[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /tg/, I am in the progress of creating my own RPG, and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Hi /tg/,
I am in the progress of creating my own RPG, and I would like to implement some tabletop influences in there.
I am not very experienced in tabletop games, but I enjoy the D&D boardgames amongst others.
What I would love to know is what tabletop elements do yoy find interesting in games?
My attack for instance will be calculated by the attack/strength of a player+a dice roll(depending on the weapon) then subtract the defense (AC) of the enemy.
Of course there is a chance to evade too, and a roll that doesn't exceed the def of the enemy will count as a block.

Will it be good to use as an example;
Atk+roll-def=X damage
Or is it better with
Atk+roll-def. If hit > def = 1 damage (or 2 or etc depending on the type of attack)..

TL;DR:
>What tabletop elements work good on PC?
>What attack systems are the best?
>Is low damage throughout the game an acceptable formula?
>questions if you got them!

Pic related, working on my own fantasy world since 7 years back. Just made this base of a map.
>>
Bump for halp
>>
Last bump.
The bump for freedom
>>
>>43069428
>I am in the progress of creating my own RPG
>I am not very experienced in tabletop games

Sounds great. I plan on building a car this weekend. I have no mechanical background, and can't even change my own oil, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Do you think it would be better to paint it blue or red?
>>
>>43070346
>what are video games?

>>43069428
I personally like the sense of freedom and that my choices make an actual difference in the world, but that's more of a story perspective.

mechanically, I like having more options in combat than just "attack and if you miss tough shit" I want different attacks that work better or worse on different enemies, even for things like tank classes
>>
File: asking about the rules.gif (1008KB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
asking about the rules.gif
1008KB, 380x214px
>>43069428
Read existing rule books for rules and inspiration.
Actually run other games to see what works and take notes.
Learn how to build self-consistent systems.
Then build a small, functioning model and build on it until you have the real deal.
Make sure that things are fleshed out but stick together, and know when to say no when someone requests a feature.

>Will it be good to use as an example;
>Atk+roll-def=X damage
>Or is it better with
>Atk+roll-def. If hit > def = 1 damage (or 2 or etc depending on the type of attack)..
That benefits accuracy rather than particular weapon use, rather than what happens in the second example, where having a better weapon helps more but you need to be able to aim it.
That really does depend on the setting and style of game.
For example, high-flying heroes might be able to exploit anything as a weapon effectively, but for soldiers in the modern day, a gun works almost infinitely better than a knife.
>>
>>43070409
>what are video games?

Something wholly unrelated to this thread? Really have no idea where you were going with this, besides "need to make a snide comment".

OP clearly needs a lot more experience before he can do anything effectively, but that's never how it works. His first dozen or so homebrew systems will be awful, before he eventually breaks out of the D&D rut, but until then he'll probably continue to plug on ahead rather than do some actual research into different RPG systems.
>>
>>43070346
Hehe. This was tkr response I was guessing I would get. Let me clarify.
I have created my own universe etc.
Been doing Heroes of Might and Magic maps that play out in this universe.
Now I have started Messing around in RPG Maker and I am on my way to getting a game created.

>>43070409
Story related things are very welcome as well. I am considering an expansion where you choose between good/evil, and depending on your choice, you will have different quests/quest lines/items etc.

Mechanically, that is what I want to achieve.
I will have 4 classes, Warrior, Ranger, Sorceror and Shaman. They will all have a standard attack. But then they will also have a variety of extra attacks. Example; fierce strike, 50% lower hit rate, double damage and miss 1 turn. Something like that... and ofc there will be different magic schools (elemental and self-magic but in other categories). >>43070444
This. I do this already, and being a damn noob, I thought D&D would be easy to start with.
I would be very thankful if you would give me some tips on what to read.
Oh the game will be inspired by the might and magic series, but with some tabletop influences. (Fantasy and a touch of sci-fi as well).

Thanks for the great input on the attack system too.
Evade is based on your agility+luck, then if it hits, it calculates strength+weapon damage and reduce or block the damage with the def.
Would it be good or bad (in your opinion) to have he def varied instead of static? Say that you have your def+a small roll instead of just def as defense?

I hope this made sense
>>
>>43070445
Would you possibly point me in the right direction so I can research this?
>>
The one thing that always drew me to tapletop gaming over vidya games is your limitless number of options, simply because another human like your players or your GM will always understand you infinitely better then a computer will.

In a vidya game you can program in lots of contingencies for what you think the player might do or what could happen in any scenario, but it will never be anywhere close to the kind of things a person can think up on the fly and how another person can understand what they want.
>>
>>43071845
I'd say check out the homebrew general.

>>43055327
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.