regular turtles?
>>
>>55428531
Not especially, alchemy, at least in the media I consumed, usually involved people using (pseudo)science to change the properties of thing... Which is kind of what it was, trying to use chemistry to turn lead into gold.
>>
>>55428512
Yeah, the scythe I'm not very happy with, it's just the only thing I could think of for the "spear but slashy" slot.
>>
>>55428563
Maybe some sort of sharp spade like the ones used by shaolin monks?
>>
>>55428543
>how does a tortle react to regular turtles?
Probably the same way you'd react to a 5 year old down syndrome kid in a wheelchair who came up to you.
>>
File: 1505357712092.png (71KB, 614x496px) Image search: [Google]
1505357712092.png
71KB, 614x496px
>Invisibility

Does this confer any kind of cover in your game? Can you be attacked whilst invisible? Is it disadvantage or are you simply gone?
>>
>>55428563
They used to sometimes mount sickles and similar harvesting weapons on poles so you could use that, too.
No idea what the proper term for em is though.
>>
>>55428634
If they know the space you're in (e.g. from hearing, or seeing splashes in the water, or right after seeing you disappear), or if they simply guess correctly where you're standing, they can attack but with disadvantage.
>>
>>55428634
If an enemy knows that they are there by a means other than seeing them, such as hearing them (stealth vs perception), seeing them affect the world around them (footprints, bumping into things), or something like that, they can attack with disadvantage. If they don't know they're there why would they attack?
>>
>>55428563
That's sort of what swords are for. Not everything needs a "simple weapons" option.

>>55428603
Calculated indifference?
>>
Do you/have you tried to count your damage up? Do you find it's faster than subtracting?
>>
Super quick noob question because I don't have my books on me.

If an AC is 18, and an 18 is rolled, does the attack hit? Or does it always need to be at least AC+1 to hit? I know it's a dumb question, sorry in advance.
>>
>>55428781
The AC is the target number for the roll (similar to DCs and checks), so equalling the AC is enough to hit.
>>
>>55428788

Ok, thank you. A player said that it's always AC+1, so I got unsure.
>>
>>55428683
What if they disappeared mid combat?

>>55428683
>>55428671
>Hearing

Over a loud battle with sword clashing on armour, and spells exploding through the air.

How can you attack something with disadvantage if you can't see what you're attacking?

At best a player should point at a square on a map and make a guess the enemy is there.

>>55428781
Typically hitting the AC is a hit. Same as hitting the DC of a save.
>>
>>55428801
U n s e e n A t t a c k e r s a n d T a r g e t s
Combatants often try to escape their foes’ notice
by hiding, casting the invisibility spell, or lurking
in darkness.
W hen you attack a target that you can’t see, you have
disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether
you’re guessing the target’s location or you’re targeting
a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn’t in
the location you targeted, you automatically m iss, but
the DM typically just says that the attack m issed, not
whether you guessed the target’s location correctly.
W hen a creature can’t see you, you have advantage on
attack rolls against it.
If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when
you m ake an attack, you give away your location when
the attack hits or m isses.
>>
>>55428771
I have a player who does this. It's probably easier but most people are used to subtracting.
>>
Hey 5eg,
I'm DM'ing a session where the players are tracking down a monster (a rare gryphon, to be exact)- and the tracking rules in the DMG although clear are pretty simplistic. Are there any homebrew systems to help extend the process or make it more interesting beyond a couple of survival rolls or does anyone have any ideas on how to do so otherwise?
>>
>>55428160
Level 20 characters start with 20 gold
>>
>>55427670
>/5eg/ Official Discord
Kill yourself.
>>
>the cleric doesn't realize Prayer of Healing takes 10 minutes to cast
Every time
>>
>>55427954
Slow healing just means you need a cleric to heal. Or the healer feat. Or the fighter's second wind. It means regaining all your spells several times more often than your hp. It would make stretching an adventure over days even more novatastic.

Consider a level 11 barbarian, Con 16. Currently 1 hp 0 hd with max 115 hp and 11 hd. He regains 5 hd each long rest and needs 23 HD to reach full 'health', so 4.6 (really 5) days of rest.

Now look at a 14 con paladin in the same situation. Max hp 92. Because of lay on hands he'll reach full 'health' in three days and have 49 points of healing left over to help someone else. The fighter with second wind reaches 90% of full health in just two days, and max hp in one.

So use slow healing if you hate barbarians is what I'm saying.
>>
>Long Rest: The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character’s total number of them.

>Round Down: Whenever you divide a number in the game, round down if you end up with a fraction, even if the fraction is one-half or greater.

Level 1: 1 hit die/2 = 0.5 hit dice, 0 hit dice rounded

1st-level characters cannot regain hit dice.
>>
>>55429084
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/26/hit-dice-minimum/
>>
>>55428634
It allows you to hide without needing cover, and hiding gives enemies disadvantage on attacking you and gives you advantage on an attack, at which point you reveal your location.
>>
What is your comment on new Psionics guys?
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

I really want to run a fantasy setting with only psionics as supernatural element, not dark as darksun, more something like Witcher but where they prevented the magical apocalypse and burned all of the witches at the stake.
>>
>>55428771
I do both. Easier to add low numbers together, but if i feel the numbers are too big, i usually count current number and subtract.
>>
>>55429221
No monsters either?
>>
>>55429225
Psionic monsters like in Dark Sun. Some magical monsters would exist, but they would be so rare because everyone and their dog decided to mas-hunt them to extinction.
>>
>>55429234
I think you're in the wrong thread my don

Not that I disagree with the sentiment
>>
>>55428154
I like these a lot, but frankly if you wanted a scythe that much, I'd say to just refluff a glaive.
Though if the lucerne hammer needs the special feature for it, so do the falchion and estoc for Blade Mastery and Kukri for Fell Handed, right?

Speaking of which, my Barbarian got disintegrated from 3/4s health a few months ago, and I think it's time I brought in his conspicuously-similar sibling (albeit as a VHuman rather than Goliath-As-Big-Human and Storm instead of Berserker), thought I'd look to you guys for advice for the feat, since I can't pick between three. I'm using point buy here, starting at level 3.

