[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the WORST mistakes a wizard can make in the course of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10

File: Merlin-Excalibur.jpg (98KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Merlin-Excalibur.jpg
98KB, 1024x576px
What are the WORST mistakes a wizard can make in the course of their careers?

>Trusting a woman
>>
>>43472608

Taking a level of Fighter.
>>
>>43472608
Building a tower. Wizard towers always get destroyed.
>>
File: 1436456094838.jpg (477KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1436456094838.jpg
477KB, 1536x2048px
donating part of their liver
>>
Isolating himself. 99.999% this is what creates 'evil' wizards, locking yourself in your tower and becoming a NEET who studies new super powers for fun and never comes down for fresh air.
>>
>>43472690
Can't your liver grow back?
>>
>>43472608

Dismissing as unimportant bullshit the story the halfling is telling about the magic ring he just won in a game.
>>
>>43472722
but there's less of it to stop the alcohol from killing you/minorly inconveniencing you, depending on whether you can magically regrow liver.
>>
File: 134-fo-1390762968-50919600.jpg (42KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
134-fo-1390762968-50919600.jpg
42KB, 900x600px
>>43472650
shut up you foolish took
>>
>>43472722
Yes

But only once
>>
Not nuking anything immediately that might become a nuisance or a danger to you in the the long run.
>>
>>43472836
>Gandalf
>Not a Cleric
>>
>>43472914
Gandalf was, first and foremost, DMPC.
>>
>>43472941
>Gandalf

>DMPC

>not Bombadil

Nah nigga, Gandalf was the only player that payed attention and dropped points in history.
>>
>>43472941
bleh. He was more or less a god.

Tom Bombadil was the real DMPC.
>>
>>43473017
An old english teacher once called me Tom Bombadil. I'd never read the books so it was mystifying to me. Still is.
>>
using magic in rather conventional ways.
>barrier to protect self
why not trap the enemy in a barrier then create a cyclone of fire and lightning inside, or just release the new sphere of dooms barrier firing shit all over the place?

Better yet, why not change the projection of the spell? fire being connicle is starting to be dull, why not concentrate the fire and blast it into the ground and have it blast up in random patterns? I'm sure if you fired of a blast of ice that forks around a person then reconnects creating a blast of ice rivets, they wouldn't be able to guess that the initial part was all for show.
>>
Leaving a bunch of shotguns around.
>>
>>43472872
>>43472722

Correct! Your liver has two sets of connections for major blood vessels and bile ducts. It can be cut in half and transplanted using one set of those connections, and the remaining liver tissue will expand to take up the burden! Very handy.

However, those connections are impossible to regrow, so you can't keep cutting out half your liver to pay for more magic cards and splatbooks
>>
>>43473193
Because bullet hell shmups seem hard to translate to a tabletop experience
>>
>>43472608
Not forcing people to eat all these eggs.
>>
Mentoring the BBEG
>>
>Pah, how hard could it possibly be to negotiate with a dragon?
>>
>>43472712
But he has to protect the peasants from his powers! If he ever loses control, thousands will burn!
>>
Focusing on fireballs and lightning and "destruction" magic when things like Necromancy and Compulsion exist.
>>
Not killing every other wizard on sight to become The One
>>
>>43472914
>>43472650
Gandalf didn't have class levels at all, he is an angel, literally. His spells are actually racial SLAs
Gandalf is specifically a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maia_(Middle-earth)
>>
>>43472608
1. Drinking and casting
2. miscasting a contraceptive spell

1 often leads to 2
>>
>>43472608
trusting an elf
this goes for every other class too
>>
>>43479147
>trusting an elf
>this goes for every other class too

>MFW Elf is a class in the setting
>>
>>43479147
>Not trusting your elf
You are a bad bad master.
>>
>>43472608
Trusting an elf
Trusting another wizard
Discussing his fetishes with the near villagers
>>
>>43479510
>Trusting an elf
>Trusting another wizard
>Discussing his fetishes with the near villagers
What are these each referring to?
>>
>>43472608
starts having moral inclinations
stops caring about magic only
doing thing for a purpose that is not self beneficial
>>
>>43472608

Being a pretentious, unapproachable ass.

If you just chill with some wine and the local betters once in a while, talk shop with traveling hedge wizards and provide the occasional spell, people will love you, it'll help you from stressing out and you get a reputation as a good guy all around.

