[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anthros and Clothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

File: tumblr_nmpll454RI1qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg (800KB, 819x1300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmpll454RI1qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg
800KB, 819x1300px
I've been thinking lately if Anthropological creatures like wolf people would develop clothing.
When humans faced the hazards of environment they had no choice but to come up with something to help them stay warm so they used animal hides to cover themselves.
But would an anthro even need something like this? If he is covered in fur in the first place does it mean that they will not develop it and remain primitive tribal people?
>>
File: ryota-murayama-160724-10.jpg (695KB, 1920x1055px) Image search: [Google]
ryota-murayama-160724-10.jpg
695KB, 1920x1055px
Or will they eventually come up with it in order to protect themselves from weapons of other races and other tribes?
>>
File: tumblr_nw26ylFzuL1qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg (982KB, 990x1400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw26ylFzuL1qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg
982KB, 990x1400px
What about concept of shame?
What if they would suddenly feel it is wrong to walk just like you were born and it is unworthy to do so so they will start to cover themselves up?
>>
File: stealthj.jpg (801KB, 1000x777px) Image search: [Google]
stealthj.jpg
801KB, 1000x777px
Would they wear additional hides in The northern regions?
>>
>>55426535
>>55426535
Probably not, but if natural selection is still relevant (a wizard didn't do it) they might face similar processes that would lead to reduced fur coverage.

Maybe some decorative or modesty shit, and armor, but no, a wolfman doesn't need a fur coat.

Someone travelling from a different climate would though, they wouldn't have time to grow a winter coat say. Or like a rat-person would want clothes if he was leaving his burrow because he doesn't necessarily have a fur suitable to being out in winter all day.
>>
File: tumblr_nes0ltZs8y1qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg (991KB, 1200x1095px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nes0ltZs8y1qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg
991KB, 1200x1095px
What impact does the developing of clothes has on society?
>>
>>55426559
With that in mind, I think of John Carter of Mars (praise ERB), where clothing isn't so much for protection as ornamentation. Could be viable for a species or culture where protection (either from attack or environment) isn't so much a concern.
>>
File: tumblr_nnqcsdLEq81qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg (661KB, 1200x848px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnqcsdLEq81qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg
661KB, 1200x848px
Is developing clothes a necessary requirement for developing into proper civilization?
>>
>>55426578
Could make them more promiscuous, mating bits being more exposed in less-clothed cultures. It's an obvious one, but nonetheless relevant.
>>
>>55426576
Maybe some eccentric wolfman noble would wear a fur coat to show off that he does jack shit all day and thus doesn't need to worry about getting too hot.
Kind of like the chinese nobility and their impractically long nail fad.

After all, ornamenting yourself with bling or bones gotta get boring at some point.
>>
>>55426614
I'd say the reverse. Tribal cultures are constantly banging and raping. Clothing as a shame-reduction mechanism means that the society views constant sex as bad.

So clothing = less promiscuous.
>>
>>55426657
Interesting idea.
But on the other hand won't additional fur coat make him sweat more? I doubt this is a pleasant experience for someone who think of himself as noble.
>>
File: 3Jnl1x8.jpg (77KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3Jnl1x8.jpg
77KB, 500x375px
>>55426578

I remember reading about the scientific journal of a french maritime explorer who recorder his experience with numerous south sea island cultures during the 60's and 70's.

He noted that in cultures where neither the women or men wore any clothing the people tended to make love to the entire body, instead of being fixated on one or more ''erotic'' area such as breasts or buttocks. They also took more time with foreplay and almost always had intercourse in ways that provided maximum skin-on-skin contact.

He noted that there were no bizarre fixations, fetishes or obsessions among the islanders when it came to sex, sexual paraphenilia or sexual organs, unlike cultures that had a culture of clothing and/or strict norms regarding apparel.

When he showed some of the islanders issues of Playboy and other magazines(to probe a reaction from the men) the men of the islanders were simply puzzled by the scantily clad 2D ladies. They just didn't get them, nor understood what was supposed to be so arousing about them wearing bras and panties like that.
>>
>>55426689
Things with fur tend not to sweat.
And if women can be vain enough to torture themselves with things like corsets, I'm sure a wolfman could choose to torture himself with being hot and a tad smelly in the pursuit of vanity.
it'd be a good excuse to start wearing perfume, if nothing else.
>>
>>55426689
foot-binding wasn't exactly pleasant either, but it served the purpose of saying "hey, my feet can't do shit for actual practical walking. Look how wealthy I am, people carry me everywhere."

