[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

I'm an American and I have a serious problem with watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 24

File: soccerball.png (160KB, 445x355px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
soccerball.png
160KB, 445x355px
I'm an American and I have a serious problem with watching soccer.


That's pretty common, but it's not the flopping and diving that gets to me. It's not that 95% of the game is just jogging and backwards passes. It's not the offsides rule, away goals rule, the referees, the corrupt FIFA, the lack of playoffs determining the champion, the no parity enforcement, the no draft, the no salary cap, the promotion and relegation, the ads on the shirts, the fans singing, or even the teams calling themselves clubs like they do it just for fun. Lots of that shit is weird and dumb but if you think of it as part of the sporting experience in europe, which already weird and dumb anyways, then some of it is tolerable.

The problem I have, is the noticeable lack of instant extreme game changers. In football, basketball, and baseball the scoring system is set up so that it's possible to go from losing one moment to winning in just one play, and that can mean everything. In a soccer game if you're losing, even if a great goal is scored the best you can get from it is to be tied now. With how little scoring goes on period, this means that lead changes are just not very common, so the majority of most games is just the same situation, either they're tied or one team is winning for long stretches, maybe they extend or shrink the lead but it doesn't just flip everything on its head very often.

That's not to say that soccer needs moregoalslol, great defense should be one of the valid ways to build a team and a solid strategy. It's just that in other sports, great defense can still lead to exciting games, but because soccer can only score one point at a time it makes it damn near impossible to hit the ceiling of excitement that other sports have unless both sides just give up on defense and go for broke.

(1/2)
>>
>>63277456
Also for anyone who wants to interject that competitions like the champions league have the away goals rule that makes one goal go from losing to winning, keep in mind that that is because of a rule in the competition, not because of a basic rule that applies to every soccer game. If it was something that could happen in every game like with our sports, then no matter what competition it's part of it could be more interesting.

This isn't one of those threads where people go "here's my plan of how to fix soccer". This isn't that easy to fix, it's a symptom of the entire setup of the sport as a whole, meaning soccer itself is flawed. However, because Americans have been spoiled with actually exciting sports to watch, soccer is just not going to be better than any of them. It's impossible, the best you can hope for is to put band-aids on it like punishing flopping and diving harder.

In essence, there's just much more volatility in American sports. Every single year in every sport we see something genuinely amazing that's still captivating even though we see amazing things all the time. Every now and then there's something that nobody has ever seen before at all, and it's enthralling. When it comes to soccer though, the individual display of athleticism that goes into some of the goals may be impressive, but compared to our sports it's a lot rarer to find an individual game that makes people go "Wow, that game was really exciting even out of context". Basically, soccer is too stable, too stuck in a mold or living by some formula. It's not chaotic enough. If it was, things like 7-1 would happen much more routinely, and the once-in-a-generation events would be even crazier.


In short, the very nature of soccer makes it a boring sport.
>>
>>63277456
>>63277463
Nice blog post. Now go watch some commercials.
>>
>tf
>tt
>>
>/sp/ - my blog
>>
shut the fuck up, Demarcus
>>
>>63277456
that's the same when 95% of the world try to watch american sports, they're so dull and boring
>>
> I love spending 3 hours watching commercials and watching how the result decides at the last second.
>>
>Blog entry day 4
>>
Literally didn't read but i can tell you are a fucking faggot go blog on tumblr
>>
Did not read lmfao
>>
>>63277456
>I'm an American and I have a serious problem with watching soccer

That's nice dear
>>
Here's your reply
>>
>>63277456
>>63277463
>that flag
>this post
>>
New pasta?
>>
OP getting btfo
>>
Every single goal in soccer is an "instant game changer" what are you talking about OP
>>
This weak bate didn't work OP, will save as pasta for when I feel like shitposting with an american proxy.
>>
>>63277743
If it is weak why would you steal the content and reuse it?
>>
File: 1354903271823.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1354903271823.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>tf
>tt
>>
Extra time golasos are worth 3 points.

BOOM.

Take a step back and just marinate in my genius.
>>
>>63277456
>The problem I have, is the noticeable lack of instant extreme game changers. In football, basketball, and baseball the scoring system is set up so that it's possible to go from losing one moment to winning in just one play, and that can mean everything.

Soccer is a terribly designed game, even its hardcore fans know it and equate the event of a goal to a junkie getting his fix.

That's the whole gimmick of the sport. Bore your audience to death (luckily for them, they invented chanting to keep themselves awake during Tiki Taka) so when something DOES happen it's happening is equated with Haley's comet passing the Earth.

>I keep thinking about this question lately, maybe because I’ve been finding myself drawn to more and more boring games. This past weekend, I sat through the slow cudgeling death of Liverpool-Stoke. The final score was 0-0,

>So it’s not that a boring game is purer than an entertaining game or that there’s something moral about enduring tedium (although I know fans who might make that argument). I watch soccer to be amazed.

http://grantland.com/features/brian-phillips-soccer-boredom/

Meaning that since "nothing happens for 88 minutes" relatively mundane goals and events are cause for celebration. It's much like if you stuck someone in a dark room for 8 hours, a ray of sunshine is going to look like the most beautiful thing you ever seen.

The better sports gives us rays of sunshine on the regular, so big events in football, basketball, baseball, and even non-American sports like Rugby, AFL, Cricket are like Supernovas.

Am I saying that soccer fans are simple minded?

Yes.

And don't come at me with the qualitative aspects of the game. I appreciate how an attack builds, the footwork involved of handling and passing the ball, etc, etc. But after you get over that initial understanding, the game is just tedious.
>>
>>63278277
>>63277456
samefag
>>
>>63278297
This
>>
You're right, there should be no goalkeepers and goals should be worth 3 points inside the box and 5 outside.
>>
>>63278336
>goals should be worth 3 points inside the box and 5 outside.

Keep the goalie, but yes, that would improve soccer exponentially. You just took a child's game and made it much more strategically complex and dramatic.
>>
>Thought out premise on OP's part
>a bunch of herpy derpy follows it

aside from >>63278277 this thread proves just how shit /sp/ is at talking sports
>>
>>63277456
nice blog la
>>
>>63278449

Oh, and PKs are only worth 1 point. There is nothing cheaper than a penalty kick deciding a game. It makes no sense, given how hard it is to score in the first place even if you get inside the box, so awarding a 90% sure goal to a player who probably wouldn't have scored even if there was no penalty is retarded.
>>
1 goal per goal regardless of where it's scored. None of this throwing points about for no discernible reason. I don't give a fuck if almost every other sport in the world does it.
>>
>>63278480
>>a bunch of herpy derpy follows it

I blame the proliferation of smart phones. I rarely see discussions go paragraph length anymore. Just greetexting and that flag, this topic and memes.
>>
File: >shootershoots.jpg (31KB, 750x399px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
>shootershoots.jpg
31KB, 750x399px
Occasional thread ending reminder.

This is the blubbershoot's preferred 'sport'
All blubbershoot opinion is to be disregarded for the sake of sports
The blubbershoot simply will never learn, so addicted to commercials since birth, he simply has never developed the capacity to enjoy anything else
>>
>>63278589
>1 goal per goal regardless of where it's scored. None of this throwing points about for no discernible reason. I don't give a fuck if almost every other sport in the world does it.

Real talk. Problem is that PKs are "worth too much."

Many times the player who was fouled in the box had little to no chance of scoring, no obvious passing target, etc, etc. He gets lightly tripped up and then is awarded a 90-95% chance attempt at a goal.

The whole game play of soccer is designed around how HARD it is to score, so deciding a game on a penalty is nonsensical and feels cheap.

