[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we use a base infinity number system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

File: sugar-09.jpg (116KB, 1024x750px) Image search: [Google]
sugar-09.jpg
116KB, 1024x750px
Why don't we use a base infinity number system?
>>
>>9171247
I don't know why don't you just end your life
>>
Can u elaborate?
>>
>>9171283
Instead of 11 we have a number that comes after 10. Sort of like how the number that comes after 9 isn't nine-1 but 10.
>>
>>9171283

instead of adding an extra digit, we just keep inventing more symbols.

so counting would go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, etc. Until we run out of letters, then we start using Emojis. Once we run out of those we just keep inventing new symbols. Just as long as we don't add another digit we'll be fine
>>
>>9171289
One of the big advantages is that you would only need one symbol no matter how large a number is. That would make writing things out a lot easier and not take so much space.
>>
>>9171300
>>9171289

so we'd just have a symbol for everything like chinese writing?

>mfw I just realize chinese are writing in base infinity while we can only write in base 26

jesus, no wonder they're always beating us in math
>>
>>9171300
> big advantage
> tfw every single number needs to have its own distinguishable symbol
> tfw inevitably you would need to come up with a system for creating new symbols so that it's clear what the symbol is supposed to represent even if you haven't seen the number before
> tfw this is no better than just having a digit system with a specified base
>>
>>9171247
infinity isn't a number
>>
>>9171318
I was thinking that we could have people place bids to define the symbols. The symbol might be your companies logo or it might something made by a famous artist.

Maybe you could have professional number makers. Since there's an infinite amount of numbers it would create a lot of jobs.
>>
Infinity isn't a number (2).

But ignoring that, great idea, OP.
How about we represent the number 1 by the symbol 1 and 2 by 2 and 3 by 3 ...
>>
>>9171334
what's 11?
>>
>>9171333
"Gee, I would love to know how much this refrigerator costs but I forgot what number [McDonalds Logo] represents, better look it up in the table again..."
>>
>>9171343
What if the Mcdonalds logo was the price of a big mac? Than it would actually make learning everything easier.
>>
>>9171333
> create a lot of jobs
It would create jobs for which there is literally zero demand for and that produce no value for anyone. Who the fuck would pay for this system? How could you possibly have a functioning society if there isn't a clearly defined system for representing numbers? This would only happen if a truly psychopathic dictator shoved it down everyone's throats. It's useless.
>>
>>9171346
>It would create jobs for which there is literally zero demand for and that produce no value for anyone

I think defining numbers is a job where there would be a lot of demand and value.

In the long run it would make everyone more producive. People read and write numbers every day and having to read multiple symbols consumes needless time. If there was only one symbol for each number we'd be a lot more productive.
>>
>>9171345
The fuck are you on about? Have you ever had to use numbers ever in your entire life? The whole point in representing numbers with symbols is that other people know what you mean when you write something down. If every single number in existence has a different symbol nobody will ever learn them well enough to be able to use numbers at all.
>>
>>9171350
I think you just admitted to needing to "take time" while reading numbers. This isn't a normal problem boyo, the rest of us can recognize what value a number is in base ten practically instantly. We don't need an overhaul of the current way we represent numbers if you are the only one having trouble with it. Tell ya what, how about you go ahead and start creating your own base-infinity nonsense yourself and let us know how it goes. When you get to the 100th digit, try and do some simple arithmetic with just those digits and see how efficient you are. I think if you are actually more efficient it might be a sign of some kind of autism, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but we shouldn't change conventions just because your brain is off the bell curve.
>>
>>9171360
You're asking me to create the symbols for free?
>>
>>9171351
By the time you get to the numbers greater than 9 you need to learn two symbols each time. Once you get to numbers past 99 it's three symbols. The amount keeps growing.

One symbol per number is just more efficient and easier.
>>
Something like this would develop the capacity for memory and symbol recognition in children much faster. They'd probably improve in all other areas of learning that require such skills.
>>
You'd need a certain type of symbol to signify a variable too. Can't really graph an x and y grid if x and y are both numbers anyways
>>
File: Dilated_pupils_2006_(cropped).jpg (161KB, 1200x919px) Image search: [Google]
Dilated_pupils_2006_(cropped).jpg
161KB, 1200x919px
>>9171333
this is brilliant because we could use those symbols to represent a value that changes with time!

imagine if you could find the gas prices just by looking at a number line, or if you could figure out when a holiday is the current year, for example, a little easter egg would be our number 16 THIS YEAR, but next year, it would be our number 1.
>>
>>9171402
I like it but I would not want to live in or deal with such a society
>>
>>9171367
I want you to stare at your keyboard for as long as it takes and then tell me how many symbols you see.
There are ten symbols. 0-9. We have a special convention for how to arrange these symbols in ways so that we can represent more numbers than just those first 10. The convention makes sense and is understood by everyone. You are the only one complaining. It makes you look, and I mean this seriously, retarded. Normal people don't have trouble recognizing the value of numbers.

>>9171366
Yes. Unless you can find someone that wants these symbols to exist besides you then they will only ever exist if you make them for free. Nobody else wants this to happen.
>>
>>9171396

we'll just leave a few symbols behind to work as variables, x,y,z, and the greek alphabet should be enough to cover all maths. That's like 30 symbols we can't use, so really it'd be more like an Infinity - 30 number system, which is still quite a lot.
>>
>>9171342
I was thinking each number would be represented by a unique string of its characters.