Should I go with Tough for more "you can't actually hurt me meaningfully" silliness, Fell Handed so he can slap bitches around with a maul even more fun-like, or Prodigy/Human Determination for fun and the flavor of giving him a +1 in a mental stat? I kinda wanna balance the effectiveness with the flavor, so I dunno
>>
>>55429242
It is a spambot.
>>
>>55427992
To be fair, if there's no difference between dangerous lands and civilised lands, that'd be weird too.

Maybe make encounters in civilised lands the exception to the norm: something really serious just happened. A cult is trying in penetrate society and when discovered they summon dangerous allies. Suddenly there's a deadly encounter in the heart of the kingdom.

Some kind of monster got past the border patrols and is now wrecking havoc in the country side. Hard encounter.

If the PCs have enemies: assassins.

Deserters.
>>
>>55428801
>Over a loud battle with sword clashing on armour, and spells exploding through the air.
But everyone's taking turns and standing still, doing nothing when the invisible creature's moving. :)
>>
File: DMG.png (480KB, 731x592px) Image search: [Google]
DMG.png
480KB, 731x592px
>>55428160
>>
>>55429221
Let me sum up the arguments:
>wah i play exclusively wizards and psionics are better
>mystics are fine
>mystics can do everything at once if we assume they have infinite PP and start with 7 disciplines
>ban bards
>i haven't played one or seen one played but according to this napkin math they're OP if you build them like this
>there's no problem if you don't build them like a cheeselord
>REEEEEEE MERALS
>REEEEEEE BUTTHURT CASTERFAGS
>not muh fantasy
>did you know science fiction and fantasy were intertwined for the longest time in fantasy writing?
>[some horseshit complaint based on not having read or understood the features]
>wrong idiot
>too complex i cant believe they have their own casting system this document is 20 pages long now please give me more spells thank you
>d20naruto.pdf
>there's no way to see or stop psionics, it doesn't interact with the game
>just use magic-psionic transparency and/or manifestation displays, it's UA
>>
>>55429364
This pretty much sums it. Honestly I'm against psionics... in it's current form. Saying it doesn't fit the game is retarded though because it's been in D&D for fucking ages.
>>
>>55429364
thanks you saved us 100 posts now we can go back to making a decent artificier class
>>
Why does the PHB refer to the "use an object" action while the DMG calls it the "use an item" action?
>>
>>55429364
Are you saying they just given them spells instead of original shit? How have mighy fallen, why not use 2E psionics, fucking cunts.
>>
One of my players (who has never ran a game before mind you) is dead set on running a level 20 campaign, all Homebrew. I'm not wrong in thinking this is insane, right?
If he does go through with it what class is best to teach him it's better to start small, I'm thinking a level 20 illusionist wizard.
>>
>>55428543
The same way we view chimps?
>>
>>55428852
Use some stuff from the Chase section in the DMG.

>>55429049
That's a fair point. I don't like the Slow Healing rule, I'd much rather use Gritty Realism since it affects the mechanics as a whole.
>>
>>55429245
Fell Handed is pretty good, especially if you don't use dumb flanking rules.

>>55429494
Wizard is a given. Illusionist is moot since he can cut off most of your shit if he so desires. I think Diviner is a safer pick.
>>
>>55429494
Yes it will be a trainwreck
Wizard will traditionally ruin his day but I'm sure he will include some BS homebrew multiclass god DMPC
>>
File: 1477840535586.jpg (52KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477840535586.jpg
52KB, 640x360px
>Have a whopping 8 int.
>Still forced to be the shot-caller and plan maker, as half the players are just along for the ride and the others are too quiet and/or awkward.
>>
>>55429567
yeah this is awful
thats why i never make 8 int or 8 cha anymore
it's just so annoying
>>
>>55429567
8 is just a little slower to come up with things than normal, is all.
>>55429557
I know it is but I think I already have like two other characters using it, which is a large amount of my trepidation for using that on in particular
>>
>>55429557
Fell handed is weird
>Know the enemy is on its last legs
>make a normal attack and try to hit
or
>close your eyes and attack with disadvantage; lower chance to hit, but higher chance to do 3-5 damage and kill them
>>
>>55428001
Check previous threads for a full explanation. But basically your environment and how fast you try to move adds modifiers on your skill check; failing means that regardless of where you think you are/are going, you're actually moving in a random direction. Next time you succeed reveals where you actually are.
>>
>>55429586
Yeah, I tend to take my sweet time coming up with an idea that my character would actually have. If it's a half-decent one I try and justify it in ways other than Int. A good plan that involves saving people was concieved more by his desire to save people than his mighty 8 intellect.
>>
So let's say you've got a ranger who want's to multiclass as a nature cleric. Does he now gain the skill proficiencies granted by the nature domain cleric?
>>
>>55429624
Yes. Why wouldn't you? Would be pretty pointless to multiclass if you didn't get the class features
>>
>>55429615
He's at least got a higher WIS, right?
>>
>>55429641
A MIGHTY 10.
>>
>>55429643
...Idiot-savant type? I got a character who's a bit dim and slow with his own 8 INT but god DAMN he knows how to work his way around a forge/with anything smithing-related.
>>
>>55429643
8 isn't particularly low. He's probably on par with the average villager and they get by wearing clothes and growing crops and sewing and crafting and smithing.

INT is an abstraction of critical thinking skills. How fast you can solve a riddle and your ability to learn. It's only a -1 to the stat as well, you're no dumber than someone with a +1 would be smarter. It's a very minute stupidity. He's the C student who still manages to go to trade school and make 60k a year doing craft work.
>>
File: 1488725747283.jpg (24KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
1488725747283.jpg
24KB, 600x350px
>>55429651
Is this him.

