[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pendulum Equation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: ABAAAAe0QAD-1.gif (24KB, 1825x1185px) Image search: [Google]
ABAAAAe0QAD-1.gif
24KB, 1825x1185px
How and why does the pendulum equation work?
>>
>>7649536
did you try looking up the explanation?
>>
>>7649536
Small angle approximation and dimensional analysis.
>>
T≈2sqrt(L) because π/sqrt(g)≈1
>>
>>7649536
Because gravity works, potencial energy is converted to cinetic energy and because the distance of the movement is a circle.
>>
>>7649536
it doesn't though
you don't need an especially big pendulum to see it breaking down
>>
>>7649702
Because of friction or is there another reason?
>>
>>7649753
don't know what that guy was talking about but the equation in OP is an approximation and falls apart if your starting angle is bigger
the closed form for the correct equation includes annoying integrals or an infinite power series so the approximation is often used even if it's fairly inaccurate
>>
>>7649775
>hurr it's an approximation
Like every physics equation in existence.
>>
>>7649786
ya but equations like [math] F = mv^{2}[/math] and [math] F = G\frac{mM}{r^{2}}[/math] are reasonably accurate in real world situations but the pendulum formula is such a rough approximation it's unusable for all but the smallest of angles, most of which are selected precisely because otherwise the equation is just flat out wrong
>>
>>7649801
obviously the first equation was supposed to be [math]E_{k} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/math]
>>
>>7649775
>>7649801
It's just a fun little equation to try at home. I don't you will have to worry about accuracy.
>>
>>7649891
>just a fun little equation

more like shitty useless equation
>>
>>7649902
Stop dissing my equation mother fucker.
>>
>>7649536
That equation is a shitty approximation for the period of a pendulum.

The force of gravity acting on the swinging pendulum is [math]F_g = m*g*Sin(\theta)[/math]. However, to derive your equation [math]Sin(\theta)[/math] is approximated to be equal to [math]\theta[/math]. This approximation is only appropriate for very small values of [math]\theta[/math].

>http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l25/node2.html
>>
>>7649983
It's not that shitty of an approximation, though. Empirically it works for angles up to like 20 degrees.
>>
>>7649693
Br?
>>
>>7649536
I can't be bothered to write up the derivation, but basically you find that the force driving the pendulum is equal to [math]m g \sin \theta[/math]. If you approximate [math]\sin \theta = \theta[/math], you get a second-order differential equation in [math]\theta[/math]. Solve that and you get a solution with [math]\sin[/math] and/or [math]\cos[/math]. By looking at the terms inside the [math]\sin[/math] or [math]\cos[/math], you can find the period [math]T[/math].
>>
>>7649993
It's the shittiest
>>
>>7650034
It's techinically accurate to a 2nd order taylor series.
>>
>>7650040
Practically, theoretically and now technically shit as well. Good job
>>
File: IMG-20151109-WA0064.jpg (35KB, 737x737px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151109-WA0064.jpg
35KB, 737x737px
>>7650055
You're delusional if you think its shitty https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kater%27s_pendulum
>>
>>7649993
Hm

Looking at it again, the difference between Sin(x) and x at 22.5 degrees is about 0.01. Didn't realize it at first but it might be a better approximation than I originally thought.
>>
File: icp-mangets-werk.jpg (16KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
icp-mangets-werk.jpg
16KB, 500x250px
fckn pendulums, how do they werk?
>>
The Lagrangian for a mathematical pendulum is
[math]\frac{1}{2} m L^2 \dot \varphi^2 + m g L \cos(\varphi)[/math].
Plug it in the E-L equation to get
[math]m L^2 \ddot \varphi + m g L \sin(\varphi) = 0[/math].
Approximate [math]\sin(\varphi) \approx \varphi[/math]
[math] \ddot \varphi + \frac{g}{L} \varphi = 0[/math]
which is the differential equation of a harmonic oscillator.
>>
>>7650319
>approximate
why would you do that.
there are solutions without this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics)#Arbitrary-amplitude_period
>>
>>7650374
he's a pop scientist, that' why
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.