[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPU>CPU; Wait, What?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: paint-72dpi.jpg (1MB, 1663x1176px) Image search: [Google]
paint-72dpi.jpg
1MB, 1663x1176px
If a GPU is better at cracking passwords than a CPU, why is the left brain better at mathematics and logical thinking than the right brain? Would it make more sense to interpret maths more creatively to be able to problem solve quicker?
>>
> gpu better at cracking passwords
wat
>>
>>7643174
>http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/32816/why-are-gpus-so-good-at-cracking-passwords
>>
>>7643172
what in the fuck does the gpu/cpu have to do with right/left brain?
>>
>>7643187
Cpu- processer (logical)
gpu- graphical processing (creative)
>>
>>7643172
A gpu is just specialized cpu
>>
This is at least three misconceptions nested inside each other. Anon I'm worried you're going to give somebody an aneurysm.
>>
>>7643191
how is a gpu processor creative?
how is it any less logical than the cpu?
do you even understand what you're posting about?
>>
If we slightly tilt our heads to the right when we think creatively, why doesnt everybody tilt their head to the left in math class?
>>
>>7643195
me
he's going to give me an aneurysm
>>
>>7643200
If graphics require more processing power to run smoothly, would thinking creatively require more "processing power"? In turn, wouldnt using the right side of the brain make logic easier as it would offer more potential than the left side?
>>
>>7643210
either:
A. you're trolling really hard
B. you're absolutely terrible at explaining yourself
C. you completely ignored my post that you're responding too
D. you're retarded

i'll pretend you aren't just trying to be a dick and explain
the gpu isn't acting creatively it is acting logically just like the cpu stop thinking that it is coming up with its own solutions to things we don't understand
>>
>>7643172
I'm failing to see how you even assumed your assertions had a valid basis
>>
>>7643214
All of the above
/thread
>>
>>7643172
P1: 'a GPU is better at cracking passwords than a CPU'

P2: ' the left brain better at mathematics and logical thinking than the right brain'

C1: The right brain should perform better at operation-heavy task

" interpret maths more creatively to be able to problem solve quicker?"
Vague as fuck. Do you want to memorize optimization algorithms or something beyond least squares?

Your predicates aren't well founded
>>
>>7643172

what the literal fuck is wrong with you? are you goddamn 12 years old? The left brain and right brain are connected via the corpus callosum, and you use both of them almost the same (you barely use one more than the other).

0/10 educate yourself
>>
>>7643214
to add to this, a GPU has many, many, many, MANy, exponentially many more cores than a CPU.
GPU cores (especially NVIDIA's) are really goo at performing repetitive mathematical tasks.
If anything, the CPU is more "creative" than the GPU in that a CPU can perform exponentially many more DIFFERENT types of tasks that stream processors can.
I can go on forever about this, but I'll leave it here for now.
>>
>>7643172
left brain - right brain dichotomy is mostly bullshit
also your assigning gpu as creative doesn't really make any sense.
>>
>>7643237
i agree
Lehman's terms of this >>7643235
is that the OP has it all backwards.
GPU can literally, physically only calculate.That is all the are good at and all they can do. It's basically a fat, hungry, more specialized version of an ALU.
The CPU is the one that actually interprets the data and figures out what to do with it (according to instructions ofc), then spits it out to the GPU, then the GPU shits a bunch of colors onto a display.
>implying left/right brain specialization is a major factor.
>>
>>7643268
or does "physics" calculations, which is mathematical calulation
>>
>>7643172
10/10 triggered hard
>>
>>7643235
>GPU cores (especially NVIDIA's) are really goo at performing repetitive mathematical tasks
AMD actually hes like 20% more pure computing power per $ iirc, and also they have more cores than nv. thing is they have different instruction set so when it's used for generating graphics some of this power is wasted.
>>
>>7643172
I AM NOT WHO I WANT TO BE, I PROBABLY WILL NOT EVER BE.
>>
>>7644218
This is completely wrong. Can't tell if shill or just retarded.
>>
>>7643172
>spout nonsense about common misconceptions
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>7643172
>>7643176
I would like to see some actual benchmarking data to back this us up. But yeah, the guy in the stackexchange post pretty much summed it up. GPUs typically have lots more execution units that can run in parallel. password cracking is basically brute forcing a shit ton of different possibilities with no data dependencies. Hence, it benefits from GPU accelerations. You could probably get way more performance and power efficiency from an FPGA but it would be more difficult to implement.
>>
>>7643191
top kek
>>
>>7643172
>Look deeper into picture
>Left side talks about being a scientist, a mathematician
>See the decoration
>LITERAL JAVA IMPORTS

FUCKING JAVA M8. No mathematician or scientist uses fucking java. Sounds more like everyone's left brain is a code monkey.

