[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/: 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 410
Thread images: 36

File: 1505437033793.jpg (70KB, 607x470px) Image search: [Google]
1505437033793.jpg
70KB, 607x470px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Tortle Package, thanks to our *wonderful* friends from the /5eg/ (((Official))) Discord
https://imgur.com/a/74MAj

>Our wonderful friends from the /5eg/ Official Discord
https://discord.gg/Wjs77ZM

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread
>>55409299

Tell us about your favorite/most memorable character, /tg/, and what made them so memorable to you?
BONUS: Describe the character without stating their class.
BONUS+: Describe the character without stating their class *or race*.
>>
Is picking warlock instead of wizard enough of a self-nerf that I can munchkin away without worrying about being OP?
>>
>>55414583
as long as you don't multiclass.
>>
>>55414583
I'd say so, it's pretty hard to make an OP PHB Warlock.
>>
>>55414583
Yeah, just don't go sorclock
>>
>>55414544
What do rangers even do in their downtime? Wizards and druids ect can spend time researching new magical formulas for kicks, clerics and paladins can pray or whatever, fighters and barbs can just kick back and relax in a tavern or something. What about the eternal sperglord? Those so intimidated by contact with sentient creatures they have to crawl into the wild places and hide like an animal? What could they possibly do for fun?
>>
>>55414644
Study, research and observe creatures, adding another favoured enemy to their list. I think it's fair if you're going to let Wizards learn extra spells.
>>
Sadly forever DM here, and the few times I was a player the campaign was short-lived. I can talk about an NPC, though. I didn't even create her, she was part of a published adventure, but I'd like to think that I fleshed her out and by doing so, made her memorable.

Jamna Gleamsilver was a very skilled character, with a tendency to show up where she was least expected and vanish when people looked for her. At first the party didn't trust her and turned her away, but she kept trying, she had a mission after all. She leapt off of windows, she broke half the party out of captivity, she even helped them kill a dragon! With a crossbow. From as far away as possible. And then she took a sizable chunk of its hoard, as well.
>>
>>55414644
Hunt, gather, do field research on the fauna, whittle, fletch arrows, grease their leather, sharpen their sword (if you know what I mean)
>>
>>55414644
>Those so intimidated by contact with sentient creatures they have to crawl into the wild places and hide like an animal? What could they possibly do for fun?

They spend their whole downtime working up the nerve to talk to someone in town. They never do.
>>
>>55414544
He grew up in the capital of a unified nation, a place where all are formally educated, and more can use some level of spellcraft than can't. Growing up, he was larger than most of his kin and acted as protector to his friends. Upon coming of age, he took normal work, only to find that he missed the thrill of combat, and the physical exertion that it brings. He spent time honing his skills, both mental and physical, and joined one of the 9 fighting houses of Thalmyr, hosts and patrons of the Grand Arena. He earned his fame and glory, in the arena and out of it, before being captured and presumed dead by an ancient enemy.

He was rescued by the party, and has decided to lend them his strength, both to repay their kindness, and because their cause is just and good.
>>
so im writing a backstory, which basically goes like this; accepted as assistant of genious yet eccentric doctor, doctor starts slowly pushing ethical boundaries of (monster blood) experimentation, but with clear proof of there being huge potential of what he is doing, as the experiments gets more and more debauched, they (other assistans are part of this aswell) acquire debts and a pre-pitchfork mob mentality starts to form from (not unjust) rumors. the problem is that i basically want to end it with the assistants and doctors using themselves as guinea pigs/examples, turning themselves into pretty much vargulfs
(i was planning on making a character that's pretty much a victorian bloodborneish doctor most of the time, but in combat becomes a savage half-vargulf thing, using matthew mercers path of the lycan thing for blood hunters)

the problem is that i have no idea how to write them from being into a pretty fucking bad spot to just gulping down the mcguffin potions without it feeling really forced

any ideas on how to bridge the situations?
>>
Reposting in the new thread for ideas.

I'm trying to come up with nicknames for my party. They just hit level 11 and an NPC will approach and call them by those nicknames. What do you think of these, 5eg?

>Fighter/barb the Unstoppable
>Devotion pally the Savior
>Eagle-Eyed/Deadeye Ranger
>Wizard/cleric the Divine Diviner
>Druid of Many Forms

>>55414036
Sillier how? Headshot Ranger? Fighter/barb the Boulder?
No idea for the pally, though. She's a protector aasimar and her auras have saved the party more times than I can count.
>>
>>55414725
He found that his body formed a dependency on the potions, making him sick and weak if he doesn't take them for a long while. Elric that shit.
>>
>>55414725
>>55414750
Oh, and maybe the mentor became addicted to them and started binging on that shit, so the student locked him up in a cold turkey intervention.

That's how he discovered that going cold turkey is fatal.
>>
>>55414740
the Kindled Light
the Unmovable Object
the Unerring Eye
>>
>>55414692
The only reasonable answer, rangers are truly the autism class
>>
>>55414759
i like the idea, but i was actually planning on having the doctor alive in my backstory, who my character is hunting to "put to rest", mainly as a form of trying to "apologize" for what he took part of creating, while trying to find somewhere new to belong while himself being hunted by the people affected.

but another assistant could easily take the place instead, and i think giving my character an addiction to the blood potions might give even more flavor
>>
>>55414644
You missed the point of the ranger. Non ranger classes are a bunch of pussies who sit in their cities and defend themselves from hordes of monsters who want to fuck their shit up. Rangers are the chads who get up in the morning, have their coffee, go to where the monsters are, and fuck THEIR shit up.
>>
>>55414740
A Light Shining in Darkness
>>
>>55414766
>Unerring Eye
I like that. I'll use that For the fighter though, Unstoppable Force fits him way better than Unmovable Object. And "the Kindled Light" doesn't really sound good or fitting enough. Perhaps something with "Flying" in it? She has been seen using that Radiant Soul ability.
>>
>>55414842
Is that what you tell yourself when you're watching the other classes through the whorehouse windows?
>>
>>55414884
You mean when I'm inside banging their moms?
>>
>>55414919
You'd have to be a necromancer in my case :,(
>>
>Download 10 dollar ninja turtle package for cancer kids
>30ft, 50 years
>Maps clearly drawn by the children with brain tumors
>New areas your party will have no reason to visit
>No stats for new guides
>>
>>55414949
post the pdf goddamnit
>>
>>55414949
Yeah the lifespan is dumb. Pet turtles can live to 80 and bigger ones more than 100
>>
Tortle is good!
>>
>>55415084
For your health?
>>
>>55415153
For your diet
>>
>>55415084
>claws
terrible
>17 AC
good at low levels, then is shit when the plate gets introduced
>shell thing
okay if getting range attacked or there's a creature with reach that can't get within 5 feet of you to ravage that tortpucci
>breath held for 1 hour
depends on campaign
>>
>>55415188
>Hold breath for one hour
I-it has a variety of uses Anon!
>Swim a long way underwater
>Win at breath-holding contests
>Avoid smelling farts, plenty of time for it to dissipate
>Avoid breathing smoke in burning buildings, although the fire might prove hazardous before the 1 hour mark
>Can pretend to be an alligator
>No need for snorkels in water campaign
Never speak to me or my tortle again
>>
>>55414850
JOSHUA GRAHAM DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>55414544
An elderly human Sorcerer who discovers that his sorcerous origin was a Red Dragon ancestor and suddenly realizes that he needs to get into Bahamut's good graces right quick after a lifetime of being an asshole or else his soul defaults to Tiamat.

Ended up drinking a gallon of fresh dragon blood and going nuclear so the party could make off with a chest full of soulstones from a Lich Dragon-cultist's lair.
>>
>>55414740
>Wizard and the gang
>>
>>55415188
Claw is a dagger that can actually cut net and rope instead of relying on DM fiats.
>>
File: 1492293736123.jpg (27KB, 294x325px) Image search: [Google]
1492293736123.jpg
27KB, 294x325px
I kinda want to set a game I'll be DMing for inside a mansion using non euclidian geometry and impossible space, is this a bad idea?
>>
>>55415420
Only if you want to play on a grid.
>>
File: Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg (185KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg
185KB, 500x731px
Starting a new campaign next week. Pitch me ideas for a short one (15-30hours of play).
Bonus point for first session details.
>>
Let's not forget that we got Tortle because of a Twitter poll and a thematic feud between two designers; Mearls being on the side against the Tortle, and that its polishing is a little on the low end considering how little time they put into the PDF compared to the whole of Tomb of Annihilation, and Tomb being mostly finished and in layout stages at the time of deciding to do something or anything with this tortle.