>>55429717
This is more how I'm trying to play it, if only because I'm forced to because of my mute or "I kill the thing" party members.
>>
>>55429735
Hah. Yeah, sorta.
>>
>>55429557
>>55429562
Any ideas for broken characters if someone grabs wizard before I can? Level 20 cleric seems pretty broken
>>
>>55429471
Exactly the opposite, they made the system even more distinct and , that's what the crybabies keep whaling about
>>
>>55429844
Level 20 Barbarians can break many things.
>>
What's a good feat for a Longbow-using Revised Ranger?
Sharpshooter isn't worth it since we tend to face high AC enemies and the -5/+10 isn't a good trade since ranger adds lots of dice to his normal attacks already.
>>
What are the best MC options for an OaA Paladin and what do they offer that's better than taking Paladin to 20?
>>
>>55429980
Sharpshooter also removes range penalty and lets you ignore cover, so unless your DM doesn't use cover rules and has you fight in claustrophobic environments ALWAYS, the feat is still really good.
>>
>>55429980
Alert, Resilient (Wis), Skulker
>>
>>55427670
Why aren't any of them black?
>>
>>55430007
Just because they have fair skin doesn't mean they aren't black you racist
>>
>>55429936
Players are retarded, all of them.
I fucking hate when people whine, no you can't fuck you, die.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 625x626px
What's the edgiest Favored Enemy?
>>
>>55430152
Celestials hands down
>>
>>55430152
Either women or children
>>
>>55430152
Humanoids (Roasties and Normies)
>>
>>55430152
My goth rangers favored enemy is himself
>>
>>55429567
Shy players are SO difficult to manage. I've got one guy in my group who chose the carlitsin background, and the whole "Insults and sarcasm are my weapon of choice" thing. He once (ONCE) muttered something sarcastic. Very quietly. Then blushed for the rest of the session. I try to keep him involved, give him all sorts of different NPCs to interact with, and all he'll do is kind of mumble meekly along.
Just kill me. Kill me now.
>>
>>55430195
Kek, stealing this
>>
>>55429992
Lore Bard 13, allows you to still get your high level Paladin spells and gives more Smiting slots.
Sorc 13, allows you to use Metamagic to do things like Quicken a SCAG cantrip, effectively giving you a 3rd attack as a bonus action (and more chances/slots to smite).
>>
>>55430265
Is it really worth going that far into another class? I was looking more into a dip.
>>
File: 1476183175236.png (671KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1476183175236.png
671KB, 1000x1000px
>>55430242
Glad someone else understands. By the sounds of it you're the DM, I can only imagine how tough it must be to try and keep them active. As a player I do try my best to throw any conversations their way and hear their input, but it's normally "yeah" or "okay"
How many sessions have you done with this player? Our mumblemaster is slowly getting a bit better at it, even if it means doing straight up retarded things.
>>
>>55430242
>carlitsin background

the what now?
>>
>>55430152
>Revised Ranger
>Choose a type of favored enemy: beasts, fey, humanoids, monstrosities, or undead.

Out of those, probably humanoids. Cause muh grim manhunter.
>>
>>55428308
>>55428319
I asked him if he was ok with really bad shit happening to his PC and he told me It was all O-K so today I will burn alive his fucking parents
>>
>>55430294
It depends how much Paladin you want in your build, if you're looking for a dip only then Sorc 3 is still good for Metamagic shenanigans.
>>
>>55430294
You basically get nothing important from more Paladin except Improved Smite at L11, Cleansing Touch at L14 and the Aura expansion at L18.

Bard gives you more spells (the most important thing), more skills (fairly important too), and some Inspiration (a good way to use your bonus action / reaction).

Sorcerer gives you more spells (the most important thing) and Metamagic (a good way to use your bonus action). I mean, the +1d8 damage at L11 is good but Quickened Haste on yourself is better.
>>
>>55430357

I think he meant 'charlatan' background.
>>
>>55430385
Humanoid is so broad that it doesn't necessarily have to be edgy, since Orcs, Kobolds and Sahuagins and shit all count as humanoids. You just also happen to be good at killing humans too.
>>
>detail oriented low level dungeon delving campaign

I'm new to all this D&D shenanigans. What does this even entail?

The DM is overly technical sometimes.
>>
>>55429567
Could you take a different approach to shotcalling? Like take initiative and then ask smarter characters for their conclusions on specific things?
>>
Hey can someone post some screens of the random encounter tables please?
>>
My party is currently hanging out in a "outlaw hideout" spot with roughly 15 NPC somewhat organized under a leader.
I was going to pitch two quests for them, one is about helping a rich explorer get to a new island, and another is to help some rebels overthrow the local king. Both is quite long quests with a lot of smaller quests tied into to.

I am also going to mention a billboard they keep in their hideout with bounties and persons of interest which will provide shorter quests. Im also going introduce ways of recruiting and upgrading the hideout with tools, gear and weapons.

Is this something players would find enjoyable? We're all very new to DnD and ive wanted to test out this way of structuring progress through a "main quest hub" so to speak.
>>
>>55430679
Very new player myself so I can't speak for more experienced players. But that sounds like something I'd enjoy. The only problem I could think of is that you'll be in the same area a lot of time because of the central hub, or will you have ways to 'fast travel'?
>>
>>55428427
I think finesse javelins might be a minor balance issue like finesse greatswords. Str has the best two handed melle damage and the best one handed ranged weapon. They're equal in one handed melee and dex is better in two handed ranged weapons. Basically, Str is also better when you have a shield. Minor though. It's 1 damage and some feet of range.
>>
Looking for some input here. I'm running a homebrew that takes place after LMoP and it's about to segway into something that rips off Tyranny of Dragons a lot. The party is about to go to Thundertree to kill a young green dragon, but I want it to end with them being directed to Waterdeep where a high ranking Cult of the Dragon member is orchestrating a plan to summon Tiamat.

I've currently got it so that there are encrypted letters that make reference to being in Waterdeep, but with the way the dungeon is organized they'd likely find this before the epic fight with the dragon. Is this fine or should I restructure such that the letters are found after the dragon is slain?

>>55430679
Pretty new DM here but that sounds like a decent way to go. I find the newer you are to DnD, often more structure is better so you don't get overwhelmed by choice.

Personally I would probably skip the quest board and keep it focused on the 2 quest lines, because I don't want my party to feel like this is a video game and they need to 100% all the side quests, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
>>
>>55430740
bit of both, I think ill tell them that they now know the location and the way there, so they can travel there with the possibilities of encounters of different sorts.

