[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Your dad asks you what you're studying >You tell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1496791324668.png (780KB, 937x912px) Image search: [Google]
1496791324668.png
780KB, 937x912px
>Your dad asks you what you're studying
>You tell him you're studying abstract mathematical concepts like topology that apply to all areas of knowledge
>He chuckles and says "yep I'm sure son, show me"
>You open "Concepts of Modern Mathematics" by Ian Stewart, i.e. babby's first math book to show him what's up
>Randomly open to a page without looking and show it to him
>You then realize it's page 156 and you're pointing at pic related
>Your dad looks disappointed in you beyond measure, walks off shaking his head
>"I've raised a retard"

How do you convince normies that math is something legitimate and important, the ultimate intellectual discipline, without dumbing it down so much (so that can understand it) that it seems stupid and trivial to them?
>>
>>9172926
If this is what I think this is why didn't he use a kiwi or some other vaguely spherical hairy object as an example?
>>
>>9172937
Because that wouldn't be funny.
>>
>>9172926

Math isn't important, its something you are doing as a form of intellectual masturbation to differentiate yourself from other humans and bolster your self-worth. Want to earn money? Bullshitters are making millions this moment. Want to contemplate the deeper questions of reality? Math can only ever uncover quantitative relations, never qualitative ones. Want to find happiness? Drugs, fanatical belief in Christianity, or living as a peasant in the Siberian Taiga will bring you more fulfillment.
>>
In my own mathlet experience I know the cardinal importance of Math, I just don't give a fuck about advanced subjects as yours.
I know a girl who won Math Olympics at High School and easily entered University to study pure math. She abandoned it because she was creeped out, everyone was spending their whole weak just doing Math and literally nobody talked to anyone or made friends in the classes.
>>
>>9172997
>She abandoned it because she was creeped out, everyone was spending their whole weak just doing Math and literally nobody talked to anyone or made friends in the classes.
I-i-is that not w-what y-you're supposed to d-do...?
>>
>>9172997
dumb roastie
>>
>>9172926
I don't know if this is even worth the effort. I think that people who appreciate math will appreciate math. People who won't will go to TED talks to listen to applied mathematicians talk about the collatz conjecture with no substance at all.

Also, I think it is important to know our place. I know your story is a joke, but it would be cringy to actually see a mathematician in the real world try to justify mathematics by its applications. Just say "I do it to have fun".
>>
>>9173177
Only a child cares about looking cringey. Grow some balls jesus. Youre the cringe here.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.