Penalty shootouts are also stupid. Dramatic as they might be, a sport shouldn't be decided by a minigame that is only loosely related to the core game. What's the English refrain, "We always go out on penalties."

"But they would be exhausted having to play for 3, 4, 5 hours."

Isn't a roster 25 deep? And if that's not enough to play a potentially 5 hour game, extend the rosters. Since it's the popular sport on Earth, the talent pool is big enough. It would also make roster building a more interesting affair.
>>
>>63278651
How much of cricket is "action"?
>>
File: 123312.jpg (7KB, 221x228px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
123312.jpg
7KB, 221x228px
>>63277456
>muh handegg
>>
File: EngVsUSA.png (4MB, 1813x1198px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
EngVsUSA.png
4MB, 1813x1198px
>>63278651

Those 11 minutes are packed with more meaningful action than a 90 minute soccer game.
>>
>>63277456
>I'm an American and I have a serious problem with watching soccer.

Stopped reading there.


Do one ya knob jockey.
>>
>>63278480
>>63278277
>>63277456
samefag
>>
>>63277456
every good team has a unique, identifiable style. you're probably watching teams whose styles you don't like. watch barca or real madrid if you want to see aggressive pushing at goal and blooters.
>>
Soccer Is Bad
>>
>>63278651
this tßh
>>
>>63278838
Except it's relative because they can often just be a long throw forward, which is basically just a (usually frowned-upon) hoofball in association football.
>>
>>63278922

Shame to see it's growing in Australia.

http://www.baka.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-is-closing-in-as-australias-most-popular-sport-20131111-2xcg0.html
>>
File: 12312.jpg (34KB, 426x426px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
12312.jpg
34KB, 426x426px
Why americans are so obsessed with football ("soccer" hehe) ?
>>
>>63279012
The obsession is deep and burning, too. They get legitimately angry about it even existing. It's funny.
>>
>>63278988

But there's goals with the goal in American football.

A "long throw forward" is attempting to get a first down and also spreads out the defense for later plays in the drive so that you can attack the middle and flats with your running game and screens.
>>
soccers gay lol
>>
>>63279006
It's gone from nothing to remotely something, so that makes its growth seen more remarkable than it actually is.
>>
>>63279012
>Why americans are so obsessed with football ("soccer" hehe) ?

Americans ITT:

>Trying to have a reasonable, intelligent discussion about soccer and its flaws.

Euros:

>Responding with memes.

Americans are the most open minded sporting fans on Earth. It's why we can support dozens of professional sports leagues in everything from football to golf to even lacrosse.

Euros are the ones who irrationally hate anything that doesn't conform to soccer's gameplay style.
>>
>>63277456
Im with you man. I like soccer, but I will never say it is my favorite sport ever, because it is the most flawed of all the sports. Sure, NFL is going crazy with penalties and commercials. MLB still sucks with video replay. And NBA is hard to find parity.

Americans go through the same faze every 4 years. Its the World Cup. Qualifier coverage. USA has a goodbye tour. People go apeshit. They buy jerseys and say they're die hard USA fans. Tweet shit like 'wow soccer is pretty cool' and 'man i cant believe i never watched this stuff, must follow the league now'. Once the cup is over they forget about soccer for the next 4 years. Sure, they know Messi and Ronaldo. But a regular season MLB game probably gets more views than a cup final, and El Clasico will get the last minute of coverage on Sportscenter. I dread to see the day the start off Sportscenter with La Liga or EPL coverage, which will never ever happen.

There's also a big problem with trying to be 'european' about it. Using words like kit, pitch or some manager getting sacked, its really fucking annoying. Jerseys. Field. Fired. Makes you look like a faggot. Plus, in my school, being a soccer player was seen as being gay tbqhwyfasdf.
>>
>>63279076

AFL still going strong over there?

Such a beautifully designed sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81e_yyo91zs
>>
ok
>>
>>63279176
>There's also a big problem with trying to be 'european' about it.

Heh.

>“It’s almost guaranteed that almost any male literary person under the age of 45 is going to be somewhat versed in soccer,” said Sean Wilsey, a writer who helped edit “The Thinking Fan’s Guide to the World Cup,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/fashion/soccer-particularly-englands-premier-league-growing-in-popularity-in-new-york-creative-circles.html
>>
>>63279183
Yes. I'm pretty sure it has a positive growth rate in most aspects, better than soccer in a lot of categories, despite being the already established football code.
>>
>>63278753
>>63278838
d-d-d-d-d-d-damage control

Think Burger King still have the half gallon bacon sundaes if you need to release some anxiety lardfriends
>>
>>63279012
Because they know it will be the most popular sport over there in like 20 - 30 years and they can't do nothing to stop it.
>>
>>63279055
you can argue just as well that hoofing it up front is attempting to get the ball knocked out of touchline by an opposing center back which allows a throw in near the penalty box.
>>
>>63277456
>The problem I have, is the noticeable lack of instant extreme game changers.
what? that makes no sense.
>>
>>63279298
>Think Burger King still have the half gallon bacon sundaes if you need to release some anxiety lardfriends

How would you know that? Speaking from experience, I assume :^)
>>
>>63279585
I mean just off the top of my head, a goal or a red card instantly changes the game, often in an extreme way.
>>
>>63279310

Won't happen.

The wall will be built.
>>
>>63279680
>red card instantly changes the game

And that's a big problem.

And yes, game changing penalties are becoming stupidly frequent in the NFL, as well.
>>
>>63279680
>>63279732
those penalties, while harsh, require the disadvantaged team to radically alter their playing style and accommodate. I think that makes it overall more challenging and thus entertaining.
>>
>>63279847

Yeah, but a player and his team shouldn't be that harshly penalized for a hard slide tackle and such.

They should do it like the NHL where the offending red carded player sits out for a few minutes, giving the other team a power play.

I agree that egregious acts like biting or targeting the groin, etc, should be met with a player ejection, but after the power play is up, the team should be able to sub.
>>
>>63280052
i don't think it was as harsh initially until a few high profile incidents of players getting their legs snapped or something equally horrific from poor slide tackles.

i just look at it as throwing one more challenge the teams way. like turning on hard mode. not necessarily disagreeing with you btw.
>>
>>63280052
>They should do it like the NHL where the offending red carded player sits out for a few minutes
It couldn't work. People would be tackling in the box far more often if their punishment was lessened that much.

However, the current system IS too harsh for a foul in the box. They call it a triple jeopardy because the player is instantly sent off, is suspended for at least 1 match following the current one, AND a penalty is given. I don't really know how to fix it while sending the message that it's a serious offense in terms of the game, though,
>>
>>63277456
>americans
>>
>>63277456
>trying to have a meaningful discussion on /sp/

not even shitposting but try reddit, only come here for 'banter' and gamethreads
>>
heres an idea if you dont like a certain sport why not just avoid it instead of trying to convince millions or in this case billions of people who enjoy it. most people who like one sport enjoy sports altogether and have tried other sports as well. at some point they decided which they liked best and there are reasons for that. if you dont get why certain sports are popular you probably just dont get the sport altogether
>>
There's less lead changes, sure, but lower scoring also means less blowouts.

Personally, I can't watch soccer because I didn't grow up with it, and thus I don't have an irrational attachment to a specific team.

If I grew up in Europe I'd love it and hate baseball, but instead I'm the opposite. Having a stake in the outcome is more important than any technical facet of the game itself.
>>
>>63280334
>>63280351
>/sp/ is for anything other than memery

think you want reddit las
>>
>>63280201
>Canadians
>relevant in any discussion, ever
>>
The strength of soccer as a spectator sport is the long buildups and releases of tension.
>>
>>63278449

>points

Go splash your face with cold water and post again

No thanks
>>
>>63280493
I enjoy euro sports as well as Norton american shit

I am superior, you cvck
>>
>>63280711
kek
>>
>>63279176

This is the comment people like to post. It makes them feel good about the fact that soccer hasn't completely taken over the american sports scene yet. As if statistic didn't exist. There are more soccer players in the us than any other organized team sport. It is a FACT.