>>55430757
good point, ill might just offhand mention it as i describe the place and make sure to emphasis on the bigger ones.

Glad to hear you seem to think its a good idea
>>
>>55429980
What's your conclave? I've personally considered >>55430005 all of these, and more, like observant, healer, medic, skilled, and moderately armored on my ranger when my DM gave us each a free feat as a reward though.
>>
>>55430757
How about they find the letters before the encounter and discover the meaning afterwards? not sure how you'd go about it though.
>>
>>55427929
Having a week of downtime rocks, especially if you're a wizard.
>>
My rogue wants to Misty Step behind an enemy and go for a Sneak Attack. Should he just be able to do it or do I have to let him roll a Stealth check? (though it would defeat the purpose of Hide) I mean, it makes sense since Misty Step is a bonus action, it implies it's fast as hell to cast and getting the jump on enemies this way is sound.
>>
>>55430895
Yeah, something like that is what I'm leaning towards. The letters are encrypted, and the encryption key is on the dragon cult's leader's body.

I can put the dragon cult leader in the same room as the dragon so there are two targets in the big boss fight which should make it more interesting and then they can decrypt the letters.

Originally I had the boss room under lock and key with the cult leader having the only key, but that falls apart if he's in the boss room. I think I'll shuffle things up so that the boss room is filled with poisonous gas by the green dragon, and there are scrolls of Protection from Poison around the dungeon that can be used to defend against it
>>
>>55428277
Historically, they were probably common in the british armed forces, because they were integral to the warrior-culture of the Sikh, and many sikhs fought in the british army after the Sikh Empire fell.
The Indian rebellion was mostly a hindu religious uprising, and the Sikh fought on the british side.
>>
>>55430679
I could buy the quest billboard in a city tavern or an adventurers' guild where people are coming and going, but in a sequestered hideout inhabited by a single faction? That would probably get an eyeroll.

I do enjoy improving a base though. But I wouldn't push it on the players, I'd just let that be something they can do if they suggest it.

Maybe consider, instead of the billboard, having different NPCs with crafts that can help them as well as ask for favours? Like, the cook, the quartermaster, the animal handler...
>>
Is Arcana Cleric the best gish? How is Cleric utility spell?
>>
OoA 17/Feylock 3
or
OoA 7/Lore Bard 13

can't decide
>>
>>55430941
No. Misty step isn't shadow step (shadow monk feature).

Bonus action isn't even "imply it's fast as hell" in 5e. Please get you head out of 3.pf. Bonus action is just additional action.
>>
>>55431017
OoA 20
>>
>>55430941
It seems such a thing is made available by the 6th-level monk feature Shadow Step. If he's at least 7th-level arcane trickster I would allow it without any issue - especially as pricey as 2nd level spells are for him.

If he's getting misty step from elsewhere then it depends of his level, basically.
>>
>>55431040
What benefits does it have? The others feel like they'd add some interesting RP stuff too.
>>
>>55431027
Isn't Bonus Action in the PHB written as "especially swift"? Anyway, I never played 3.PF so I don't know how Bonus Actions were back then. That said, you make a good point with Shadow Step. Thanks, gonna relay this to my Rogue.

>>55431042
He's an Arcane Trickster (he did pick up a level in Warlock recently) and he's hoping to get Misty Step on the Rogue 8 where he can learn from any school. Though I don't want to take away from the Monk so i'm gonna tell him he can't do that.
>>
>>55431082
Nope. No such words to describe bonus action.
>>
I have an ominous figure coming later in the campaign that the characters have already heard about. He'll be coming from "space", and is currently being tracked like a Celestial object. Known as the "Star Father" and some people worship him, some people think he's the apocalypse.

He's a pretty big deal and will be touching down on a Spelljammer Helm. Whether the players attempt to kill him or join his side, doesn't matter, I plan on getting them off this rock and giving them a Helm to traverse the Flow (not calling it phlogiston).

My question is this: What race should he be? Space-faring conquerors, royalty, powerful, etc.
>>
Good idea, i was thinking a board in sense that they nail up posters they find here and there, like "wanted" posters, "help needed" posters and such.
>>
>>55431132
i know the anon you're talking to has resolved his issue but he's not wrong with the fact it was written this way
>>
File: Polish_scythemen_1863.png (69KB, 250x299px) Image search: [Google]
Polish_scythemen_1863.png
69KB, 250x299px
>>55429245
>if you wanted a scythe that much, I'd say to just refluff a glaive
>>
>>55428351
Kensai.
>>
File: Ryze_OriginalSkin.jpg (273KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Ryze_OriginalSkin.jpg
273KB, 1215x717px
How do I Ryze, Wizard or Mystic?
Suggestion of subclass and core spells/disciplines are also welcome.
>>
>>55431243
Wu Jen Mystic is probably the best bet.
>>
File: 1484618338600.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1484618338600.png
354KB, 665x574px
If I crit with the bonus attack granted by critting/killing a foe with GWM, do I get another bonus attack?
>>
>>55431279
Your bonus attack consumes your bonus action.

You only ever get one bonus action.

So nein.
>>
>>55431289
Gotcha, thought that might be the case. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>55431279
It's a bonus action. You only get one bonus action. The answer is no.
>>
>>55430242
In fairness it can be hard to immerse yourself in a character who's different than you, especially if you as a person are shy. Even more so if you have a hard time being quick on the draw with comebacks and feel stupid and embarrassed thinking up insults because it's not something you do in real life.

My advice is to bring it up with him away from the other players, ask if he needs help or wants to do a solo session to get him more comfortable in his role. If that doesn't work and he isn't dead set on the character maybe make him build a new character that fits him more personality wise, even if it's not by much.
>>
>>55427992
>PC's are going through civilized lands, and their only threats are few and far between? They will never feel threatened or in danger
This is how it should be you fuck
Not every single square foot of the world needs to be a death trap
>>
>>55431401
Sure but the lack of threat isn't because of the low amount of encounters, it's the fact that they don't have to care about being hit because they know they can just lay in bed for 8 hours and be fine the next day.

