[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sound Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: microsonic_landscape2.jpg (63KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
microsonic_landscape2.jpg
63KB, 600x400px
Hey /sci/ I'm trying to develop a theory on what happens to things like sound waves after they "die." I haven't found any current theories on what happens to them after they're created other than they simply cease to exist. But I think something much different. I may just be talking nonsense, but does anyone know any current standing theories about what happens to sound after it "dies?"
>>
>>7649910
They go to heaven, obviously.
>>
>>7649910
Turns to heat. Look up phonons
>>
>>7649910
Its a wave and it dissipates. Do you think it goes to some kind of sound afterlife? Sound heaven for good sounds and sound hell for bad ones?
>>
>>7649919
No I think that it's initial energy level can no longer sustain an actual sound wave and the particles- Wait I don't wanna actually tell you guys, because I've already started thinking up possible equations and such for this concept.
>>
>>7649922
lol
k
>>
>>7649922
true, maybe think in terms of still water and adding a rock creating a ripple, notice the ripple continues until it is broken up with other things around it, but if there was a giant body of still water, would the ripple continue forever until the kinetic energy was used up?
>>
>>7649963
The ripples of water are still water. The only thing being lost is energy but the water is still there and can still create ripples if energy is given. Kind of picture this same concept with sound... Sort of...
>>
>>7649922
>No I think that it's initial energy level can no longer sustain an actual sound wave and the particles
Um, before you dive into acoustics and wave theory I think you should start at basic physics like conservation of momentum and energy.

Work your way up to the wave equation from there.
>>
>>7649998
No no see, after the sound wave uses up all of its initial energy is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm trying to disprove the theory that sound waves just up and die after they're created. I think it's much more than that. Are there any more standing theories that already exist about what happens to them?
>>
File: Damped_oscillation_graph2.png (23KB, 500x429px) Image search: [Google]
Damped_oscillation_graph2.png
23KB, 500x429px
>>7649977
There's no mystery, the energy is dissipated into other forms.

Specifically it can be modeled as a damped oscillation (timewise). Spatially it becomes more complicated but there is no super spooky trickery going on. It's just entropy.
>>
>>7650008
>Are there any more standing theories that already exist about what happens to them?
Yes, friction and viscosity work against the propagation of the waves and energy is converted from kinetic energy to thermal energy. This is irreversible, so you can't get the sound back.

I highly suggest reading up on the laws of thermodynamics.
>>
>>7650009
Ah! Thank you thank you thank you! This exactly the thing I needed to evaluate my theory!
>>7650013
I already looked up that concept, I don't think that really applies to this.
>>
>>7650017
>I don't think that really applies to this.
Oh yes it does.
>>
>>7650021
Are you the one who asked me to look up phonons?
>>
>>7650025
No but phonons will explain the same thing. It's all related.

You cannot escape the conservation of energy for starters. Energy is always conserved. And if you are trying to convert energy from one form to another you cannot escape entropy. It is the way the universe works.
>>
>>7650035
Yes yes! That is exactly what's implemented in my concept. But the way its converted. It can't simply turn into heat because there is no initial energy that allows it to do that.
>>
>>7650051
Alright, well, I'm done after this, but no you're wrong.

There is no initial energy needed for this conversion, it's the path of least resistance. Sound waves are fluctuations of pressure (or density if you like to think of it that way) that propagate through a medium, usually a gas.

By fluid mechanics alone this is a viscous process and that will damp out the amplitude of the waves as described here>>7650009. Combine that with the inverse square law and you have an initial energy that has now spread out over a large volume as well as being damped by viscosity in the medium it propagates.

TL;DR your wave spreads out, gets damped by viscosity, and its energy gets turned into heat. Tiny, tiny amounts of heat, but heat none the less. This is very, very well studied. Good night.
>>
>>7650058
So by that logic, the remaining energy that sound has left after entropy is converted into heat? I'll have to look into that a bit more. But thank you very much for your time, Anon.
>>
>>7650051
>there's not initial energy
Then how do any of the particles that the wave is made of move to create the wave?
>>
>>7650100
No no, there IS initial energy, in the beginning when it's created. But it gradually loses it over time. So with that logic. How could it possibly create heat if that were the case?
>>
This is like waves 101 shit.

The directed energy of the sound waves gets converted into stochastic kinetic energy (heat).

The waves also spread out as they travel, until their energy density is below the noise floor.
>>
>>7649910
OP this where you need to start to find sounds afterlife

>>7649914

/thread
>>
>>7649910
Sound is a mechanical wave which requires a medium. That's why there is no sound in space since there is no medium. Sound waves uses air as a medium in Earth's atmosphere and ripples the air particles that the receptors in your ears pick up. The sound doesn’t 'die', it disperses and eventually absorbed by an object thus conserving momentum.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.