You can cry and fart all you want but the next generation of americans will be a soccer generation. Period. Anyone who is somebody in sports know this. Investors are putting more and more money on soccer. Even espn had to accept that soccer is inevitable.


Don't be mad tho.
>>
>>63280633
This guy gets it.
>>
>Americans trying to Americanize soccer

Please pleas PLEASE DO NOT EVER LET THIS FUCKING HAPPEN! I'd rather see my ads on the perimeter fence than have the broadcast interrupted ever 2 and half minutes to try and sell me GMC Silverado F350 trucks
>>
>>63281056
>There are more soccer players in the us than any other organized team sport.

Yes. Because it is cheap, and not seen as a contact sport by mothers so they allow the kids to play. Also, what is Title IX? You know, the rule that mandates men and women must have equal percentage of participants in college (50/50 among student athletes). Since most schools have a football team that carry say 80 males. What's the biggest way to gain women in that statistic? a womens soccer team, which can carry around 25 players.

>It makes them feel good about the fact that soccer hasn't completely taken over the american sports scene yet.
As if. Im pretty sure most people would recognize Manziel, JJ Watt and Odell Beckham over Harry Kane, Diego Costa, or Luis Suarez. And dont forget the lack of coverage. On a local level, the MLS team gets a shout out like '....and the galaxy won 2-1. that does it for sports'. On a national level, a champions league semi takes the back seat to the NFL draft and playoff hockey.
>>
>>63279012
1) Gambling. Most people only watch teams outside of their favorite to keep up with fantasy football and gambling.
2) The weekly game format of the NFL, on a day when most people are off (Sunday), makes it an event that people can watch. By contrast, baseball, hockey, and basketball can always be 'watched tomorrow.'
3) The game is very structured - you have a team that is clearly on offense and a team clearly on defense. So most of the time you have a clear expectation of when your team can score, barring an exceptional turnover that leads to a touchdown. Soccer (and hockey) are more random with the ball/puck bouncing around, then suddenly there's a goal. It happens so quick and suddenly that you can easily miss it while chatting with your bros.
>>
>>63280633
So it's like edging then?
>>
>>63279006
>12 year old chart

lmbo
>>
Ok. Stick to your football, we'll stick to ours. I'm watching the Panthers vs Colts right now and I'd hardly call it exciting, give me a game of proper football over this every day of the week.
>>
>>63281229
The MLS has salary caps and all that nonsense, still gets less weekly US viewers than the Premier League
>>
>>63278449
>that would improve soccer exponentially
Shut the fuck up. Some goals from inside the area are much more difficult to score than some other blooters from outside the box.

Fuck's sake America, stick to your commercials and playoffs and shit, and leave us alone.
>>
>>63283623
Americans tend to watch games as a secuence of emotional events ( separated by AT&T, geico, doritos, etc). They can't into football because instead if mere emotions, it also requires sentiment. American sports are like movies. Football is like a novel, like life itself.
>>
>>63284517
>Football is like a novel, like life itself.
Damn, Canada, you just made me feel.
>>
Random question, soccer friends -

So, I was watching some old film on YouTube and I noticed some goal keepers like to wear caps, especially "news boys" caps, back in the day.

Any particular reason for this? Was it to block the sun? If that's the case, why didn't more players out in the field wear them?
>>
>>63284517
>american sports are flicks
>football is cinéma
>>
>>63286156
Yes it was to block the sun.
Nowadays most stadium have roofs which extend far enough so that the sun rarely blocks the sun.
>>
>>63286718
>sun rarely blocks the sun.
I'm retarded.
The roof stops the sun from blinding goalkeepers.
>>
>>63286718

>tfw you fuck up your comment and feel shame and regret, and then say "fuck it" but still think about it for hours.
>>
>>63286156
>why didn't more players out in the field wear them?
They were/are not allowed to, as you can use your head to touch the ball too.

Tbqh I don't know why goalkeepers were allowed to wear caps as, of course, they can use any part of the body. Never thought about that.
>>
>>63284517
>Americans tend to watch games as a secuence of emotional events ( separated by AT&T, geico, doritos, etc). They can't into football because instead if mere emotions, it also requires sentiment. American sports are like movies. Football is like a novel, like life itself.

I always love when Canadians get their Eurokekery going on and defend soccer as if they're a soccer loving country that "appreciates" the game just like their European Overlords.

Soccer is even more irrelevant in Canada than it is in the US. Canadians and Americans basically watch the same sports.
>>
>>63286807
>delete post function
>>
>>63286156
>>63287617
Ok so I'm bored at work (night shift my friend) and I've checked wikipedia.

Apparently, as goalkeepers are not "regular" they're allowed to wear caps, long pants, gloves, masks... But only them can do it, the other players on the field can't.
>>
>>63287949
I meant regular players. Fuck, I really need to sleep.
>>
>>63277456
nice blog /tumblr/
>>
I played soccer all my life since I was a little kid, followed clubs, constantly watched games, and sincerely enjoyed it. Started watching the NBA, football, hockey, and more recently, baseball and now soccer bores and frustrates me. 22 whiny little bitches on a field always complaining about the rules and everytime a player goes down its a dive. They aren't nearly as athletic as the American athletes. The experience of going to a live game doesn't even come close to NBA or Hockey (football tickets overpriced) and say what you want about commercial breaks but I'd much rather watch that than 5 minutes of a player crying on the floor like a bitch and then getting up and running off after the ref delivers a yellow to the opposition. The clock is fucking bullshit the ref decides how long the game is gonna last? And he never sticks to the full injury time either there's always an extra few minutes. Medieval ass FIFA REFUSES to implement a replay system which is retarded and way too many games are decided by penalties, yeah determining the winner of a soccer game with penalties is stupid as shit. I regret not playing another sport im good at soccer and I hate it now. Probably be getting into rugby soon when I get more time cause it looks exciting as hell.
>>
>>63278651
Why does this meme still exist? It's already been proven thanks to NFL replay that an NFL game without the timeouts, crowd shots, penalties, fouls, ect. is still over an hour long. That means a football game is still longer than a shitty divegrass game
>>
>>63278449
This actually makes sense. There was a time where the replies to this post are the same thing people said about the NBA thinking about putting in a 3 point line
>>
All these americans trying to ruin the perfect game. Go watch your fastfood sports then. You guys don't understand the appeal and you will never understand it.
>>
I just can't wait until they get rid of the away goals rule.
>>
File: dbz-poster.jpg (471KB, 636x890px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dbz-poster.jpg
471KB, 636x890px
>>63278277
I agreed with your whole post up until
>soccer fans are simple minded

I don't think they're "simple minded" so much as they're loyal to the sport for more involved reasons such as their country of origin, the way they were brought up, community, traditions, etc
>>
>>63286527
>flick
Basketball
>movie
American Football
>film
Futbol
>Cinéma
Baseball, the Game of Games
>>
>>63279006
Soccer has very high participation rates in Australia because It's what kids play

If you're a kid in Australia playing a team sport It's either Cricket or Soccer, usually Soccer

Some stick with soccer and that's why Australia has a relatively small but passionate fanbase, but vast majority either
a) Stop playing club team sports
b) Play AFL
c) Play Rugby

Also participlation rate is just one way of measuring it

Surely viewership and revenue would be far better ways of doing it, and for that It's AFL > NRL in close second >>>>>>>> Literally nothing of relevance for a very long way >>>>>>> Soccer > Rugby Union

Cricket is difficult to rank in regards to popularity because It simultaneously is enjoyed by pretty much all Australians, but has no relevant domestic league so It's comparing apples to oranges. Some say It's the most popular sport in Australia (But literally no one would tell you they prefer Cricket over AFL, NRL or Soccer) while others place it third behind AFL and NRL
>>
this is some bad b8 remember to sage
>>
I think everyone would like just about every sport if they developed an emotional attatchment to a team.

