[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So was thinking, what would happen if I drilled through the earth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: 1447028590780.jpg (198KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1447028590780.jpg
198KB, 1024x1024px
So was thinking, what would happen if I drilled through the earth and jumped into it? Thank you!
>>
you'd burn to death. your remains would float around the center of the earth
>>
>>7648037
you should use the catalog before shitposting
>>7644907
>>
>>7648037
>>7644907
>>
>>7648037
Better question, you drill a hole through the earth and jumped in. What you die of first?

1. Heat
2. Gravity
3. Lack of oxygen
>>
>>7648052
Coriolis force would grind you against a wall, unless you drilled through the poles.
>>
>>7648052
B-but there's a movie that proves you can nuke Earth's core anon...
>>
>>7648052
I'd say heat, if only by reduction. People don't get get hurt by fast acceleration, but by rapid changes in acceleration. Falling through Earth would give a gradual start and stop, so that won't do anything.

If we assume we can drill a hole through Earth, then we can also fill it with oxygen. So that leaves heat. That could kill you.
>>
>>7648052

Why are you assuming that you'd die?
>>
>>7648989
>If we assume we can drill a hole through Earth, then we can also fill it with oxygen.
A hole big enough for a person to jump into would be incredibly massive. As you get farther down it will be like what happens when you go up really high, the air will get extremely thin.
>>
>>7649163
Low quality b8 m8
>>
>>7648052
>gravity
how are you going to die to gravity?
>>
>>7649252
>>7649252
if you don't believe gravity kills jump out of the 12th store of some building
>>
>>7649252
Think about it, if [math]{F_{{g_E}}} = \frac{{GMm}}{{{r_E}^2}}[/math], what happens as [math]{r_E} \to 0[/math]?
>>
>>7649309
[math] F_{g_E} \to 0 [/math]
>>
>>7648037
Assuming you don't crash into the walls of the tunnel, you would reach the other side, then get back, and etc... with a sinusoidal motion. A t the end you'll end up at the center of the earth.
It would actually be a very efficient transportation system, but you have to drill...
>>
>>7649323
Air resistance? Eventually OP would slow down to the point that he or she will be irretrievably stuck in the centre of the planet. Either that or he or she suffocates over the 42 (?) minute journey.
>>
>>7649328
If there is a total vacuum , no problem
>>
Would you implode in the middle of the earth?
>>
>>7649331
Yep. The weight of air above and below squash him to a 2d line.
>>
>>7649331
lol like you could even get there without dying in between.
>>
>>7648037
Assuming you drilled a diameter hole, right through the center of the Earth, and out the other side. And assuming that the heat would not kill you and that the hole was also a vacuum. Then if you jumped in, you would oscillate back and forth for eternity.
>>
>>7649322
You are right, my bad.
>>
You would speed up until you hit the core, then you would slow down until your velocity becomes zero. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>7649284
assuming you jump into a hole that has no bottom and you don't hit the sides, i repeat, how are you going to die to gravity?
what are you going to hit that would liken it to your 12-story jump
>>
>>7648989
>People don't get get hurt by fast acceleration, but by rapid changes in acceleration

When talking about the damaging effects of gravity to the body, it has nothing to do with the time derivative of the force, but rather the positional derivative of the force, also known as a tidal force (though it's not really a force). A fast change in acceleration applied equally throughout the body doesn't cause any damage. However, if the differences in force throughout the body are high enough, then damage will be caused. The tidal force caused by the Earth is relatively small because its mass is relatively low, a black hole, however, has a large enough tidal force to rip someone apart. Tidal forces fallout cubicly, which is why they don't affect us on Earth.
>>
U could make elevator moving freely down to opposite side of the earth (if u consider some cylindrical wall around to do not melt in core). If we omit air resistance and earth irregularity (difference of height above sea level on both sides of tunel) elevator would stop exactly at the same height u made it going downward.

Any1 calculate time of such trip
>>
>>7648037
Boobs.
>>
File: Wow.png (298KB, 1918x1096px) Image search: [Google]
Wow.png
298KB, 1918x1096px
>>7648037
Popular thread.
>>
>>7650422
>time of such trip
>>7648243
>>
Rofl.. Op is a faggot.. Quit trying to get people to do your freshman physics problem.
>>
File: 3f7.gif (306KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3f7.gif
306KB, 500x375px
>>7648037
>get to center of Earth
>spend a few minutes under very high pressure atmosphere
>quickly ascend to lower pressure atmosphere near crust
>die of bends (rapid movement from high to low pressure)
>>
>>7648989
>If we assume we can drill a hole through Earth, then we can also fill it with oxygen.
If you fill it with oxygen, it solidifies under its own weight.
>>
>>7648037>>7648037>>7648037>>7648037
>>
>>7652128
What? Why?

>>7649309
The gravity at the center of the earth isn't infinite. You have to use a gravity sort of equivalent of Gauss's Law. Basically a sphere of mass with the radius of however far some the center you are is the mass pulling on you, when you're at the center, there's no pull at all because there's no mass beneath you.
>>
>>7652128
Are you sure? I -
>Whip out calculator
>e^(radius/scaleheight)
>Overflow error
Well shit, I guess so.
>>
>>7650431
Is it true that the clocks run at the same rate?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.