[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM red flags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 37

File: image.jpg (90KB, 472x388px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 472x388px
What are some red flags you see when playing with a new GM that immediately turn you away from the group?
>>
They don't actually play RPGs and just vomit up memes they saw on /tg/
>>
>Blatant favoritism
>DMPCs (NPCs are fine)
>Setting is "sandbox"
>Setting is Fantasy medieval England except everyone is furry.
>Pushes something onto players that they are clearly uncomfortable with.
Feel free to add on.
>>
>Thinks that players knowing the rules and building effective characters are bad things
>>
>>44922533
Gm red flags

>"you all will start at lv ( not 1)"
>all NPCs are rude or hostile for no reason
>has a dmpc
>mentions rape when describing the setting
>"any book is fine to use"
>"here is a PDF of my house rules"
>"cool, a kender"
> doesn't describe the setting
>"OK, a lg cleric, 2 vampires and a catgirl. Looks fine. Ready?"
>"you've been transported from FR, to a spaceship..."
>weighs more than 225 lbs
>has a neckbeard
>"my girl/boy friend will join us"
>"no, I don't use attack rolls. You all do though"
>runs a bunch of 1shots
>"I dunno, let me look that up..."
>mentions : anime, furries, trannys or WWE in any positive way
>"you wake up and all your equipment is gone"
For starters.
>>
>>44922579
>(NPCs are fine)
No shit.
>>
>>44922775
All of these are accurate except "not starting at level 1" and "mentions trans people in a positive light".
High-level campaigns are based on, you know, actually having high-level characters from the start, and they can turn out great.
And trans people are people too.

Everything else, though, pretty much on point.
>>
File: 126546311.png (268KB, 1950x1440px) Image search: [Google]
126546311.png
268KB, 1950x1440px
>>44922775
>>mentions : anime, furries, trannys or WWE in any positive way
There are some cool animes though
>>
>>44922835
If a PC can't make it at lv 1, they don't deserve to be higher levels.

IMO.
>>
>>44922775
If you're not running for brand new players, why the fuck would you start at level 1? So you can use the same goblins and zombies everyone's seen a million times?
>>
Dm's that go from unrelated adventure to the next unrelated adventure.

I hate that shit.

Tie it together dammit.
>>
>>44922533

I just got a bunch of my friends into tabletop games. One of them expressed interest about running a game himself, talking about what he'd do. He went through a checklist of newbie GM tropes, like heavy railroading and shallow worldbuilding.

But then he said something along the lines of "and if any of the characters bug me I can just make them get ebola and die"

I forget saying this, but my other friend told me I apparently responded with "I don't think you should be running any games then"
>>
>>44922877
Eh, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if your campaign is built on highly capable/well established adventurers going out to do high level things, it's a long slog from level 1 to get to the meat of the campaign.
>>
>>44922775
Starting above level 1 is fine, not banning any books is fine, houserules are fine, and so long as the cleric, vampires, and catgirl could conceivably work in as a party in the setting allowing it isn't a bad thing. Most importantly checking the rules mid-game isn't a fucking sin.

The others are fair game, but these seem much more like "I don't like these things" than "these things are genuinely problems".
>>
>>44922877
If it's your second of third campaign with the same group you already know they can make it as level ones.

Might as well skip them up to level three and make things interesting.
>>
File: 1438572228349.jpg (63KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
1438572228349.jpg
63KB, 680x453px
>crit fumbles
>>
>>44922893
>the same zombies
>implying there are only a few low lv critters
>implying dm's can't into originality
>>
File: 1452492150827.jpg (262KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1452492150827.jpg
262KB, 1080x1440px
>>44922877
But starting a higher level than one implies they were worthy.
>>
>>44922919
I have to disagree with the "Any book" topic. I'll allow a very large variety of books, certainly, but not all books.
>>
>>44922877
I've always found starting low and becoming a demigod retarded. You are a full grown adult, you have a career and shit and yet over a relatively short period of time you go from nothing to demigod. It is like some 23 year old guy who played football in high school practicing more and eventually ending up as the best player in his position in the NFL.
>>
>>44922941
Yes!

>ohhhhh u got a 1!!! You cut yourself in half!!! Haha hahaaaaa

Fuck.
That.
Shit.
>>
>>44922927
If they're clever and experienced, gaining a few levels shouldn't be a problem...
>>
>>44922979

Yeah, it's a D&D conceit that's propagated out into scads of other RPGs, and it's not one I care for.
For a welcome change, check out Traveller. The Classic rules didn't even have a way to advance after you left chargen. You were a full-grown man who had already spent his youth becoming a badass, and now that you've left whatever service you were in, all that's left is to stave off the end as long as possible.
>>
>>44922984
>hahaha! A 1 for diplomacy?
>the shop keeper attacks!!!!

>A 1 for knowledge check? Hahaha you turn into forest bump!
>>
>>44922533

Nothing annoys me more than the GM who can't decide what fucking game he wants to run. I rolled up a guy for the game this Friday, he tells me Thursday he wants to run something different, I need to roll up a new guy. I do, we play, then on Saturday, he tells me he wants to do a different game the next week. Repeat.
>>
>>44923143
Sounds like you should GM and, when out of ideas, let him run a one shot.
>>
File: Pow.jpg (158KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Pow.jpg
158KB, 736x1104px
>Arrive at GMs place
>Everyone's in a fursuit with various bad dragon dildos added on to them
>"Don't worry anon, we have an extra for you!" He says, pulling out the neon pink suit as you ponder the end of days
>>
>>44922579
This was always an odd one for me. I played a game with some friends once, and they really pushed me to make a DMPC, and didn't understand why I was so skittish about the idea.
>>
>>44923294
you boned right?
>>
>>44922877
Going from level 1 to level relevant takes time that could be used better elsewhere. I've seen too many campaigns end because someone tried for something too epic, and then the group lost the war of attrition with real life.
>>
>>44923294
wow, how ungrateful
>>
>>44923294

I haven't had sex in over a decade, I would probably stick my dick in something before I left.
>>
>>44922984
>>44923044

Never played BRP, have you, you pussies.
>>
>>44923294

GM sounds like a nice guy-not only did he cover for you after you arrived unprepared, he even saved the pink one for you.
>>
>>44922579
>>Setting is Fantasy medieval England except everyone is furry.

Would it be better if it was Fantasy medieval Germany instead?
>>
>>44923041
You could also die in the middle of character generation, so there's that.
>>
>>44922533
>Referring to an NPC's race as "neko" with a straight face
>Making players roll to avoid doing something they weren't even thinking about doing and should be trivial to avoid
>Has to make comparisons to anime in order to describe anything
>>
>>44923466
What does "neko" mean?
>>
>>44923508
It's where your heado meets your shoulderso.
>>
>>44923508
its nip for cat.

in this case its a human with cat ears and tail.
>>
>>44922611
Red flags for That Guy
>thinks there's such thing as an effective character
>thinks there's such thing as an ineffective character
>thinks RPGs are a competition against the GM
>thinks the GM wants the PCs to "lose"
>thinks it's possible to "lose"
>thinks calling stormwind fallacy wins argument against anti-rollplayers
>>
>>44923520
Oh, now that you mention it I have heard that before (not in tabletop fortunately).

Though having catfolk NPCs is a minor red flag anyway if it's a new GM, no matter what you call them. It can work out fine but it seems like it could easily go wrong.
>>
File: 132840290798.png (22KB, 651x687px) Image search: [Google]
132840290798.png
22KB, 651x687px
>>44923519

*rimshot*
>>
>>44922857

Yes, but cool anime should be quietly mined for ideas to be converted, not blatantly inserted.
>>
>>44923041

It's funny how many of the issues we see here could be solved by not playing DnD, huh?
>>
>>44923535
That DM detected.
>>
>>44923606
Better than playing with the hipster who complains about D&D in every fucking thread.
>>
>>44923422
>Never played BRP, have you, you pussies.

Well duh, rolling a 1 in BRP is the best result you can hope for.

That's like saying someone is bad at Uno because they have a lot of business cards in their wallet.
>>
>>44923573
Indeed, but that doesn't mean that it can't be mentioned in an OOC discussion that doesn't concern the game. When I'm not playing, during the week, I am still in contact and sometime I chat with the other players: thanks to them I watched Jojo, Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist, which are all pretty good animes all things considered.

And my latest characters are not ripoffs of main characters of any anime whatsoever either way: I just dislike when people bash something without any cause. For example: bash Sword art online however much you want, because it's a shit anime... but it doesn't mean that all japanese cartoons are shit like that.
>>
>>44923535
>Forgets that a roleplaying game is still a game
>Thinks calling people who are good at the game "rollplayers" is clever
>Gets butthurt that people have called him out on committing a logical fallacy, keeps committing it
>>
>>44923626
I'm That DM because I go out of my way to make every player feel important and impactful?

Because I try to get players more involved than "attack, loot, attack, loot, did I level yet?"

Because I encourage engaging stories over stat/build-whoring?

Because I don't confuse ttrpgs with vidya games?

2/10 mildly believable bait but still kill yourself
>>
>>44923656
I'm talking about crit failures/fumbles.
>>
File: n4gpdeuDDn1rofoqgo1_250.gif (891KB, 230x173px) Image search: [Google]
n4gpdeuDDn1rofoqgo1_250.gif
891KB, 230x173px
>>44922775

Word, brother. Things were much better when they called it WWF.
>>
>>44923018
For my group, it's a matter of how much time we all have to play together. Playing once a week for maybe 4 hours if we are lucky with some sessions having lighter fighting when doing storytime stuff my friends would get bored having to go level one all the time, level three and five are fine starting points imo as long as everyone knows what they are doing. After that it's just my job to make sure I send the right strength of enemies at them.
>>
>>44923763
>thinks that dispatching monsters that the GM intends for you to kill is "good at the game"

Holy fucking shit. Did you brag about beating n64 games using game shark cheats? How fucking stupid can you be?

>conflates Muh Fallacy with the obvious real problem
>won't face reality

I sure am glad I never have to deal with you at my table
>>
>approves X-card usage
>is a social studies major
>browses tumblr
>runs medieval fantasy setting with overblown progressive shit
>>
>>44923818
Anon, you can optimize your character without being a murderhobo.
>>
>>44923438
of course it would. Warhhamemr Fantasy is awesome.
>>
>>44923819
>approves X-card usage

I've always preferred the TIE-cards myself
>>
>>44923877
Even if everyone's a furry?

