[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ how do you feel about royalty who take up arms along

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 26

File: BattlePrincess.png (411KB, 500x833px) Image search: [Google]
BattlePrincess.png
411KB, 500x833px
/tg/ how do you feel about royalty who take up arms along with there soldiers?
>>
File: 800px-GW-Bush-in-uniform.jpg (144KB, 800x1108px) Image search: [Google]
800px-GW-Bush-in-uniform.jpg
144KB, 800x1108px
>>
Where soldiers?
>>
File: Theoden_leads_the_attack.png (1MB, 1906x798px) Image search: [Google]
Theoden_leads_the_attack.png
1MB, 1906x798px
>>43446052
Awesome, but sometimes stupid.
>>
>>43446052
As NPC's? I don't mind them. Might make for an interesting plot hook. As players? I would probably make it my mission to have my character kill theirs. No need of that special snowflake garbage.
>>
It's great and I love it. The weirder and more violent the better.
> Bear witness to your new monarch. The Red Despotess appears to be a human child, with freakishly long, multiply-jointed fingers. She wears rich red velvet clothes over ancient armour of rusted scales. The purpose of her rule is to outdo all the previous conquerors of history. The monarch can only be permanently killed while staring at her own reflection. Her sovereignty is made evident by her inhuman and incomprehensible lineage, and she is heralded by four dread horsemen
>>
>>43446310
And also this I guess actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTOp7b-Ggkc
>>
>>43446228
>>I would probably make it my mission to have my character kill theirs

That Guy detected
>>
File: 1422068935008.gif (233KB, 380x570px) Image search: [Google]
1422068935008.gif
233KB, 380x570px
>>43446310
That is the most weeaboo thing I've seen all day.

Then again, I just woke up.
>>
What is with all of the garbage anime picture topics today?

>here's a boring topic: *anime pic*
>>
>>43446407
>Hating on Log Horizon
Eat a dick, dude.
>>
>>43446400
I feel like this is one of those times weeaboo is used when it really is unbound from being specifically anime at all.

Anyway have another
>Bear witness to your new monarch. The Black Kaiserin is two conjoined twins, identifying as a single being, with an open, sucking, star-shaped wound over her heart. Her body is encrusted in thick, multicoloured ice. By royal decree she has commanded that all that is not the embodiment of herself must be destroyed. The monarch can only be permanently killed if her body is raised undead and then destroyed by fire. Her sovereignty is made evident when living things wilt & wither under her feet, and she comes mounted on a huge and ethereal butterfly, its wings painted with nightmares.-
>>
>>43446435
I like how you think pointing out something is anime is "hating on" whatever that thing is. Maybe you should eat my shorts, dude.
>>
>>43446052
Depends on how they do it. If they just show up and stay in some high quality area with bodyguards making sure they don't have to do any actual work then it is pretentious as fuck.

If they are actually in the shit doing actual work taking actual risks then that is cool.
>>
>>43446052
I played a campaign in Eberron once where I my character intent was to be an estranged warrior-noble from Cyre, with a bit of a backstory as a warrior mage and military background. The DM suggested I up the ante to Princess for reasons, so I did.

Ended up being pretty fun in parts, although I honestly lament the fact that the DM didn't really know what to do with the rest of the party and almost exclusively focused on my own character's personal story arc (which ended up turning from Political Intrigue to "Just go kill everything in the Demon Wastes so you can found a new Cyre there").

Mechanically, it's pretty awesome, especially if your royalty has access to shit like White Raven. Few things are as batshit crazy as cutting/spelling your way through the front lines, pointing at the enemy general that you've carved a path to, going "Alright, everyone dogpile on that motherfucker" and having your loyal armies kill the shit out of them. If you're a good boss that keeps your forces safe, it's even more satisfying.
>>
>>43446475
>implying something has to be from a specific anime to be weeaboo.
>>
>>43446435
>2015
>Liking Haremshit
Too bad, I liked it before he focused on the fucking 14 year old and I haven't been able to read past it.
>>
File: seal of shocking truth.png (236KB, 524x524px) Image search: [Google]
seal of shocking truth.png
236KB, 524x524px
>>43446132

OP said "ALONG WITH THERE SOLDIERS", not "hid in a NG base"
>>
File: Albert_I_of_Belgium.jpg (14KB, 220x271px) Image search: [Google]
Albert_I_of_Belgium.jpg
14KB, 220x271px
>>43446052
Our king did it a couple of decades ago, so rather positively.
>>
I'm a pretty big fan. Nobles and royals who end up as commanders simply by virtue of their station is an easily exploitable story hook.
>>
To what? Pull a Gustavus Adolphus? It's really stupid to risk so much a figure that is so respected, especially if he is a good commander, they can easily die, and with them dead the war could be lost.
>>
>>43446400
>Not recognizing a character from the Roll Your Own Weird Princess table.
>>
The nobility kind of existed to take up arms.
>>
>>43446052
Depends on the type of ruler, the situation, and that sort of thing. If they're a barbarian king or something, he's sort of obliged to join his people at the front lines.

