[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between normal stress and shear stress?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1505530186052.png (384KB, 600x783px) Image search: [Google]
1505530186052.png
384KB, 600x783px
What is the difference between normal stress and shear stress?
>>
>>9171146
90 degrees
>>
>>9171197
Isnt that just a mechanical wave?
>>
>>9171509
Waves are displacement due to stress. Stress is a force that's distributed across a surface instead of a single concentrated point. The distinction between normal and shear stress just tells you which way the force is acting relative to the surface, with normal stresses acting perpendicularly to the surface and shear stresses acting parallel to the surface. You can describe stress in any direction relative to a surface as a combination of normal and shear components.
>>
>>9171146
Either you’re retarded, the teacher is retarded or both.

Tell me the question and I’ll explain it to you.
>>
>>9171604
Don't waste your time,>>9171604
Is all the info OP needs.

Shear, tension, compression, ductability, plasticity, deflection, whatever first year physics or engy science teaches in statics and such spend literally less than a page, maybe a few paragraphs that OP should be able to just read and understand.
>>
>>9171628
Maybe if youre a benchwarmer in academia
>>
Normal stress is your everyday stress. For example, the stress of having to juggle your studies and work life. Shear stress is the stress one encounters in the situation of having to shear a sheep. This stress was named because many Welshmen would opt to fuck sheep rather than shear it as the shearing process was too stressful.
>>
>>9171146

normal stress is compressive or tensile. beams holding up a building=compressive, cables holding up bridges = tensile, bending a solid rod = both.

shear stress could be likened to torque; it exhibits properties of normal stress but the angles of force are at right angles to the resistance applied by the medium.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.