I wouldn't normally spend 10 on a product this size, but for Extra Life or a kids cancer charity I might be willing to put down for it.
>>
Playing around with expanded weapons and combat rules. Haven't implemented any yet, just playing with some to give my martials more options / variety in combat and weapon choices. I already implement different resistances in my monsters to keep things varied, but I digress.

> With light weapons, if you have advantage on an attack, instead you can choose to make two attacks without advantage.
> Heavy weapons still deal strength damage, even if you miss. It does not count as a hit.
>>
>>55415680
I take it you're just trying to fiddle around and bring performance closer together?

It's not really like martials don't do enough damage in 5e
>>
In the PHB it says that an atttacker will have advantage against a restrained opponent. Do I get advantage on grappling a restrained enemy, as the grapple replaces the attack roll? (even though its an ability check?)
>>
>>55415737
no
>>
>>55414671
But anon, that could give the ranger ( a martial ) a little edge, and we can't have that! Please report to your nearest Thought Clinic for unclean desires, you will be better in a moment.
>>
>>55414583
It depends on power level of the campaign, ask your DM. Others suggestions are good if it's a campaign by the guidelines if the DMG
>>
>>55415737
Not RAW, but as a DM, I would think it's retarded to not have advantage in that situation.
>>55415695
>>55415695
Yeah, you're right. I'm also allowing pretty much all the battlemaster maneuvers as standalone replacement actions (like grapple). People versed in armed combat should be able to all those things, Battlemaster can tack it on to an attack and get the bonus roll too.

Some more options:

> Bludgeoning weapons can choose to deal no damage on a hit, instead forcing a CON save vs. Falling asleep for 1d4 rounds
> Slashing weapons can choose to deal no damage on a hit to hamstring, halving the targets speed for a number of rounds equal to characters STR mod.
> dagger: on hit, player can drop weapon and have it deal damage again as long as it's stuck in the enemy. Enemy can use an action to remove it.
>>
>>55415267
My nigga
>>
>>55415420
It depends on how you want to execute it. Doors with random exit based on rolls and gravity a little fucked up should be ok, if it's too much complex you might annoy your players. Ultimately, you can make the mansion, DM side, complex and with whatever rules you want, but player side should be more concentrated on perceived fuckery of physic laws more than fine details.
>>
So, /tg/, I decided to write up a short document on adapting the existing races and classes of DnD to a generic medieval Asian setting, similar to how generic DnD is based on a genericized version of medieval Europe.

https://pastebin.com/0AF0ws10

Thoughts?
>>
File: shadowrun air.jpg (227KB, 1552x994px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun air.jpg
227KB, 1552x994px
>>55415188
>>55415240
>>
>>55414544
holy shit, the discord is getting an insane influx of new people
and only 3 or 4 of them ever wrote something
>>
>>55415967
>Sticking your dick in a mouth that's a giant beak that can shear through bone like paper
>>
So, WOTC brought up (what I thought was) a really interesting approach in regards to character progression in the Unearthed Arcana regarding the Three Pillars. Combat, Exploration, Social Interaction

The problem I noticed though, whether it was something they focused on as core aspects of the game from the beginning, it doesn't really reflect in the mechanics.

Any good suggestions on mechanics, rules, or class features that numerically / mechanically focus on Exploration as a core part of the game? I feel like it's obviously skewed very much towards Combat, with a fraction of that dedicated to Social Interaction....the remainder supposedly addressing Exploration in pretty much just fluff.
>>
>>55416000
What are you, gay?
>>
>>55416008
>that numerically / mechanically focus on Exploration as a core part of the game
There's the default ranger. He's widely believed to be the worst class in the game. No points for deducing why is that.
>>
>>55413138
I think saves are setup to intentionally prevent attack buffs from working on them, and make it a little easier to pass saves in general. This is to balance the greater effects that failed saves are allowed, with lesser save effects getting guaranteed results like half damage and difficult terrain.

>>55413201
I feel like this works better if his term of service is defined in a more abstract manner, rather than sheer passage of time. Like "congratulations, that makes 10,000 pints of blood spilled. I'm free."
>>55413505
The Astral Plane at least has color pools you can look for. The Ethereal Plane seems like you'd just be stuck.
>>55413654
I kinda hoped for my archer to become known as "the bald (as in eagle)," but that's probably too specific to help you. The pally could be "the devoted". Or not.
>>
>>55415915
>>55415915
I'm down for monkey people, but the lack of tanukis despite there being kitsunes always disappoints me. I'll have to homebrew my own at some point.
>>
>>55415967
You got me there, I guess 17 AC while having sex is pretty fucking amazing for a campaign where violence during sex happens
>>
>>55414980
>Not making your own pdf from the imgur files
>>
File: 3.jpg (5KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
5KB, 250x167px
>>55415188
Tortles are perfect for survial related encounters of course thier traits would seem super situational.
>Claws
Means worst case scenario, you always have a dagger at hand.
>17 ac
That's 17 ac always no matter what.
>shell thing
situational but lets you tank if you an impending trap is coming. That and the advantage gives you a good defence against being grabbed against your will.

Plus you know, there is always the legend of Throwlus the fighter and his mighty 450pd weapon - You.
>>
>>55415915
I like it. I wish more players were aware they could re-fluff classes/races like this to fit their character ideas instead of NEEDING a class called ninja to play a ninja.
>>
>be current year
>people still believe a 20 on a skill check is an autosucceed
When will this meme end
>>
>be current year
>throw stale bait in hope of a reply
>>
>>55416354
Why are you setting DCs in the 30s?
>>
>>55416310
The shorthand for "pound" is "lb," or "lbs" when plural.
>>
>>55416418
Immovable rods.
>>
>>55416392
I see this way too too often
>>
>>55416422
thanks I forgot that.
>>
>>55416418
the DC doesn't necessarily have to be in the 30's, even a DC 20 may not be achievable by everyone with a nat 20 roll, I've seen many characters with negative dex mods whose highest result possible is a 19.
>>
File: 1438323012698.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1438323012698.gif
2MB, 480x360px
How is this for a racial trait for people whose culture basically boils down to Pain = Gains?

Pain Conditioning:
Years of faithful devotion have resulted in a resolute body and mind. Whenever you succeed on a Constitution check you gain temporary hit points equal to 1d4 + your CON modifier.
>>
>>55416529
Seems exploitable by being a sorcerer (or resilient con other caster )with war caster and wading into melee, and pretty weak when you aren't exploiting it that way.
>>
File: Shrugs Bunny.png (258KB, 351x364px) Image search: [Google]
Shrugs Bunny.png
258KB, 351x364px
>>55415800
>hamstring
>no damage
>>
Do any of you ever feel "burnt out" from DM'ing? Is it something that happens to you over very long periods, or does it come on near the end of every campaign?
I've been running my first ever campaign for my friends, 5 new players, for around three months now and I think it's wearing on me. When we're actually playing we have a great time, mostly because we all get to be together, but the days after the session have me glad we're almost near the end.

I don't think the fact that they're always coming up with retarded plans, always fucking up quests, and generally just being idiots helps.
>>
File: 1476199378194.jpg (464KB, 1342x1051px) Image search: [Google]
1476199378194.jpg
464KB, 1342x1051px
Is there a videogame that uses 5e rules?
>>
>>55416600
no, it's just you.
>>
>>55414544
came to your senses and added us back

ill homebrew something special for you tell me something you want
>>
>>55416600
I get burnt out by about the third session
>>
>>55416564
I was actually thinking of a high risk high reward melee caster when I wrote it up.
>Succeed con save
>Get temp HP
>Fail con save
>Don't get any temp HP, lose spell
Having no personal experience with melee caster builds, if this makes something utterly broken i'll change it. I did think about making it
>Spend a hit die to gain 2d4+CON
so it had an element of resource management. I'm a fan of hit die as a concept and i'm always looking for more things to do with them besides just healing during rests.
>>
There's a PC playing a giant in my group, should I be concerned? Or is it no big deal if you take any random thing from the MM and make it playable?
>>
>>55416600
I know a friend in a similar situation and also describes himself as being pretty tired, so it's not just you.
>>
>>55416488
You got it, mate!