>Beasts of Chaos

Never mind, then.
>>
File: 1451363528929.jpg (71KB, 356x264px) Image search: [Google]
1451363528929.jpg
71KB, 356x264px
>>44923519
>>
>>44922533
I hadn't had much experience with questionable DMs until just recently when our group had a temporary replacement. Our group usually takes a slower pace, planning, resting after hard fought battles, investigating the different angles thoroughly. This guy actively tried to kill the party and railroaded us from one dangerous encounter to the next without so much as enough time to mention carrying a torch. I didn't mind the added hostility as much as I did being forced to shuffle past all the non-combat stuff. In his defense, he was under prepared, but I'll be keeping a closer eye on DMs in the future.
>>
File: biker-scout-TIE-pilot-surfing.jpg (22KB, 400x239px) Image search: [Google]
biker-scout-TIE-pilot-surfing.jpg
22KB, 400x239px
>>44923885

>I identify as an Imperial
>>
>>44923851
>optimize

The fact that you spent any time whatsoever trying to figure out the optimal pile of numbers for your dice-elemental shows you clearly think the game is about making sure you're able to beat what the big bad GM puts in front of you.

I'm sorry that you've been stuck with useless GMs all your life, but the "optimal" (since you seem to be infatuated with optimizing) rpg experience is one where the GM wants everyone to "succeed" and take part in building a story

Any non-shit GM will make sure you're not in a must-fight situation against a can't-beat enemy
>>
My brother and his friends would play "DnD" quite a bit. Always made tons of noise and sounded super fun. I always wanted to play so I thought Id give it a try.

>pour over rule books they have
>figure Ill just roll a fighter since its my first time
>"were using skyrim skills, pick w/e you want"
>thisdosentsound/tg/atall.mp4
>shitty kingdom hearts dream "pick your path" bullshit
>wind up with insanely high str, chr, int, above avg everything else. born to middle-class merchant
>decide to go to capital city, learn some magicks and blade
>"You see a large group of dudes with curved swords, what do you wanna do?"
>Im gonna fuck right off seeing as though you only wanted to give me the clothes on my backand 100g in a world where EVERYTHING is 100g
>"you sure?"
>yep
>get to "mages guild": "get us alteration for dummies from ancient library"
>roll to call bullshit
>"his chr is higher than yours, you cant"
>Im rolling int
>lolnope hes super human
>go to spell book merchant
>"lol dat buk iz the rarest of pepes, 500g"
>roll int + chr to haggle/intimidate/etc.
>lol nope
>"roll str to punch him in his faggot face"
>"lol hes a xaolin monk"
>/quit
>"I was trying to guide you along the story but you just wouldnt go with it"
>Tell my brother hes the worst DM ever in the history of ever in front of his friends.
>they havent played since

all in all, its like I lost my virginity to a black dude at a house party.
>>
File: 1397254981879.jpg (27KB, 408x295px) Image search: [Google]
1397254981879.jpg
27KB, 408x295px
>"I am a merciless GM and i kill characters."
>"I only play sandbox! Railroading sux!"
>"I will play a character in my game too."
>"I allow everything in my games!"
>Low fantasy DnD.
>Grimdark and edgy description of setting.
>Watches all animes that come out in every season.
>Brings girlfriend/boyfriend.
>"This is a medieval setting with Elves."
>Is animu/hentai/furries/faggotry religion.
>Listens to pop music.
>"I have this setting inspired by [that] series!"
>Begins system description with custom rules.
>"You will begin with [that] handicap because game is too unbalanced!"
>"I have house rules for natural critical failures."
>"I care only for the roleplaying part!"
>Confuses minmaxing with optimization.
>Is late on first session for no serious reason.
>Postpones the first session at least twice.
>Doesn't know basic rules.
>"I have only played DnD/WoD/CoC!"
>"We are playing modern with DnD rules."
>"Time travel campaign!"
>First NPC female barbarian/amazon/DMPC/berserker/similar.
>Scythe is an actual weapon. And a gun.
>Fake cat ears.
>"Yes, everything is fine with your character!" followed by a mean look.
>Does not pay attention to you when you are talking to him.
>Believes he knows better than anyone making the system, although have only played DnD.
>Female GM with no proven license.
>More than 5 players.
>"I don't like that rule so we are not using it." without explanation.
>"I am a feminist."
>Mentions (human)race/gender/sexuality more than once per character.
>"I am a [job], so i know better!"
>Interrupts you continually.
>Cannot speak without shouting, asks you to be quiet.
>Cannot focus on the matter at hand (usually char gen).
>Does not know how to guide you through making a character.
And the list goes on and on...
>>
File: RobinHoodLaugh.gif (1MB, 296x160px) Image search: [Google]
RobinHoodLaugh.gif
1MB, 296x160px
>>44922533
>The DM at any point brags about killing players.
>>
>>44924034
Theres nothing wrong with handicaps and house rules, just see it as an extra challenge to overcome as part of winning
>>
>>44924091
I actually like both handicaps and house rules, but it is a red flag when a GM mentions them before any other rules, because it shows a selfish/smug guy.
>>
>>44924237
It could be.

It depends on the context, as with nearly everything in this entire thread, if everyone else is agreeable to the homebrew rules, for example, then I wouldn't say so.

it could be seen as not wanting to waste your time by mentioning it upfront, so you can decide then if you wish to play with the house rules or not
>>
File: HET!.png (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
HET!.png
61KB, 640x480px
>>44923976
I don't expect to be put in a must-fight situation against a can't-beat enemy.

I also don't expect a 100% chance of victory for every encounter or merely a slap on the wrist if the dice don't go my way when the chips are down.

If I can put thought into my skills and raise my character's chance for survival in a scrap (or raise their chance to not piss off the king if I'm a diplomancer, or raise the rest of the party's chance for survival if I'm a cleric, etc.) why is it a bad thing?
>>
>>44924338
>slowly retracting stance to a more moderate position

>diplomancer
If we can get you to stop the vidya-fication of ttrpg with terms like this then we're well on our way to a reasonable player
>>
>>44924338
>diplomancer

Kill yourself.
>>
>>44924485
Anon, I'm a different guy than the one you originally argued with, the first post I made regarding this argument was >>44923851

And I didn't know diplomancer was such a hated term on /tg/, I usually just lurk without posting.
>>
>>44923976
Your take on GMing is so condescending and ill informed I seriously hope it's just bait. No well adjusted likes a tension free game where they get coddled like a social science major. Having a game where everyone 'succeeds' just insults your players.

Also, bonus points for assuming the only thing anyone optimises for is combat and never investigation, crafting or skill use. That alone says a lot about the quality of games you (pretend to, for the purpose of bait,) run.
>>
>>44923976
Dude, people optimize themselves in real life. Career focused people go insane to optimize their earning potential.

Players playing people who get in fights for a living would obviously try to optimize their fighting ability.

It can go too far, no shit. But character optimization can be good role playing.
>>
>>44924610
>>44923976

Well at the end of the day guys, the GM's job is to make sure everyone is having a good time, different players might have different ideas of this and he'll have to adjust accordingly.

The current campaign I'm in is kind-of hilarious because the entire party is essentially glass cannons, we're one shotting everything but we can't take hits either for the most part, it's gone full rocket tag where we hope our AC is good, the enemy rolls shit, and we roll a good init, because otherwise we're in a world of hurt.

also I nearly insta-killed myself the last time I used rage because ohdear temporary hitpoints.
>>
>>44924610
>assuming assumptions
>he didn't mention skills and crafting explicitly so he must not be including them

Also, why would you assume that I make the game "easy" or that I coddle my players? There's a wide range between "lol dragons beholders traps ur ded" and "everything is happy and nothing bad can happen yay you win".

Just because the players aren't going to get fucked doesn't mean you can't make them feel tension and danger.
>>
>>44922533
Dream sequence
>>
>>44923976

I bet this guy's (imaginary) players troll him with 'minmaxxing' purely to get some enjoyment out of the session other than that kind of dark satirical feeling you get while watching someone fellate themselves.
>>
File: 66497.jpg (38KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
66497.jpg
38KB, 200x285px
>>44922984
I don't take it this far, but I do like to add a sense of heroism to nat 20's or a sense of extreme failure to nat 1.

So if, for example, a character was trying to climb a cliffside and then they rolled a 1, I might have them roll for a small damage penalty that might make their next attempt more difficult, whereas a 2-x would have just been a failure to climb. That said, if they rolled a 20, they might climb with extreme efficiency or speed granting them an additional action that turn or something of the sort.

I find that it's exciting when players do something heroic, especially at low levels.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but do you consider what I described above to be unreasonable?
>>
>>44923569
You probably mean "ba-dumm tsss"
A rimshot sounds nothing like "ba-dum tsss"
A rimshot sounds like "tak"
>>
File: killingself.jpg (425KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
killingself.jpg
425KB, 960x600px
>>44925375

Really? I'd heard the "ba-dum tsss" referred to as a rimshot. Serves me right for never learning jack shit about music, then.
>>
>>44924818
Exactly, it's the GM's responsibility to make sure EVERYONE is having fun. If the min/maxer's half air elemental high elf with 4 different prestige classes from third party splatbooks is decimating enemies before the other players can get an attack in he is the only one having fun during combat. There needs to be a middle ground.
>>
>>44925422
Yeah, lots of people get that wrong so it isn't your fault. A rimshot is hitting the rim of a drum with the stick, hence the term.
>>
>>44925422
>>44925488
Did some googling and apparently it's called a sting.
>>
>>44922579
What you got against Redwall?
>>
>>44925658

Nothing much, but they really start to feel "samey" after the few couple books.
>>
>>44922775
What if I say that NXT is passable and I wish WWE was as good as it used to be? What if I compliment other promotions, like Lucha Underground, AAA, NJPW, etc.?
>>
File: 15087010[1].jpg (31KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
15087010[1].jpg
31KB, 300x450px
>>44923294
>a bit weirded out
>but pink is my favorite color
>the gm must have known, specifically saving the pink dragon dildo to make me feel welcome
>fuck it
>spend the evening with an accommodating and friendly group of furries with a pink dragon dildo strapped around my waist

everything went better than expected
>>
File: tumblr_miozgeesGc1rs1jxjo1_500.jpg (84KB, 500x745px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_miozgeesGc1rs1jxjo1_500.jpg
84KB, 500x745px
>>44923573
>cool anime
How about something with some actual substance behind it? Red flag: DM would rather draw references from "cool anime" than Homer, Milton, Shenkkan, Fellini, or von Triers (any one of whom have plumbed the depths of the human experience in more detail than all the "cool anime" combined).
>>
>>44923573
>cool
>anime
Pick one.
>>
>>44926364
>implying the Iliad isn't the dankest anime
>>
>>44926364
>Red flag: DM would rather draw references from "cool anime" than Homer, Milton, Shenkkan, Fellini, or von Triers (any one of whom have plumbed the depths of the human experience in more detail than all the "cool anime" combined).

