[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the purpose of sleep? It's not like we get energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

What is the purpose of sleep? It's not like we get energy from it or anything.
>>
>>7645962
it's to prevent you're braine from overeating
>>
>>7645962
We used to not have light at night. Electricity is a recent thing, you know. Our consiousness couldn't function after the sunt went dow, due to the lack stimulae.
>>
Do you think it is possible to invest something that would allow a human to not ever need to sleep?
>>
>>7645962
-Your body is immobile during sleep, and it therefore can switch functionality to a state that promotes rapid healing and waste elimination.
-Your brain has to clear and recycle ADP and cAMP, among other things.
-Brain has to sort information and repeatedly simulate activities you find to be important, which makes you better at them for a longer period. Dendritic spine formation, etc.
-Hormone cycle changes.
-Evolutionarily was probably a waste of energy in most cases. Organisms were better off investing into nesting and denning behaviors.
>>
>>7645962
Gotta shut the machine down to do repairs.
>>
Do you think organisms would have evolved to sleep if we lived in a place with a constant light source? Do organisms without light detection sleep at all?
>>
>>7645995
Up north in some places goes days without sun down and even those animals have to sleep so yes.
>>
>>7646011
You're talking about very modern animals compared to something like sleep which is such an early trait. That's not what I'm talking about.
>>
>>7645995

Creatures in the deep ocean have to sleep too, so yes probably. We'd probably do it in phases though, like only letting one half of the brain sleep at a time.
>>
>what is maintenance requirements
>what is learning and optimally using resources for learning
>what is energy conservation during evolutionary useless hours (night)
>>
File: 11.3.jpg (71KB, 1136x639px) Image search: [Google]
11.3.jpg
71KB, 1136x639px
>>7645966
a-PVP
>>
It's for cleaning your brain.

This year they discovered that there's a lymphatic system in mammalian brains, and when you sleep, spinal fluid rushes up into the brain's lymphatic vessels and rinses away any cellular debris created during the day.
>>
>>7645964
damn. thats a really believable explanation and kind of depressingn that its totally unnecessary
>>
>>7646628
> thats a really believable explanation

Yeah, it's what's called a just-so story. Take his explanation with a massive grain of salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-so_story
>>
>>7645966
It's called meth senpai
>>
>>7646509
I find it amazing that it took this long to discover this. What else have we overlooked for all these years?
>>
>>7646509

Where can I read the paper on this?
>>
>>7645962
your brain removes waste from your neurons when you sleep so they can function at peak efficiency during the day.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.