>>55416529
Constitution checks barely even exist, so I'm not sure this will really do anything.
>>
>>55416674
Would concentration saves count?
>>
File: 20170304_151117.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_151117.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>55414644
>What do rangers even do in their downtime?

hunting

literally the sport of kings in medieval times
>>
>>55416707
No, because saves are not checks.
3 types of rolls in 5e - checks, saves, and attacks. There is zero overlap and between them they cover every roll of the d20 keyed to an ability score.
>>
>>55416720
Actually not just ability-score-keyed rolls - death saving throws are saving throws for all intents and purposes. Yes, that means it's very hard to die next to a paladin.
>>
>>55414644
>What do rangers even do in their downtime?
They range, anon.
>>
>>55416720
The ability is intended to encompass saves as well as checks, I will edit the wording to reflect that properly.
>>
Guys

I am considering dropping the Skull of Argynvost as a vehicle for Baba lysaga.
Having it so close to a winery gem and so far from Ravenloft
feels like screwing with the design too much
You're my Greek chorus. Stop me.
>>
>>55416753
B-but doesn't "ranger" refer to ranged weapons?
Some people really do think that.

>>55416778
NYPGC
>>
>>55415915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKMw2it8dQY
>>
File: fukken rly.jpg (232KB, 1270x910px) Image search: [Google]
fukken rly.jpg
232KB, 1270x910px
>>55415915
>Aarockra (tengu)
>>
File: 37223871.jpg (74KB, 408x588px) Image search: [Google]
37223871.jpg
74KB, 408x588px
Anyone here ever played 1E, how was it like?
>>
>>55416631
Yes, be very concerned.
>>
Would like to hear some opinions about this /tg/.

So I've got a campaign where a red dragon openly rules a nation; he's polite, tries his best to be a fair and just ruler, and even betrayed the Cult of the Dragon/Tiamat and was thus a pretty big part in stopping them.

Obviously Tiamat hates him here but what about Bahamut? Would he be helpful and try to guide him along or would he be leery as shit in thinking this is a huge ruse because this red dragon has a country and is not acting like a red dragon?
>>
>>55416631
It's a red flag, but more about the DM than the player. The player may not know any better, but the DM has no excuse. It's their job to know better and have good judgment, which clearly isn't happening here.
I'm not saying "leave now reeeee" but definitely be aware of other signs of the DM inadvertently fucking with basic game concepts and balance.
>>
>>55417045
Bahamut is a god my dude. He's gonna be able to suss out that Dragon's true intentions, and I'm pretty sure all the chromatic dragons chilling the fuck out and being good people... dragons... is basically his whole shtick. So if the Dragon actually had a change of heart and turned to good Bahamut is going to be all about that shit, gonna be sending divine messages to his Paladins not to fuck with that shit.
>>
File: 1493397126039.jpg (63KB, 668x670px) Image search: [Google]
1493397126039.jpg
63KB, 668x670px
>>55416963
It was okay if a little odd. One thing that stands out is that making a character is really tough since the attack matrices are not in the Player's Handbook but rather in the DMG. Other little things stick out, but it is playable if dated by today's standards.

If you want more info, go to the /osrg/ thread.
>>
I'm going to make a session 0 for my campaign tomorrow and I'll try to convince my players to roll stats in order (first roll is his Str, second roll is his Dex and so on...)
Is there a better way to do this or make sure that everyone has a at least decent stats? (like a minimum requirement of a 16 and a 14+ or something like this?)
>>
>>55417112
There's no way to guarantee anything if you have them roll in order. I generally only have players do that for one shots since it can result in wonky character balance. If one guy has 3 16s to start and another's highest score is a 12 they aren't going to have a good time in a long term campaign.
>>
Is Monster Hunter worse than Battlemaster even in a fiend&undead heavy campaign?
Protection from Evil and Good is pretty good to have, you already come with Precision Attack for CBE SS meme and the bonus to mental saves can be decisive in a pinch.
Am I missing something?
>>
>>55417112
why
>>
>>55417112
rolling for stats is for meme sessions and one shots only. forcing players to stick with that for a long time is torture
>>
>>55417128
Yeah, I was thinking that if you don't get a least 2 15's you roll all over again, I think that would make it fair

>>55417138
Players get out of their comfort zone and have to make their characters based on what they got, people say it makes for more interesting characters
>>
>>55417112
>rolling stats for a campaign
>it's not fucking 2d6+6
That's a terrible idea, hell 2d6+6 isn't really a good idea either, but atleast it makes sure that atleast one player will have one good stat so it can do something
>>
>>55417161
>Yeah, I was thinking that if you don't get a least 2 15's you roll all over again, I think that would make it fair
>constantly rerolling until stats are "good"
>not just using point buy
>>
>>55417191
>not 3d4+4
>>
>>55417161
i understand rolling for stats
but i don't understand rolling in order

doesnt seem to bring much honestly
>>
>>55417235
sure that, still better than fucking 3d6/4d6
>>
>>55417112
Just
Use
Pointbuy
>>
>>55417242
In theory at least, it brings more variety to character. Instead of most paladins being str>cha>con/wis>int>dex, you might get a particularly smart but fragile paladin, which is a character few people would create on purpose but could create interesting situations both on and off the battlefield.
>>
>>55416606
Not...yet?
>>
>>55417290
If he's making them roll In Order he clearly doesn't want to give you the liberty to arrange your stats as you want as in pointbuy.
>>
File: 1355423876433.jpg (49KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
1355423876433.jpg
49KB, 441x408px
>>55417235
>Not 6d2+4
>>
File: 221716.png (544KB, 683x899px) Image search: [Google]
221716.png
544KB, 683x899px
Did anyone see this? Made by Perkins and Crawford.
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/221716/Tortle-Package-5e
>>
>>55417302
Disappointing in a way, Neverwinter Nights 3 when?
>>
File: ....png (47KB, 549x316px) Image search: [Google]
....png
47KB, 549x316px
>>55417318
No anon, we totally haven't been discussing it for the last two threads.
>>
File: slow.png (84KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
slow.png
84KB, 1920x1080px
>>55417318
Wow!
>>
>>55417313
>not 18d1
>>
>>55417313
>not 1d10+8
>>
>>55417355
>not 1d18
>>
>>55417362
>not 3d3x3
>>
>>55417362
>not rolling 1d20 for every stat
>>
>>55414740
If you've got one of those rich asshole types you can simply make people address them as "Lord X".
>>
>>55417362
>not 5d6k3
Really, everyone of you fail if you don't do this.
>>
Rolled 13, 19, 12, 8, 8, 5 = 65 (6d20)

>>55417377
Fuck it, HERE WE GO!
>>
>>55417321
>Neverwinter Nights 3 when?
Hopefully when Obsidian gets tired of their personal projects and Bioware feels like printing more money.

>>55417385
Please no, wait until we pass the bump limit.
>>
File: Arcane Conduit v.3.pdf (717KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Conduit v.3.pdf
717KB, 1x1px
Round 3 of this Duskblade/Magus/Spellblade Sorcerer subclass and discussion. So last thread someone brought up the idea of just reflavoring the paladin instead of outright making a new class, what do you think about that? Do you think we have enough spell blade/gish classes (EK, Stone Sorcerer, Bladesinger, Bards, Paladins, and Hexblades) and don't need more or do you think this could just be achieved through reflavoring the Paladin (Maybe make an Arcane Oath similar to the Arcane Domain Cleric), or do you think we need a class similar to this Sorceror origin?
>>
>>55417396
>Please no, wait until we pass the bump limit.
.........................no................
>>
>>55417385
Looks like we got us a Rogue boys
>>
>>55417406
>decent strength
>shit intelligence
>shit charisma
Nah mate, this is a dex fighter.
>>
Rolled 6, 2, 7, 15, 10, 17 = 57 (6d20)

>>55417377
Sure thing mate
check this wizard
>>
>>55417496
fuck you look sweet in that wheelchair, bro!
>>
>>55417504
>wheelchair
>implying I'm not levitating my way across the land
>>
>>55417511
>implying I'm not levitating my way across the land
>on my sweet as fuck wheelchair
>>
>>55417531
GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES! I'M THE MOTHER FUCKING JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!
>>
>>55417540
FUCK YOU! CHECK OUT THESE SWEET DONUTS I CAN DO!
>>
>>55417401
Okay, so let's break down what the various Gish types do and what they do well.