I like the fact that slow healing has you consider avoiding combat you would otherwise steamroll over because you don't want to show up to your plot stuff with 15/30 health
>>
>>55427992
Maybe the nation next to them ain't exactly friendly. Maybe they send people covertly to start shit and you'll only get an idea because of clothing, money, etc. which gives them away. Something happened in their area and the country can't get to it in time compared to the players.

I've got the same problem with mine, it's essentially a sandbox and I may have screwed myself a bit.
>>
>>55431278
That seems like a nice middle term. There's some talents and disciplines that would mimic his abilities well enough. Thanks.
>>
File: drinkinggame.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
drinkinggame.png
1MB, 1280x720px
I'm making a drunken brawler type character and was thinking standard human with 16 14 16 9 13 9 with level 1 in barb and multiclassing for drunken master. What balance of the two would work out the best?
>>
>>55428554
>people using (pseudo)science to change the properties of thing
So magic
>>
>>55431137
Variant Human
>>
>>55431588
what he's saying is you don't have to be a spellcaster to brew up some potions
>>
File: Saitama.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Saitama.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
This faggot just punched a wearwolf as hard as he could.

Justify how no damage was inflicted.
>>
>can't make tavern brawler useful cause eventually shit will have resistance to your non-magic fun
though maybe magic weapon can be cast on an improvised weapon, but can magic weapon be cast for unarmed strikes?
>>
>>55431669
You don't have to be a spellcaster to use magic
>>
>>55431321
There's a book I've heard recommended that's supposedly helpful in regards to social dominance. Can't quite remember the full name, but it's "The Devil's..." repertoire? ...vocabulary? Something along those lines.

Anyway, it's always helpful to recommend character inspiration, even if the player isn't full sperg.
>>
>>55431714
Magic
I ain't gotta explain shit
>>
>>55431714
>Justify how no damage was inflicted
Because this character does not exist in 5e
>>
>>55431714
the werewolf would be unharmed by the attack itself but the friction of being launched into orbit would set them alight and kill them
>>
>>55431714
>implying gods are bound to the same restrictions as characters
Saitama auto crits on his magical punches.
>>
Can I have some ideas for a first session of a pirate based campaign for 5th level characters?
>>
>>55431720
A fist is not a weapon, so no.
>>
>>55431720
Wear gloves and cast magic weapon on the gloves
If your DM won't let you do this he's a prick
>>
For Curse of Strahd, did any of you have Strahd use any sort of weaponry beyond his unarmed strikes, spells, or bite attack? As in perhaps using the weapons of any personally slain NPC's?
>>
>>55431720
RAW, >>55432005 is correct, and >>55432043 dosen't work for the same reason.

However, talk to your DM about it. I would absolutely allow this anyway, and i can't think of any even halfway decent DM who wouldn't at least allow the gloves "workaround".
>>
File: Nigel.jpg (1MB, 2530x3864px) Image search: [Google]
Nigel.jpg
1MB, 2530x3864px
>>55431825
>crit range 1-20
>>
>>55432095
>and >>55432043 (You) dosen't work for the same reason.
Gloves as an improvised weapon, moron
>>
>>55431961

Their ship gets attacked and boarded by an enemy ship, maybe a ghost ship if you wanna be cool and spooky about it (but it'd fall apart if you have a cleric). They put up a good fight and just when it seems like they're driving the horde off, it comes: the Kraken. Summoned by the thrall of the enemy captain, the Kraken breaks from the waves and capsizes your ship, forcing the party to flee, or have everything go black in the darkness.

They wake on a desert island. If they comb the beach, they'll find their equipment. The first arc of the campaign is exploring this desert island, maybe finding some incredible treasure on it, fighting or befriending some natives, lots of stuff you can do. If you want to throw them a bone, in a secret cove they can find a legendary ship, once though lost to the waves a long time ago but actually kept pristine in this timeless cavern, unseen by mortal eyes in eons.

Later arcs deal with getting revenge on that enemy ship and finding out how their captain could summon the Kraken like that.
>>
>>55432043
As a DM, at some point of the adventure I just give my monk players magical knuckle dusters which give them +whatever on their fist attacks, as if the fists were magical, and let any weapon affecting spell affect those.
>>
>>55431961
-Port city
-Make them rather known local pirate group (being level 5 and all)
-Have some episodes of combat where rival pirate groups of the port city challenges them
-bring in the local governor in for some political intrigue
-maybe local governor hints them of treasure and wants a share
-players go to the nearby temple on an offshore island
-find cursed treasure (they don't know its curse)
-come back
-that night their city is attacked by either a.) a bigger badder pirate crew b.) the undead crew who want their cursed treasure back c.) a fleet that belongs to the opposing nation that the Port city's colonizers are opposed to

That's what I got.
>>
>>55432112
Are you serious? The gloves are worn equipment, not a weapon.
>>
How do organize your music?
>>
>>55432136
>no fun allowed
>>
>>55431720
Brass knuckles
Silver knuckles in case of werewolves
>>
File: 911.jpg (184KB, 1920x1100px) Image search: [Google]
911.jpg
184KB, 1920x1100px
I'm a DM hosting Session Zero for my players in less than an hour.

Any suggestions for a very small adventure or encounter just so they can play with those characters a little bit while the pan's still hot? It doesn't have to be anything canon in our campaign, either, I just imagine they'd wanna flex their characters a little bit.
>>
>>55432158
Could have them do a small pvp since that never happens or you can have them do something small that will introduce them to the plot hook character.
>>
>>55432146
I usually just give my players who want this shit gauntlets from 3.5 but changed up a bit.
>>
File: 1497909300378.gif (3MB, 391x256px) Image search: [Google]
1497909300378.gif
3MB, 391x256px
>>55432158

Kobolds ambush a caravan they were paid to protect. They wear sombreros, ragged ponchos and the fancy ones wield wands of fireball. Are you a bad enough dude to fight the kobold banditos?
>>
File: Strahd_Update.jpg (2MB, 1700x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Strahd_Update.jpg
2MB, 1700x2400px
>>55432071
Strahd is implied to have played the same game he's playing with the PCs with quite a few previous adventuring parties that have wandered into his domain: It's pretty reasonable to assume he probably has quite a large collection of useful magic items he decided to keep stored in castle ravenloft somewhere.