Red Flag: Everything you just said
>>
>>44926364
Didn't Milton die from fag-flu?
>>
>>44922984
when done right it is fucking hilarious

>knowledge check 1
>we ended up half a session looking for werepinecones instead of the actual enemy
>>
>He's obese
>>
>>44923410
if having sex does that to your criteria I rather stay a virgin
>>
>>44925658
Not red wall. More like "sodomy: the campaign"
>>
>>44922533
>Brings unwarranted controversial topics up in OOC
>Bonus: Plot revolves around unwarranted controversial topics

No, I don't want to go on a quest to save the majestic transexual princex/destroy the transexual menace
>>
>>44926725
>Destroy the transexual pests
FTFY
In all honesty the people who spout their sexuality within thirty seconds of meeting them are just as (if not more) annoying that vegans and cross-fit people.
>>
>>44926364
>the fedora reading is off the charts!
>>
>>44923819
Depends on how you define "overblown progressive shit"

I played in a setting once where homosexuality was accepted, but that resulted in the evil gay king having a harem of mostly straight male concubines who were basically sex slaves.

Similarly, a different setting explicitly had infinitely-lasting gender transformation potions, but they were often used to disguise kidnap victims and the like.
>>
>>44926767
At least cross-fit and vegans don't get angry at you for not accepting their mental issues as "who they are".
>>
File: 1396715195119.gif (865KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1396715195119.gif
865KB, 480x270px
>>44926767
And the people that constantly drone on and on about it or the people that make a big deal of it when someone does mention that they are transsexual are just as annoying as the people they mock

Spare me the people who don't shut up about what's going on in their pants or what's going on in the pants of others

That means you, you thread derailing fuckboi
>>
>>44924019
>>"hey DM, I dunno if I am a male or female "
>>DM" oh? You mean your elf character? "
>> " no silly goose, my elf character is male. I don't know if I am male or female ".
>>"That's fine. Would you prefer we used gender neutral pronouns for you? We can talk about it in depth after the game if you want."
>>"Cool, thanks."

Solved.
>>
>>44925708
Unless you are doing a wrestling focused game, this shouldn't be part of your first impression as a DM to your new player(s).

If it comes up outside gametime, then no problem. During gametime showing intense devotion to something that has nothing to do with the game and the others don't care about will be offputting to them.
>>
>>44922775
I don't agree, not that saying start at 1st level is a red flag, the level at which you start means nothing, some times people want to play farmer boy who becomes leader of the rebellion, sometimes you want to play veteran hero trying to bring peace, once again, to this god firbidden land.
>>"any book is fine to use"
I also don't agree, most often than not bad games I've been were core only (not exclusively D&D btw)
>>weighs more than 225 lbs
The best GM I eve had weighed more than that...he was also 6'9" though
>>mentions: anime in a positive way
Yeah, like mentioning books in a positive way, right?

Tell the truth, this was a subtle bait, wasn't it?
>>
>>44927030
Sorry. Someone too fucking stupid to know if they are a male or female... Isn't welcome.
It can fuck right off, and not return.
If they don't know that basic fact, they can't grasp the rules of the game.
>>
>>44922984
Been there
>PC rolls nat1
>Hilarious over the top shit happens
>Ok, first couple of times is funny, then stops being funny rather quickly, specially when a PC beheaded another PC
>Monsters never ever seem to roll nat1s because hilarious over the top shit never happened to them

After 5 sessions we decided to leave
>>
>I prefer smooth peanut butter
>>
>>44927256
It's not stupidity. It's a dissatisfaction with modern binary gender. The best GM I've ever met is genderfluid. It's no big deal, and no one at the table thinks it's a big deal. We've all been the target of pricks and jerks at one point or another, and there's no need to become one and continue the cycle. Just pick up some dice and enjoy each other's company.
>>
Letting players use monsters as pc classes.
Keep your wits about you with these types
>>
>>44924034
are you that much of a fucking asshole as to consider woman not able to do anything?
I'm not a feminist by a long shot but fuck if you arent either socially retarded or plain stupid, then you have issues you need to work out
>>
>>44927011
You're the one who derailed this fucking thread in the first place over your case of "I feel like a woman today even though I'm not. I'm going to push this on as many people as possible because I can't keep my mouth shut".
>>
>>44927030
So I should accommodate someone with a clear mental illness instead of throwing them out of the game and solving all future problems right then and there?

Here's my thoughts on the issue:
>You have a dick? You're a dude and I don't care what kind of backwards logic makes you think you're not. The deer will still be a deer even if it thinks it's a horse with all of its willpower.
>>
>>44927413
>"With modern binary gender"
>The two genders of male and female have been that way for all of recorded and unrecorded human history
>"It's just a modern construct"
>If I put a coat of pint on a twenty million year old rock does that make it a "modern construct"?
>>
>>44922533
After reading this thread
>"I browse /tg/!"
>>
File: 1422604816635.jpg (68KB, 416x487px) Image search: [Google]
1422604816635.jpg
68KB, 416x487px
>>44927198
>subtle
>>
>>44927722
This to be quit honest family
>>
Actual cackling.

>"He hits you for 34 damage!"
>"Oh shit, that means I'm unconscious and dying."
>"Fahahahaha!"

Seen this from two separate GMs. It's actually disturbing. Not only is it DM-versus-PCs, they derive some sadistic pleasure from it.
>>
File: skub.png (24KB, 446x301px) Image search: [Google]
skub.png
24KB, 446x301px
>>44927399
This whole fucking thread, and its father.
>>
Gosh, its almost like people have different tastes.
>>
>>44927722
I wouldn't play with me. I'm continually astounding that I am allowed to the table each week.
>>
>>44927011
What about when someone does mention that they believe it's a mental illness that shouldn't be enabled?
>>
>>44923819
>runs medieval fantasy setting with overblown progressive shit
>fantasy
w-why isnt his made up world not just like the real one!!!!!!!
>>
>>44927413
Yes it is.
Blatant, full-out, epic level stupidity.

You can't sugar coat it anon.
>>
>>44922579
>Setting is "sandbox"
Railroad fags please go
>>
>>44923984
>all in all, its like I lost my virginity to a black dude at a house party.
Kek. But remember, you're a survivor, not a victim. Tell your story so others will learn from it.
>>
>>44928290
No plot fags pls go
>>
>>44923466
Rolling to avoid a surprise is a bad experience? Wow okay.
>>
>>44928355
Railroading and overarching plots are different things.
>>
>>44927576

I think you might be suffering from some sort of mental illness, because I read this whole stupid thread and that's not remotely what happened.

>>44927660
>The two genders of male and female have been that way for all of recorded and unrecorded human history

From what I gather, the argument is that sex is biologically determined - you got a weenie or a hoo-hoo, and that's generally it outside of some weird biological hiccups -- but gender, on the other hand, is to some significant degree a cultural thing and it's highly variable.
What's masculine in one place and time is often feminine in another, and vice versa, and worse, most people don't usually fit neatly into one box or another, and maybe we shouldn't pressure people to pick a particular interpretation of masculine or feminine and be that as hard as they can or something. Which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Inventing new pronouns is still retarded, thisough.
>>
>>44927030
Why would I want to help delve into someone's psyche to help them figure out how they identify their own gender. I'm not a fucking psychologist, I'm not qualified to give advice on such a matter. Plus I have better things to do. Why wouldn't the person in question just...You know, try to figure that huge life changing question out, before committing to interacting with a group of people for an extended period of time.
>>
>>44927660
>doesn't know that pink was a man's colour
>doesn't know that high heels were invented for men
>doesn't know dresses were first worn by men
>>
>>44926919
Have you...Spoken to most vegan/cross-fit people? What you've described is a thing they do.
>>
>>44928418
>hurr durr gender =/= sex
Fuck off back to tumblr with your pseudoscience bullshit.
>>
>>44922533
>constantly pushing you onto tracks
>tries to be overly cinematic
>is noticeable uncomfortable when players do anything remotely out of the box
>his gf is in the group and she doesn't really seem to know what she's doing
>>
>>44928418
Gender and sex are exactly the same thing. Male and female are genders and they've been that way for all of recorded history.
>>
>>44922775
>runs a bunch of 1shots
Best DM I ever had did these. He was a busy guy that had a billion ideas and loved mid level gameplay.
>>
>>44928476
Well those men suddenly didn't decide they were women and started cross dressing and sucking dick for pleasure.
>>
>>44928476
>>44928476
completely irrelevant
>>
>>44928418
I enjoy the odd pedicure from time to time, which is usually considered a feminine activity. Not once have I even considered that I am the opposite gender.
>>
>>44928601
kek
>>
>>44928262
Then whatever, that's your opinion
But it has nothing to do with the gnoll brigade that's about to raid the village where your PCs are sleeping so why the fuck are you bringing it up?

Just imagine being a DM in that situation;
You had this great night of dungeon spelunking and adventure planned out for your players when, out of the fucking blue, one of them starts talking about how abortion is murder or some other irrelevant shit that has nothing to do with anything going on in the game
Then imagine another player takes offense and starts arguing with that player, eventually the entire session gets derailed because some asshole couldn't keep their opinions to themselves

You might as well be that asshole that won't shut up about some video game or anime or some other irrelevant shit at the table
>>
>>44928617
That's fine anon.
Getting your nails done, doesn't change your gender.