If they're a military commander in a pre mordern setting, they might also be needed to help direct the battle. If they potentially making a last stand for the kingdom, they probably should get out and help fight

But if they're pure political and such. Yeah, keep back.
>>
File: robert_de_bruce_500x427.jpg (149KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
robert_de_bruce_500x427.jpg
149KB, 500x427px
Literally accepted a '1v1 me fgt' challenge from an enemy knight prior to the battle, and proceeded to smash his skull in with a battle axe.
>>
Depends entirely on the game and royalty. Normally I'd say no but we played in a game where the royal family were an orc barbarian tribe, so front line battle even for the women fit like a glove.

Not all of them did, but the ones that did got by well enough. Some casualties expected but they had big families.
>>
>>43446052
There's nothing strange about it, kings, emperors and princes have done this throughout history.

However, you need to remember that royalty who did this generally had their bloodline secure and never took the most dangerous jobs in the battle.

The appearance of royalty on the battle was pretty much a guarantee that the victory was certain, not only because they'd have the best troops of the nation taking part, but also because the royalty generally did not participate personally in battles they knew they couldn't win.
>>
>>43446052
Well my setting's royalty are genetically engineered supersoldiers, so they tend to lead from the front.
>>
File: 1438182135317.jpg (47KB, 245x374px) Image search: [Google]
1438182135317.jpg
47KB, 245x374px
>>43446052
>mfw the dumb bitch princess is about to bring a succession crisis over us again after we worked so much to keep her retarded ass safe
>because self-esteem issues
>because daddy was crusading all the time and could not pay her enough attention
>so now she needs to PROVE HERSELF to her daddy by performing the Light Cavalry Charge
>so that the daddy can finally love her

And the party face will not allow our bard to solve these issues with his dick. Fucking politics man.
>>
>>43446052
Prince Harry of Wales has apparently been credited with some insurgent kills while commanding an Apache. Does close air support count?
>>
>>43446052
It was completely expected during the times Fantasy RPG's are often based on. The practice largely ended with the introduction of gunpowder on a large scale, because warfare became more unpredictable. An English member of royalty was killed by an exploding cannon while commanding artillery, for instance. But the practice persists, even into the modern age.
>>
>>43448312
>>43446985
Those don't count, as they are desperate attempts by remnant jokes of aristocracy to gain at least a tiniest piece of relevance.
>>
>>43448284
Careful now. She's daddy's little girl with all of his political cutthroat acumen and just enough empathy to feel for people; she goes around the camps giving speeches and listening to the soldier's woes (while under guard, of course). She's the darling of the army, from the footsloggers to the knights to the nobles, they'd all lay down and die for her.

She's got tears in her to cry for each peasant's death, and a ruthless streak to make their deaths count for something. When the last big battle broke out, she moved her honour guard near the front lines and the entire army surged to protect her, fought like goddamn mad tigers.

So be careful where your friend sticks his dick or he'll have an army on his back because of it.
>>
>>43448381
>to gain at least a tiniest piece of relevance

So, a world more relevant than you, you mean?
>>
>>43446052
It depends on the royalty. A politician has no real place on the battlefield, and sometimes the ruler is too important to risk in dying in battle regardless of their combat prowess. Sometimes they might be an excellent strategist but a poor combatant so they stay away from the actual combat. That being said I would respect any ruler that's willing to actually get down in the dirt alongside his subjects and there are other ways of doing that than fighting.
>>
>>43446052
Is a monarch who refuses to fight with his troops even worthy of his title?

>>43448381
As much as modern monarchs are shit, you have to admire Albert of Belgium as well as the Belgians in general during WW1. A tiny speck of dirt that didn't stand a ghost of a chance against the German war machine fought tooth and nail, ensuring the French had enough time to get their shit together. Tiny Belgium in a way won the war for the Entente.
>>
>>43446052
Nothing wrong with it.
>>
File: 14345298339610.png (67KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
14345298339610.png
67KB, 400x263px
>>43448475
>she goes around the camps giving speeches
That could've been useful if we were an unorganized militia full of gullible coward idiots. But actual soldiers don't need speeches. They need full bellies, frothy mugs, hot wenches and a good sleep before the battle. Give them that and they'll do the rest, achieving the impossible for their land like it's some everyday job. Last thing they need is some blueblood bitch throwing her snot around.
She doesn't know shit about what we're doing here, the best thing she could do is stay safe in the castle, so that the kingdom doesn't get cut apart by pretenders after she dies without leaving a heir.