Paladin: Support buffs and spells, smite for burst damage, multiple attacks. Very strong contender with high defense and high offense. Few spellslots so tends to nova and then turn into a martial 9/10 gish

Hexblade: Laser focused single target dps. Curse and Hex means you can shit damage on somebody and invocations let you just increase the damage shitting potential. Very few spellslots so you basically are just a martial with magical flavor. 7/10 gish

EK: You're a martial with maybe some reaction abjuration stuff or utility spells, not even a real gish 2/10

Bladesinger: You're a wizard who can hold a sword. It makes a good backup if your DM throws 8 encounters at you in one day and you run out of spells and maybe the enemy has magic immunity so you can't just cantrip them for more damage. 1/10

This thing you made: First of all you're a Sorcerer, making you a full caster compared to all these half casters and warlocks. You can cast spells, but you can also trade all your slots for sorcery points which will give you arcane strikes for DAYS. You don't have the burst potential of a Paladin or extra attacks but you're clearly designed to use the melee weapon cantrips.

Fun thing I noticed is that you can spread damage out if need be by using a ranged cantrip and then bonus action melee against another target which is nice. You aren't locked on to a target like a Hexblade. Sorcery body would be pretty squishy but the extra health per level and the arcane guard temp hp will help blunt the damage you receive in a fight.

Arcane Channeling is kind of wonky but I see what you're going for. Unlike Paladin smite your big damage comes from your actual spells rather than burning them for smite.

Overall I think it's a decent enough gish archetype that doesn't step on the toes of the others. 8/10
>>
>>55417496
This is a Warlock with Cerebral Palsy if I ever saw one.
>>
Rolled 13, 4, 4, 14, 14, 9 = 58 (6d20)

>>55417377
Look at my paladin
>>
>>55416528
I have a house rule that if you have a negative modifier to an ability check or saving throw, rolling a nat 20 counts as a total of 20. They still can't succeed on things with DC > 20, but it gives that small chance of succeeding on something really hard.
>>
>>55417665
I would but he's REALLY ugly.
>>
>>55417607
Cleric, we call him Brother Fragilus, he was born with glass bones and paper skin. It's a shame he also can't walk two feet without tripping.
>>
>>55417681
>10 wisdom
>cleric
>?????

>>55417670
I like this house rule. I think.
>>
>>55416631
Have fun never being able to go inside most dungeons
>>
>>55417680
>9 charisma
>really ugly
He's slightly below average, but he's not horrifyingly ugly.
>>
Can a character with very sharp fingernails make claw attacks?
>>
>>55417694
14 wisdom, STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA, he doesn't even have a 10
>>
>>55416086
You realize Exploration means more than just nature shit right?

> Combat: Interacting with monsters
> Social Interaction: Interacting with NPCs
> Exploration: Interacting with the world

Trap disarming and communing with spirits and animals and shit falls under the same thing for this purpose.

But still, that also serves to reinforce my point. ALL the classes are built on combat abilities. SOME of the classes have things that bolster their Social Interaction. ALMOST NONE of the classes have multiple features that focus on Exploration. I feel like if the game offered more options, or a more structured nuanced way to actually deal with Exploration (IE mechanics and numbers), then we might be having a different discussion about Rangers because they would actually be the only class that offered an advantage in ALL aspects of the game.
>>
>>55417703
It's going to hurt like a bitch when one of those fingernails gets stuck in something and snaps off.
>>
>>55417694
>>55417714
Oh I see, I accidentally clicked the wrong post to quote, I was supposed to be quoting>>55417665
in that post.
>>
>>55417438
>decent strength
>13
??
>>
File: Channeling Spells.png (2MB, 1416x662px) Image search: [Google]
Channeling Spells.png
2MB, 1416x662px
>>55417589
Thank you for the response.

>Paladin: Support buffs and spells, smite for burst damage, multiple attacks. Very strong contender with high defense and high offense. Few spellslots so tends to nova and then turn into a martial 9/10 gish

So I'm curious with that personal 9/10 for a Paladin would you rather see this get a reflavor via Arcane Oath instead of say a Sorcerer or a full caster?

>Fun thing I noticed is that you can spread damage out if need be by using a ranged cantrip and then bonus action melee against another target which is nice. You aren't locked on to a target like a Hexblade. Sorcery body would be pretty squishy but the extra health per level and the arcane guard temp hp will help blunt the damage you receive in a fight.

Arcane Strike is not limited to melee attacks you can use ranged weapons and still get the same effect. I was thinking about giving the Arcane Strike a saving throw for the secondary effect instead of it just happening as I gave them War Magic, but I'd be concerned that no one would use them as they cost Sorcery points not spell slots. What do you think?

>Arcane Channeling is kind of wonky but I see what you're going for. Unlike Paladin smite your big damage comes from your actual spells rather than burning them for smite.

Are any of these less wonky? I based it off of them so the wording is probably not perfect.
>>
>>55417703
How sharp we talking here?
Like, cut through rope sharp or barely bleeding scrapes sharp?
>>
>>55417680
>charisma
>physical attractiveness
>>
>>55417700
>>55417772
I was actually thinking about the 4 dexterity and 4 constitution. That's one sickly motherfucker.

>>55417754
Yes, that's enough to wear Chain Mail without penalty, which would be better than studded leather for the dex fighter's early levels.
>>
>>55417759
They are all wonky, it's just a wonky effect that needs a lot of details to make sense. I wouldn't want this as another Paladin oath, as much as they work well as a Gish you would always have to deal with being a half caster with the Paladin spell list. I like that this archetype won't have support or healing spells and be more offensively minded.
>>
>>55417767
Lets say rope? In fact lets say the fingernails are actually metal clip-on fingertips with little blades on
>>
>>55417829
Oh jeez man, clips ons are gonna rip your fucking nails right off.
>>
>>55417703
not likely. It's not really about sharpness, but durability.
>>
>>55417841
>>55417847
Okay, right, a metal glove with razorblades on the finger ends?
>>
Where is my tomb of anihilation pdf?, I need to know if its worth buying
>>
>>55417829
So, kinda like those rings that end in a talon/claw?

I guess it depends on what it's made out of, so it isn't going to break or anything, and how sharp they are.

Adamantine claws would be pretty interesting.
>>
>>55417865
sure, probably d4 damage
>>
>>55417874
you can find it in NEXT WEEK when people have finally scanned and compiled the damn thing.
>>
File: mgsvsleid.jpg (79KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mgsvsleid.jpg
79KB, 1920x1080px
>>55414850
Shining Lights, Even in Death
>>
>>55417888
>>55417897
Adamantine claws for 1d4 slashing damage as a finesse weapon? I can live with that desu, now all I need is a smith who can work with adamantine
>>
>>55417897
Yeah claws as a Dagger equivalent makes sense.
>>
>>55417806
>They are all wonky, it's just a wonky effect that needs a lot of details to make sense.

I guess so. Maybe there is a better way to word it, something like Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade maybe?

> I wouldn't want this as another Paladin oath, as much as they work well as a Gish you would always have to deal with being a half caster with the Paladin spell list.

Agreed, to an extent, what if we gave them an expanded spell list with some more arcane options instead of it just being the pally list. I do agree though that it might be a little weird to have a Duskblade/Magus/Gish with fairly powerful healing options and revive spells.

>I like that this archetype won't have support or healing spells and be more offensively minded.

That's what I'm thinking is missing an offensive arcane caster Gish for this game. The closest thing to come to this is the Stone Sorceror which is why I made the Arcane Conduit a Sorceror origin.
>>
>>55417925
is there a reason why steel won't work?
>>
>>55417943
Because Adamantine is fucking baller?
>>
Do you have any critical hit house rules / variant rules in your game?