It does make you a faggot tho.
>>
>>44923535
>thinks RPGs are a competition against the GM
Nothing, absolutely nothing is worse than this. Played with a fedora wearing faggot that would gloat after combat about how he kicked "my ass". Also berated those in the group that didn't minmax; god forbid someone chose a non-ideal spell or feat.
>>
>ignores religion in DnD

The best campaigns I have ever been apart of have had fascinating faith systems. My players tell me that the best campaign I ever ran was one that was completely based around religion with a majority of NPCs being incredibly devout and religion entering its way into every aspect of society from fashion, politics, culture, architecture, and even language. Not saying that religion needs to be a major focus, but if it's a fantasy game and you're ignoring it, there better be a darn good reason.
>>
>>44922775
>>mentions rape when describing the setting

what's wrong with this one?
>>
>>44928793
I imagine the red flag would be context relevant.
>>
>>44928650
No manicures though that's fucking gay.
>>
>Lets you get away with stupid shit one session but becomes a realist by next session, meaning that the feel of the game is entirely inconsistent
>>
>>44928369
No, I meant like rolling to avoid hitting yourself or rolling to avoid not calling the shopkeeper a whore

Denying player agency type things
>>
>>44924631
So you're saying just because SOME people in the real world are bards, and SOME people in the real world optimize it means we all gotta play the same character ?
>>
>>44929043
And if they're trans and don't shoehorn sexuality and gender into everything, then what?
>>
File: PancakesPancakesPancakes.jpg (238KB, 816x1356px) Image search: [Google]
PancakesPancakesPancakes.jpg
238KB, 816x1356px
>>44930180

That's not possible, they're just like pancakefags with their pancakes their pancakes their pancakes!
>>
>d20
>>
>"low-magic campaign"
>>
>Fighters are overpowered so I nerfed them.
>>
>>44924034
>Low fantasy DnD.
I get that DnD is high fantasy, so other systems are more natural for low fantasy but other than that there's no real problem with it. It isn't like it's a huge stretch.
>"This is a medieval setting with Elves."
>muh hate elves
>Listens to pop music.
What. How is this related to /tg/? Unless they're playing it during the session.
>"I have this setting inspired by [that] series!"
People take inspirations from things all the time and if you like the idea and haven't heard of the source, you've got something new to enjoy.
>Begins system description with custom rules.
What, rather than explaining at the end?
>"You will begin with [that] handicap because game is too unbalanced!"
>only playing games when you can choose something with an obvious advantage
>"I have house rules for natural critical failures."
As long as they're not 'hurdur you kill yourself' this can be fun. House rules could also be to make them less frequent (e.g., fumble denial roll) so you're not constantly breaking your weapons because you have bad luck.
>"I care only for the roleplaying part!"
You're playing a tabletop roleplaying game. The key word is roleplaying.
>"Time travel campaign!"
While it has a lot of potential to go badly, this could be fun. Like LOS MAGIOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOO
>Scythe is an actual weapon. And a gun.
>muh farm tool
while I'd probably call the user an edgelord, the scythe has cool connotations (like being the tool used by Death) and may portray a skill beyond the need for a practical weapon.
>and a gun.
RWBY is not /tg/
>GM licenses since when
>More than 5 players.
Can work, I was in a campaign with 7 or so players and that was a blast.
>"I don't like that rule so we are not using it." without explanation.
They don't like it. They're the GM. That's the explanation.
>>
>>44927030
Sorry, but that would be a reasonable and mature thing to do. Can't have that.
>>
>>44930750
>GM licenses since when
Even those with them are boring as fuck
>muh living greyhawk
More like my snoozing shithawk. Jesus christ what a boring, generic, and banal setting.
>>
>>44926421
ok... what the fuck is von Triers doing on that list?
>>
When they have no creativity whatsoever and just rip the setting and plot directly from fairy tales.
>>
>>44922533
No matter what I do the story stays exactly on his rails.

I can't even use the books because he changes everything so that it only follows his exact story.
>>
>>44922979
This
>>
>>44928601
Tell that to the Greeks and Romans
>>
File: Polish_scythemen_1863.png (487KB, 610x729px) Image search: [Google]
Polish_scythemen_1863.png
487KB, 610x729px
>>44924034
>scythes are an actual weapon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe
>>
>>44928420
>Why wouldn't the person in question just...You know, try to figure that huge life changing question out, before committing to interacting with a group of people for an extended period of time.

Because it's a huge, life changing question. Most folks don't barricade themselves in isolation while sorting out what career they want (unless they're in med school). It's a process, one that might not have a clear cut answer, that might take years or decades to complete.

Also, if I'm gaming with them, I assume they're my friend. If they're a friend, I would be more than happy to discuss what troubles them. We don't need to be psychologists to help our friends; we just need to listen and be supportive.
>>
I am just starting to GM a game after playing a few campaigns (also completely doing one campaign level 1-30) and I was wondering how sinful it is to make the monsters have moves that allow them to do things like make multiple attacks on adjacent targets when PCs have combat advantage on them or having encounters that require using certain items or rituals to kill a boss.

I also really hate low level encounters so far because I tried giving the monsters some better/unique moves and it nearly killed some people.
>>
>>44932403
KURWAAAAAAA
>>
Man, you guys are really triggered by this mention of transgendered people. Sounds like a personal problem you should work on.

People ask you to call them by a certain name, right? It's not like you refuse to recognize people's given or chosen names, instead calling them what you think they look like, right? Like, a guy says his name is Gary, are you gonna call him Steven?
How is a pronoun any different? It's a manner of address, and usually doesn't come up when you're talking to someone anyway.
Someone wants to be called something other than what you initially thought. You gonna tell them they're wrong?
>>
>>44922775
Crybabies. All munchkins nowadays are crybabies. It's good though that they show themselves so easily and openly. Helps me weed them out preemptively for my WoD campaigns.
>>
>>44922949
>originality
>any D&D that is not Advanced or 5e

Heh. Nice one.
>>
>Don't consistently communicate with the group and ensure the game runs on a tight schedule

Every game I've ever seen fade into the ethers occurs because the GM doesn't bother actually taking on the organizational responsibilities of being a GM.
>>
File: you seem upset.png (443KB, 370x498px) Image search: [Google]
you seem upset.png
443KB, 370x498px
>>44924069
>AD&D game
>DM spends every other sentence hyping up how TOTALLY LETHAL THIS GAME IS ANYONE CAN DIE
>gets mad when we all roll up murderhobos
>>
File: 1448351224971.jpg (73KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448351224971.jpg
73KB, 540x360px
>>44933650
>running D&D B/X game
>spend a shitload of time warning my players about how lethal the game is and how anyone can die
>everyone rolls up special snowflake characters
>players invest themselves tremendously in their characters, despite being cliche
>i don't want to kill them

help
>>
>>44933650

I think every DM should except their players to utterly break any encounter they make,
>>
>>44933713
>>44933715
One thing I personally did that pissed him off was probing lots of stuff with a 10-foot pole all day 'erry day. Poke corpses, poke doors, poke barrels, poke everything.

I was probably the only person in that group that knew anything about pre-3.x D&D.
>>
>>44933773
But man, wandering monsters are pretty common, so you can't be poking fucking everything unless you bar the doors or something, and even that can bring some suspicion
>>
>>44922533
inability to get the more autistic players at the table to shut up and listen

spouts memes
>>
>>44933801
It was more like poking everything of interest. I poked several corpses, two doors (one of which activated a trap and saved PC lives), a barrel (which was full of rats, so another good idea), and a pot of evil stew.
>>
>>44922909
having this problem with my current campaign. worst game i've ever been in.
>>
>>44922984
"I want to threaten the mercenary into giving us information"
"Okay roll Intimidation"
> 20
"He pisses himself and runs away. What do you mean you were grappling him? People can leverage a lot more strength when they are scared, Anon."
"No you can't shoot him either, he's disappeared into the woods by now"
later
"You finally locate their camp but it looks abandoned - seems like that mercenary that Anon let go came back to warn them.
>>
File: 1392946533655.gif (580KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1392946533655.gif
580KB, 480x360px
>>44933570
As both a GM and a player I fucking hate this. Not what you're bitching about, but entitled players that think that everything is the GM's responsibility.

GMing is it's own reward, sure. But you're involved in a social gathering with several other people and one of them already volunteers to put forth more effort into it than the rest and you're bitching about them having to put forth even more?

They spend hours upon hours creating content for you and the other players and you can't be bothered to send out a fucking mass text message to the group for the time? Go fuck yourself, you don't deserve a game if you can't give a rats ass about playing it.
>>
>>44926389
I'll pick Cowboy Bebop thanks
>>
File: because clearly you don't.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
because clearly you don't.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>44926389
>Complaining about anime on 4chan
>>
>>44933851
That's the thing, you can only poke so many things and you have to think it twice before you do, making search much more interesting than just a mere roll
>>
>>44923535
or GMs that think the game is a competition against the players.
>>
>>44923765
top GMing. would play with.
>>
>>44933879
>but entitled players that think that everything is the GM's responsibility.

>It's not the GM's responsibility to schedule a game and ensure the game's schedule is adhered to

Fuck off shit GM. Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.
>>
>>44934021
Ok, have fun not playing
>>
File: 1412643602157.jpg (23KB, 150x188px) Image search: [Google]
1412643602157.jpg
23KB, 150x188px
>>44923763
>roleplaying games are games
>a game of make believe and collaborative storytelling
>"i'll min max my character because i want to win this game lol"
>>
>>44924818
Is the GM allowed to or even meant to sacrifice having a good time (i.e. having a bad time himself) for the sake of his players having a good time?
>>
>>44934070

>Implying your games last more than 1 session anyway when you won't even take responsibility for literally making sure the games get run

lmfao
>>
>>44934021
I never said I don't do it when I'm GMing too. It's just common fucking sense to confirm plans, you nitwit.

But if can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes of your time contacting the other members of your group, why should they spend any more time preparing a game for your whiny ass?
>>
>>44924034
Why is "sandbox" such a trigger word for /tg/, aren't sandbox settings literally super MUH PLAYER AGENSSYH?
>>
>>44934021
>Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

It's the second time I've heard that today. Stop posting already, faggot
>>
File: MeguMegu.jpg (139KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
MeguMegu.jpg
139KB, 1280x720px
>>44924034
You. You're the heart and soul of the party.