I mean you have sports people and then you have non-sports people. I think everyone on /sp/ or the internet sees people shitpost about their shit, and since they aren't involved they see it as mindless shit until they get into it.

I used to hate it until I followed a few of my countrymen's history in and, picked a squad to get to know and I've loved it every since.

Everyone loves shittalk and competition. It's why we are on /sp/ and it's why the board didn't put up with any of moot's shit.
>>
>>63296021
Soccer had it's chance in the early twentieth century and it blew it. It'll never become popular past children in America.
>>
>>63277456
I'm an Australian and I have a serious problem with shitposting.

That's pretty common, but it's not the memes and (You)s that get to me. It's not that 95% of /sp/ is just posting and replying. It's not the janitor's no slag posting rules, the having fun rules, the corrupt mods, the lack of determination to better the board, the no parity enforcement, the no power rankings, the fact that the janitors salary cap is 0, the promotion and relegation oof these fuckwits, the ads on the site, the /sp/ergs whinging, or even the tripfags calling themselves a decent human being like they do it just for fun. Lots of that shit is great and fun but if you think of it as part of the /sport board/ experience in Australia, which already is fucking shit anyways, then some of it is tolerable.

The problem I have, is the noticeable lack of instant extreme shitposters. In /epl/, /NFL/, and match threads the posting system used to be set up so that it was possible to go from rekking one cunt in just one post, and that can mean everything to me. Now in a matchthread if you're posting, even if a great shitpost is created the best you can get from it is either a ban or one lousy (You). With how little shitposting goes on period, this means that IP changes are just not very common, so the majority of most bans are just the same situation, either we're fucked for a week or fucked for long stretches, maybe the mods extend or shrink the ban but it doesn't just flip everything on its head very often.

That's not to say that threads need moreshitpostslel, great shitposting should be one of the valid ways to build a this board and a solid userbase. It's just that in the other boards, great shitposting can still lead to exciting threads, but because /sp/ can only shitpost one post at a time it makes it damn near impossible to evade the ban of excitement that other boards don't have unless both poster and mod just give up on moderation and go for top lels.
>>
>>63277456

If you're watching the MLS don't bother.

No character within any of the clubs. Yet.

You go watch Real Madrid vs Barcelona and you may finally get 'it'.
>>
I'm an American and my main problem is that Neymar fellas shitty hair
>>
>>63279732
>there are no game-changers!!!!!
>b-b-but that game changer is a biiiig problem!!!!!
>>
>>63277456
Americans literally watch the game wrong. Once you get over the fact it's not the same as other sports, you can appreciate it better

Please watch vid related

http://youtu.be/qT3PElHuxCY
>>
>>63277456
Has op never watched a game of football before or basing his opinions based on stereotypes or what he imagines football to be like?

>no game changers
Yeah, because no team has ever gone on to win from a losing position. Ever.

Can't even be bothered to discredit the other points
>>
>>63295485
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_clock
Getting ready to play is not playing.
>>
>>63296229
>Americans literally watch the game wrong.

There's nothing present in soccer (from a core gameplay standpoint) that there isn't in hockey.

From the vid's comments:

>Problem with soccer is, everything that's pointed out in this video, while true and fair enough, is also true of hockey, but hockey is much faster, physical, and exciting. Tactically, soccer and hockey are largely identical, but hockey takes place on a relatively small rink, with players on ice skates moving relatively very fast, and a puck in place of a ball hit with sticks in place of legs. For all these reasons, hockey is far more compelling, even while sharing the same basic strategy.

I give soccer points over hockey in goal scoring variation and "aesthetics," but what turns Americans (and I guess Australians and Canadians) off of soccer is:

>Diving
>Penalty kicks deciding games
>Penalty shootouts deciding games (although those exist in hockey, but at least the player has to skate up and make a move to generate a good shot
>Low comeback and "rally" factor and not enough of a punch-counterpunch dynamic with the scoring. Too many games end in 1-0, 2-1, etc. To put into words, "Soccer games end in too many one punch knockouts."

Not shitting on the sport, but it doesn't have to do with watching it wrong. If you've watched a lot of hockey and basketball, you can pick up on soccer's tactics and attacking building pretty easily.
>>
>>63277456

> americans trying to desconstruct football

INTO THE TRASH IT GOES!
>>
despite all the memery, there are a few core issues with modern soccer

I say this as someone who's played since like, 5

1. no salary caps. this unbearably fucks competitiveness across the board. continental soccer has been shit for AGES specifically because of this

2. diving. I stopped playing football because of this alone. you challenge some faggot for possession, and he just dives. and then does. not. get. up. it gets progressively worse as you move up from amateur to pro

3. no replays for goals. fuck fifa with their "muh flow"

4. generally dickless reffing. im actually impressed when I watch nfl, and the refs give no shits. in any major soccer game, it's always players crowding the ref/stalling/etc

5. corruption. fuck fifa x2
>>
>>63296563
is this the same place where the water events for the olympics will be held
>>
File: edp.gif (4MB, 406x264px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
edp.gif
4MB, 406x264px
>watching soccer
>>
File: 1446118616054.gif (271KB, 350x350px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446118616054.gif
271KB, 350x350px
>>63277456
>>63277463
>>
>herp derp durr I dun lik soccer where mah high score lines at

Then don't watch it
>>
File: 1444836111135.jpg (567KB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1444836111135.jpg
567KB, 4000x4000px
>>63296576
You would have to make salary caps for every single league in the UEFA on same level which is impossible due to different currencies in some countries and a huge lobby from the richest clubs. It just wont happen but I wish it could.
Now teams from leagues like Polish don't stand a chance against anything from BPL/Bundes because one player in top 5 leagues is worth more than a whole team in poorer leagues.
>>
>>63296576
>4. generally dickless reffing. im actually impressed when I watch nfl, and the refs give no shits. in any major soccer game, it's always players crowding the ref/stalling/etc
I somehow ran into videos about this guy today: Nigel Owens, a rugby referee. I feel like you might appreciate his work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoBNFOxlQM
>>
File: d.jpg (15KB, 500x375px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
d.jpg
15KB, 500x375px
>that flag
>those posts
>>
>>63296598
>being black
>>
>>63296635
more or less exactly. its so entrenched now that you'd need an overhaul of the entire system


>>63296636
thanks brah, that's how it should be
>>
>>63296651
i didnt put mfw
>>
here, fixed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vJn5XxWg9U
>>
>>63296726
USAians
>muh statistics
>>
>>63296635
If there's something I like about divegrass, it's the fact that it's an international sport. You have teams from all over the world playing against each other. I wish we could have something like that for our sports leagues, we'd still be the best of course, but it'd be interesting to see the Lakers going against the best team from Germany or something like that.
>>
>>63286527
football is kino
>>
>>63296879
there's Olympic basketball, faggit.