Look through the DMG, pick some magic items you like (and don't mind clever PCs potentally figuring out how to steal), and have strahd use them to fuck with the party sometimes.

Giving him a sword is also a good way to buff him up if you feel the need to. Make it +2 or +3 and keep the extra 4d6 necrotic damage on it.
>>
>>55432146
>The post this discussion is referring to in the first place said that it dosen't work RAW, but any decent DM should allow it anyway

>Still reacting this way

Are you just starting shit to start shit, anon?
>>
>>55432146
Is this bait? If you use game terms it sounds like you're talking about RAW.
>>
>>55432202
Go home grognard
>>
I'm looking to DM a game for BRAND NEW people. What adventure do people suggest? I was thinking LMoP or HotDQ since those are recommended/first from Wizards but I see those two generally poorly rated.

I want to do Curse of Strahd but I'm almost positive my players are too inexperienced for that.
>>
>>55432145
I have everything in a playlist on my android. One for City/Village/etc., Wilderness, Dungeon, Combat, Roleplay, etc. I'd rename the tracks to identify when to use them but I think I'm familiar with my music to know that "Concerning Hobbits" is for peaceful village traveling and "Jet Set Run" is for climatic boss battles.
>>
>>55432218
LMoP is good, and designed for new players. Run that. You can even transition it into Curse of Strahd, though they'll be a bit over-leveled for the first few parts of it, and you should probably skip the Death House pre-adventure if you do that. You're correct about HotDQ being hot garbage, though.
>>
>>55432218
>I see those two generally poorly rated.
HotDQ definitely since you'd need a shitton of homebrew to get it to be decent. Lost Mines of Phandelver though? I don't see where you're getting poorly rated, it's generally regarded as a solid module especially in the context that it's a starter adventure.
>>
>>55432218
Lost Mines is fantastic for what you want. I would say do something like Strahd afterwards but that might be a bit much for new people.
>>
>>55432218
>>55432255
>>55432257
>>55432275
CoS is probably a bit too roleplay-heavy for brand new players. Princes of the Apocalypse might be a better bet, since it's more of a straightforward adventure about crawling a lot of dungeons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo This guy's oneshot goblin tomb is also a good choice if you just want a quick one-session dungeon that takes almost no prep time and is new player friendly.
>>
>>55431720
>>55432043
>>55432116
Monks get magic fists at 6th...
>>
>>55432324
Yeah but they don't get +1/2/3 to them do they now
>>
>>55432324
This discussion wasn't about monks, it was about tavern brawler.
>>
>>55432330
no, but they do get scaling dice. Which is similar.
>>
>>55432346
Scaling damage dice don't give a bonus to attack rolls
>>
>>55432359
just get a belt of giant strength, shit, do I have to think of EVERYTHING?
>>
>>55430242
He sounds cute.
>>
>>55432384
>just get
lmao
>>
>>55430242
play with is pee pee under the table :3
>>
>>55432414
no less likely than getting any other piece of magic equipment, rarities aside.
>>
DM with 2 years of 5e experince about to read the PHB for the first time, what am I in for?
>>
>>55432384
Sure, I'll just walk down to Ye Olde Magic Items Emporium and buy myself the exact magic item necessary to make my build work
>>
>>55432447
a simple and easy to understand ruleset, plagued by people who think they are above reading the book.

>>55432468
literally same scenario for magic weapons. there is no "magic mart" only what your DM decided to toss your way.
>>
File: 1000 why.png (639KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
1000 why.png
639KB, 650x488px
>>55432447
>DM
>2 years of 5e experince
>never read phb
>>
>>55432430
The point is that you should never rely on certain magic items to make your ideas work
>>
File: read the book black man.png (72KB, 711x798px) Image search: [Google]
read the book black man.png
72KB, 711x798px
>>55432447
>>
>>55428878
FUCK.

I meant experience points.
>>
>>55432492
*shrug* not all ideas HAVE to work
>>
So is Paladin/Sorcerer more focused on damage and Paladin/Bard more focused on being versatile?

Looking into various Paladin multiclasses and want opinions on how they work.
>>
>>55432483
But someone who uses weapons can use many different kinds of weapons. Someone who primarily uses unarmed strikes has far fewer options. It's not an unfair comparison.
>>
>>55432538
If I choose to be a dagger wielding dex barb, it doesn't mean the game should have to conform to make my idea work, it just means I had a really stupid idea.
>>
I want to talk about DMPCs.
My friends and me are running CoS current as a relatively new group (we all started playing a few months ago).

In CoS, our DM lets Strahd show up pretty often and he fucks our shit. Sometimes he just gives us a conondrum (make a hard choice or I kill you on the spot), but sometimes he interferes with combat. Last encounter would've been a cakewalk if it wasn't for Strahd KOing one member and charming the other.

I'm not sure if our DM has a hardon for Strahd and making him his DMPC or if he has trouble balancing encounters. We are with a lot more players than Strahd is designed for (7 or 8) and I feel he might be using Strahd as a bit of a crutch sometimes to make the encounter tense. It's getting a bit predictable that Strahd keeps showing up to fuck us.
>>
>>55432563
That's my point?
>>
>>55432597
your DM is literally doing what the module asks him to do. Strahd DOES periodically show up just to fuck you over. It's his thing. He shouldn't be showing up EVERY encounter, but you should expect him every couple of sessions. Your DM may be going overboard, but do expect Strahd from time to time.

>>55432609
Then we're in agreement.
>>
I'm not sure I like Lady Wachter's Wish as written, having some goober trail the party and watch them.

Doesn't really break much to have Lady Wachter herself approach the players and be cordial with them as a similar means of figuring out if they're the right cut, right?
>>
>>55432597
It's written in the book that Strahd kinda shows up at the worst possible time for the players.
And CoH encounters are pretty damn easy as written, especially the random ones.

I think it's one way to use the old vampire. I dont like it because it trivializes the character, but it's not necessarily a terrible approach.
>>
>>55432529
I seriously don't understand the Paladin/Sorcerer meme, aside from a flavor perspective.