It is you. You were all along.
>>
>>44934149
>It's just common fucking sense to confirm plans, you nitwit.

So why exactly are you typing some dumb "it's not the GM's responsibility to do everything" shit when you were replying to a post that literally says the GM's responsibilities include organizing the game?

And besides that, what exactly is a player supposed to do by contacting other members of the party? Seriously. I want you to take off your feel-good "everyone contributes to the game equally :DDD" goggles for just one minute and think this one through.

The GM is the one who makes the game. He is the one who organizes the game that the players are actually playing, because he's the GM. Without the GM, the game doesn't actually get played, because there's nobody running it.

So what exactly does a player have to bring to the table when he tries to organize players for the game? That's like being invited to a dinner party and asking the other guests if they'll be there. It's not your place because you're not running the event. You don't actually have any power to make sure the event takes place. If the dinner party host fucks off, well guess what, nobody's having a dinner party. I mean, sure, you can invite them to *your* dinner party, but guess what? AT THAT POINT, YOU'VE BECOME THE NEW GM, NOT A PLAYER.

Some of you beta GMs are so eager to prop up your atrocious gamemastering abilities by putting random shit onto players that you completely lose sight of the literal most basic of basics a GM is responsible for. It's no wonder /tg/ gamefinder threads account for constant flakes when you say dumb shit like it's someone else's responsibility to make sure YOUR game gets run.
>>
>>44926364
Ugh, bookfags who are barely over 20 need to STFU good. Pretentious shitlickers.
>>
>>44934166
Because /tg/ hates sandboxes, and because /tg/ also hates railroading.

Basically; /tg/ hates anything having to do with /tg/.
>>
>>44934143
Shit, I've got all my stuff ready and in order. Up to you guys if you wanna figure out when you wanna play. I'm not gonna dictate the schedule, that's not fair to anyone.
>>
>>44926364
Nice animal abuse pic, e/lit/ist.
>>
>>44933246
That's being creative and logical, which is anathema for D&D.

For actual roleplaying though, that is, my opinion, it's great and you should do it more and evolve it!
>>
>>44927571
still in college buddy?
>>
>>44934267

Good lord, you're one of those "play by consensus ''''GMs''''," aren't you.

Look, if you don't want to put on your big boy pants and tell the players "Hey, the game's gunna be on [date] at [time], be there or don't be in the game," fine, but quit acting like this makes you "fair" or some dumb garbage. You're weak. You want somebody else to do the work for you, even though by virtue of being the event organizer, you are literally the one in charge of making sure the event takes place at all.

It's pathetic.
>>
>>44934250
Do you want me to coddle you and pick you up too, faggot? Pay your transport perhaps?

I am the GM, I am God.
>>
>>44934341

>I am the GM, I am God.

Yes, I know I am. YOU, on the other hand, are a wishy-washy delegating faggot who thinks you don't have to take charge of your own game.

Seriously, get out of my hobby, you limpdicked GM-poseur.
>>
File: 1394084153497.jpg (34KB, 300x281px) Image search: [Google]
1394084153497.jpg
34KB, 300x281px
Found and dusted off my old D&D books a few weeks ago after I figured out some coworkers played off and on.
GMed D&D, 2ed AD&D and 3.5
Party started out on D&D and eventually converted over to rules cyclopedia.
>Roll 5 character stat sets. 3d6 down the line. >Pick your favorite. The rest are backup sets. If one dies you can roll another stat set and pick from the 5.
>Let dice rule out all combat. No fudging on either side. Keeps players from being especially tarded. They also have a deeper appreciation and consider everything carefully.
Not many house rules at all. All house rules are discussed with players because NPCs abide by the same rules and agreed upon.
>Have to make a con check for resurrection to work. If not then character is permanently dead.
>Thieve's skills are broken down to points which are distributed freely/level.
>NPC antagonist of note level with the party. Because hey they do stuff too while the party is out going on adventures.
It's a little more upkeep but it keeps things interesting.
They've hit levels 2-4 so far and everyone is enjoying themselves. They all show up 80% of the time anyways.
No furrfaggotry tolerated
No cell phones and FB at the table.
I'm a chef and actually make food for my games. I treat it like I'm hosting guests in my home.
Judge me /tg/?
>>
>>44934338
Dude I run THE GAME, not THE GROUP. You're not my victims to order around and demand tribute from, you're players I'm acting as arbiter doe so that a game can be had.

I'm not gonna force the players to completely fuck over their schedules to make some arbitrary time and date. People got jobs and real life stuff to deal with that isn't going to bow to some silly dice rolling or card playing. I always work with my group to find a good schedule so there's actually players available when the game start.

Calm the fuck down, man. It's a game, not an event. I'm just here to give you guys shit to do and have fun while doing it.
>>
>>44934338

That's a hell of a lot of quote marks. You know that's a sign that you're a giant faggot, right?
>>
>>44934338
Yeah man because jobs with irregular hours don't exist, huh autismo?

Consider eating a gun.
>>
>>44934621
>Roll 5 character stat sets. 3d6 down the line. >Pick your favorite. The rest are backup sets. If one dies you can roll another stat set and pick from the 5.

Meh. I much prefer 3d6 place where you want. Even giving people 5 to choose from, there's a decent chance you won't get the stat alignment you need for a given class/character. And even if you are, if that one dies, there's an even lesser chance. Could easily result in a player being forced to play an archetype they don't want to play.

>Have to make a con check for resurrection to work. If not then character is permanently dead.
I feel like this unnecessarily punishes low con characters. If you want to make resurrection harder, just make it cost more or be more restrictive or some such.

Other than that, very good.
>>
>>44934738

If you've got time, my favorite was always the ring method. I would have them do 3d6 13 times, and arrange them in a ring. The player removes one ("unlucky 13") and then selects a consecutive clockwise sequence of 6 stats.
It turns it into a kind of minigame where you have to strategize which die to remove, and what segment to take. You can shift stats left or right by selecting different parts of the ring, and removing the one die lets you push two high stats together, so if you wanted INT and WIS to be high, you could take the modest stat out from between them, but then you might have to take a poor stat for DEX.
It takes a while, though, so it's better for leisurely chargen.
>>
Player says he wants to play a dragonborn
>>
>>44934704
>Yeah man because jobs with irregular hours don't exist, huh autismo?

What does that have to do with a GM setting forth a time that he expects all players to be present at? If they can't make the time, they can't be in the game. That's just how it works. Tough shit.

>"W-well maybe the GM's schedule is variable, and the players should figure out something that works for them and then run it by the GM!"

>Scenario 1
>Players decide on a schedule (won't happen in the first place because when among equals with nobody having any particular claim to leadership, most people will wait for somebody else to take action first; basically a variation of the bystander effect, but sure, let's entertain your fantasy for a moment)
>Run it by GM
>Scenario 1A: "Wow, that works! Let's do it then."
>Scenario 1B: "Sorry, that doesn't work for me. Since *I'm in the running the game,* we'll need to do it on a date that works for me.

>Scenario 2
>GM states date that works for him
>Players either come or don't, because the only guy who *has* to be there for the game to occur *will* be there

Notice how the latter scenario actually occurs because it's not within the realm of pure wishful thinking, and is simpler and more direct to boot.

>>44934674
>I'm not gonna force the players to completely fuck over their schedules to make some arbitrary time and date.

Uh, you're not. I don't know why you equate telling the players to be there or be square to be "fucking over their schedules." They either will be there if it works for them, or won't be there if it won't. And if one of them wants to be enough to ask if a different time will work, well congratulations Einstein, you've just figured out what organizing an event time looks like; being the guy who sets the time as needed by the group, instead of saying "Oh w-well I guess you can take care of that."

This is your actual duty as a GM. Here's your gold star for learning to do what literally any non-lazy GM does by default.
>>
File: yourbiggestachievement.png (118KB, 465x160px) Image search: [Google]
yourbiggestachievement.png
118KB, 465x160px
>>44927622
Congratulations!
>>
>>44934898
Man, you're a really sad dude. If a player can't make a time it's just being an asshole to say "Too bad, that's when we're going to play". Yeah, if there the only one with a problem with that time then they're just kinda screwed. The group should still at least TRY to see if they can reschedule a bit to avoid losing the player. I'd like to hope you at least kinda like that person. I know I don't want to run a game missing players if I can help it.
>>
>>44923294
That thing has two left feet.
>>
File: 1450293326836.png (272KB, 1823x2253px) Image search: [Google]
1450293326836.png
272KB, 1823x2253px
>>44934738
>just make it cost more or be more restrictive or some such.
Yeah I've considered other options. It's pretty lethal as it is. The campaign is pretty much about to go into a conflict between several faction kingdoms. So deaths are important.
I think I actually will swap over to the 3d6 and place wherever thing.
The PCs will sandbox into whatever faction they see fit to go into.
I recently played through and old PS1 strategy game I loved to death back in the late 90s called Brigandine and it kinda inspired me.
It's pretty much risk meets tactics RPG with a fantasy theme.
I've been breaking down all the different kingdoms, areas and everything on paper.
So the whole campaign is fleshing out nicely on paper anyways.
So in between dungeon crawls there can be political intrigue, missions, mass combat and sea combat to utilize everything and keep things exciting/fresh.
Been using pic related for a lot of things. It's been making the NPCs a bit more concrete and memorable.
These are RL people and not over the net play. I have one guy who played in my old group before I moved 1200 miles away that said he'd jump in from time to time on Skype.
>>
>>44934166
As player:
Problem is that it can become just aimless meandering, which doesn't rhyme with some people too well. Without overarching sort of purpose it sort of falls flat on its ass. What's the point of sandbox if every corner of it is boring and meaningless?

Some people enjoy it though, and I won't blame it.

Player agency is really important, but there has to be some connecting strings.
>>
>>44934845
What's wrong with dragonborn anyway?
>>
>>44923458
Silly Anon, when you die it's the end of character generation.
>>
>>44934621
>rolling for stats
Other than that, looks alright!
>>
>>44924069
>killing players.