LeBron and Curry will play together.
>>
>>63277456
>>63277463
didn't read lol

It's funny hwo americlaps keep making these "sawker is shit" threads while the rest of the world simply doesn't give a fuck about American sports and take it as a given that they're boring and designed to shove commercials down viewers' throats and don't even feel the need to discuss it on /sp/.
>>
this is why you need people to bully you from time to time, it teaches dumb and weak faggots like OP to shut the fuck up once in a while.
>>
>>63296879
The Spurs lost to Alba Berlin last year senpai.
>>
>>63287617
>>63286718
>>63287949
>>63288018

Thanks, guys. I'm not an expect or a huge soccer enthusiast, but I do have a respect for the history and tradition that comes along with the game. I think professional, American sports culture could learn a few things from our European brothers and I think you see some of that (i.e. the deep comradery) at college sporting events.

I also have a deep respect for the announcer Kenneth Wolstenholme ("They think it's all over!) Great voice, excellent enthusiasm. Really seemed to love the game.

Any other great announcers you guys would suggest?
>>
>>63277456
>>63277463
Nobody cares what you think
>>
>>63286156
Some fields' length were oriented in East-West direction. FIFA later required every pitch to be North-South so that the sun doesn't hinder vision.
>>
>this fag
>this post
>>
I don't like any sport that can end in a tie tbqh pham
>>
The whole "nothing happens" is just the perfect encapsulation of "muricans are dumb", and it's all the more amazing because you guys say it so frequently and remain oblivious to the fact that you're basically saying "look how fucking stupid I am."

You are essentially saying that you are not only incapable of enjoying something other than a goal (ie ACTION) but aren't even capable of watching something and processing that things are happening that everyone else can see and appreciate and enjoy but you, cos you're just so darned fucking dumb.

Something is happening constantly. Teams are set up in different formations to suit their opponent. You can admire whether a team keeps the ball on the ground and plays it out from the back or plays more directly. Do they play through the midfield or with wingers? Do they value possession or organisation?

You're essentially saying you are incapable of understanding what is happening in a game of chess unless it's one piece knocking another off the board. The whole other time it's just two guys sat staring at each other, right?
>>
>>63297230
Yeah, I think I read something about that on FIFA's website. Not sure if it's a requirement, but I think they strongly encourage it and I can see why.

Still, I kinda like the look. Sort of reminds you soccer is, at its core, a school grounds game.

Did Latin American goal keepers wear those caps back in the day, too, Brazilfriend?
>>
>i'm an american

stopped reading right there
>>
>>63297284
Donovan McNabb pls go
>>
>>63277456
>It's not that 95% of the game is just jogging
stopped reading right there
go play a football match yourself and try not to get exhausted after 5 minutes you fat slob
>>
>>63297353
Do you also enjoy watching people run a marathon?
>>
>>63297362
no
>>
>>63297353
I'm not in shape but I could lightly jog around for two 45 minute intervals.
>>
>>63297298
It may be, never noticed.
>>
Rugby is "similar" to American sports and you still don't play it. You know why? The same reason why you don't play soccer, because other nations play it and you know you can't defeat us. You take the easy way and play sports only played in your country so you can claim you are world champions at something
>>
>>63297647

If Americans intentionally avoid international sports, then how do we dominate the Olympics every time?
>>
>>63297784
Because the olympics are amateur games, not professional sports

The USA is literally the only country that invests money in what was supossed to be amateur, of course you will win
>>
>>63297794

But you said that the US didn't care about sports that other countries play because we're afraid that we'll lose. That doesn't make any sense, since we dominate the world's biggest international sports competition.
>>
>>63297784
>muh swimming
>muh running
>>
>>63297811
the world cup is the worlds biggest international sports competition m8
>>
>>63297794
>Because the olympics are amateur games, not professional sports

Basketball, boxing, cricket, cycling, golf, rugby....
>>
>>63297811
>That doesn't make any sense, since we dominate the world's biggest international sports competition.
That would be the male football world cup
>>
If it's soccer I have no interest in watching or playing, it's that simple.
>5'5 120lbs player dominates a sport
Wow excellent sport, I wonder why Americans aren't interested in watching
>>
>>63297824
Basketball is the only one that isn't amateur from your list

Are cricket and golf Olympic sports? Didnd't know that
>>
>>63297825

You didn't answer my question, though. If Americans intentionally avoid international sports, then how does the US do so well at so many different international sports?
>>
>>63297836
You are only good at basketball (and pretty much only Americans play this sport, Phillipines and Serbia don't count)
>>
>>63297834
>Basketball is the only one that isn't amateur from your list

Boxing, cycling, and rugby are all professional sports. And so is soccer, which is also an Olympic sport.
>>
>>63297824
cricket was only played in the olympics once in 1900 or some shit, and it was only between England and fucking France
>>
>>63297846
"soccer" in the olympics use u20 players, ergo amateur
boxing uses amateur boxers
rugby is played by 7s, ergo amateur
>>
>>63297841
>You are only good at basketball

I guess those 103 medals that the US won at the 2012 Olympics were all in basketball then
>>
>>63297834
what? literally every single one of those are professional sports
>>
>>63297859
How dense are you? Most of them are at athletism and swimming, which are amateur acticity
>>
>>63297866
see >>63297858

The sport is amateur but the competition isn't
>>
>>63297858
>"soccer" in the olympics use u20 players, ergo amateur

That's not how it works. Most of those players are being paid by a club, ergo professional.

>boxing uses amateur boxers
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/04/01/olympic-boxing-will-welcome-professionals-games-rio-janeiro/aBeXad1CALpO0USqfJ9QYP/story.html

>rugby is played by 7s, ergo amateur

So professional players aren't allowed?
>>
>>63297874
7s is a complete different sport, I seriously doubt any nation has professional athletes here (considering this semi-sport is dominated by africans)

You are proving my point, boxing will turn professional; it's still amateur
>>
>>63297867

They're still sports, though. You said this:

>>63297647
>You take the easy way and play sports only played in your country so you can claim you are world champions at something

That's completely wrong. There is not a single Olympic sport that is only played in the United States. Hell, none of the major sports in the United States are only played in the United States.
>>
>>63297884
>taking everything in the literal way
Are you a real autist?
>>
>>63297859

Nah, they don't count because Americans won them
>>
>>63297902
>thinking that the word "sports" means "sports"

You got me. Total autist right here.
>>
>>63297906
>Americans won them
Oh, you were counting the medals of the whole American continent!
>>
File: 1358983898001.jpg (48KB, 600x557px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1358983898001.jpg
48KB, 600x557px
>>63277456
>>63277463
>>
>>63297647
>thinking that all Americans have agreed to avoid playing soccer for fear of losing at it
>thinking that soccer just isn't popular here because other sports got popular here first, just like in Canada and Australia

I thought Argentines were supposed to be the smart latinos
>>
>>63297919
>Not having Hemispherical pride
You are the worst kind of person desu
>>
>>63297919
>Oh, you were counting the medals of the whole American continent!

No, I was counting the United States. In English, "American" is used to refer to the United States.
>>
> Deciding who win by penalties is random
> NFL overtime not
>>
>>63297945
Sorry, my English is quite poor. How do you call the people from the Americas as a whole?

People from Finland and Italy are European, people from Japan and Iran are Asian. People from Argentina and the USA are...?
>>
>>63297960

People from Argentina are South Americans. People from the USA are North Americans.
>>
>>63297960
>How do you call the people from the Americas as a whole?

