[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What items are essential to a wizard? Do you prefer wands or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 1423573506478.jpg (92KB, 745x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1423573506478.jpg
92KB, 745x1072px
What items are essential to a wizard?

Do you prefer wands or staffs?

A stylish doublet or stained robes?
>>
A wizard should have a magical book filled with magic, and also a mischievous grin and twinkle in his wrinkled eye.
>>
>>43461025
Nothing.
My wizard just conjures fireball out of nowhere, naked.
>>
Spellbook. Churchwarden pipe. At least ONE Hawaiian shirt and a pair of shorts in case of multiversal shenanigans.
>>
>>43461025

Robes and a pointy hat, and a staff in hand.

Wand is something hedge tricksters use, not real wizards - unless they want to make money on crafted goods.
>>
A funny looking hat.
>>
Normal/plain clothes for the setting
>>
>>43461025
Robes, spellbook, ladyknight to bully him
>>
>>43461025
Around 30 years, lack of social skills and a neckbeard
>>
File: How I Breton.jpg (280KB, 727x1028px) Image search: [Google]
How I Breton.jpg
280KB, 727x1028px
>>43461025
>Spellbook/s
>Bag/s to carry material components.
>Mind expanding salts, drugs, or incense.
>Travel gear (Comfy clothes, robes, jacket, boots, whatever fits the setting)
>Magical staff for big guns, wand for concealable side arm.
>Dagger for day to day tasks, combat, gathering reagents, and altering components.
>Low level, poor wizards just wear clothes.
>High level, rich wizards have ornate, expensive robes that are easier to enchant, along with a plethora of enchanted jewelry.
>Beards are a status symbol, natural, and masculine. However those who don't grow them properly or don't want them singed off shave.
>Wizards that mix potions normally have a cart for their equipment, or have light weight travel equipment wrapped in bags lined with down or other materials to prevent breaking.
>Comfy sleeping bag and pillow, since sleeping is part of their job.
>One or two scrolls of an emergency spell, such as recall or levitate.
>A much more violent, in-shape, armored guy to be a body guard and carry shit, and a qt cleric to heal and buff if you cant heal through magic because reasons.
>A desire to wander and learn, regardless of why.
>>
Every Wizard needs a stick of infinite Chalk, i forget what its called.
it has a million and one uses.
>>
>>43461025

I find the safest wizard is one that doesn't look like a wizard in the first place.

We had an illusionist in one campaign who played it smart- always looked like he was in chainmail (usually backed up with a variant on the Phantom Armor spell, illusionary helm, and a phantom "spearhead" topping his staff.

He then usually made the paladin look like he was wearing normal (if fancy) clothing. Saved our butts more than once when monsters or the like would go after the "easy" target only to find they were chewing on field plate while the "bodyguard" put a color spray in their face.
>>
File: Wizard - The Image.jpg (338KB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard - The Image.jpg
338KB, 933x1352px
>>43461025
The first thing that needs to be in order is for the wizard to be comfy.

Comfiness is so, so important. Wizards need to concentrate and remember and cast, it's just as taxing as being a warrior is. But whereas the warrior is conditioned in one, the wizard is conditioned in another. So, sturdy, roomy boots, a shirt, some boxers and a large roomy robe cut off near the feet and hands for good movement for casting or running or setting up a ritual.. Comfort and practicality go hand in hand, because what is easiest is comfiest. Once the wizard is relaxed and comfortable, dextrous and alert, we can move on.

I find sceptres and staves the most useful and effective implements. A sceptre, the medium between wand and staff, is a good cudgel in a pinch, while the staff has reach and a pointy crystal can do some damage. They both have their pros and cons, and a staff is good for the wanderer, but I myself prefer a sceptre, as within roomy robes, it can also be concealed.

Lastly, regardless of your alignment or whatever the fuck, a pointy hat. Hoods hide faces, hoods are sneaky, hoods are suspicious, but a big fucking point hat with a wide brim? Hides your faces pretty well, and keeps the sun out and isn't as suspicious as a hood on a robed traveller. It has the aspect of the sage and kindly old wizard about it. It doesn't hide magical intent. Also, it's tradition and depending on how well your hat is tailored, fukken S-S-STYLISH
>>
File: Washington_Wizards_Logo.png (104KB, 1111x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Washington_Wizards_Logo.png
104KB, 1111x1024px
>>43461025
Basketball attire.
>>
File: hat.jpg (10KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
hat.jpg
10KB, 240x320px
>>43461025
a big floppy hat or a conical hat with stars and moons on it
>>
>>43461025
Whale sperm
>>
Dresden style. Just a guy who knows shit, has a few tools of the trade, and dresses how he wants.
It fits in any universe as arcane skills are based on both latent ability and knowledge. Anyone could make potions if they knew what to do, etc. but it isn't easy to gain information.
Magic is better cast when channeled through something or has some sort of arcane focus (so staves and wands are valid and come down to choice). Clothing is usually just brimming with pockets for various trinkets and stuff.
>>
My god there are wizards out there not wearing pointy hats
>>
>>43461025
This >>43464121
>>
>>43461025
Wands are customary, though a walking stick or quarterstaff can do in a pinch.
Chalk, for drawing symbols and circles.
Salt. Do NOT forget to bring salt.
At least two or three kinds of incense and/or candles. And come to think of it, something to start a fire.
A sharp knife, for animal sacrifices. Mostly for animal sacrifices.
Practical clothing is acceptable for a traveling sorcerer, but the formal robes and hat are traditional and some of the spirits consider anything else disrespectful.
>>
In my setting, wands vs staffs is largely personal preference, as neither are what the spells come from, but rather an instrument to channel your own magic through. Some prefer the utility of a staff, others prefer the convenience of a wand
>>
>>43461025

Shoes.

It's tough to go far without those.

Water and food are important, too.

On a more serious note, assuming D&D, a spellbook, some kind of arcane focus, and probably a staff and an awesome hat. And other clothing.
>>
Lets start from the top to bottom.
A good hat. A hat that tells the world you are indeed a wizard. Perhaps write it on it as well.
The beard is not there to be stylish. It is to hide your lips while you preform vocal components. The robes are worn so you look more like a wizard and the long sleeves both aid in hiding somatic components as well as a dagger for all the fuckwits that think a wizard cant use one. A pouch for components. A prepared dinner with enough black pudding and cheese. While at it a man servant would be nice. Somebody that can unpack stuff from Tensers floating disc. All in all a hat is the most important bit. Take care of it.
>>
File: 1376103848650.jpg (15KB, 344x259px) Image search: [Google]
1376103848650.jpg
15KB, 344x259px
>>43461025
i always liked the idea that staves VS wands VS spellbook and doublet VS robes never really mattered but instead is a sorta like a....skub thing. Like the sort of thing wizards get into shit-flinging contests over on the internet.

>not wearing a robe and using a staff
Its like you WANT to be a shit wizard! I bet you don't even have a beard you fucking pleb.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.