[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the fantasy equivalent of A.I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

File: Robot.jpg (387KB, 1025x743px) Image search: [Google]
Robot.jpg
387KB, 1025x743px
What's the fantasy equivalent of A.I?
>>
A Golem?
>>
>>43439883
Deep Rot.
>>
>>43439883
Rune programing, or binding a spirit/soul or an elemental to a golem.

As the spirit/soul Will allow the construct thoughts and prevision, as well as some social runes ; while the rune programing seems to be more like simple program embded in a construct.
>>
>>43439883
>filename not presenting.jpg
missed opportunity
>>
>>43439883
the fantasy equivalent of AI is planck-thought
its nullgate "arcana"

its called being alive.
>>
File: all of my sci fi games ever.jpg (49KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
all of my sci fi games ever.jpg
49KB, 400x300px
>>43439883

A haunted mansion is for all intents and purposes the same thing as a derelict spaceship with an insane shipboard AI
>>
>>43439941
Blinding a spirit/soul. That's like necromancy right? Could undead be seen as the equivalent of robots/A.I?
>>
>>43439953
Could you explain your post better? I don't understand what you mean.
>>
>>43439883
A living doll.
Questions of whether or not it has a soul are similar to whether or not AI is a real mind.
>>
>>43439971
No. AI literally mean artificial intelligence. Undead are unnatural, not artificial. AI are built. Undead are merely souls either missing a body or their body has been infused with unnatural energies to reanimate it.

The fantasy equivalent of AI is literally just AI. It could be anything from a normal computer AI, to some strange clockwork thing, to the emergent property of thousands of elemental spirits being bound to something.
>>
>>43439971

I think so, since the necromancer make the undead his minions by imbuing a corpse/construct with spirit/soul to allow it its own actions, while being restricted to obey to the creator.

I hope I'm not too much in the thought of This.
>>
Didn't someone design Turing machine using skeletons?

I'm sure someone has the screenshot of it, somewhere.

Cuz, that.
>>
>>43440021
>Artificial is unnatural
>Undead are constructed as products of their makers
>>
>>43439883
Those robots have oddly shapely butts.
>>
>>43439965

And so Anon invented Alien.
>>
>>43440036
Intelligent Undead are such things as vampires, mummies, liches, and other such things. They are all souls attached to their own rotting bodies, they arent built like an AI, but merely converted from a living creature. Zombies and skeletons aren't intelligent and thus are more akin to basic robots than AI. They have no will of their own and merely obey simple instructions.
>>
>>43440021
What if somebody were to infuse a corpse with a artificial soul so it may reanimate? Like somebody refine create undead from imbuing undead with necrotic energy to instead giving it a artificial soul?
>>
>>43440049
They were indeed designed by mankind, then!
>>
>>43440036
Undead are converted not created. They aren't built but are merely corruptions of normal creatures.

>>43440103
There is no such thing as an artificial soul. I don't even know what that would even be.

You seem to be ignorant of how undead are created. Going by D&D, as it's the most popular system and has several decades of lore to pull from, I'll explain it to you.

There are three parts to the system of how a creature works: the Body, the Animus, and the Soul, if they are sapient. The body is just a bunch of meat and bones. The animus is what animates and moves the body, it is responsible for the base urges. The soul is the mind and the the driver of the body, telling the animus what to do and thus moving the body.

Reanimate dead corrupts the animus with negative energy, since death cuts off its supply of positive energy. This Animus is unintelligent and only lashes out at things that are living. Binding it to a necromancers will suppresses though simplistic urges and makes it so they can be commanded.

Intelligent undead are undead that retain a soul. Their bodies are rotten from a corrupted animus which drives them insane and often makes them do evil actions.

Skeletons and zombies are a body, or whats left of it, and a corrupt animus. They lack any form of intelligence and thus don't qualify for AI status. Intelligent Undead are just normal souls attached to rotten bodies or entirely lacking one and thus still don't qualify as AI as they are still normal Intelligences.
>>
>>43440318
Where do you get this information? I am not saying you're wrong.In fact if this wasn't just kicking around ideas, you most likely be right. I just want to understand more on what makes undead in D&D.
>>
>>43439922
I sent you funny familiar pictures. The ones with captions
>>
>>43439883
Undead
>>
>>43440376
Years of playing and reading D&D. The animus is never explicitly called out and in later editions ignore large parts of lore so you miss certain clues to how it works. In 4e one of the devs called it out quite explicitly, and I have long forgotten where (possibly one of the preview books that came out before the system), and laid out how the system generally works, tying it back to much older lore that hinted at this system but never quite laid it out.

It makes quite a bit of sense. It explains how the system works, what the various types of undead are without having to come up with some strange convoluted explanation for several types of undead that are neither souls or bodies. It gives a good anchor for why negative energy is needed and why wild undead are generally evil and malicious though often unintelligent.
>>
>>43440496
In D&D, there is no such thing as an artificial soul. Only gods can make souls and those are just souls.

I dont know about any other type of fantasy, but within D&D its not possible. It would require magic that is rather powerful, rivaling gods in fact.
>>
>>43440496

The distinction would be meaningless, because a being capable of actually creating souls as opposed to simply re-purposing them from something is effectively godlike, and thus for all intents and purposes, the soul they made is natural, because that's how souls are made anyway.

Or something. Different dude here, we're talking about DnD still, right?
>>
>>43440570
Why does creating souls have be good like? For the sake of this conversation. Let's just say this is some shitty homebrew. Would creating souls would always inherently be god like?
>>
>>43440613
Souls are powerful and ethereal, transcending both time slave. If they truly exist they were clearly made by the creator of their universe. If you were to encounter such a creator would you not address them as God?
>>
>>43439883
A.I.
>>
>>43439965
With one moderately important exception-
Ghosts normally aren't supposed to be there. AIs are. On the other hand, one could say that the ghost being the maddened remains of the previous inhabitant is similar to an AI going bananas, so there's that.