What do you call the people from Africa and Asia as a whole?
>>
>>63297973
It's like saying people from Finland are North Europeans and people from Italy are South Europeans but they don't have a common term

Is English your first language faam?
>>
>>63297991
Non-European Old worlders
>>
>>63297992

North America and South America are considered two different continents by most people in the world (US, China, India, pretty much all English-speaking countries, Japan, etc.).
>>
>>63298018
The Russians do it too, but they consider Europe and Asia to be one continent.
>>
>>63297992
You're dumb
>>
>>63298018
>implying Americans know in which continent is Guatemala located
>>
didnt read lol
>>
>>63298041

Everyone knows it's in North America.
>>
>>63281056
2% of Americans consider soccer their favorite sport.
>>
>>63298052
That's more than the whole Uruguayan population and you still suck at it

What's your excuse?
>>
>>63298041
Central America is part of the north American continent. Duh.
>>
>>63298067

Those 2% are mostly upper-class hipsters in their late 20s and early 30s.
>>
>>63298067

Lack of decent coaches and general interest in the sport. Soccer is number 1 in Uruguay by a ridiculous margin, every kid who plays sports wants to be a soccer player and their whole sports infrastructure is geared towards soccer. It's completely different in the US.
>>
File: confused pablo.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
confused pablo.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>63298068
>Central America is part of the north American continent
>>
>>63298082
Are you seriously suggesting Uruguay has a better soccer infrastructure than the USA?
>>
>>63298086
It is pham
>>
>>63298086

Central America is a region, not a continent. North America can be split into 3 regions, more or less (using the UN Geoscheme here)

>Northern America: Canada and the US

>Central America: Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador

>Caribbean: Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Haiti, various tiny island nations
>>
>>63298086
it is tbf
>>
>>63298093

No, just that America's sports infrastructure virtually ignores soccer while Uruguay's focuses on it completely.
>>
>>63298118
>North America is a continent but Central America is just a region
It doesn't make any sense. Well, Americans also think Australia is a continent
>>
>200 (you)s

This thread should have ended with just 1 (one) reply

Either

>TF;TT

or

>Nice blog

Please dont be faggot-enablers
>>
>>63284517
This is true just look at the intro of this match (0:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgWme11yvw
They think that this is some sort of Michael Bay movie, you can even hear a fucking eagle in the distance
>>
>>63298139
Pham, youre making a phool of yourselph.

Geographically CA is an extension of the NA landmass. Only for political reasons is considered different
>>
>>63298139
Do you say dumb shit on purpose or are you literally retarded?
>>
>>63287636
yuroboos are the fucking worst
>>
>>63298145
This.
>>
>>63298093

Uruguay focuses hard on soccer despite how great the American soccer program is.

Soccer in the US is largely seen as a pre-teen sport that people eventually transition to the big 3 from

> Whole team was 43-6 over 4 years
> Never won state in Texas, but usually made to the second/third round consistently

>Everyone dropped it instantly for baseball after turning 11-12
>>
>>63298145
>thread has 200 replies
>38 yous
ayyy
>>
>>63277456
Not my top sport, but I do love that it not tons of commercials.
>>
>>63278537
this. penalty kicks are a joke. they should only ever be awarded if a player is prohibited from taking a shot on goal in a one on one situation with the goalie. i.e. breakaways.
>>
>Be American
>Kick Penalty
>Goes over the bar
>Celebrates
>>
>>63280153

It doesn't need fixing, why should a team who have just denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, not be punished severely?
>>
>>63295545
I understand the appeal but the game is far, far from perfect.
The lack of replay, penalty kicks are retarded, the bullshit amounts of added time, the diving, the crying,the time wasting. And then there's the corruption, but that's another story.
I don't really mind ties but it is a bit annoying when a team plays specifically for a tie.
>>
>>63280633
Exactly and American football is like cumming as many times in an allotted time and at the end feeling accomplished or shame
>>
>>63298118
>Mexico
>central America
Lmao
>>
How did this weak "bait" get any replies. What happened to /sp/, anons?
>>
>>63299009

Mexico could be considered central or northern desu. The UN puts you guys in Central America.
>>
>>63298479

2:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8
>>
>>63298847
>penalty kicks are retarded
'no'

There is literally nothing wrong with diving, crying and wasting time
>>
>>63277456
>or even the teams calling themselves clubs like they do it just for fun
wat?
>>
>>63299119

>Manchester United: Super rich, everyone loves them or hates them
>Dallas Cowboys
>Liverpool: Used to be good, haven't won a title in a really long time
>Also Dallas Cowboys

lmao
>>
>>63299119
>0:50
Wait, Americans hating ties is more than just a /sp/ meme?
>>
>>63297294
>You're essentially saying you are incapable of understanding what is happening in a game of chess unless it's one piece knocking another off the board. The whole other time it's just two guys sat staring at each other, right?
lemme see your chinky face when this applies to 75% of the complaints about the NFL
>>
>>63299156

It's a joke, the character is meant to be a stereotypical Texas football coach. But yes, we really don't like ties. For all of the major sports, there's a certain period of extra time that has to be played first before a game is declared a tie. And I think baseball literally has no limit on how many extra innings you can have, so theoretically a game could go on forever.
>>
File: itsok.jpg (61KB, 598x522px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
itsok.jpg
61KB, 598x522px
ITT: tl;dr
>>
>>63299201
Basketball and playoff hockey can also go indefinitely senpai
>>
>>63299247
>playoff hockey
nah, they go to penalties kickoff
>>
>>63299156
People like ties?
>>
>>63299269
It's better than an underserved victory imo
>>
>>63299265
No shootout in the playoffs onii-chan
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe7k6qithAI

Reminder that hockey is the best sport in the world.
>>
>>63296146
>Neymar
he's gone back to the classic
>>
>>63299312
Oh, you were talking about ice hockey, not the real one
>>
>>63299247
playoff hockey has an infinite series of 20 minute overtimes, I have watched a 6 hour game before.

Regular season hockey has a 5 minute 3-on-3 overtime and then a shootout after that.
>>
>>63277456
So much freedom in one post.
>>
>>63278740
>PKs
>roster
>>
>>63279310
Jesus Christ, I swear I'll an hero before that happens.

Enjoy the London Jaguars in a few years, lads.
>>
>>63299367
What's wrong
>>
>I'm an American and I have a serious problem with watching soccer.
>rest is tl;dr
>250 replies already and going strong

guys, when will you learn?

>that flag
>this topic
>>
File: yes...you.gif (2MB, 359x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
yes...you.gif
2MB, 359x360px
>>63281658
>Im pretty sure most people would recognize Manziel, JJ Watt and Odell Beckham over Harry Kane, Diego Costa, or Luis Suarez.

you are really really funny
>>
>>63279310
>TF;TT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6z7-u7EZ1g
>>
File: 175978932.jpg (40KB, 565x607px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
175978932.jpg
40KB, 565x607px
>>63277456
I for one am glad the sport doesn't rely on a single meme moment that allows a shittier team to win. That's a gripe I sometimes have with basketball and especially football but I also do find it entertaining at times.
>>
>>63299567

He's not wrong. Almost nobody in America knows who Kane, Costa, or Suarez are. The only soccer players that most Americans would recognize are Messi, Ronaldo, and Beckham.
>>
>>63299576
>I for one am glad the sport doesn't rely on a single meme moment that allows a shittier team to win.

Soccer games rely on meme moments that allow shittier teams to win all the time.

>One team dominates the entire game
>Inferior team gets a lucky goal
>Parks the bus
>Wins
>>
>>63299338
>Oh, you were talking about ice hockey, not the real one

What other kind of hockey is there? Roller hockey?
>>
File: 0HV9iJM.jpg (54KB, 605x454px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
0HV9iJM.jpg
54KB, 605x454px
>>63295414
nice story bro
>>
I can't believe this got more than 5 replies
>>63277456
>>
File: habif2.jpg (193KB, 1006x1600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
habif2.jpg
193KB, 1006x1600px
>>63299644
Hockey
>>
>>63298086
>>63298139
full retard
>>
>>63299682
>Becoming a hunchback, the sport.
>>
>>63299682
Too much ankle
>>
>>63299711
Piss off mate, Colombia is shit at all sports, you shouldn't be allowed to post in this board
>>
File: 1421663377795.gif (1MB, 250x141px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1421663377795.gif
1MB, 250x141px
>>63297331
rare
>>
>>63299732
Better than having a hunchback, ese
>>
File: 777.jpg (109KB, 800x1215px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
777.jpg
109KB, 800x1215px
>>63299793
Neither do hockey players...
>>
>>63299594
In almost any part of the world, JJ Watts, Manziel and even Roethlisberger can walk around town without even being recognized.
Maybe Brady because his wife is hot and famous.