That would be kind of unsettling.
>>
File: ^).png (1MB, 1350x1500px) Image search: [Google]
^).png
1MB, 1350x1500px
>>44922893
Sounds like you're the unoriginal one, friendo.
>>
File: 1407897185831.jpg (34KB, 326x246px) Image search: [Google]
1407897185831.jpg
34KB, 326x246px
>>44927413
>It's a dissatisfaction with modern binary gender.

>I live a comfortable life in the most accepting and free society in human history, but still feel entitled to special treatment.
>>
>>44928565
What type of character do you play?
>>
>>44927413
>The best GM I've ever had has a mental disability and likely requires medication
Says a lot about you
>>
>>44935830
give an inch and they'll feel entitled to a mile
>>
File: advanced autism.jpg (43KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
advanced autism.jpg
43KB, 400x388px
>>44934338
>>
>>44928418
That theory was put forwards by John Money

His core example case later reverted to being male and committed suicide.
>>
>>44922984
In reverse, any GM who makes a natural 20 "work too well" and produce a negative result is a piece of shit, too. If you attempt to knock someone out and roll a natural 20, that should mean you did a really good job at knocking someone out, not that you fucking killed him. Turning nat 20s into another kind of nat 1 is stupid.
>>
>>44933773
>didn't encounter any traps designed to kill 10ft away guy
Yeah the GM is newb.
>>
>>44928793
>>44928955
I think it's because rape being one of the first things you describe about your setting is a bad sign that it's going to be everywhere. Like if you lead your homebrew setting description with a mention of people eating babies, I should probably expect more edgy shock stuff like that in the future.
>>
>>44936048
>GM who makes a natural 20 "work too well" and produce a negative result

There are people who actually do that?
>>
>>44926364
Well, aren't you the smuggest little wanker.
>>
>>44936261
Yes. They are the worst.
>>
>>44934968
I lived in a garage for 20 years. I'm a car and if you say otherwise you're automobiliphobe and need to check your vehicle privelage.
>>
>>44936261
Here's an example:
>I roll to climb up after anon
>Nat 20
>DM: In your gusto to climb up the wall you surpass anon and (*Rolls*) knock him off. Take 3d6 damage anon
>>
>>44935894
Indeed
>>
Literally the only universal 'red flag' for a shit GM that I've encountered is when they don't talk to their players about what type of game everyone wants.

That's an experience thing.

The rest of it shows up ingame: "You were reduced to 10HP, you lost a hand".

Personally I drop anything with ERP or blatant fetishbait, but that's just how I roll personally.
>>
The indicator of the worst kind of GMs are when they LIE about what kind of game they're going to run. Everyone shows up expecting high fantasy noblebright action and the game turns out to be ERP: the apocalypse.
>>
>>44922533
>no humans
>>
File: 1263881105678.jpg (146KB, 600x955px) Image search: [Google]
1263881105678.jpg
146KB, 600x955px
hey guys see you next week. *leaves this space-time*
>>
>>44934823
Never heard of that before, sounds baller. Stat allotment needs player choice but not perfect player selection.

PS genderfluid isn't real. Yes you can be gay, yes you can be less masculine as a man and more feminine.... But you are still a man.
>>
>>44922579
>Blatant favouritism
Agreed. Fuck that.
>DMPCs (NPCs are fine)
Within Reason. If they're trying to have so much fun through a character, they should join as a player.
>Setting is "sandbox"
Nothing wrong with this. I run all my games as sandboxes. I let the players make their own story, rather than force one upon them.
"Furry" is the buzzword there.
>Pushes something onto players that they are clearly uncomfortable with.
Within reason. Horror and whatnot are supposed to be uncomfortable.

>>44922775
How is this bad? Some might want to start doing something better than kicking goblins around.
>all NPCs are rude or hostile for no reason
Agreed. Has to be a reason.
>has a dmpc
See above
>mentions rape when describing the setting
And? Some settings are proper Grimshit.
If they're confident and know the sources, then why not?
"Thank you, I'll read them over and let you know what I think."
>"cool, a kender"
Oh fuck right off. Fucking awful things. If anything that's a red flag for cunt players.
> doesn't describe the setting
Yeah, everyone needs a heads up.
The initial chaos and possible tpk would be fun to watch at least.
>"you've been transported from FR, to a spaceship..."
Okay no. I personally hate shoving sci fi into fantasy.
>weighs more than 225 lbs
Possibly. If they're an unhealthy shut in then they could be warping into a strange person.
>has a neckbeard
"Shave. You look like a fucking idiot."
>"my girl/boy friend will join us"
This one needs handled with gloves. I've rarely seen it done well.
>"no, I don't use attack rolls. You all do though"
Illusion of choice.
Nobody's perfect
>mentions : anime, furries, trannys or WWE in any positive way
Opinions
>>
>>44938234
>>DMPCs (NPCs are fine)
>Within Reason. If they're trying to have so much fun through a character, they should join as a player.
Agreed.
>>Setting is "sandbox"
>Nothing wrong with this. I run all my games as sandboxes. I let the players make their own story, rather than force one upon them.
Some people like a plot to go through instead of aimlessly wondering for weeks at a time until something interesting shows up.
>>Setting is Fantasy medieval England except everyone is furry.
>"Furry" is the buzzword there.
And that's a bad thing why?
>>Pushes something onto players that they are clearly uncomfortable with.
>Within reason. Horror and whatnot are supposed to be uncomfortable.
I think he meant like the above red flag of pushing furry into everything.
>>
>>44936261
Yupp.
This happened to me.
>Locked wooden door
>Smash a hole in the door while trying bash the lock in
>Reach through the hole to open door from inside
>"Something grabs your arm"
>As an 18 str Paladin I say that grab back and pull.
>"Roll strength"
>Nat 20
>"LOL! You pull so hard that the door come off it's hinges and FALLS OVER YOU! With a zombie laying on top of it!"
On top of that I got a massive initative penalty and every time the other party members hit the zombie I took damage aswell because "The weight of the door and zombie."
I lost 12 hp out of 16.
At lvl 1 dnd 5th ed.
(We rolled stats and I got lucky.)
>>
File: 1453286742222.jpg (153KB, 750x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1453286742222.jpg
153KB, 750x1021px
>>44932403
My kosynier.
Also, pic related.
>>
>>44938395
Pulling the zombie so hard you pull the whole mess down onto yourself sounds pretty funny IMO, but taking damage when everyone else hit the zombie is total bullshit.
>>
>>44922775
These always teach us so much about the players.

Like really, you have an issue with a PDF format for house rules?
>>
>>44938473
I agree. You have a thick wooden door giving you complete cover and a zombie blocking all of the attacks for you and the fact that the other players aren't trying to kill you should boost his effective AC into the thirties (even in 5e).
>>
>>44922984
The only time something like that ever happened was when the party, doing murderhobo shit, got into a fight with the town guards. One characters rolled a 1 on an attack, followed it up with a 1, we located some sort of critical failure chart, and he rolled another natural 1. The result was the weapon basically wounding him himself (I think he had a halberd or something, and it bounced back into his face or something), and he rolled for damage, maxed it, and dropped himself.

What was really that strange was in the session before that, someone rolled 3 20's in a row in combat.
>>
>>44923535

>thinks there's such thing as an ineffective character

If you don't think this you are an idiot.

If you don't think it can have a negative effect on games you are heir to the kingdom of idiots.

It depends on the game of course. In CoC playing an "ineffective" character can and often is part of the fun but if you are playing DnD and your character is poorly optimized then why the fuck are you playing DnD?
>>
>>44938473
I mean I think it'd be a fair result of a successful attempt. I didn't check the rigidness of the door and what not.
But a critical success should be flawless, right? At least manage to dodge the falling door or something.

But yeah the damage bothered me the most.
>>
>>44926767
Gender =/= Sexuality.
And well, gender is usually an on-sight-you-know kind of thing for non-trans people and it's pretty easy to get stabbed if you don't mention it early to someone and they wind up interested in you, or vice-versa.
If they go on and on about it though, yes, pretty annoying.

>>44927622
>mental illness
It's sad that with all the neurological evidence pointing at a clear anatomical basis for gender identity shenanigans, people are still ignorantly spouting the 'mental illness' thing like it's fact. Cultural pressure can affect the expression of gender identity, but it's inherent - a girl born with male anatomy is still a girl from the day she came into this world, even if she doesn't realise for a long time. Fluid gender/sexuality or entirely-outside-the-binary stuff I don't get into since I've not seen many studies on that topic as yet.

>>44937112
This, ultimately. You can spend forever outlining personal red flags, making judgements based on first impressions etc or you can just communicate with your players and try to get a handle on the expectations of your group and what they consider to be undesirable traits or qualities.
Otherwise, you could easily be That DM the entire time and not even realise.
>>
Why the hate for crit fumbles? I work them both ways. Enemy rolls a 1? Call high or low, you get it right you get a free singular action that can't be used for standard action spells. Call it wrong, nothing happens.

Player rolls a 1? High or low, get it right nothing happens. Wrong? You temporarily lost your weapons somehow. Most often their grip slips or the enemy disarms them.
>>
>>44938599
>a boy born with male anatomy is still a boy from the day he came into this world, even if he doesn't realise for a long time.

FTFY
>>
>>44938629
I should say weapon as in singular. That was a typo.
>>
>>44927622

Citation fucking needed. Educate yourself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa'afafine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_%28South_Asia%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

Unless you're referring to a different human history. I only know the one, but maybe you're from another planet, cuz see, the history I know has been full of instances of non-binary identity for nearly all of it across wildly disparate cultures who each interpreted it very differently.
>>
>>44938599
Can you kindly fuck off with your Social justice bullcrap? Nobody else is talking about that shit so get the fuck back on topic or go back to
>>/lgbt/
>>/pol/
>>
>>44938657
That's because in all of recorded history there have been freaks of nature. You are one of them. Go back to tumblr to spew your omni-gendered trans-albino in the echo chamber it deserves to stay in.
>>
>>44923976
Dude its okay if players enjoy the mechanical aspects of the game, and tooling characters to work well.

That's someone who enjoys and is challenged by a different part of the hobby than you. That's not a crime or something you need to punish anymore than they need to punish other players for NOT enjoying the crunch aspects of the hobby.

A GM's job is to provide an entertaining challenge for all players at the table, the guys who love bending the system over their knee and the guys who enjoy the junior theater aspects of the hobby alike.