> Exploding die
> Max Damage + die
> re-roll 1s
> Extra benefit on top of damage
> Roll double die vs. roll die and double damage.
>>
>>55417954
in terms of weapon use, it is functionally the same as steel. Steel will be more affordable and every smith on the planet will know how to work it.
>>
>>55417925
Find your local tavern, ask about any master blacksmiths. If the tavern keeper isn't sure, go to the
dwarven capital.

If they don't have a blacksmith that can work adamantine or know of a dangerous location to find some, you might have bigger issues to work with the DM.
>>
>>55417960
Roll double dice for damage rolls
>>
>>55417954
just have a smith make a steel one, then get it adamantine plated later.
>>
Rolled 1, 17, 16, 14, 20, 6 = 74 (6d20)

>>55417377
This is my Barbarian.
>>
>>55418028
>1 str
Holy shit
>>
>>55418028
>1 Str
good job, mate.
>>
how do i import 52tools into roll 20?
>>
>>55417960
If you roll for a crit and do less damage than your max damage without a crit, you instead deal that max
>>
>>55418028
>TFW TO INTELLIGENCE TOO BE A PART OF SOCIETY
>>
>>55417960
We use max damage plus your normal damage dice for a crit, just to make sure a crit isnt entirely wasted by crap rolls.
>>
>>55418028
Does he even have the strength to pull himself out of bed, holy shit.
>>
>>55418066
That seems paradoxical.

What's the point of rolling at that point, if you can only do your Max OR your max if you roll less than your Max?
>>
>>55418096
The fuck are you talking about
If your regular attack is 1d8+3, then your max is 11. If you get a crit, you roll 2d8+3, and if that roll is less than 11, you deal 11, but if you roll higher than 11 you do that.
Are you a tard or something?
>>
>>55418081
for reference, sea horses have 1 STR. he would lose an arm wrestling competition with a scorpion, which has 2 STR.
>>
Okay, tg. I slept in by mistake and have 40 minutes before I have to host my next session of Curse of Strahd. Going to have to end up winging it because I usually get things ready two hours in advance.

The players accidentally delivered Ireena to Demon Arm Dude and pissed off the nobles there, fleeing down. Demon Arm Dude wants the players dead after they saw what was in his room and spent a ton of time hunting them throughout town. The players took Ireena's brother and are fleeing back to the Village of Barovia to try to plan a rescue mission and see if the new young Burgomaster can help them with that (because, you know, he "TOTALLY" has an army). Not sure how exactly to play this out or what to have happen when they get back to Vallaki.

I considered having them come back to a town undersiege, with the nobles and Demonarm dead at the hands of Strahd to give him his debut, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>55418115
Oh, so you mean the max of your regular attack.

Just saying max can be interpreted as the max amount of damage, period.
>>
>>55418163
>Oh, so you mean the max of your regular attack
>"and do less damage than your max damage without a crit"
No shit sherlock
>>
>>55418163
Retard.
>>
>>55414740
>Fighter/barb: Man of ruin
>Paladin: Noble Servant
>Ranger: Shadowed Stalker
>Wizard/cleric: Weilder of Destruction
>Druid: Daughter of Nature
>>
Racial bonuses and such aside, what do you think comes in handy more when being an adventurer? Being small or tall? and being heavy or light?
>>
>>55418234
Being fast
>>
>>55418234
Tall and heavy, with one person being small and light. The reason being simple - tall and heavy is good in combat, but sometimes you need someone who can crawl through that space or step on those precarious stones.
>>
>>55418234
You need both.
>tfw nobody but the small character can fit through the goblin tunnels
>tfw you need a big character to carry the smaller characters so they don't get knocked down by the gust
Dragon's Dogma was such a good game.
>>
What do you guys think of Out of the Abyss? I'm enjoying it so far but my group hasn't even left the Underdark yet.
>>
What are some good spells for an Arcane Trickster Strength based Rogue.
I can't think of anything necessary besides booming blade
>>
>>55418296
First half is good
Second half is similar to Rise of Tiamat quality in that it turns into 'Go here, here and here. You can go there in any order, but you must do all of them anyway'
>>
>>55418293
Sequel when?
>>
>>55418355
It's an MMO
>>
>>55418180
this is a no bully zone
>>
So is Tortle the best druid race considering how limited their armour options are?
>>
>>55418424
No, Tortles are best monk race.
>>
>>55418028
15 pounds of gear. You could be able to wear clothes and carry like, 1 weapon.
>>
>>55418143
By pissed of the nobles, does that include Fiona Wachter? If so, then yeah, town being under attack, ideally with the vampires from the coffin maker's shop and some carnage at the church (assuming that whole thing hadn't been resolved yet) might be the way to go.

If Fiona isn't upset with them, then you could allow her to work with the group; promising to let them get Ireena back and allowed into the town if they help her get rid of Izek and possibly the baron himself (though she could potentially get rid of the baron herself). She could arrange to sneak them into Vallaki in a wagon, or possibly arrange to get Izek near the lake somehow.
>>
>>55418452
>Barbarian
>Clothes
>>
>>55418424
Land druids, maybe. Moon druids don't care about that shit.

>>55418444
That, and rogues. You can actually make strength rogues now. And strength monks too.
>>
>>55418424
Armor isn't really a big deal for druids considering you can't use it while wild shaped unless you cheese it with like a great ape that can wear armor lul
>>
>>55418452
Don't worry bro I picked Goliath.
>>
>>55418477
>>55418483
There is always Shepard, Dream and Twilight druids too
>>
>>55418477
You could always make STR rogues, mountain dwarf being the best class for it, or really any race as long as you dip for heavy armor. STR monks are a thing now though, but I don't think they're optimized. Definitely not awful like they were before
>>
>>55417943
Nah, steel will be a good start for now. Also could I theoretically use a weapon while wearing these? It's the DMs decision of course but it would be nice to have them handy in case I drop my sword or something
>>55417954
My nigga
>>55417979
If humes can't make them there's no WAY I'm asking those bearded freaks. Maybe elves could work it? I know dwarves = smithing but they disgust me tbdesu
>>
>>55418538
>as long as you dip for heavy armor
But now you can do it without multiclassing which is great because multiclassing is stupid without an in-game justification
>>
>>55418564
you could always do it without multiclassing. see: mountain dwarf and variant human.

tortles are definitely the best way to do it though
>>
>>55418564
Multiclassing that involves multiple power sources is often stupid, but something like Fighter is literally the easiest multiclass to justify ever. It's literally just "wow I'm not very good at fighting, I need to train in some basic combat skills"
>>
>>55418424
Tortles are:

>Great
Non Moon Druids
Strength Monks
Strength Rogues
Bladelocks

>Good
Barbarians
Fighters
Strength Rangers
Paladins (except Redemption)
Clerics (even for domains with heavy armor proficiency, as you get +2 strength and +1 wisdom)

>Decent
Non Draconic Sorcerers

Pretty good race overrall
>>
Rolled 7, 12, 5, 12, 15, 16 = 67 (6d20)

>>55417377
I will save you all
>>
>>55414544
ToA leak album
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55418477
>>55418538
>still have to use pansy weapons like rapiers and short swords
what's the point?
>>
>>55418620
>he thinks the weapon's damage die is important for a rogue
When will this meme end
>>
>>55414544
can you stop posting the link to the discord? its attracting all the normies and i can't erp without them interrupting me.
>>
>>55418467
THIS. I like this idea. Thanks, anon.

By the way, they haven't encountered Fiona yet.
>>
>>55417960
Is this too much?

> Roll double dice
> Treat 1's as max for that die
>>
>>55418636
I'm not talking about damage die, I just mean you have to use those weapons, instead of smacking someone around with a club or a hammer because finesse
>>
>>55418514
Not in all games!

>>55418538
I didn't realize rogues didn't have a single feature that was negated by heavy armor. That is news to me.
Still monks, though.