>they'd all lay down and die for her
Who the fuck told you THAT? No matter how many times these damn court fuckers dress her in full plate - she's still an upper-class spoiled brat, good or nothing aside from finally delivering a worthy heir so that the kingdom can live on. She can't even dress herself, and we're supposed to follow her into battle like she's not a child spoiled into madness, but a trustworthy veteran? Man, she may find some sympathy among the damn decadent courts and dinners held by merchant families, but in this here camp she sticks out like a sore thumb.

>When the last big battle broke out, she moved her honour guard near the front lines and the entire army surged to protect her
Fucking A they did! We had to butcher the entire battle plan to keep her from being captured by the enemy cavalry! And look at the casualties we suffered as the result! Half of Baron's pikemen host lies dead in that field! That could be avoided if Her Highness could keep her bloody ego under control. And you suppose soldiers would adore her - someone too ignorant and stupid to even understand what she's putting us through?

>So be careful where your friend sticks his dick
At least we'll have a worthy king. And soldiers don't really mind following a bastard.
>>
>>43448959
That's why you're seen as a cold-hearted merc who gets put on the front lines to die first, bub. A pretty girl telling the people what they need to hear to keep their spirits up, does a hell of a lot more for morale than you think.

>Half of Baron's pikemen host lies dead in that field!
That's because YOU and your "veteran soldiers" ran like fucking dogs in droves when the left flank started crumbling, and it's only because she moved up personally did our forces rally. I'm surprised you're still standing and not being chained up after that shitshow of cowardice. Protip: they held the flank for her and stopped us from being overrun, literally laying their lives down for her.
>>
>>43447051
What is this?
>>
>>43446052
They'd better have a fucking heir or two ready to take over should they cark it.
>>
File: alexander-of-macedon.jpg (89KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
alexander-of-macedon.jpg
89KB, 960x720px
>All these boring machine-like sons of bitches who treat war entirely like economics and have no sense of the concept of morale.

The greatest conquerors in history led from the front. Do you know why? Because its badass and romantic as fuck, that is why, and that raises morale, and morale is one of the most important THINGS in warfare.

If a ruler can actually fight, and consistently survive, fighting like this, he should definitely do so for the benefit to morale, which massively outweighs the risk of his dying in terms of utility. And since in a fantasy setting, literal superhumans often run this, this trope should be common as fuck.

If your noble isn't a badass, a retired badass, descended from a badass, or a schemer, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>43448381
I guess you're an American? Or perhaps French?
>>
>>43449281
>The greatest conquerors in history led from the front.
As did the greatest faillures
>>
>>43448284
Is the dick so good you can make a girl forget her ideals? Is it possible to make her cum out her conscience?
>>
File: hah[2].gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
hah[2].gif
134KB, 340x340px
>>43449423
You can't make someone forget what never existed in the first place
>>
File: Urgts.jpg (138KB, 800x978px) Image search: [Google]
Urgts.jpg
138KB, 800x978px
>>43449423
Thats the plan at least.
>>
>>43449423
According to my Japanese animes, yeah
>>
File: Karl.jpg (14KB, 210x305px) Image search: [Google]
Karl.jpg
14KB, 210x305px
lead to great (but reckless) leaders
>>
>>43448959

Turns out, armies can have That Guy too.
>>
File: 91zJjZX-mNL.jpg (631KB, 1448x2040px) Image search: [Google]
91zJjZX-mNL.jpg
631KB, 1448x2040px
>>43449225
Altina the Sword Princess. The title character is like 4th in line for succession of the throne of not-France, and with the help of her bookworm low-ranking military clerk, Regis, whom she appoints as her strategist, the series follows their rise from the commanders of a small backwater post of a few thousand soldiers through her battles with the not-Germans and the not-British to eventually command huge armies and navigate Machiavellian court politics as they struggle against Altina's older brother and first in line for succession of the throne so they can reform the feudal system and provide greater prosperity to the not-French people.
>>
File: 25821023_p0_master1200.jpg (244KB, 600x417px) Image search: [Google]
25821023_p0_master1200.jpg
244KB, 600x417px
>>43450000
>>
>>43449352
How, how are losses like that even possible? If he armed his men with rocks and had them charge the enemy he would have gotten better results.
>>
>>43448959