Paladin/Bard and Paladin/Warlock are both objectively better in just about every way. -
>>
>>55432597
Nah, this is the campaign you are in. Strahd will show up often and especially to fuck you guys over.

Strahd may seem like a DMPC, but this is just how Strahd is. Get used to it, you're in his domain now.
>>
>>55432640

Ok good to know. I wasn't sure how the module works (I avoid spoilers like the plague), but it makes complete sense then. I'm actually glad, I was afraid he was slowly creating a DMPC. Should give the man more credit.
>>
>>55432663
How so?
>>
File: phb.png (54KB, 460x564px) Image search: [Google]
phb.png
54KB, 460x564px
>>55432447
>>
>>55432672
now, we're not saying your dm ISN'T making him a DMPC, just that beating up wimps DOES make Strahd's peepee tickle.
>>
>>55432597

SPOILERS

Strahd is a dick and hate you. In our game, he showed up at the winery and tried to kill us, but we beat his ass and chased him off.
Once in Vallaki he showed up while two of the characters were off boning and chased them through the streets, almost killing one of the characters in the process. The next day he stole the wizard's spellbook and left only the threat of an ultimatum. The very first session he showed up with a horde of zombies that we ran from and holed up from in a church.
I expect him to show up like once an in game week at this point just to be a douche.
>>
>>55432666
>>55432652

We were warned that encounters in CoS were incredibly difficult, hence my confusion on why, without Strahd interfering, encounters have been extremely easy.

I assume it's also hard to scale encounters properly if you're with a much larger party than intended.

>>55432704
I guess we'll find out.
>>
>>55432652
different anon, but i am running CoS right now. we play like, 6~ hour sessions once a week. is it harmful to have him show up once a session because of the length of them?

the players are arriving in Vallaki now, so i know i already have my hands full with shit to do and also the church shenanigans. Think Vallaki will take long enough that I wont have to worry about Strahd stuff for a bit?
>>
>>55432724

Seems like exactly like what Strahd's doing in our game. He sometimes shows up 'just to talk' and make us feel uneasy (watched us sleep one time, the one holding guard was shitting himself) and other times KOs or charms somebody in the party in a single turn.

I hope we will be able to kill him.
>>
>>55432724
This sounds like an extra petty Strahd, or one with a sense of humor.
>>
File: Gulp.jpg (34KB, 650x262px) Image search: [Google]
Gulp.jpg
34KB, 650x262px
>>55432763
>I hope we will be able to kill him.
>>
>>55432783

Maybe when we're level 10 or whatever. Him showing up often does give us a lot of intel on his abilities, etc.
>>
>>55432663
>and Paladin/Warlock
this one actually is a meme, long ago someone did the math, and you only really benefit from warlock if you are getting 2+short rests a day.
At,say, level 10, a Paladin has 4 level 1, 3 level 2, and 2 level 3 spells. for a total of 10 smites of varying power (total of 25d8)

a 8/2 Pal Warlock has 2 level 1 spell slots per short rest, 4 level 1 slots and 3 level 2, for a total of 9, (total 18d8, plus 4 per short rest, needs 2 short rests to pull ahead in damage total)

and a 5/5 Pal Warlock has 2 level 3 spell slots per short rest, 4 level one slots and 2 level 2, for a total of 8 slots (Total 22d8, needs a short rest to get ahead)

all this ignores what you lose from taking less paladin levels.
>>
>>55432853
>>55432663
>>55432529
Man, I have this stupid Bard/Paladin munchkin in my game who thinks its cool to try to be OP in a game full of newbies who are just grasping the ropes. He doesn't realize I halve all damage he does and keep him in line with the rest of the party.
>>
since i see a lot of CoH players here, spoiler for Strahd:
How did you or your DM represent the Heart of Sorrow effect?
>>
>>55429049
>Slow healing just means you need a cleric to heal. Or the healer feat. Or the fighter's second wind. It means regaining all your spells several times more often than your hp. It would make stretching an adventure over days even more novatastic.
You misunderstand the variant rule. It's not just healing that's slower - a short rest take 8 hours, and a long rest takes a week, with all that this entails.
The explicit idea is to stretch the "adventuring day" over an entire week. That means resources need to return more slowly, including spell slots and any other features that recharge on rests.
>>
>>55432953
you could also reduce the amount of short rests they have access to. A pal/warlock, as I showed above, really needs two short rests or more to be better than a plain paladin.
>>
I had a idea for a campaign that is a bit out of the norm from what I have seen D&D 5e wise. I'm not sure if the system would support this.

Would it be possible for players to play dragons instead of advenutres. Like level 1 would be them starting out as Wyrmlings, and as they progressed they would become older, and gain more abilities based on their dragon heritage. Instead of fighting monsters, they would be fighting adventures, dragonslayers, and other dragons.
>>
>never have done a hexcrawl in my life
>read through ToA while DMing a homebrew game
>suddenly want to change every over-map I have to hexcrawl

or maybe i just really want to TPK this party so i can run them through ToA
>>
>>55432966
>Bard/Paladin
>>
>>55432983
Dragons grow over centuries, which by itself would make the game very complicated to run (well). Other than that - dragons have stats, and nobody's stopping you from letting players run them. Remember that monsters have hit dice they can spend just like adventurers. In the case of dragons, they have LOTS of them.
>>
>>55432991
How does the hexcrawling in ToA work?
>>
>>55433050
A hex is about a days worth of travel, but than can change based on the guide or means of travel or the terrain.

You have to have a party member or the guide perform I believe Survival checks to make sure they keep going in the intended direction or you will be sent to a random adjacent hex and could presumably get lost in the jungle.

it seems really fucking fun
>>
>>55432799
We got him down to 0 at level 7 in the winery, but he turned gaseous and flew off.
>>
What's your favorite mindless horde / pure evil waves of death monsters?