>>55418636
Seriously. Rogues might as well use daggers.
>>
>>55418424
I think Clerics are a lot better than druids Tortle
>>
>>55418424
Tortle Arcana domain cleric seems pretty good
>>
I just want to play a tortle for every class
>>
These fuckers are going to be the Pandarian of D&D5e
>>
>>55418792
It is. Any of the non heavy armor clerics benefit from Tortledom
>>
>>55418867
I'm just going to run a one shot with my players in a Tortle monastery so they can all get it out of their system.
>>
>>55418831
I want to play a Tortle Cleric that worships the great Ar'Tuin from Discworld and has a little crab town living on his back

How do I this Tg? Feels like Druidom now that I think about it
>>
>>55418913
Druid/Cleric multiclass?
>>
Can a tortle druid wild shape into a tortle
>>
File: IMAG0031.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0031.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Do you guys paint your minis? Where do you get minis?

I did some research, and getting minis is surprisingly expensive. I bought the "Wrath of Ashardalon" game and have some Warhammer fantasy minis. They've been serving me well so far, and even a little paint makes the minis look a lot better.
>>
>>55418913
Shit yes. Circle of the Land, obviously, but we need to probably homebrew a space druid
>>
>>55418935
I bought the Castle Ravenloft boardgame way back in the day and those minis have been a big help over the years. I also buy a box of prepainted minis every so often.
>>
>>55418957

Do you get the D&D brand ones? They seem awfully fucking expensive.
>>
File: Oogway-KFP3.jpg (214KB, 866x529px) Image search: [Google]
Oogway-KFP3.jpg
214KB, 866x529px
It is time for the Tortle Monk/Mystic everyone.
>>
>>55418943
You could go with Artic for the coldness of space
>>
>>55418670
Personally if she thinks she can gain something by using them why not have her contact them? If someone pissed off some people I wanted to get rid of I'd offer them subtle help in do what I wanted to do, less risk for me and if they fail they aren't directly tied to me.
>>
>>55414544
I have a hard time with favorites so I'll just do the one I'm most enjoying right now.
He's basically a play off of the old assumption in earlier editions that later characters would become Lords or whatever when they got high level enough; his family actually is already aristocracy but originally came into their titles and fortune some three generations ago via adventuring and became fairly popular among the common folk for being "working" nobility and originating largely from common stock. The downside is three generations and one idiot gambler later most of the family fortune is gone, leaving them with their titles and a decaying manor they can no longer afford to upkeep as well as they should.
So my character basically decided that rather then borrowing money or trying to make it back using investments he's going to adventure to get his fortune.
He still tries to treat commoners really well because being a hero to the people is a great way to spread the family name and get more work and he's chivalrous as fuck, but everyone in the party expects him to to give away most of his share of the treasure when he's actually the one that always demands fair pay for fair work and he spends the most during downtime donating it to the family fortune so they can stop borrowing money and pissing away what little they have.

Currently his overall goal is to have noble titles in MORE then just his homeland and maybe some extra land in those places too just so he can say he brought his family back to an even better place then where it was financially and politically before his older uncle fucked everything up for them.
>>
File: chrome_2017-09-16_13-34-34.png (34KB, 634x343px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-09-16_13-34-34.png
34KB, 634x343px
300+ replies lul
>>
>>55419076
>Transgender D&D characters
How does that work? Does your mentally ill character ecide to cut a vagina into their gooch with a rusty knife?
>>
>>55418676
Well duh, you can't pierce a kidney with a club
>>
how do i input the 5etools into roll20? what do i do with the javascript file i downloaded?

help pls.

also working on understanding and setting up lost mine of phandelver for a noob group; should be fun, but a lot of work ahead of me
>>
>>55419095
Probably with magic
>>
File: 1e.png (860KB, 1066x672px) Image search: [Google]
1e.png
860KB, 1066x672px
>>55419095
>>55419076
sup kids
>>
>>55418943
Oh my God and we could conjure beast to get 4 Velociraptor reskinned as tiny elephants

Tortle has just become my favorite meme of 2017
>>
>>55419076
what this fag isn't telling you is that that discussion is actually remaining quite civil.
>>
File: iQtYrDO.png (147KB, 641x613px) Image search: [Google]
iQtYrDO.png
147KB, 641x613px
>>55419109
Does that even count as transgendered? At that point aren't you just "gendered", I feel like the Frankenstien's monster aspect is pretty key.
>>
>go to look at some homebrew draft you did half a year ago
>different options colour-coded
>have absolutely no idea what the colours signify

Fuck it, I don't think you fags are getting your Swordsage
>>
>>55419120
Godly beings are different and should have no expectation to conform to anything biological
>>
>>55419161
I'm devistated.
>>
>>55419120
>God of the knife ears is a degenerate
Colour me surprised famalam
>>
>>55416600
Good rule of thumb; never spend more then half the amount of time prepping for the game that you will actually GMing it, because that drains your mental energy reserves faster and the players won't appreciate that much actual preparation anyway as long as the small amount you actually prep is decent.
>>
>>55419162
Yeah it's not as if ancient stories are allegorical
>>
>>55416321

shadow monks are literally ninjas
>>
Can Kuo-toa breathe in weewee?
>>
File: 1505343485356.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1505343485356.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>>55419161
Oh no what ever shall we do without another homebrew gish to laugh at
>>
>>55419202
Piss is not water.
>>
>>55419202
I'd think it would be kind of like us breathing in smog
>>
Are there any rules in 5e about hitting an arbitrary space without meaning to do damage? I know there are a bunch of ACs for inanimate objects in the DMG (with tougher objects having higher AC) but what about something like a PC throwing a flask of alchemist's fire at a particular square? (It it was a creature, it's created as a ranged attack against their AC)
>>
>>55419251
in 3.PF, attacking a square is a roll against an AC of 5 or something stupidly low

I'd assume something similar is true in 5e
>>
>>55419251
Well the I guess the question is why are they doing it? Also does it have to be at that specific spot? If so I'd still make them roll an attack ot a check to see if they hit the exact spot they wanted
>>
>>55419239
GOOD point
>>55419239
That's actually very insightful, especially in response to a shitpost. I imagine Kuo-toa that lived in the sewers would thus have reduced hit die?
>>
>>55419279
>>55419242
Shit I meant this guy
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>55419076
>inb4 cure disease
>>
>>55419279
It's more likely that they'd suffocate and die if they had no regular air; Kuo-toa are amphibious so they can just breathe air, but if the water was mostly feces and urine then they'd find it impossible to breathe the same way we can't breathe in a burning building.
>>
>>55418676
Dwarven training.
>>
>>55419076

I kinda wanna make a character who was cursed into being the opposite gender, but I'm afraid it'd make me look too weird and awkward.
>>
>Tortle rogue
>spend all your gold pimping out your shell
>>
Considering a monk for the first time ever.

What's the best and/or most versatile/resourceful tradition?
>>
>>55417723
One thing you're forgetting is that most casters have pretty solid Exploration tools from spells. Unseen Servant and can trigger traps or retrieve objects from difficult-to-reach locations (and for wizards it's a ritual). Information gathering tools like the Detect line of spells (evil, poison, magic), Speak with Animals, and Identify can provide clues for puzzles or even bypass them entirely. Create/Destroy water has a few exploration tricks with clearing visibility, extinguishing fires and raising/lowering water levels.

I think the biggest problem is that exploration features for Fighters and Barbarians tend to be limited to jumping, and jumping sucks.
>>
>>55418935
>buying minis
Just get some cheap chess pieces, you fucking sperg.
>>
>>55419343
>solid gold plated shell
>disadvantage on all stealth checks
>still look fly while do so
>>
>>55419364

hurr durr cheap faggot
>>
>>55419317
Nah I meant the Kaka-toa could live on the dry walkways mostly but to hunt for food they'd be forced to swim in the greywater, thus making them less healthy mebs?
>>
>>55418028
Looks more like a 90 year old wizard with muscular distrophy.
>>
>>55419359
Open hand is the gold standard
>>
>>55419251
Some arbitrary ac and attack with disadvantage.
>>
>Be Wizard
>find sword
>Fighter is mad because he wanted it
>>
>>55418935
I use 3d printed ones.
>>
>>55419407
>offer to make the fighter a sword
>polymorph the fighter
>>
>>55419076
Don't kenku talk like a text to speach program with mismatched voices?
>>
>>55419447
unless they've spent a long time listening to someone to steal their voice, yes
>>
File: Quickling.pdf (802KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Quickling.pdf
802KB, 1x1px
r8
>>
>>55419359
Open hand for versatility
Shadow for stealth and teleporting shenanigans
Soul sun for AoE and range
Long Death if you want to never die
Way of the 4 if you want to have a shit time
>>
>>55419359
Kensai for free armor and more weapon options.
>>
>>55419407
>Fighter initiates grapple
>Can't concentrate on any spells to retaliate
>Fighter uses my own fist to strike me
Stop hitting yourself nerd
>>
>>55419463
Pretty quick
I'm not sure I like how convoluted Quickling Agility is
>>
>>55419532
By free armor, are you talking about this?