Even wizards die, anon, you want to be remembered as "That asshole from the tower" or "Djelybeybi the Kind, protector of Whitechapel, patron of the Art"?
>>
>>43479746

>Even wizards die

Believing this.
>>
>>43479780

Look, you can prologue your life, sure.
You can even do something to make it very hard to kill you.
But eventually it's going to happen.
Even more importantly, why would you seek an unnaturally long lifespan?
There's always going to be more work to be done, so you can't simply insist on finishing it.
People and societies change, and this is generally a good thing. We are all products of our time.
Let the youth fight their own battles and through this grow strong. Be at peace with the fate of all life.
In the end, a man who studies for a thousand years merely becomes unable to share that knowledge with others. But generations studying for the same time will spread all they know among themselves.

When your time comes, meet it with dignity and reflection, not screaming like a madman while urging your undead hordes onward.
>>
>>43479831
Pff spoken like a true loser.
>>
>>43479137
>wizards
>having sex
>>
File: yLCfE5lh.jpg (152KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
yLCfE5lh.jpg
152KB, 1024x682px
>>43472650
Elminster is a fucking weakling after all.
>>
>>43473186
He's a prancing faggo who sings about how jolly and gay he is. So fits.
>>
>>43472722
the lost part can be used to curse you
>>
#1, having anything to do with the bands of dimwitted killers-for-hire that seems to roam about, looking for quests.

stay the fuck away.
>>
>>43473463
But what if you cut off half, let it grow back and then cut off the half that regrows?
Wouldn't you still have the original connection? Or can they not connect the cut off liver-bit to the transplantee's liver-connection.
>>
>>43479831
>quitting life
Quitter trash, I shit on you and your garbage zen philosophy

There is no dignity in death
>>
File: 1441052911993.jpg (123KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1441052911993.jpg
123KB, 500x492px
>>43473017
Wisdom.
>>
>>43473502
I see where your commuting from, I feel like it is highly possible for the less extreme casts though.
>decide to cast offensive ice spell
>choose cast method cone, spear, suppresser, something crazy
>skill check and roll to connect, or roll for success in first half of spell
>roll to see if the spell reconnects or misses and goes awry
>roll damage, if it connects add a small-moderate damage boost for the spell due to its level

this is all thesis and probably wrong on many levels however
>>
>>43480231
Obligatory reminder of hist true nature.
>http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html?thread=118802
>>
>>43472608
What if the wizard is a woman? Would it still be a bad idea to trust themselves?
>>
>>43480439
>wizard
>woman
Preposterous
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
>>43473193
>not being a fighter wizard who puts unbreakable barriers on his fists
>>
>>43479831
Hey, you seem to have a lot of misconceptions. Sorry about that. It would take awhile to address all of them, so I will just mention the ones that annoyed me.

>a man who studies for a thousand years merely becomes unable to share that knowledge with other
How did you even manage to type this? Because some people decided to record information through the use of written language, so now you can get on the internet and spew bullshit. Society is built around communicating knowledge that isn't immediately intuitive.
>When your time comes, meet it with dignity and reflection, not screaming like a madman while urging your undead hordes onward.
Because if we disagree with you, clearly we are Insane Evil Necromancers. It's impossible for you to see someone not being a deathist and not being insane. Why am I even responding to this?
>>
turing into a giant snake.
I have never read a story where it worked out for the snizard in question.
>>
Going to the dentist. Woodworking.
>>
File: LUzFsCJ.gif (1000KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
LUzFsCJ.gif
1000KB, 500x281px
>>43480530
>>
>>43480439
>being a wizard
>trusting yourself EVER
Nevermind, found the real #1 mistake
>>
This thread (aside from the guy who clarified the thing on livers) is why I despise Wizard Players. The majority of you are giant assholes who suck the fun out of games.
>>
>>43480384
well that is creepy
>>
Learning without the wisdom to know if what is learned should be used or when to use the knowledge.
>>
>>43479169
I would only trust an elf if it had hips like these. And even then, it's going to have to be heavily earned.
>>
>>43480638

>Because if we disagree with you, clearly we are Insane Evil Necromancers.

No, but the mind has limits. How many centuries can you keep going before you go crazy?
How much time before the entire outside world seems foreign and bizarre?
If you, right now, hop on a plane to a different country, even with a similar culture, will be uncomfortable. People will speak in different ways, and I don't just mean the language. The distance between them varies. Eye contact isn't the same.
Culture ever evolves. As you grow old, even the society you grew up in will seem strange. After a century, it'll be vastly different.

