[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Players who play paired characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1440927041637.png (335KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1440927041637.png
335KB, 500x375px
What do you guys think of this in an RPG? My friend and I always played paired characters, like brothers or just really good friends, when I wasn't forever DM. Sometimes our characters were really silly. Like two troll brothers, one a bard-barian, the other a Spirit Shaman in 3.5. There was the time we were reclaiming our family honor by killing the BBEG since one of our family was working for him.

I've seen these character types get a lot of hate within some groups, but I personally love them. Right now I have that same friend and another one of our friends playing some Jojos, and I give them inspiration (5e) for just being hilarious with their antics. Then they can use their inspiration to take a team attack with advantage, for roleplaying sake. The higher one in initiative just delays to the other ones turn.

Again, viewpoints. Are they fun? Or would you rather them not be in your game, even if they aren't being disruptive to the game/group? Pic mildly unrelated.
>>
>>43049612
>Again, viewpoints. Are they fun? Or would you rather them not be in your game, even if they aren't being disruptive to the game/group? Pic mildly unrelated.
You don't get to play in my campaign if your character does not have at least a mild connection to one of the others. It's an amazing way to sift out That Players since it allows for a sort of covert IC council that ensures nobody is TOO much of an odd one out.

For example, you'll actually have to justify why your Paladin's travelling with an Abyssal-blooded Warlock, and said player has to agree to the justification. If that ain't working, you ain't playing.
>>
It is a good thing, so long as your not up your own ass about it. Sometimes people make dumb inside jokes that go on too long and amuse no one but themselves, or use the power of two to shove the game into dumb directions for their own amusement.

Also, don't do it with the same guy, that's boring. Ask another player to make a character with you, see what different kinds of relationships you can have other than 'bro with real life bro.'

>>43049747 is right in that it can filter shitty players out, though, if they refuse to have any connection with any other PC.
>>
>>43049612
Nothing wrong with that. It even helps to tie the group together.
I'd say even romance between characters is fine, they just shouldn't go overboard. I know I had this one couple in my game who couldn't stop flirting 24/7. It was annoying to everyone... I also had a romantic couple in another game that were very subtle and tuned-down and everyone was fine with it. Some other players even got interested in their relationship and tried to overcome problems their relationship might face. It was very nice.
>>
>>43049854
>Some other players even got interested in their relationship and tried to overcome problems their relationship might face.
That sounds adorable. Storytime?
>>
OP here. Thanks for the feedback guys. I run the open game where I decide if they should be in the shitty game, the good game, or my game. So I can't just kick them out for no connection.

That said, the other guy won't even let you PLAY a character unless he has approved the backstory. Which is hilarious since his game is just "Dungeon, loot, repeat" while mine has an planned, but not railroaded, story. The other DM I could never hope to attain his level of DMing, he's really fucking good. Only downside is he only shows up once a month so I get his players on downtime.
>>
>>43049612
I've played in a few games where myself and another player have either started out being bro's or just ending up that way.
Examples being a barbarian and a sarcastic thief, a militaristic warmage and a paladin of freedom and justice, a mage from the accounting department and a drug fuelled dinosaur, the list goes on.
Its just really fun to do and you always get some good moments of bouncing off one another
>>
>>43049612
They're fun. I've been playing a duo with a friend as an undead knight and slime that bonded together after being given human intelligence. We can separate or work together during battle, then rejoin in public, using my slime to fill out the armour so to not causing clanking which could arouse suspicion.
>>
It depends. In my group is an IRL couple and they usually make paired characters. They've been pretty bad like a wizard and fairy familiar, and pretty cool like a Bonnie and Clyde-esque crime duo.
>>
I have no issue with it, so long as it does not become a tool to exclude other players or a vehicle for a bunch of "in" jokes.
>>
>>43049612
I've started forcing people to have at least one connection with the other party member; battle-brothers, family, military, even rivals.

Sure, it's fun to have a buncha people meet and cooperate like in regular games with solo PCs, and if they develop a bromance while the game runs, that bromance's beautiful. But that doesn't happen often enough, and this is a safe step to take to make your players work together.
>>
File: URealms Live - Marco Polo.png (60KB, 237x227px) Image search: [Google]
URealms Live - Marco Polo.png
60KB, 237x227px
What about players who play paired characters with themselves?
>>
I did once, I joked about my pc being the sister of a friend's character, he went "why not?" and so the short lived adventures of the thrill seeking half brothers: the combat adepts Sam rhydan and Kat.
Was going to suggest we try the brothers thing in another campaing, but I let the opportunity pass, instead our new PCs (rich troublemaker teen and a young adult who enjoys cooking and was disowned)became fast friends
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.