[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College professor just said the following: "If you are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: heattreatment.gif (3KB, 294x312px) Image search: [Google]
heattreatment.gif
3KB, 294x312px
College professor just said the following:

"If you are looking at a charge in a magnetic field, and then you make you coordinate system move at the same speed of the charge, then there is no longer a magnetic field. This is needed when studying relativity to eliminate magnetic fields from your calculations. You can also use it in E&M to make your calculations easier."

Is this true? You can't just ignore a significant component of reality can you? She is kinda retarded and like mumbles a lot so maybe she is wrong.

Pic not related, heat treatment.
>>
It is correct. You aren't ignoring reality - the E field and B field transform into each other.
That's why real scientists use shit like tensors and differential forms.
>>
It's just the principle of relativity.

Look at it this way: a magnetic field is set up between two charged particles if they are moving relative to each other. If you make your coordinate system move with a certain particle, then the magnetic field is zero with respect to any other particle that is also fixed with respect to the coordinate system. In other words, the two particles are not moving relative to each other, so the magnetic field between them should be zero. That makes perfect sense.

It makes calculations easier because now you can eliminate all the terms for particles that are fixed relative to your coordinate system. They're just 0.
>>
>>7650714
Yeah I understand that. But from a practical standpoint I can't design my wire system to run through a magnetic field and say, "oh if I just make my coordinate system move then I don't have to account for the magnetic field in this design."
>>
>>7650692
It is not that the magnetic field disappears, but the effect of the magnetic field on the charged particle will no longer exert a force on it because now the relative velocity between the two is zero, the the magnetic force on the charged particle goes to zero.
>>
>>7650727
let's say you have to calculate shit in order to build your wire system. do you want to do easy calculations or hard ones?
>>
>>7650710
>>7650692
>"If you are looking at a charge in a magnetic field, and then you make you coordinate system move at the same speed of the charge..."
doesn't that just mean you're moving the magnetic field?
>>
>>7650747
What I am saying is there will be errors and malfunctions if you ignored it.
>>
>>7650780
your an idiot
>>
>>7650780
There won't be though. Changing coordinate systems takes into account everything. It's literally how you do shit.

You wanna integrate over a surface section of a sphere? You sure as fuck aren't going to use cartesian coordinates for that shit. You convert it. Same principle applies here. You convert your way of looking at something to a way with easier calculations. The conversion takes care of your worries.
>>
>>7650756
> doesn't that just mean you're moving the magnetic field?
Relative to what? That's the question you must always ask yourself.

There is no "stationary" frame of reference that is always correct. Your choice of coordinate system, as long as it is inertial (not accelerating/not experiencing outside forces), is arbitrary. If it's not inertial, then you can measure and correct for that.
>>
>>7650840
relative to the particle and the coordinate system
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.