Do you really believe you can keep in touch, somehow? That, without really developing human bonds you'll care enough? Do you imagine that seeing everyone you know and care for die will leave you untouched

As for the thousand year scholar thing, well, not sure how to break this to you, but people tend to hang on to their ideas. They tend to test them.
One man studying for a thousand years, no matter how brilliant, produces less than others. The more you study, the more specialized you are. The less comprehensible your work is.

As for writing, well, have you tried reading something from a century ago? Have you ever read a research paper from that time? Hell, have you ever read a maths paper from *our* time? Most of what you figure out will be already known or hypothesized, due to sheer statistics and it's likely they'll surpass you for the same reason.

No. The only reason to cling to this life for more than a century or maybe two is terror of the unknown.
>>
>>43486881
tl;dr
What about all these things that the regular working ant people care about, things that would not and should not ever matter to true genius

Fuck off you third rate dogshit wizard, you keep telling yourself those things and stroking your ego's dick to forget the fact that you were never meant for great things, you were never able to rise above mediocrity, keep pretending that your fleeting moment of existence wasn't a complete waste, it's all your good for, in the end this is just a big masturbatory exercise, it's about making you feel better about your failure
>>
>>43480530
>not being a fighter wizard who puts unbreakable barriers on his fists
>not already having an unbreakable body
>laughing_armstrong.jpg
>>
>>43487103

Because proroguing your life, far beyond what you could reasonably handle is such a clever move. It's worked so well for everyone who's tried it, like...hmm. Nobody. It's never panned out.

You can work to become a god, but that's not quite what we're talking about here. Not to mention the many other drawbacks.

You're not a "true genius". There's no such thing. You're a sentient being that requires emotional connections to maintain any sanity. What you're talking about is merely another form of insanity. But, you know, I'm sure you're destined for truly great things, aren't like all the others, they were fools, you'll show us all, etc.

Enjoy those crusaders that are bound to be crashing your party in a few centuries. I'm going to a farm fair, the miller's daughter is rumored to like men with knobby staves.
>>
>>43487228
>far beyond what you could reasonably handle
Far beyond what YOU could reasonably handle maybe, otherwise it's pure speculation on your part

>requires emotional connections to maintain any sanity
Where do you get this stuff? That's a whole lot of conjecture

>What you're talking about is merely another form of insanity
Sure, you too

>But, you know, I'm sure you're destined for truly great things, aren't like all the others, they were fools, you'll show us all, etc.
Plebeian. You are simply incapable to understand, aren't you?

>the miller's daughter is rumored to like men with knobby staves
Simple pleasures for simple people naturally, but you really should stop pretending to know what you're talking about
>>
>>43487356

Well, what can I say? All the best to you. Maybe you'll finally break that precedent. Although considering how you're already talking about regular folks, well, I wouldn't bet on it. Didn't even need a divination spell for this one.

But let me as this, then. What the end game here?
>>
>>43487462
End game? None really

Why? Did you imagine there should be?

I strive to exceed any and every limitation, to be better, greater for greatness' sake, for that attainment of all that a man ought to be
>>
>>43472608
>letting a woman anywhere near you
>she will interrupt your studies
>>
>>43487228
>It's worked so well for everyone who's tried it, like...hmm. Nobody. It's never panned out.

Yeah man, becoming an immortal really screwed over Vecna. And Elminster. And Moridin.
>>
>>43487878

Vecna is a crazy, evil God who wants to be the only one in existence. He also wants to hoard all knowledge.

Elminster didn't try to prologue anything. There's a goddess who made him unaging. He's a bitter, fairly powerless old man who lives by himself.

"Betrayer of Hope"

Literally everyone who tries this ends up being one banana short of a fruit salad.
>>
>>43487643
Would that greatness even exist if no one else knows about it? Like a tree falling in a forest, without someone to share it with, it may as well never happened in the first place. Knowledge only reaches its full potential when it is shared, for others may think of uses or interpretations that you are unable to, because of either personality, or bias.
>>
>>43488123
Ha, that's retarded