this made me kek hard. Well done Anon for putting a light on things
>>
>>43450466
>How, how are losses like that even possible?
I'll bet you one side had better gear.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 460x276px
Hella respect for them. Characters that I enjoy playing.
I'd say it's an easy morale boost for the units too.
>>
I'm in a Wuxia game. An Imperial Family member who does not cultivate their chi or master Kung fu is not worthy of any title.
>>
>>43446052
I have told this story a number of times on /tg/, but I will tell it again.

My town used to be a castle. The lady of the castle had been the nurse maid of Charles II.
13,000 Roundheads turn up at the castle to face off against the 2000 royalist defenders.
Fairfax sends in his man to sort out terms of surrender and is met by Lady Christabel who tells the man that they will hold the castle to the last man.
Oliver Cromwell himself turns up to see what the fuck is going on.
Lady Christabel Wyndham learns this and storms up to the battlements, snatches a rifle from one of the men and takes a shot at Cromwell. She kills the son of Fairfax.
Lady Christabel Wyndham writes a letter to Fairfax and Cromwell asking if they had "received her love token" and that true gentleman would return the favor, or as I'm sure the exact quote went: "Come and 'av a go if you think your 'ard enough!"

Reports of the battle tells that Cromwell, despite taking the castle walls, was forced to turn the cannons inward and level most of the town. The royalists and townsmen "fought like lions and refused to yield until the castle was leveled"

Lady Christabel Wyndham was arrested but quickly escaped. She came back and had something to do with rebuilding a local Church.
>>
>>43450290
It's not gay if it's Karl
>>
>>43448959

Wait, is that supposed to be Eder?
>>
>>43447251
This table. Do you have it?
>>
>>43450466
>How, how are losses like that even possible?
The majority of casualties in medieval battle happen during a rout, with only a tiny minority happening during the battle itself.

The battle of Muret is unusual because the Aragonese king died during the first charge, causing a rout almost instantly. By then, all Aragonese resistance was broken and the battle became a slaughter.

It's more or less what would've happened at Hastings if William the Bastard had actually died.

Stuff like this proves Napoleon's famous quote right: the primary virtue of a soldier is courage first, skill second.
>>
>>43446052
They're the kind of royalty who aren't going to have to worry about a military coup, and who'll probably have the respect of the nobility and the peasantry (assuming the nobles and peasants also serve in the armies).

It's a good way not to be seen as decadent and uncaring.
>>
>>43446507
They did say "garbage anime".
>>
>>43446052
In reality it's a fucking terrible decision because the odds of randomly getting killed are way too high and the next guy in charge is worse than you and therefore will get more of your men killed.

In fantasy there's magic and shit so it's fine.
>>
File: 1438738721602.png (143KB, 303x370px) Image search: [Google]
1438738721602.png
143KB, 303x370px
>>43451228
>the next guy in charge is worse than you
>>
>>43451228
Not necessarily.

You have to remember that most pre-modern battles were won when one side broke ranks and fled, and massacres were extremely uncommon.

The morale boost of seeing the king leading from the front (or alternately, the fear of retreating in the presence of the king) meant that your army was much more likely to maintain its discipline in the face of battle and successfully rout the enemy.
>>
>>43448312
>Prince Harry of Wales has apparently been credited with some insurgent kills while commanding an Apache.
It's weird just how similar that is to a knight, on a huge charger, decked out in full plate, riding down some peasant levy
>>
>>43450222
Is it good?
>>
>>43451876
One can only hope that Harry will pull a Richard III and take over the country in a military coup.
>>
>>43451228
>In reality it's a fucking terrible decision
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Monarchs_killed_in_action
>>
File: altina04.jpg (1MB, 1241x1750px) Image search: [Google]
altina04.jpg
1MB, 1241x1750px
>>43452196
It's really... casual? Or simple maybe. I don't know exactly. The characters and world are fun, there's no magic which is a nice change of pace (it's closer to Age of Enlightenment Europe in tech level), though it's pretty repetitive.