>>55426666
mmmmmmm, that's arguable. I get your angle, but like I said >>55426586 about clothing as ornamentation ... I dunno, guess it depends on the purpose of the clothing, and the culture.
>>
>>55426689
>>55426713
Could have his fur trimmed and undercoat brushed out. Stylish to keep it thin and light.
>>
File: tumblr_ntjogrEzD61qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg (651KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntjogrEzD61qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg
651KB, 1000x1414px
>>55426707
That's very interesting.
Thanks.

So basically developing clothes will lead to some sort of taboos considering sex behavior and also change their views on sexual appealing?
>>
>>55426746
hidden = mysterious = enticing.

granted, hidden can also = mysterious = terrifying.

but.
>>
>>55426726
Hmm. That could actually lead to something like they had in China and Japan where certain class of people were unique hairstyle to them.

Maybe nobles would trim certain areas that will show their status too.
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (27KB, 1200x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
27KB, 1200x950px
How about channeling our inner Gaben and giving importance to Hats? They protect the head but you can alter the design a bit to all for full ear mobility or protection. Would they become the new status item that doesn't get in the way of so much fur?
>>
>>55426746

Just think of the weird shit the japanese have or how fucked up sexually indian/middle-eastern men are when it comes to sexuality and clothing.

However developing clothing alone is not enough to have a radical impact regarding sexual taboos, as taboos revolving around sex=/= taboos around nudity as an example.

It's normal to wear bikinis at the beach, but not at your mother's funeral.
>>
>>55426816
I can't really tell since I am not familiar with clothing development during our history.
>>
>>55426850
Think of all the hats we have available to us.

Straw Hats and Sombrerors for field workers and the farmers who harvest plant matter to feed the animals, them you have fancy Tricorns and all the other fancy Noble hats to show wealth. The fancier, more obtuse the hat, the higher up they were
>>
>>55426898
>the alpha male just has dozens and dozens of hats stacked on top of each other
>>
>>55426535
If an anthro species is of human intelligence, and lives by hairless ape species like humans, elves, dwarves, etc. then they probably would develop clothes of some type.

Be it just through trade and exoticism or the utility of pockets and armour, there's going to be a level of cultural osmosis.
>>
>>55426535
>Anthros

That's "furfags" you dog fucking pervert.
>>
>>55427093
>dog fucking pervert

aka canadian
>>
>>55427093
I would prefer to separate the terms while on /tg/.
Perverts are unlikely tho show their power level if you refer to it as anthros.
Helps to keep discussion civil.
>>
I'd point out that in cold climates, were they capable, there's no reason animals wouldn't wear extra clothes. Think of how often your dog or cat fuckin' loves to be snuggled up warm under a blanket.
>>
File: 10_Rabbit.jpg (494KB, 2000x2336px) Image search: [Google]
10_Rabbit.jpg
494KB, 2000x2336px
Clothing initially starts out as a means of repelling the environment, basically cold, rain, and heat. A race covered in fur may have an easier time with the cold, but that doesn't mean they will be perfectly fine with it, especially if they come from a warmer clime. Repelling rain, and having something to keep the warm sun off also works. Fur that is regularly shampooed and conditioned takes on a much softer and much more useless state. Softened and brushed fur is terrible for repelling cold. Wet fur isnt fun, especially muddy fur. Eventually these simple clothes become more complex in construction, gaining decoration and eventually signs of status. Things go through much variation and change after this.

Even a furred race will eventually create and use clothing, though its use will be slightly different from ours in the beginning.
>>
>>55427523
Very informative.
Thanks you.
>>
>>55426613
>OvO
>>
>>55426613
>proper civilization

meaning what?
>>
>>55430649
meaning y complex society characterized by urban development, social stratification imposed by a cultural elite, symbolic systems of communication (for example, writing systems), and a perceived separation from and domination over the natural environment
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.