>If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn and are holding a kensei weapon, you can use it to defend yourself if it is a melee weapon. You gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn, while the weapon is in your hand and you aren't incapacitated.

Not quite free since you have to give up your kensei weapon damage
>>
>>55419541
It's the tabaxi trait. Only way to make the character able to match the creature version's speed using normal PC race stats and abilities.
>>
>>55419541
>I'm not sure I like how convoluted Quickling Agility is
It's literally the Tabaxi's Feline Agility trait
How is it even convoluted? Double your speed for free for one turn, and to recharge you have to not move for a turn. You dumb?
>>
>>55419566
oh
>>
>>55419561
It's free the moment your martial arts die matches or surpasses your weapon die.
>>
>>55419602
So, since you'd be dumb not to take longsword, level 17.
>>
Any tips for fighting Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeuf?
>>
>>55419740
Chop off his head with a newly sharpened axe
>>
>>55419740
Call /hwndu/
>>
File: 1492010220575.jpg (54KB, 503x546px) Image search: [Google]
1492010220575.jpg
54KB, 503x546px
>>55419740
Divide his attention
>>
>>55419811
Kek
>>
File: 20170916_155753.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170916_155753.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Question: with the elemental adept feat, does the chosen element affect creatures immune to the element, or are the still perfectly immune
>>
>>55420135
No it doesnt do anything to those immune. Because of this it is overall a pretty mediocre feat.
>>
>>55420135
It doesn't say anything about immunity, so they would still be immune.
>>
>>55420167

>>55420179
Shit, thought so, thanks for the quick answer fellas
>>
>>55419266
>>55419272
>>55419405
Thanks. Got another question, why does Alchemist's Fire deal so little damage compared to Acid? Both required an action and ranged attack so we can ignore that part in the comparison.

Monsters have Resistance against Acid less often than against Fire so in a vacuum I would except the Fire to deal more damage.

The acid damage is one instance while the Fire damage is recurring (unless a DC 10 save is made).

Is the loss of your enemy's action due to putting out the fire such a big deal that 2d6 acid damage vs 1d4 fire damage is justified? I feel like for the majority of NPCs, it makes more sense to enjoy the 1d4 fire damage and just use their attack to slap the PC's shit.
>>
I'm desperate for a game. Someone explain to me why recruiting from roll20 is a bad idea.
>>
>>55420242
Player quality varies greatly. Just make sure you know how to vet players well and you'll be fine.
>>
>>55420212
>Is the loss of your enemy's action due to putting out the fire such a big deal
Absolutely. 5e battles are short and you need every action you can get your hands on.
>>
>>55420242
It's fine if you screen your applicants well. Don't be afraid to tell people who aren't working out to shape up, or to give them the boot afterwards. You can always get more players and you'll find some who aren't bads.
>>
>>55420212

You might also consider the case where you have more than one vial of the stuff. If you hit with an Alchemist's Fire, you're not gonna hit them with a second unless they put the fire out. If they don't put the fire out, then you would 100% rather through acid than fire.
>>
Where did mega trove go ?
>>
What would you consider the biggest flaws / problems with 5e (or D&D in general)?

Popularity can't be the only reason it gets shit on constantly, can it?
>>
>>55420411
Who shits on it? It the best version of DnD yet. The rules are simple. Easy to learn for new and veteran players. The combat gets a little stale at times and it can be slow moving if the DM and players dont try to speed it up.
>>
>>55420411
The DM is literally always getting fucked over in some capacity.
>>
>>55420453
How so?
>>
>>55420436
>Who shits on it?

90% of /tg/
Most OSR
>>
>>55420480
>90% of /tg/
replace "5e" with literally any other game and that statement would still be true.
>>
What's your favorite way to generate ability scores?
>>
>>55420400
Taken down.
>>
>>55420411
As a DM, I would say handling CR is hard in 5E. You never quite know how easy or hard a fight is going to be, and the characters are deceptively strong and hard to kill.
Once you know that, you start thinking of ways to "save" your players and/or things that happens to "flip the board".

It's not necessarily a bad thing as it can make combats more dynamic. But it's more work on the DM's side.
>>
>>55420560
I would say CR fucking lies half the time, like shit with the ability to just drop a player dead are almost aways 2 or 3 CR lower than they should be
>>
File: Valor Bard.gif (1MB, 355x277px) Image search: [Google]
Valor Bard.gif
1MB, 355x277px
>>
What's the best race/feat combo for a lvl 13 paladin with these stats(in no particular order)
5e, never played a paladin b4
>>
>>55420480
OSR people generally like 5th edition better than 3rd or 4th edition.
>>
>>55414544
>Tortle Package, thanks to our *wonderful* friends from the /5eg/ (((Official))) Discord
Reminder you can download the album as a zip file on the end of the page, to the right of the media buttons.
>>
>>55420611
15 str, 13 dex, 15 con, 6 int, 13 wis, 16 cha, then be a half elf boost cha to 18, con and str to 16.
>>
>>55420703
Also paladin doesnt really need feats, but if you want to be complete trash. Take 6 levels of paladin and 7 levels of sorcerer.
>>
So how good is the revised ranger compared to other classes?
>>
>>55420817
It brings rangers up to par in general, then makes them excel at combat with their favored enemy
It's pretty great but it's pretty frontloaded so can be taken advantage of with a multiclass dip
>>
File: edgy shit.png (1MB, 815x1056px) Image search: [Google]
edgy shit.png
1MB, 815x1056px
Hey /5eg/ check this shit out. I wrote up a fucking blood mage sorcerer origin with barely any forethought. Tell me how to balance this edgy bullshit, also I hate the blasphemies of the flesh ability but I haven't thought of anything better yet.

Also I don't know how to make fucking pdfs, all the addon's I downloaded to do it are horrible and useless and gave me weird extra pages and bullshit.
>>
>>55420884
Not sure where that credit at the end came from. Probably when I pasted coldsteel in.
>>
>>55420560
Yeah CR really doesn't work, fooled me for a while. But you actually have to get a sense of what each stat and ability and effect means in the context of a real battle with YOR players to get a feel for what will be a good and balanced encounter. In fact I feel as though it is really impossible to predict exactly how a battle will go, how seriously your players will take a battle on a given day, etc

The best thing you can do to make encounters seem fair is just do what makes sense for the enemies and what they would be equipped with logically and highly encourage the players to scout, plan, and ALWAYS have an escape plan. Just keep reminding them of that in a non annoying way
>>
>>55420919
Also, keep as much as you can behind the curtain and if there were enemies hiding in a given spot that the players haven't discovered yet, or enemy wizard had a trump card ready and you feel like it might be too much just don't do it. Whatever the players don't know won't hurt them
>>
>>55419363
>I think the biggest problem is that exploration features for Fighters and Barbarians tend to be limited to jumping, and jumping sucks.

How do we address that part, since it's a big contributing factor to the ever scary "Caster Dominance TM"?

Are there thematic features we can give to classes like Fighter or Barbarian that give them options for problem solving, exploration, or social conflicts?

Heroic Actions? Non-magic Reality Bending (IE through sheer force of will)? Barbarians getting a "Command Respect" ability or Fighters receiving a "Tactical minded" bonus? I dunno, I"m just spitballing.
>>
>>55415800
>Yeah, you're right. I'm also allowing pretty much all the battlemaster maneuvers as standalone replacement actions (like grapple). People versed in armed combat should be able to all those things, Battlemaster can tack it on to an attack and get the bonus roll too.