Though now I am imagining a fantasy setting where the most prestigious military installations, mansions, and other upper-class areas have their own ghosts set about to tasks too "mundane" for the inhabitants.

And the terror they create once something goes horribly, horribly wrong.
>>
>>43439883
Fey/spirits that cross over from the fey/spirit world via the "internet"-like matrix that exists in the contact point between our dimension and theirs.
>>
>>43440812
Not sure. If a scientist created an A.I, wouldn't the A.I see that person as his creator and obviously intelligence man. Same thing could be said intelligent undead seeing it' creator. It guess the knowledge of knowing that you are created remove some mysticism.
>>
>>43439883

Enchanted difference engines would be neat.

Pretty sure i remember some setting had a computer entirely made of magic.
>>
>>43440940
Fuck. I just realized how incomprehensible that last post was. Sorry. Getting sleepy.
>>
>>43440940

No. you're anthropomorphizing. a program would do what it was programmed to do.
>>
>>43440955
I guess what I was trying to say was the knowledge of knowing your soul can be created removes the grandeur of it.
>>
>>43440974
I think the only exception are ghouls created by demon of some sort. They kinda operate like programs.
Unlike souls, which aren't "program"-like and aren't artificial.
>>
>>43440974
But I am talking about true A.I. some thing without "programing". Some that has true intelligent thought.
>>
>>43441032

With all due respect, what's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>43439883
It would still be called artificial intelligence, because it's an intelligence that's artificial. The only important difference is how it's constructed. (Computer programming? Runic binding?) if you want specifics examples, look up anima and automata in Greek mythology.
>>
>>43439883
Gods
>>
>>43440318
>>43440476
>inted at this system but never quite laid it out.
>muh opinion, basically
>>
>>43439922
Beat me to it.
>>
>>43439883
It would be dependent on how powerful it is.
Low intelligence, single machine, would a golemn. Like a smart reaper drone.

Close to human equivelance would be a spirit or a ghost, assuming living things manage to utilise it in some way.

If we're talking higher level AIs, like Skynet or Samaritan, it would be a god.
>>
>>43441062
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant by "true AI" is something with free will.
>>
>>43439883
Knowledge spirits
>>
>>43440974
>>43441032
>>43441062
Not really anthropomorphising if it is AI, TRUE AI, then its just as "programmed" as humans, though to a degree humans just take in information, process it and respond with what we deem the most appropriate response, just like a proper decent AI would
>>
AI IS MALF CALL THE SHUTTLE
>>
>>43439922

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Deep_Rot
>>
>>43439883
A ghost in the machine.
>>
>>43439883
I have no idea
Sauce?
>>
>>43439883
Liches.
>>
>>43439883
A lich?>>43439883
>>
>>43439883
Golems and bound spirits in tradiational magic. Servitors and thoughtforms in chaos magick are precisely analogous.
>>
The Skelenet

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12936417/
>>
File: 1368267894164.jpg (94KB, 858x602px) Image search: [Google]
1368267894164.jpg
94KB, 858x602px
>>43439883
Modrons

They're from mechanus, pretty much clockwork robots programmed to do certain shit. some go rogue, but most exist in mechanus and occasionally go rampant through the outlands, dissecting and studying anything in their path.
>>
Natural Intelligence.
>>
>>43457994
>Servitors and thoughtforms in chaos magick are precisely analogous.
Servitors are cyborgal, but the AI the eldar psychically create out of ectoplastic are pretty much 1:1 cognates.
>>
>>43439895
Wrote once an fantasy larp and one of the characters was golem whose character was basically the three laws of robotics and a bit about feeling weird warm feeling about witch's apprentice.
>>
>>43439883
http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentTechArtifactsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Divinity%20Drive
>>
>>43439883
First, let's catagorise the prime traits of an AI:
- Intelligent
>Capable of reasoning, learning, and adapting over time. Very often capable of communicating with people.
- Artificial:
>There was a time when none existed, then a mortal created one.

This makes a fine definition, but is rather wide for our purposes covering robots and frankenstein-type monsters as well. In a fantasy universe, these are covered rather mostly by Golems and Arcane Undead. Going from OP's image, they're more interested in Glados or Shodan. To distinguish an AI from a mere robot requires a few more rules.

- Disembodied
> Acts physically through proxies, or by manipulating certain parts of the enviroment. Can survive as only a brain (though might go mad after a prolonged period in such a state).
- Not a Mortal Mind
> Capable of performing mental tasks far faster than a human, capable of performing many tasks simultaneously.

A fantasy being with these traits would likely be some kind of Bound-Spirit, Genii Loci, artificial Yggdrasil/Gaia, or Hive Mind.
>>
>>43439883
Golem, certain type of undead, certain compulsory curses/enchantments, sentient items, progamming-like magic systems.

That being said, that would still be an A.I.
>>
Talking of AI, I would love to play a SOMA style campaign one of these days.
>>
>>43439883
In my fantasy setting there's magical enchanted armor that basically makes it act like a robot. There's basic ones which are made to guard a place and repeat certain phrases and stuff like that, but more advanced enchanted armor can practically think for itself. The more advanced ones have a sort of inner clockwork skeleton to keep them going.
>>
>>43439965
>>43440878
actually, the equivalent of an onboard AI malfunctioning would be something like the entire staff of a castle all suddenly going mad while all the nobility within tries to regain control of them
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.