Imagine you had an alphabet "1" "2" "3" "4" "5",...,"11","12","13",... and that these are just symbols that conveniently look like the numbers in decimal with quotes around them.

Makes sense to me now, but it could be straight retarded. I don't know.
>>
>>9171410

Think about it this way. Say you want to buy a refrigerator and you know it costs one hundred mcdonalds symbols. Now you know exactly how many big macs you could get for the exact same price instantly, without any sort of mental math.

Whereas with the old system you would have to convert everything to a dollar amount then compare the prices, this way all you have to do is count the mcdonalds symbols. Makes it way easier.
>>
>>9171247
How would you deal with non-rational numbers?
>>
>>9171456
lol, how would it deal with decimal numbers
>>
I feel like this thread is mostly a shitpost but this is fucking with my head
>>
>>9171432
>you know it costs one hundred mcdonalds symbols
how would I know that ? I thought you wanted a special symbol for every number
>>
>>9171300
Or you could just use scientific notation like 10E80. Boom, there's all of the protons in the universe.
>>
>>9171247
It is as much the natural base as any other number, but it's about as useful as the base 1 system
>>
base infinity is perfect for decimals
>>
I think they're pretty much equivalent actually lol
>>
>>9171482
>but it's about as useful as the base 1 system

tally marks are incredible useful
>>
>>9171484
Every unique number / symbol is/can be defined by an | for each increment
"| |"
"| | | | | | |"
>>
>>9171488
sure, but you probably don't need two tally-mark systems
>>
>>9171464
Decimals is based 10...
You can have decimal equivalents in other finite bases (0.1 is 1/10 in whatever base you are working in)... but if there is no 10 in your 'infinite' base, then 'decimals' is not going to work...
>>
>>9171497
he obviously meant inifimals, don't be pedantic
>>
>>9171468

fine, say you had a batman-symbol amount of mcdonalds symbols money. This would mean one refrigerator is a batman symbol amount of big macs, or alternatively a mcdonalds symbol amount of Batman figures. This easily shows the relationship between Batman, McDonalds, and refrigerators in a way the base 10 system simply wouldn't.
>>
I dare you to come up with and memorize even up to 1000 unique characters
>>
>>9171328
depends on your model
it's not a real number, but it is for example a hyperreal number, as well as an extended complex number
>>
File: 64891[1].png (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
64891[1].png
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>9171525

already did bro
>>
>>9171525
nips and chinks do this on a daily basis though
>>
>>9171497
so decimals are fractions right
and flea markets often sell things for cheap

so let us make a bargain bin symbol that is pretty much just a |_| and put the symbols in this and whenever you see this you know that is your fractional part

so assuming kitten is the value 17 then [math]kitten|\underline{kitten}|[/math] is 17.17
>>
File: mind-blown-16.jpg (21KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
mind-blown-16.jpg
21KB, 500x369px
>>9171247
We do, anon
>>
You could also have multiple symbols for the same number. For instance [Batman symbol]=[Superman Symbol]. Or [Superman symbol]*-1=[Kryptonite]

This would a lot more depth and meaning to our number system.
>>
Base 10 math is a tool of the patriarchy to opress people who can only do math in ones.

AI can't happen until we switch to base 1 because immigrants will build it just like they built a nice little place we call AMERICA
>>
>>9171671
Isn't base 1 and base infinity actually the same thing in the end?

What would a base 0 system look like or a base -10?
>>
File: Euripides-bust.jpg (26KB, 386x439px) Image search: [Google]
Euripides-bust.jpg
26KB, 386x439px
>>9171675
Exactly.
So it follows that base 10 is TEN INFINITIES.
>Boisterous laugh
Brainlets can barely three infinities
>>
why dont we use base pi
>>
>>9171247
Nah we should do base 100 lads
>>
>>9171247
>Why don't we use a base infinity number system?

that would be WAY too many symbols to memorize.
>>
>>9171345
That's a cheap refrigerator
>>
>>9171505
I love you, anon
>>
>>9171366
I'll give you $7 Honda symbols
>>
>>9171505
Kek. This is a good thread
>>
>>9171270
OP I was serious when I wrote this you should fucking kill yourself
>>
>>9171247
You'd need a new symbol for every number
>>
If you consider each number representation in base 1 (or any base) as a separate symbol you essentially have base infinity. Therefore every base is infinite and 1=2=3=4=...=infinity. Take that atheists.
>>
>>9171300
That reminds me, you still owe me $ .-
>>
didnt ooga boogas start tallying numbers thousands of years ago. you might as well think of every consecutive tally as a new symbol
I = 1
II = 2
IIIIIIIII.......IIIIIIIIIIII=5670

your idea isnt novel, you are actually as smart as prehistoric man
>>
>>9171467
There would be no practical difference between base infinity and base 1.
>>
>>9171655
>>>/co/
>>
>>9171289
We already do this. 1 and 11 is not the same symbol.
>>
infinity = 0.
Therefore, it would be base 0.
>>
>>9171432
A refrigerator would cost a refrigerator symbol
>>
>>9171247

because there would be no way of interpreting a number without finite relation.
>>
>>9171247
A base infinity system equals exactly one.

Suck it fucktards

Wubalubadubdubs!
>>
>>9172552
no composites allowed you retard
>>
>>9171247
I think the entire global economy maximum total value of liquid money should be defined as one, and everyone owns a percentage of that.

So instead of "I have $100,000" it is "I have .000000000003 of all of the worlds money".
>>
>>9173927
It would put things in perspective a lot.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.