Thinking about doing this in my campaign. Can anyone else chime in on how much that unbalances anything, if at all? I think it's stupid that an any level rogue or barbarian who spends all their time fighting in melee can't do those exact same maneuvers. It takes a lot more expertise and finesse to disarm or reposition someone than to grab them.
>>
How would you kill a Glabrezu with a rogue, a paladin, a monk, a fighter and a ranger?
>>
>>55421196
>demon
>paladin
What is there even to ask?
>>
>>55421196
>smite
>smite
>smite harder
>>
>>55420884
use Natural Crit on the Homebrewery
>>
File: with fire.gif (2MB, 449x309px) Image search: [Google]
with fire.gif
2MB, 449x309px
>>55421196
>purge
>purge
>purge harder
>>
>>55421196
>Stunning fist
>smite crits
>stunning fist
>smite crits
>victory
>>
>>55421196
>Stun lock
>Smite
>Smite harder!
>Depending on the fighter they can help with maneuvers
>Ranger focus any mooks along with fighter
>>
>>55421196
Have them take turns pleasuring it until it comes and falls asleep
>>
>>55421238
I did, when I try to save the pdf it goes to print and when I use my print to pdf addon it adds an extra blank page for some reason.
>>
>>55421354
The extra page isn't blank, but you can't see what's written on it until you wipe your ass with it.
>>
>>55421354
its because you had some formating left on the page/
>>
>>55419534
Grapple doesn't stop you from concentrating.
>>
File: IMG_0160.jpg (33KB, 180x204px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0160.jpg
33KB, 180x204px
>barbarian makes an Nature check
>"NAT 20 LMAO I KNOW WHAT IT IS"
>"Tell me the total on your roll"
>"Nat 20 what does it matter?"
>"Tell me the total, not the die result"
>"17"
>"Doesn't cut it."
>table proceeds to yell at me for "refusing to give out information"
>the DC was only 20
>we have a wizard that's proficient in nature checks
>they all refused to do anything until I gave them their ebin nat 20 results
This fucking meme needs to die
>>
>>55421468
He has a -3?
>>
>>55414740
>Fighter/barb the big dumb dumb
>Paladin the inevitable oath breaker
>The I-need-more-actions Ranger
>The Godlike giant dick Caster-man
>Fag

There you go
>>
>>55421468
Kill it the way my DM did, by yelling "Scat 20!" in response and tossing a closed ziploc bag of dogshit on the table
>>
>>55421468
>they all refused to do anything until I gave them their ebin nat 20 results
"Fine, guess that's where we'll end today's session."
>>
>>55421468
>17 from a 20
>Motherfucker has a -3 intelligence mod
How the fuck does he even talk? Unless he is cursed then that would make for sense
>>
>>55421517
Holy shit, this is insane but it just might work.
>>
>>55421468
Your fault for letting someone with 4 int to even function as a person.
>>
>>55421517
What would this accomplish besides making your players think you have a poop fetish?
>>
>>55421504
>Player made a character with equivalent intelligence

He deserves a treat
>>
is multiclassing op?
>>
>>55421517
I recommend using fake poo for this.
>>
>>55421616
Typically no. In fact, multiclassing can be detrimental if you don't plan it out correctly.
>>
File: Moaning Guy.png (101KB, 243x191px) Image search: [Google]
Moaning Guy.png
101KB, 243x191px
>>55421622
>Buying fake poo when you can make your own
>>
>>55421354
What addon do you use? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>55417321
From my personal experience with Neverwinter Nights, hopefully never? I would hope that if they make a game that runs with 5E rules, it would 1) Actually run with 5E rules and 2) Be good.
>>
>>55421436
Because you put \page at all. Leave that shit out unless you actually need another page.
>>
>>55421716
With the small resurgence of Crpgs and with pathfinder making kingmaker as a Crpg, we may very well see NWN3.

I too hope it is good and not shit.
>>
>>55421468
For some reason people don't fucking read the rules that natural twenties and ones only matter if its in combat.
>>
>>55421592
They never said "Nat 20!" again.

>>55421622
Yeah, this is just a better idea.
>>
>>55421625
Sounds good to me
>>
>>55421763
Your players are weird if they stopped doing something just because you threw a bag of poop on the table.
>>
Is a warlock necromancer really so disadvantaged versus a wizard necromancer? I just think warlock is a more interesting flavor for my character, and it's less work than wizard.
>>
>>55421795
They all met on/d/
>>
>>55421468
Maybe don't give him all the information but instead have something that hints or points to what he checking for? Just because he's retarded doesn't mean he hasn't picked things up throughout his life, he's just normally fucking stupid about it.
>>
>>55421795
Does fecal matter not constitute successful negative enforcement in your book?
>>
>>55421806
Then play a Warlock Necromancer. It's not so horrible that it shouldnt be played. It's just inferior at the highest level of play because the Wizard has a gorrillion extra spells and stuff to go along with it.

I would also argue that Warlocks make better liches because of that innately higher charisma
>>
>>55421806
A warlock necromancer isn't even a real necromancer. What kind of fucking necromancer doesn't have any skeletons or zombies?
>>
How come no one talks about Valor or Sword Bard when talking about Gishes?
>>
>>>55421828
That's what I was thinking.
>55421832
Wait, what? No skeletons? Did I miss something?
>>
>>55421823
If my DM threw a bag of shit on the table I would just consider him a fucking weirdo for having a bag of shit prepped and ready. Knowing the people I play with they'd take a pic of that shit and spread gossip about the DM's shit fetish around town
>>
>>55421845
Create Undead is a warlock spell. Enjoy making another skelebro every time you take a snack break.
>>
>>55421844
Because Lore Bard is a better gish than Valor Bard
>>
>>55421882
So the anon who said they don't get skeletons was confused?
>>
>>55421880
He has a dog and a scoop, he has to bag it anyway. It was definitely weird, but I don't think he's into it. Do you assume anyone who leaves a flaming bag of dogshit on someone's porch has a fetish for it?
>>
>>55421888
How?
>>
>>55421907
Warlocks get raise dead.. but that's all they get so they fall off at higher level. You could always go Warlock/Wizard combo for more spell slots. Just google Warlock/Wizard necro or some shit. Surely someone has already done the math and found out which is better and the pitfalls of each.
>>
>>55421922
I don't know many people who would keep a bag of dogshit under the table for that perfect opportunity to punish their players. If someone threw a bag of shit in front of me, my first thought would be "why is this fuck carrying poop around"?
>>
>>55421943
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>55421978
It was surprising but his purpose was pretty clear.
>>
>>55422022
So he was having the nat20 problem and this poop plan was his only idea that worked? Either he tried a lot of things on some really stubborn players or he is not very good at handling social conflicts.
>>
>>55421267
Stun doesn't give crits
>>
>>55422133
It doubles your chance for crits.
>>
>>55422106
Or he just really likes poop.
>>
>>55421267
>>55421270
>stunning a creature with a +9 to con saves with a DC 15 save at best
heh
>>
Since the PHB is relatively vague on this, what is the extent you can use spellcasting services for?
>>
How does the average Tittle react to an island sized dragon turtle?
>>
>>55422259
Anything as long as you can find someone who can cast the spells you want.
>>
Thread's getting close to death.
>>
>>55421820
8 it is "normally stupid" 4 is a barnyard animal at best
>>
>>55422304
You can make a new one anon, I believe in you
>>
>>55422288

Say I'm a wizard and am seeking out other wizards to copy their shit. Is that something I'd be able to do?
>>
>>55422329
Of course. It might get pretty expensive though.
>>
>>55422323
I've never done it before, I'm scared ;_;
>>
>>55422329
Yeah, if you can find a wiz with the stuff you want and who is willing to spend the time on you.
>>
Anyone who has ToA figure out what the "mines" marked on the map of Chult are for? I don't see any random encounters specific to mines.
>>
New thread
>>55422562
New thread
>>55422562
New thread
>>55422562
New thread
>>55422562
New thread
>>55422562
>>
>>55422265
How does an average human react to seeing a giant?
>>
>>55422586
"That's a big cunt."
>>
File: damn-thats-a-huge-bitch.jpg (60KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
damn-thats-a-huge-bitch.jpg
60KB, 250x250px
>>55422586
Thread posts: 410
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.