Like I get it, munchkins are infuriating, but you can't punish every player who likes crunch because of a few assholes.
>>
>>44922941
I dunno, the Pathfinder Critical fumble deck has some pretty neat outcomes that aren't apocalyptically bad.
>>
File: Scarlet Banner.jpg (153KB, 700x887px) Image search: [Google]
Scarlet Banner.jpg
153KB, 700x887px
>>44922533
>Brings a beaten up binder full of loose paper that has details on his homebrew setting
Tends to care more about the setting than the PC’s in it, and we’ll <i>never</i> see the inside of that folder.
>Describes things by primarily by referencing other things
So, not only is your shit derivative, but I have to keep up with your personal lexicon of recreational media to know what you’re talking about?
>Cancels at the last minute
Once, okay, sure, shit happens. When the GM starts cancelling because “he doesn’t feel like running”, the game’s on its way out though.
>Pitches a game based on a new property that hasn’t even been out a month
I get that you’re enthusiastic about this thing right now, but have you got anything to add that couldn’t be gotten by returning to your source material? Also, as soon as you find something new to latch onto, this game is torpedo’d.
>Stresses “No Gunslingers” in Pathfinder
They’re not even good, so it’s just another flavor of “Martials Can’t Have Cool Shit”.
>d20 derivative with Point Buy Character Gen
I understand the reasoning, but damned if the people who advocate it don’t seem like the most joyless motherfuckers I ever met. Doesn’t help that the game wasn’t built around it, so you get problems like MAD making some classes basically useless.
>Runs nWoD, won’t shut up about oWoD
Run what you want to run, man. Don’t go looking for converts.
>>
>>44938599
You know what, your first point is fair.
>>
>>44938665
It's called science and empirical research. You're welcome to disagree with the findings, provided you conduct your own study and meticulously record exactly why you apparently know better than a bunch of neuroscientists. I don't care for the politics and shitflinging on either side so long as they shitfling with facts and not uninformed opinions.

>>44938629
I suspect it's just the combination of it being something that exists only to fuck players over under most DMs and the LOLSORANDOM way many of those DMs approach the fumble.

>>44938544
Optimisation can exist alongside roleplaying, but often you have to make a choice. Say you're play Kal the Fire Sorceror, a blasty fellow who has decided to leave utility to the wizard and dispense unholy bombardment upon the party's enemies. Sure, from an optimisation standpoint, you'd probably choose the magic missile variants as spells to use because, hey, unavoidable, damage type that's rarely resisted, seems obvious.
But you're not Kal the Force Sorceror, so you take Burning Ray instead, which might be a little less useful in all situations but fits the character more. Obviously it becomes a more complicated affair with skill-focused characters or utility mages, but that kind of compromise comes up more than you'd think if you're going for a fairly thematic or specialised PC.
>>
>DMing beginner's module for some friends.
>Clear first dungeon and dwarf barbarian takes the severed head of the hobgoblin boss.
>adventurers go to town and go to weapon shop.
>module says owner is no-nonsense.
>Barbarian dumps the head on the counter like he's turning in a quest in WoW and the Hobgob was some legendary bandit king.
>I have shopkeep tell rothgar to get the fuck out of her shop. Rest of the party is allowed to buy gear.

That too "That DM"? It was all of our first time with tRPGs, but I wanted people to act appropriately to situations.
>>
>>44938839
>I suspect it's just the combination of it being something that exists only to fuck players over under most DMs and the LOLSORANDOM way many of those DMs approach the fumble.

I guess I've never ran into a DM that does that. Then again I've been the forever DM for around 8 years. I've never purposefully gone out of my way to fuck players unless I'm teaching them to fix something through gameplay. Like how I have a sorc in the party with only fire spells so I through an iron golem at them.
>>
>>44938877
Jesus I can not type today. First of all *threw*. Second, I've been Forever DM for about 8 years and the two DMs I had before I got shoved into the DM spotlight were pretty chill. They actually gave me the idea for the whole way my crit fumbles work.

>>44938780
>Brings a beaten up binder full of loose paper that has details on his homebrew setting

I run a homebrew setting. Have been since 3.5 and it has been the same setting. I have a timeline with large gaps meant for PCs to fill with whatever campaign happens.
>>
>>44938839
If you think you are a man but you are a woman that means you are a woman. No amount of crying and whining on the Internet will change that fact. I will not respect your outrageous demands that I call a woman a man because she "feels like a man".
>>
>>44923041
You could raise one skill temporarily after 4 years study.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54SBRdqNwE
>>
>>44938874
No, that's literally exactly how you're supposed to handle shit. You can't just go tossing around severed heads and have people actually treat you like a human being.

Punch the kid in the face and if he keeps doing that shit, don't invite him back.
>>
>>44938780
>>Pitches a game based on a new property that hasn’t even been out a month

HOLY SHIT /tg/ YOU DO THIS EVERY FUCKING WEEK

THERE'S A NEW MOVIE OR GAME OUT AND SUDDENLY YOU FAGGOTS ARE MAKING THREADS ABOUT HOW TO MAKE A CAMPAIGN BASED ON IT

FUCKING STOP
>>
>>44938874
Nope, you're perfectly fine, but don't smother out the barbarian's choices either.
Let the Party tell him IC'ly that while in his homeland or whatever, it's all fine and well to offer the guts and jawbones of slain beasts for barter, the civil world frowns upon such things.
>>
>>44938918
Why not? It costs nothing, and in a best case scenario, you've got someone to bro up with.
>>
>>44938918
Then again, I ask - why do you believe you know better than people who have been studying the brain since the literal inception of modern neuroscience? Why do you feel that you are the final arbitrator of the reality of the issue, not the medical community who treat the condition or the scientists who study it?

I don't ask that to be provocative or extend the argument, I'm done with my piece. I just always see people dogmatically restating their position without any kind of support or logic as to why they believe that the experts and the medical profession at large is wrong or lying or whatever other word you wanna use for the contradiction.

It just feels very conspiracy-theorist-esque.
>>
>>44938986
Worst case scenario they attack you for not pandering to their special snowflake gender choices.
>>
>>44938599
>a girl born with male anatomy

This is not a thing.

What you're referring to is a man who INSISTS they're a girl with male anatomy.

Just because they insist it doesn't make it true.
>>
>>44938993
>Why do you feel that you are the final arbitrator of the reality of the issue, not the medical community who treat the condition or the scientists who study it?
Because I'm the one who has to deal with the real world applications of this medical science instead of he people hypothesizing about it. You haven't met a transgendered person until you get slapped on the bus for calling a woman a woman and she retorts "I'm a man you cunt!".
>>
>>44938993
>why do you believe you know better than people who have been studying the brain since the literal inception of modern neuroscience?

Because they told me ADHD was a real thing and every single kid I grew up with seemed to have it just because they did normal-ass kid shit.

Just because they all agree doesn't mean they're right. It just means they all agree that they're right.
>>
>>44938970
though he could always make a good living selling the skins to furriers and meat to butchers. Plus doctors and wizards more want more esoteric organs.
>>
>>44939052
Somehow I doubt there's a demand for Hobgoblin skin and Kobold spleens.
>>
>>44939033
Yeah. Here's a situation I come upon to explain these scenarios.
>A group of kindergarteners are playing on the playground
>A cat jumps he fence and hangs out by the swing set
>The children gather around, wondering out loud if the car is a boy or a girl.
>They start observing and declare votes that it's a boy
>Turns out to be a girl but they all agree it's a boy.
>>
>>44938917
Which is fine, I'd still sit down and play. It's just a warning flag, not a condemnation.

That said, do you let other people read the binder? Because the exclusivity of access to setting details is part of the issue.
>>
>>44925422
That guy is killing himself so wrong, the noose needs to be much tighter to actually snap his neck. He's going to strangle like chump.
>>
>>44923535
Try playing a true namer in 3.5 and tell me there isn't such thing as an "ineffective character"
>>
>>44939080
Except that's not even remotely an accurate analogy, because people are not all small kindergarden children, and we don't come to a "consensus" about the gender of an individual without any context clues, because we have fucking visible sexual dimorphism.
>>
>>44939082
The binder only has one section that is "DO NOT READ TOTALLY SECRET THINGS GUYS!" that is the campaign stuff that hasn't been played yet. Other than that, go for it.
>>
>>44927413

this is some god tier bait and I salute you
>>
>>44939120
Well then what we clearly need to do is study on how to reverse it without wasting millions on gender reassignment surgery (which has been reported here to change nothing about that person's mental health post-surgery source:http://waltheyer.typepad.com/blog/2013/11/20-regret-changing-genders-over-40attempt-suicide-and-even-after-surgery-a-large-number-remain-traum.html).
>>
>>44935102
As a GM, I find that if you make shit happen, like wars, rumors of wars, corrupt politicians, etc., Players WILL find it, and they WILL f*ck shit up.
>>
>>44927571

I have a girlfriend. Been with her for a little over a year.

And I can state categorically that yes, there are LOADS of things that women are simply incapable of doing as well as men.

There are also some things they do much better.
>>
>>44939154
>which has been reported here to change nothing about that person's mental health post-surgery

YEAH, NO SHIT. Because it's a fucking mental problem you dense fuck.

Fun Fact: If you're a hypochondriac, going to a doctor and getting a clean bill of health doesn't fix your mental issue. Neither does actually taking medicine. Because it's a medical defect, not a problem you can fix by altering the body of the person experiencing it.
>>
>>44939184
So you admit that it's a mental problem but also admit that I must cater to their illness instead of trying to fix it? Not a very stable argument you have going on here.
>>
>>44938503
I think the problem is that there are so many house rules they need their own PDF.
>>
>>44939207
That's because there is no way to fix, SRS does help in a not-insignificant percentage of them, and there are methodology issues with the comparison of pre and post transition suicides.
>>
>>44939207
>but also admit that I must cater to their illness instead of trying to fix it?

When did I ever say that? I don't think I'm the person you think you're talking to.

I don't think anyone should cater to trans people. You should treat them no better than you treat anyone else, they don't deserve special rights or privileges.
>>
>>44939235
Okay than. Trans discussion over. Back into the topic:
>House is cluttered to the point f major annoyance
>They have broken stuff rverywhere but say it's fine where it is
>>
>>44938780
How are MAD classes any better with rolled stats? You're very unlikely to roll 3 or more good ones.
>>
>be new GM
>only GM's four sessions in two different games
>players tell me I'm doing great
>still rifle through these threads to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong
How do I git gud?
>>
>>44939275
That was what I wondered.

