[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So half of my PCs died last session. Here is what happened:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: game-over-f2p.png (11KB, 651x473px) Image search: [Google]
game-over-f2p.png
11KB, 651x473px
So half of my PCs died last session.

Here is what happened:

We play dnd 5e and I picked out a free module online (The Dreaming Heralds) where party must go and fetch some antidote from a remote temple. In front of a temple there is a pool with a large snake in it. If you keep away from the pool snake does nothing, if you do something near it, it attacks.

Knowing my players (lvl 1 Ftr, Rog, Clr, Sorc) I switched this to: Snake is sleeping and will only stir if touched/attacked.

Of chourse Rog had to climb in the pool and Sorc followed him. Then rogue KICKED the "snake as thick as your chest".

It ended in Rog and Sorc being constricted to death before Ftr and Clr managed to put the beast down.

The remainder of the team then returned to the village where they started and have RP-ed untill the end of session.

I told the dead Rog and Sorc to make new characters, but I'd apprecaite /tg/s advice on how to act when party suffers massive casualties and ressurecting them is not yet an option.

thanks
>>
>Are you *sure* you want to go in the pool?
>Are you *sure* you want to kick the gigantic snake in its own pool?
>>
>ressurecting them is not yet an option
Depends on your setting, but there's always the classic "The local church agrees to set up the Resurrection ritual for your fallen friends... for a favor." plot hook.
>>
>>43101533
While I like this idea normally, his PCs probably need to learn to be more careful, and this will teach them. Level 1 is pretty lethal when you don't go around kicking sleeping giant snakes underwater.
>>
Assuming they are on some kind of quest, they could always be looking to hire new adventurers to aid them.

Hanging up a poster near the tavern and asking around are stereotypical, but effective, means of recruiting additional party members.
>>
>>43101476
Something feels fishy about this, but I don't know what.
>>
File: 1430307532915.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1430307532915.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>43101476
Tell your Rogue not to be an autistic child and play an actual character instead of 'lel muh rogue is evil douche huehuehue'
>>
I'd suggest give them a little reminder that they are special but not invincible. Sounds like they may have forgotten that. Bar that, though, sounds like you threw a slightly over-leveled enemy at them. Nothing wrong with that early on, personally I've always wanted to throw a Tarrasque at a lvl 5 party and see how they respond, but at lvl 1 it becomes a beginners trap. remember, 1-4/5 is ''tutorial mode''. Skip straight to like 5 if you want to take the training wheels off.
>>
>>43101653
That dude kicked a giant fucking snake that was sleeping in the chest. It's his fault and his alone.
>>
>>43101476
> I'd appreciate /tg/s advice on how to act when party suffers massive casualties and ressurecting them is not yet an option.
Your objective is double
1)provide new characters for the players.
2)keep the power of the party so you don't have to rewrite all the encounters.

Solutions
1)defeated =\= dead (apparently doesn't apply here). KO or whatever (with bonus points if urgent medical care is needed) ; it ensures that evacuating the rest of the team will be a priority for the survivors. This way loosing a team member forces them to retreat znd rethink they plan instead of putting the game to a halt.
2)remplace them with already introduced NPCs (friends, quest giver, town guards, PC's minions, and so on...).
3)use a new state for the dead characters (ghost, warforged with back-up memories, and so on... or make them be digested by the snake and reborn as monstrous half-breed if you're feeling magical realmy) Can provide for a nice sidequest (think redempting darth vader).
4)simply make new characters.

It seems that the present case was a typical "insistingly dumb player". there are few ways to prevent from those. But you were right in wanting them to stay dead, for what I see of the situation.
>>
>>43101476

I would sugest, to or make the dead PC's into ghosts and give the players, npc's sheets (To the players of the dead characters). This way they still think they're dead and can participate in the story and as you advance in the history they get a chance to be ressurected/rescued. Something like the boss of the dungeon ressurected then and putted then in his control, using magic or what ever.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.