[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /sci/, I have a question that's been bugging me all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Alcohol.jpg (56KB, 701x468px) Image search: [Google]
Alcohol.jpg
56KB, 701x468px
Okay /sci/, I have a question that's been bugging me all day and it's not related to coursework enough for me to ask my lecturer. So here goes:

Assume a scenario where I have a glass of infinite volume and add a 200 ml bottle of Jack Daniel's to the glass, and then proceed to pour water into the the glass for an indefinite amount of time.

At some point, would the concentration of Jack Daniel's become so diluted that it would be completely undetectable in the solution? As in, the Jack Daniel's' concentration has become so diluted that now only the water is detectable?
>>
>>7649253
>At some point, would the concentration of Jack Daniel's become so diluted that it would be completely undetectable in the solution?

Yes, of course.

Think about what it would mean if the opposite were true. Any given sample would have enough molecules of non-water to be detectable as jack. But you've got potentially infinite samples. So that means you must have infinite jack. But you don't. QED
>>
>>7649253
Infinite water has a infinite mass.
At some point the pure mass of the water above the jack daniels will transform the jack daniels into dark matter. This will create a black hole which will suck in all your measuring facilitys
>>
This is now a probability question because you always have a probability of finding the jack daniels particles because there will always be 1 part per N
>>
Any analytical technique is going to have a detection limit. Something like HPLC might work out better for some molecules, while Tollens' reagent might be better for others. Anyway, it depends on what you mean by detectable. Do you need to show that the solution isn't pure water, or do you need to show that it was whiskey, or that it was a particular blend of JD?
http://www.chromatographyonline.com/limit-detection

The question is: how are you measuring it? If you have the entire solution available (i.e. not taking a sample), and you boil it down very carefully, with multiple columns and precise control, you may be able to recover some of the whiskey no matter how much water (practically) was originally added. But whether or not that's really the case is going to require experiment. My guess is no, but I've been surprised before.
>>
Why would you do that? Don't ruin water with that foul liquid. Besides, water remembers everything homeopathically.
>>
>>7649253
>As in, the Jack Daniel's' concentration has become so diluted that now only the water is detectable?

depends on the accuracy of your tool. tools have finite resolutions.
>>
>>7649285
>>7649292
>>7649332
a physicist, a mathematician, and an engineer walk into a bar.
>>
>>7649337
Top kek.
>>
>>7649337
underrated
>>
>>7649337
Nice
>>
>>7649292
lim n-> infinity of 1/n = 0
probability of finding jack is 0
>>
Infinite volume implying a vaccum, mass being antithetical to absolute-pure-volume, mass being distinguishable from absolute-pure-volume, it'd exist as its own infinitesimal entity, no matter how arbitrary.
>>
>>7649541
Oh, sorry, I hadn't taken into account the 'indefinite' pouring of water. Conservation,the energy from the whisky'd still exist.
>>
as the volume of water approaches infinity the jack daniels to water ratio approaches zero, however there will always be a finite amount of alcohol molecules and I guess that you'll always have some chance of finding a molecule even though the percent chances also approach zero.
shit I don't know man
>>
>>7649529
The water is pouring for an indefinite amount of time, not an infinite amount of time.
>>
>>7649529
>lim n-> infinity of 1/n = 0
nope
lim n -> infinity of 1/n -> 0
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.