As for a Suarez, you have no idea how many people would instantly recognize these rat teeth, same for this ugly fucker Costa.

Kane is pretty young and new so no wonder
>>
>>63299883

He was talking about in the US, not all over the world. In the US, nobody knows who Suarez, Costa, or Kane are.
>>
>>63299869
Holy shit, that albino orc in the left

How can you be so pale and still not white

>>63299883
Costa looks very generic tbf. He's just a random landscaper for the untrained eye
>>
>>63299913
>How can you be so pale and still not white
Because they are Jewish
>>
>hurr durr Americunt thinking he can fix futbol lol

If Americans were actually allowed to change the game it really would be exponentially better.
>>
i think sp is addicted to b8
>>
>>63299910
Still

Beckham is known, Penaldo and such are all recognized in the Us.
As for United states athletes, besides Phelps or maybe... I cant even think of anyone else, no one knows them outside of the United states, even if they are supposed to be the best.

I personally know them because Ive played handegg, but otherwise, if compared, Pro soccer players are more known in the Us than Us pros anywhere else than in the Us
>>
>>63299985
>everything is bait
>h-haha I-I was only p-pretending to be stupid
>>
>>63299910
Football is by far the most popular sport in Argentina and I'm quite sure +95% of us doesn't know who Kane is
>>
>>63300031
don't**
>>
At least there is a real international competition after which you can really say you are a world champion
>>
>OP makes reasonable, logical post about the stagnant nature of povertyball
>rest of the thread full of foreigners screaming like the under-developed monkeys they are, bitter at the thought of real football because the egg shape of the ball reminds them of the food they haven't had in weeks

Success breeds jealousy, I guess.
>>
>>63300031
Is because he plays without the mask m8

>>63300129
TF;TT
>>
the problem is you're comparing athletics to sports, all American 'spots' are just disguised athletics competitions, in team sports you'll always get boring games were both sides cancel each-other out, the only solution is to remove all the strategy, tactics and skill and make it about an easily achievable objective that can be reached by running fast/being strong/ jumping high
>>
>>63300135
Juan Bayron Kevin Macedo, you are on a shitposting spree
>>
>>63300129
>>63300129
Hurr durr we a are rich
Capitalism rulez
Go commercial go
>>
didn't read lol
>>
>>63299999
the williams sisters are quite famous, most people know them. I think there were more famous american athletes before though.
>>
>>63300139
>soccer
>strategy

Parking the bus does not count.
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>63300473
So it wouldn't count as a 'play'?
>>
>>63301272
Your whole sport is an excuse for manlets to feel better about themselves.

I have more respect for jockeys.
>>
>>63278537
This I can agree with, they should only be awarded if an absolute clear cut goal was prevented and if a player is found to be diving in penalty area they should be instantly red carded
>>
>>63300129
So sad but true
What a bunch of savages lmao they can't handle the truth
>>
>>63277456
Not necessarily true. One goal in soccer means a lot. There are some great games where the underdogs have won by scoring just in the last minutes. Think about a team leading 1-0 for 80 minutes, then the other team equalizes to 1-1. Now, the last ten minutes is a battle for the game-changing goal. In many sports the point difference might be so radical, that a team won't have a chance of equalizing/winning in the last minutes.

I could refer to atleast Turkey-Croatia in Euro 2008, watch the latter part.
>>
>>63301397
I asked a fairly simple question. That was no answer.
>>
>>63303948
It would count as a play. However devoid your sport is of strategy. It would count.

Pathetic.
>>
>>63304125
>It would count as a play.
Alright, cheers.
>>
>>63303948
Brady V Manning come November 29th. What do you have as an equivalent?
>>
>>63304186
I don't actually care for these kind of pissing matches, I was asking a direct question and you deflected like a child. There were many other posts which were negative towards American Football, a sport I have no time for whatsoever, maybe reply to them instead.
>>
>>63304241
First of all, you are all too mad.

Second, I don't care enough to rebut.
>>
this thread is fucking special
>>
>>63304241
and this guy is retarded if you don't think there's strategy in american sports that can overcome superior athleticism. There's a reason blake griffin isn't the best NBA player and the Houston defense isn't GOAT.
>>
File: 1422118611112.jpg (247KB, 1024x959px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1422118611112.jpg
247KB, 1024x959px
>>63277456
>I'm an american
stopped reading right there lmfao
>>
Can this thread reach 500 replies? How many more yuros and spics will be baited by this weak shit?
>>
>>63304186
I've never much cared for this kind of match-up. Brady and Manning are quarterbacks for opposing teams. They will never meet. Brady will never intercept one of Manning's passes. Yeah, it's two of the best taking turns showing what they can do, but it's them against the defences.

On Sunday the 8th, the Brits will have Tottenham v Arsenal. The north London rivals are 2nd and 5th in the league, and they have the 2nd and 3rd-best goal differentials. This will be Harry Kane, England's rising star striker, against Petr Cech, that guy you remember because he wears the rugby helmet and he's still one of the best despite being a million years old. The midfield is full of players I've actually heard of, going up against other players I've heard of. This is gonna be good.
>>
>>63305971
>this guy is retarded if you don't think there's strategy in american sports that can overcome superior athleticism

You must have quoted the wrong person in your low blood sugar-induced haze as I clearly said nothing of the sort, nor would I. I simply asked whether 'parking the bus' was a legitimate play.
>>
>>63306147
I love how you insulted up a generic shit storm.

Yet a hot take, let alone a reasonable opinion, was all too lacking.
>>
At which point do you call mercy?

My god.

I feel bad now.
>>
>>63306070
this
>>
>>63304186
Well there is the el clasico, the most watched league game in any league in any sport in the world
>>
File: henk.png (246KB, 500x375px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
henk.png
246KB, 500x375px
>I'm an American and I've tried to watch soccer
Fucking commies
>>
>>63306572
>el clasico

As good as that may be.

Nope. Not even close.

The Messi Ronoldo rivalry is good, but is it great?
>>
>>63277456
>I'm an American

It seems hundreds of millions of people have this problem nowadays. Hang in there buddy, you're not alone!
>>
>>63306635
Picture Messi signing with Bayern & sucking dick.

Picture that same rivalry still having resonance.
>>
>>63306635
It has nothing to do with the rivalry of two players which doesnt even exist, only the media created it for more hype. Its the teams and the fanbases that have rivalry. Barcelona against madrid, the independence seeking catalonia against the control of the government. Players come and go but this match will always be spectacular. Btw i have never seen a bad clasico in my life, try it just once its nothing like other soccer matches, it oozes with tension and entertainment
>>
I've seen Americans non-ironically on /sp/ saying they'd switch teams if Brady left the Patriots and know people who have done similar things. They seem to favour personal success stories to team success.
>>
>>63306825
Boston V New York > The entity of Spain

Lest Eli actually stumble to the Superb 'Owl.
>>
>>63307193
Whatever floats your boat buddy, ill watch the clasico and the broncos pats, its your loss
>>
>>63306958
>>seem to favor personal success

Is that really so surprising, given the composition of the US? We're culturally, socially, racially, and politically diverse, with parts of the country having greater differences than some entire nations relative to each other (barring language differences of course). It means almost nothing, for better or worse, to be American. Where heterogeneity overtakes homogeneity, look for dedication to groups over individuals to decline.
>>
>>63307804
No it's not surprising, nor do I mean it as an insult if it came off that way, it's just an indication that our sports are so vastly different because we appreciate them differently.
>>
Have fun watching 3 hours of Bud Light commercials faggot
>>
>>63297647
>Rugby is "similar" to American sports and you still don't play it. You know why? The same reason why you don't play soccer, because other nations play it and you know you can't defeat us.