MAD is a function of the system and class design, not the method of acquiring stats.

Wizards don't need Strength, so they become SAD because they can invest everything they have into their primary ability score. Fighters need Strength, and Constitution, and Dexterity, and that's just to be marginally effective. They also need Intelligence and Charisma to be useful outside of combat.
>>
I got out of a year long game a few months ago that was pretty bad. The GM forced the group into an Us vs. Him dilemma, he'd blatantly ignore the rules about how combat worked, and there were open accusations of cheating. I'd storytime this but the thread's probably about to die and I don't want to start a new thread over it cuz I know several members of that group browse /tg/.
>>
>>44939184
>>44939154
Considering there are fairly consistent anatomical precursors for this sort of thing we've noticed in the brain, treatment comes down to two choices:

A -Change the brain. This would involve invasive brain surgery and prolonged therapy to try to 'fix' something we barely even understand at this point.
B -Change the body. Still often ineffective but within the current capabilities of medical science, and therapy and extensive pre-counselling are part of this anyway, at least in the UK.

Considering A is exceptionally more difficult, invasive, there's literally no established methodology for it and is currently as likely to kill or impair the patient than deal with their dysphoria or mismatched perceptions, is it really any surprise we've decided going with B is the correct decision at this point in time?
>>
>>44939292
Put. In. Effort.

This is the only way you get good at anything. Identify your deficiencies, stop accepting positive criticism and ass-pats, and work on those shortcomings so you can become better at those things.

Then, find the next thing you're not great at, and work on that.
>>
Why is anyone replying to the trolls who are derailing this thread? It's not like you'll convince them of anything. They're just here for attention, if you stop giving it to them they'll go away.
>>
>>44939326
You could just, you know, stop giving a fuck and let them deal with it like normal people.
>>
>>44922533
Op pic.

Why did the guy stack a spider on a frog on a turtle?

What possible reason?
>>
>>44939068
There's a demand for everything, you just need to find the right market.
>>
>>44933246
There are guidelines in the 5e DMG on how to adjust CR based on things like that (if that's the system you are using). In general you just have to make a guess about how much extra damage per turn or how much staying power each thing gives a creature. Then you adjust CR and bam, balanced creature with interesting mechanics.

Build fair, then play to win.
>>
>>44939355
He's northwestern Australian - no stacking was required, he just found them like that.
>>
>>44923315
Had something like this.
>Group of 3
>Cleric, Paladin, Warlock (Had a Rogue but life came in)
>Encounter mercenaries, kill two of three, last one runs off because fuck that two handed sword spinning Paladin, he's out
>Later encounter same dude with the rest of his group, corner them. PCs got them pretty well beat, so the guy who ran away earlier (after a few good diplomacy rolls from the PCs) tries to convince his buddies to stand down. One of his buddies being the dumbshit leader doesn't, gets the mercenaries killed, except the one guy, who I was planning to just be there and give them some info in reward for the diplomatic approach
>They want him to join their party
>He's halfway a hostage at this point
>tfw they want me to make a DMPC out of a guy who watched them butcher 4-5 (one of them died from another shooting an arrow in his back by accident) of his (albeit not that close) buddies

Still not 100% sure what to do with this. I mean they do need a rogue, and they were likely going to hire some mook to be their traps expert anyway. So now I have to balance trying to get away safely, with stockholm syndrome and possibly a touch of "oh wow, these PC dudes are going where the money is", since he is a mercenary after all
All of this, without taking the stage from the players
>>
>>44939292
Be patient. Learn to observe your group, their likes, dislikes, what's pissing them off. Keep lines of communication open but expect a bunch of introverted nerds not to take them.

Find what YOU like about DMing and keep that a part of it. Running a group is exhausting and gamer nerds can be a very trying group of people, find your bliss early on and keep it in mind so you don't lose it.

Work on your shortcomings, yeah, but also be willing to accept that maybe you did well at something. Hating yourself and ignoring all positive feedback has two problems;
1: Your players are telling you what you're doing RIGHT. That's as important as knowing what you're doing WRONG.
2: Express train to burnout station no breaks no stop no fucking cow catcher.
>>
>>44939401
If its not fun, talk to them about it. Maybe give control of him to one of your less terrible PCs on a trial "I can resume control at any time" basis.
>>
>>44922569
/thread
>>
>>44939401
He's an NPC follower, not a DMPC. You need to shift your mindset on the issue and see that guy for what he is.
>>
>>44939275
>>44939316
MAD classes grew out of classes that originally required high scores to even take. Part of 3.0's whole thing was removing restrictions, so putting up a big red sign on stuff like the old Paladin and Monk was a no-no.

If you do roll consistently high though, those classes perform more in line with the headspace the designers were in when they built the thing.

That doesn't mean that SAD isn't still strong, but point-buy favors it much more heavily since you can consciously just dump everything into Int.
>>
>>44939475
This is a good point, I hadn't thought of how MAD evolved out of classes that needed lots of high stats instead of one huge one.
>>
File: OrcMonk.jpg (468KB, 864x1060px) Image search: [Google]
OrcMonk.jpg
468KB, 864x1060px
>>44939475
That having been said, back in the day the first step of character gen was rolling stats and then picking race and class. I may still be in the habit of trying to adapt a concept to the numbers rather than coming to the table with a character in my head before the dice hit the table.
>>
>>44939439
Well, I enjoy it, I just have this weird feeling that if I have him do too much, then they'll feel pushed in the background.

>>44939452
Well, I think that's how I'm playing him.
He doesn't really contribute that much, the only thing he did so far on his own, is save their asses out of a possibly adventure ending situation.
>Cleric spots someone at night in lightly forested area near camp
>Burning Hands
>Almost burns the forest down
Since none of them seemed like they knew how to solve the situation when the nearby villagers appeared, asking what happened, I had the NPC step in, and pin the whole thing on the guy who was sneaking about, since it's easier to explain "it was him" than "it was us, but I'm not with us".
>>
>>44939355
Why would he have touched that spider?
>>
>>44938343
>>>Setting is "sandbox"
>>Nothing wrong with this. I run all my games as sandboxes. I let the players make their own story, rather than force one upon them.
>Some people like a plot to go through instead of aimlessly wondering for weeks at a time until something interesting shows up.
Different Anon, but I'm running a Sandbox campaign right now, and it's not that hard to do it with interesting things about.
>Give players a starting adventure that let's them know that some big conflict (that is happening with or without them, and they can join any side of it) is brewing, so they have something epic to build-/look forward to if that's what they want.
>During starting quest, introduce them to a few big players in the world, both part of the conflict and not, so if they want to join a mercenary guild and just hunt monsters, they can. If they want to help the church eradicate heretics, they can, if they want to go on an expedition to some ancient ruins under the process of rediscovery and look for valuables, they can. They want to be pirates, they can
>Hand them some story hooks that can take them all over the setting, depending on how they feel. A collection of old treasure maps that may not even hold anything anymore but still might is good. If they don't want them, they can just sell them.

Once this is done, and they have their hands full with all sorts of stuff they can do if they want, players tend to figure things out for themselves, and there's always the occaisonal bard, or missive from the noble they helped out in the starting adventure, to help them find something new.

The only problem that can come up, is if they can't decide because there's too much to do, but that's a problem with sandboxes in general, and can be solved by just giving them small nudges until they feel comfortable making decisions.
>>
>>44934975
>The group should still at least TRY to see if they can reschedule a bit to avoid losing the player. I'd like to hope you at least kinda like that person. I know I don't want to run a game missing players if I can help it.

>And if one of them wants to be enough to ask if a different time will work, well congratulations Einstein, you've just figured out what organizing an event time looks like; being the guy who sets the time as needed by the group, instead of saying "Oh w-well I guess you can take care of that."

I know reading is hard when you can't even take responsibility for scheduling the game lazyGMs, but the least you can do is try.
>>
>>44928793
>Oh earthanon, tell me: what is your planet like?
>So there is this place called America, where some rape happens, and then there's this place called Somalia, where lots of rape happens. There are lots of cool things in Japan, including the rape comics, which I'm a huge fan of them by the way. Today rape is not really that common, but during the stone age...
>>
>>44939326
>Considering A is exceptionally more difficult, invasive, there's literally no established methodology for it and is currently as likely to kill or impair the patient than deal with their dysphoria or mismatched perceptions, is it really any surprise we've decided going with B is the correct decision at this point in time?

Or, you know, make crazy-pills for the crazy-person to take.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839957
>>
>>44922979
Cyberpunk 2020 limits growth pretty hard.
It takes about a year of practicing something everyday to go from level 1 to level 2 in a skill.
>>
>>44936048
>>44936261
There are some cases where it is reasonable. For instance, rolling for mutant power in Paranoia.
>>
>>44928420
Saying "they" isn't delving into someone's psyche though.
>>
>>44939179
Have you ever told her about the massive number of things she will never be able to do competently? How did she react?
>>
>>44940289

She told me ur mum is fat
>>
>>44922979
I like it because it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>44924034
I believe that you are a huge fucking faggot. Seriously, dude: the list goes on and on? What a pretentious ass thing to say. You sound like the kind of guy who sits on his ass all day talking shit about everyone around you while doing jack shit.
>>
>>44926389
I'll pick one of the thousands of cool anime laying around, thank you very much.
>>
>>44934261
>>44926364
This. You don't even know what you're talkig about, kid.
>>
>>44938665
As opposed to all these other people yelling about transgender shit?
>>
>>44935857
Like most people, a lot of different ones.
>>
>>44941284

Takes two to tango, now fuck off with your mental illness autism.
>>
>>44941369
>argues about mental illness
>spends all day shitposting about imaginary fantasy games on the internet

Your next line is: "Nah, I'm pretty sure you're the autist here," followed by an explanation of how great your real life is.
>>
>>44941743

No, because the mere fact that you are mentally reciting how badass your comebacks are going to be to the predicted lines you're imagining a guy on the internet is going to say says quite enough about you.

Now back to your hole.
>>>/lgbt/
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.