Sounds like your motivations are just recognition, fame

Truly the lowest of the low
>>
>>43480981
literally goatse
>>
>>43488192
No, not fame, because fame is a fleeting thing, that quickly fades away. No, the motivation is not mere fame, but to have an impact that rings through the annals of time, to make a mark upon history, so that if/when I pass into the next world, I shall never be forgotten, because, if no one remembers you, it would be the same as if you were never born at all! As long as people remember you, you would remain, in a way, alive, therefore, to be remembered for all time makes you in a way, immortal.
>>
ITT: Wizards exemplify why people don't like wizards.
>>
>>43489793

They learn a handful of cantrips from a ratty old book and suddenly their greatness and power will ring through eternity. Every fucking time.
>>
>>43472608
>preparing explosive runes near his magical stuff.
>>
>>43490098

In conjunction with this;

>Forgetting which of his arcane accouterments are real and which are cleverly disguised booby traps for rival wizards.
>>
>>43485385
>I would only trust an elf if it had hips like these. And even then, it's going to have to be heavily earned.
Hips Don't Lie, anon.
>>
>>43489464
So literally fame

How petty
>>
>>43490639

Not merely fame, slightly longer-lasting fame, apparently.
>>
>>43490639
(chuckles) No, because fame is something that lasts only a single generation. Tell me, would you consider Newton, Plato, Bismark, or Caesar to be famous, because to do so would mean you put them on the same level as Lady Gaga, or Berber, (shutters). Besides, I only said that my goal is to be remembered, I never said I had to be remembered in a positive light, though that would be preferable.
>>
File: SQUEAK.jpg (151KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SQUEAK.jpg
151KB, 600x600px
>>43479780
all things die, anon
>>
>>43490824
Truly pathetic
>>
>>43490824

Your cheap-shot cultural references are out of date.
>>
>>43480722
underrated post.
>>
>>43490824

While nothing can stop you, must you really emote in your posts?
It's very cringe worthy.
>>
>>43480439
Women can only be warriors you dipshit
>>
>>43473186

Now I'm curious. An Old English teacher or an old English teacher?
>>
>>43491680
Now I'm confused
Are you asking if the the teacher was an old teacher of english or if it was an english teacher of old or if the teacher taught old english
>>
>>43491976
>all this English ambiguity
>in a discussion of English
We are reaching levels of irony that shouldn't even be possible.
>>
>>43490959
not death
>>
>>43493312
Strange aeons, lad.
>>
>>43473186
She was calling you a faggot.
>>
>>43480124

Weaker than someone with the same number of levels only all Wizard. :^)
>>
>>43492122
I think I've cracked the code, what anon meant was
>My old (previously taught me) English (nationality) old (age) teacher of Old English (subject) of old (doesn't teach anymore)
>>
>>43487878
Most of the Elminster books are about how shitty his life is. He just soldiers on because it's all he has left at this point to give him meaning. He hides it well, but why else do you think most of his relationships are with people as old as he is? Why he flits around like he does? Why he's on reasonable speaking terms with even his sworn enemies? He's clinging to the few constants left to him.
>>
>>43490824

This has been the most fucking ridiculous exchange I have ever had the displeasure of reading. Pedantic as shit, cringe worthy even.

That being said I have to agree with ambitious wizard, I haven't spoken, face to face with another person for a few months outside of ordering food at restaurants and listening to lectures, frankly I've never felt better. yay science wizard
>>
File: 1442527264905.webm (165KB, 226x296px) Image search: [Google]
1442527264905.webm
165KB, 226x296px
>>43490824
What the fuck is wrong with this guy
>>
>>43480384
That reminds me of a webpage where someone theorized he was the Witch-King of Angmar.
>>
>>43472608
Letting a group of "adventurers" use their things.
>>
>>43487228
Divayth Fyr is handling being functionally immortal pretty well.
>>
>>43497993

Dunmer live around 400 years or so.
Besides, let's not forget the fuck puppets he made.
Divayth Fyr lives in seclusion, obsessed with the Dwemer. He's uninterested in anything outside his work, and his only real link to being normal are the "daughters".
I'd chalk his seeming normalcy to him not being in any way human.
Besides, an Altmer can live for a thousand, if they avoid disease and war.
>>
>>43498036
Pretty sure the Dunmer have the longest default lifespan of all elven races in TES, although it is ambiguous in the lore just how many years that is on average.
>>
>>43498254

I remember Altmer were mentioned to live a thousand years.
I remembered Barenziah is older than 400, but I imagine she's using magic.
>>
>>43479831
>Even more importantly, why would you seek an unnaturally long lifespan?

I NEED MORE POWER
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.