Bullshit.

Rugby had a minor following in Northern California in the 1900-20s.

A team of COLLEGE kids composed from that region managed to defeat a World Champion Australian Team and beat a Rugby power in France in back-to-back in the Olympics.

They only got crushed by the All Blacks, who also crushed Australia, England, and everyone else during that period, so the US wasn't unique.

Soccer? First World Cup, we finished 3rd. Granted, that competition was only 13 teams deep, but we finished higher than France, Belgium, Brazil, etc.

And since when are tennis, golf, boxing, ice hockey (we're not dominant there, but competitive), volleyball (a few world titles there), etc, etc American sports?

Every time a foreigner uses "they play their own sports because they can't win at world sports!" I interpret it as, "We know they would be successful if they continued development of their Rugby (not really a world sport) and Soccer programs."
>>
>>63300139
>all American 'spots' are just disguised athletics competitions, in team sports you'll always get boring games were both sides cancel each-other out, the only solution is to remove all the strategy, tactics and skill and make it about an easily achievable objective that can be reached by running fast/being strong/ jumping high

Why do Bongs believe this?

The most "athletic teams" never, ever win in the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB.

>NBA

The most successful teams of the 80's were the Lakers and Celtics. The Lakers indeed played a fast breaking style, but the only athletic horse on that team was James Worthy. They had average athletes by NBA standard everywhere else. They won by the superiority of their system (strategy/tactics) and skills (passing, post play if the game slowed down to a half court game. Magic and Kareem were very good in the post)

And the Celtics played "old man ball." Basically won by being smarter and craftier than other teams.

Jordan? Didn't win shit until Phil Jackson came in and implemented the Triangle offense. Yes, Jordan was a freak athlete, but was also highly skilled and had the best fundamentals in the league.

Spurs play a similar old man ball style and have been the most successful team over the past 20 years.

NFL:

This is not even worth writing paragraphs for. Anyone who isn't brain dead knows the smarter and more skilled teams win more.

MLB:

Jordan was the greatest athlete of the 90's. Couldn't help him hit a minor league curveball. Jumping high and running fast also won't help you throw and catch accurately or hit well. That is 100% skill based.

NHL:

Wayne Gretzky. Small by NHL standards. Not particularly a fast skater. Didn't have a powerful slapshot, but became the best player in history through superior tactical vision and skills.

Bongs are so fucking retard, it defies logic. Well maybe not, considering all the inbreeding.
>>
>>63310909
any country could be good at pretty much any sport with the adequate program (with some exceptions here and there of course).
>>
>>63311426
>adequate program

Of course, but the US institutes better programs than any other country. And that is easier said than done.

Many foreign Olympians and other sportsmen come here to train, attend college on athletic scholarships.

And we were developing a soccer program in the form a domestic professional league, but FIFA politicking killed it and soccer interest died soon after. Had nothing to do with, "Hurr durr, we can't beat the mighty foreigners, better stick to baseball and American football."
>>
>>63310909

>golf, boxing, ice hockey, volleyball

Meme sports

>I interpret it as "We know they would be successful if they continued development of their Rugby (not really a world sport) and Soccer programs."

And I interpret that as "one day we will be absolutely dominant if we continue our development program and then c.uck the entire world forever and ever. All Murica will bandwagon our boys when that happens!"

Which is incredibly funny because there's no magic trick that does that, Murica san, there's no assured victory, no permanent superiority, no 'we're so much better and undefeatable by everybody else'.
>>
>>63311620
>FIFA politicking

If anyone is interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Soccer_League_(1921%E2%80%9333)

^^^Was the second most popular pro sports league in the US at the team, but...

>However, the Soccer Wars had permanently crippled the ASL and it collapsed at the end of the 1933 spring season. Ironically, while USFA and FIFA "won" the wars and established their pre-eminence over the ASL, the spectacle of a U.S. athletic association conspiring with a European organization to undermine a U.S. athletic league alienated many U.S. sports fans by creating an image of soccer as a sport controlled by foreigners. These fans turned their backs on soccer, relegating the sport to the position of a minor league, ethnic-based sport for decades to come.
>>
>>63311701
>Meme sports

"My country sucks at them, so they're meme sports."

Oh, wanna compare tennis majors? Your whole tennis history basically starts and ends with Nadal.
>>
it is funny that to pass the illusion that american sports are deep they throw around meanless stats and circle themselves with commentators

when a sport that has basically 10% of causing brain injuries to a teen is glorified, and no one does anything to decrease this percentage
>>
>>63311701
>absolutely dominant

Oh, and successful doesn't mean dominant. No country can ever dominate soccer. Too many people play it.

But I do I think we would have won 1 or 2 World Cups had soccer continue to develop from the 1900s when it was actually a popular sport here?

I think it's more than likely.
>>
>>63311764

I didn't include tennis among the obvious meme sports. We've had more than Nadal though, both in men and women tennis.

Also, your men tennis relevance died a long time ago with Sampras.
>>
>>63277456
>>63277463
>>63278244
>>63278277
>>63278537
>>63278740
If you dont like it
Don't watch it
bam I just fixed it
>>
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
>>
>>63311833

>it's more than likely

Being good, even being incredibly good, doesn't get you the World Cup lad. Or any other international competition btw lad. There's more to it in this.
>>
>>63311928
>men tennis

No. The Bryan Brothers are the most dominant doubles team of the decade and are considered by many to be the best men's doubles team in history.

>Doubles
>Relevant

Their 25 million dollars in total prize money won say otherwise.
.
>>
>>63312101

Recipe for sporting success:

Money, which leads to building infrastructure, + athletic talent pool to draw from + sport being culturally important.

The history of the game actually goes back further in the US than it does in Spain. We had soccer professional leagues around the same time Spain played its first official game.

If the game maintained the cultural relevance it had in those days combined with our population and ability to build sporting infrastructure, the US would be a soccer power right now.

You think I'm speaking from US arrogance? No. Just logic. Spain has always been an athletic country, once a basketball afterthought in International competition, but the game has taken hold over there in the past 15 years, which has led to cultural relevance + money for infrastructure, and lo and behold, Spain is a basketball power.

It isn't rocket science, my friend.
>>
>>63311620
>Many foreign Olympians and other sportsmen come here to train, attend college on athletic scholarships.
that's not comparable to football, there is tons of infrastructure and professional leagues pretty much everywhere.
>>
>>63312411

I was talking specifically about soccer, just saying that building sporting infrastructure for not just one sport, but a variety of sports, is easier said than done.

Not many countries have the land space, variable climate (ex, Australia doesn't have the climate to build a top tier Winter Sports infrastructure) , GDP, etc to build the kind of programs we have here.
>>
>>63312635
>I was

*I wasn't
>>
>>63304186
That is fucking retarded. I know shit about cushionbump but dont they play the exact same position and would never have any effect on each other? That would be like getting excited because Neuer and buffon were goalkeeping against each other.

Maybe tennis is the sport for you.
>>
>>63280633
>>63280633
This. It's why counter-attack goals are GOAT, and set piece goals are shit tier.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 24


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.