> Orcs
> Gnolls
> other?
>>
>>55433101
Goatmen.
>>
>>55432953
I thought Bard/Paladin isn't really damage focused though?
>>
>>55433101
Mangoats.
>>
>>55433064
That does seem really fucking fun tbqh. Cheers.
>>
>>55433101
Africans.
>>
File: toanavigation.jpg (126KB, 368x490px) Image search: [Google]
toanavigation.jpg
126KB, 368x490px
>>55433050
>>55433064
>>
Any ideas for an inquisitive rogue's backstory?
>>
File: mantis shrimp death.png (371KB, 800x2168px) Image search: [Google]
mantis shrimp death.png
371KB, 800x2168px
How would you stat a race of humanoid Peacock Mantis Shrimp.
>>
>>55433129
>Africa
>Forgotten Realms
>>
>>55433202
> The Sulatar, Umbragen, and Vulkoor
> Xen'drik
>>
>>55427732
>https://mega.nz/#!Kgw10Qha!DvWcsgAyGdNFtspYAUNWNCCPrzALIWY36ES9UXWCXRI
good shit
>>
>>55433162
I've seen a town guard detective who quit and joined adventuring party because the town guard was doing jack shit despite his findings.
>>
>>55433101
gnolls
>>
>>55433140
Thanks heaps, bro!
>>
>>55433202
The question did not say anything about Forgotten Realms.

>>55433104
Diablo 2 style?

>>55433178
Too powerful for players, clearly.
>>
>>55433250
>The question did not say anything about Forgotten Realms
But anon, this is 5e
>>
>>55433250
5e's default setting is FR.
>>
File: bd.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
bd.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>55433261
It's the default setting, not the only setting.
>>
>>55433305
>not the only setting
It's the only setting with official material, so it pretty much is
>>
>>55433140
>>55433064
What do you guys think of ToA?
>>
>>55433346
I'll shill the fuck out of it, there's a ton of content and almost all of it seems fucking great. The main plot thread and the subsequent smaller plot threads are all tied together nicely. The map is expansive but not empty. The random encounters are all interesting enough to keep travel moving along. The hexcrawling is a good idea. The actual dungeons are fucking huge and creative.

its not CoS levels of great imo, but its my second favorite so far
>>
>>55433320
Doesn't matter. >>55433101 asked about people's favorite, and unless you think everyone here plays exclusively in FR that means some answers won't care about what's available in it. Shit, I'll bet /5eg/ has a higher incidence of homebrew settings than the average 5e population.
>>
Alright guys. What kinds of things can be salvaged from 4e to enhance the 5e experience?
>>
>>55433241
I really do like gnolls, and feel like they're underutilized.

>>55433129
Never change, anon.

>>55433117
That's a great idea. What stat block would you slap that on?
>>
>>55433413
Skill challenges
>>
>>55431075
OoA 15 makes you immortal so that's pretty cool.
30' Aura is awesome and the level 20 capstone is quite strong (even though it's only 1/day)
>>
New thread when
>>
File: 1505343485356.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1505343485356.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>>55433504
>>
>>55433413
>Binary skill proficiency
>Class-agnostic, level-dependent bonus to attacks and skills
>Warlocks and tieflings in the PHB
>Death saving throws
>Qualitatively different armor classifications
>Dexterity as a damage bonus for finesse attacks
>Universal out-of-combat healing resource
>>
>>55433504
people like you tell me you're from /vg/
>>
File: Sorcerer Rework.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer Rework.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
Made some tweaks, think I fixed most of the stupid stuff like spelling, and actually put a limit on 6-9 level spells
>>
>>55433540
Wait a second...
>>
File: 1426531274366.jpg (32KB, 641x450px) Image search: [Google]
1426531274366.jpg
32KB, 641x450px
new thread when?
>>
>>55433504
When someone makes it. That someone could be you just as well as anybody, Anon.
Although we don't tend to do it before the thread hits page 8 or 9. Sometimes 10. It doesn't get bumped off that quickly, so there's no rush.

>>55433573
I know, it's almost like people who whine about WotC "completely reversing course and ignoring 4e" are full of shit.
>>
>>55433570
>Eldritch Blast
why
>>
File: 101038814-5.jpg (163KB, 1673x1790px) Image search: [Google]
101038814-5.jpg
163KB, 1673x1790px
One of my players wants to try his hand at DMing, which is a welcome change. I am a bit worried he will try to make things a lot deadlier than the norm, though.

Any suggestions for an "unkillable" character build? I was thinking maybe Half-Orc Barb going for Bear bonuses mainly. Or some kind of Paladin.
>>
New thread.

>>55433699
>>
>>55433691
Because it's just a burst of raw magic, all eldritch means is weird so it seemed to make sense for a class that taps into magic in strange ways. Suppose I could just drop a cantrip from the list altogether.
>>
>>55430756
What balance issue raises from a throwable 1d6 simple weapon having finesse? I might've missed something....
>>
>>55428301
depending on size, greatsword / longsword
>>
File: Calling it.png (277KB, 598x369px) Image search: [Google]
Calling it.png
277KB, 598x369px
>>55433706
>>
>>55433810
I think it mostly has to do with not making sense. Strength bonus to thrown damage makes sense because you're actually hitting the target harder. With Dex, you can be as accurate as you want but without the strength for the weapon to follow through it won't be doing any additional damage.
>>
>>55433008
my mistake.
>>
>>55433873
A str throwing weapon would pierce the armor harder while a dex throwing weapon would hit a weakspot more accurate and thus doing more damage.
>>
tfw 2/3 of our party died in a encounter
>>
>>55434028
Against what?
>>
>>55434028
a bunch of bandits on the street. this is our third session of our first ever game. our paladin meatshield was sleeping in the inn
>>
>>55434154
your paladin seems sensible.
>>
Is there an ideal number of enemies for an encounter? I'm trying to write my first ever battle for our level 2 PCs and I've decided what I had in mind is going to be unfun because of the time between play turns
>>
>>55434154
don't
you
know
>>
>>55434534
player turns, rather
>>
Does /5eg/ have a mega for DM's Guild titles?
>>
>>55434534
More difficult the encounter, more turns. Since they are only level two I'd probably aim for 3 turns if they just meet bandits in an alley.
>>
>>55434534
as many as you have players, maybe more if they're super weak. action economy is everything, especially at low levels when you can get 1 shotted
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.