I've read 8 volumes into it so far and plan to keep reading it, for what it's worth. There's only light romance and harem stuff (almost no "fanservice moments" like most fantasy harem series have, and while there is a large cast of female characters, it's gearing hard for a Regis/Altina OTP), and it's really more about battles, politics, and world-building than it is about anything else. It's a really nice change of pace from the dime a dozen fantasy magic school/trapped in an MMO/reincarnated in a fantasy world stuff that's popular these days. I'm sure some might fault me for the comparison, but it reminds me a lot of stuff like the Three Musketeers, more like an historical (though it's not set in real-history) swashbuckling romance than an epic fantasy adventure.
>>
File: 14448490841460.jpg (207KB, 1280x904px) Image search: [Google]
14448490841460.jpg
207KB, 1280x904px
>>43449329
>I guess you're an American? Or perhaps French?
Worse. Russian. Once our aristocracy ceased to be useful for leadership, we sought for unorthodox ways to recycle nobles in other uses. Like lamppost decoration and close-quarter shooting target practice. Turns out those burn through blue-bloods really fast.

>>43450974
Yes.

>>43449281
>The greatest conquerors in history led from the front
Yes, the ones who conquered using small squads of their companions - Cortes, Pizarro, Yermak, et cetera.
They had to be on the front lines because they were the most competent commanders in the force (which was usually what brought them in this position in the first place), and the groups themselves were so small that putting an extra command level between themselves and the rest of troops effectively doubled the length of command chain, i.e. - made commanding a lot more of a trouble.

But look at bigger armies and history will give you hundreds of cases when leading from the front turned out to be a Very Bad Idea. From Alexander the Great to Friedrich Barbarossa to Peter of Aragon, entire campaigns were failed because their very motivator bit the dust or fucked things up by being somewhere he shouldn't. "Leading forth like a badass" was the MO that lead French kings to suck miles of English dick for the better part of Hundred Year War.
Morale does not depend on the presence of royalty alone - no sort of leadership can compensate for being grossly outnumbered, bad logistics, incompetent command or outdated weapons. You can put the entire royal family in the first line of troops - if these troops are hungry your king will probably end up dead before battle even begins. Even in the perfect conditions it's a double-edged sword - boosting morale from the front requires royal to be very popular among the troops, which would mean a huge blow to morale if the royal in question is killed.

>>43450869
Lots of boasting, little use. In the end Cromwell won the war.
>>
>>43450222
>>43452520
Is there only a light novel? No manga? I've never read a LN before but this sounds right up my alley. Worth starting?

>>43452385
>Wonder why Saint Louis isn't on the list
>Look up his wiki article
>He literally died shitting himself
Wow, that's anti-climactic
>>
>>43452520
this sounds like what the author of familiar of zero wanted to do but with magic untill his editor demanded more perverted harem shit.
>>
File: Ethe'riia.png (2MB, 1932x880px) Image search: [Google]
Ethe'riia.png
2MB, 1932x880px
>>43446052
Royalty must take up arms. to inspire their people, to show them an Empress who will stand in front. and give them the trust they have in the crown. If the crown will not do this for them, then what purpose does the royalty have to rule them? So much money in wealth, taxes, a gentry of reagents and instructors, and that investment is to be tucked away instead of put to use?

I ask my common people to serv us nobles, and for that we owe them protection, and they ask their slaves to serve them, and for that they owe them protection. The crumbling of society that occurs when the State welches on this deal is far more drastic than any shuffling of crown and cabinet. It erodes the soul of Empires and Monarchies, Drow or human, and teaches the people that corruption and crime is implacable.
>>
>>43448523
>A politician has no real place on the battlefield,
>but that's fucking wrong
>>
>>43446052
Can be inspirational and awesome, but nevertheless foolish and often ends poorly.
>>
>>43446052
If the nobility live more luxuriously than the common people, they BETTER take up arms.

If they're more beurocrats who live modestly and file logistics paperwork, they get a pass.
>>
>>43446931
What's an NG base?
>>
>>43456669
National guard.

I am just guessing though.
>>
>>43446052
"...Yours don't? Come on now, the only other thing they're useful for is fiddling with numbers and making speeches."
>>
>>43446052
Shut up and get behind me....lady.
>>
>>43450466
The king lead from the front. And was killed almost instantly.

The rest of the army saw that, decided to "fuck this!" and routed.

The opposing army was comprised primarily of cavalry.

Go figure.
>>
>>43446052
That was pretty common practice in many places throughout large swathes of history. Generally it's not a good idea... Unless their charges are in some way better off with their leader dying.

The whole feudal model was built on warlords offering their own arms and those of their pledged men to a stronger warlord. Heck, there was a blind king of Bohemia (John) who had knights tie their horses to his so they could guide him into melee at the battle of Crecy during the hundred years war. The guy's motto is still used by the Prince of Wales today.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.