Now we know why CS is so popular, we are all half code monkeys.
>>
>>7644287
But what are those other languages?
>>
>>7644294
English
>>
First of all, the right being the creativity and left being the logical part of the brain is a myth.
Second of all, comparing computer components to the brain, let alone a myth, isn't a logical assumption.
Third of all, is this bait?
>>
Mods shut this thread down, this is probably the most retarded thread I've ever read on /sci/. I think it gave me a severe case of AIDS, Alzeimers, and autism.
>>
>>7643191
>gpu- graphical processing (creative)

Nope.jpg
>>
No such thing as left or right sided brain. You have both. If you only had one, then you would be severely mentally retarded.
>>
Maths as practiced academically is actually dialectical logic with a specialized symbolic language - ie it is "language" to the brain, not pure calculation. That's why it uses the left hemisphere, and why it is slow. The language aspect is a choke point that creates linearity. The right side does a mindblowing amount of calculation in parallel. That's what creates the "immersiveness" of our subjective experience. It's still a logical deduction from the collective stimulation of the nerves by external and internal objects, but because it's not consciously "audited", it's subjectively instantaneous, and many calculations can be done in parallel and the collective body of their results viewed in parallel as a gestalt or image, rather than as a stream of thought, which is language. This is why, under the influence of psychedelic or deliriant drugs, unreal situations and experiences can be had which are subjectively perceived as fully real - the consciousness is only viewing the (faulty) output of the processes, not the processes themselves.
>>
>>7644218
AMD cards don't have CUDA. They are literally useless for any big calculations.
>>
>>7643172

>left brain
>I am a scientist
>I love the familiar

>scientists work to uncover the unfamiliar

Stupid picture.
>>
>>7644817
>ie it is "language" to the brain
[citation needed]
Show me a fmri fgt.
>>
>>7644880
It's really self evident. Sorry about the mental retardation. It gets better.
>>
>>7644914
Actually I really just wanted an fmri of people doing math. I have a suspicion it co-opts whatever we use to tell stories and understand personalities.
>>
>>7644919
okay, but why be a dick about it? Anyways, google is your friend.
>>
>>7643191
kek
>>
>>7644926
>google is your friend.
Google is now full of clickbait popsci articles.
>>
>>7643172

I like this kind of troll, more creative than the meme drivers.
>>
>>7643210
how fucking high are you anon?
>>
File: 1440709064292.jpg (31KB, 443x244px) Image search: [Google]
1440709064292.jpg
31KB, 443x244px
>>7643191
>>
>>7643172
Your question is retarded but it made me giggle.
>>
>>7643172
10/10
Actual real trolling.
>>
>>7643202
Because left brained thinking is default in people.
>>
>>7644855
Hurr, have you even heard of openCL?
>>
>>7643191
>computers
>creative
>>
>>7643191
Are you fucking stupid? You have not a single clue how either one works do you
>>
as far as i know the GPU has a lot more ALU's (Arithmetic/Logic Units) and are better at repetetive work.
-> they are good at doing shit loads of math.
>>
>>7645767
Repetitive simple tasks, and non-serial tasks. Their main strength is parallelization.
>>
>>7644855
>AMD doesn't have CUDA
Yeah, bitcoin miners must be screwed. Oh wait, AMDs had the highest hashrate per watt of any card before Maxwells came out.
>>
>>7643193
GPUs don't have any cache, like a CPU does. Also GPUs aren't specialized CPUs as that would imply that a GPU could replace a CPU as the central processor.
>>
>>7644228
You're the shill, (1) you literally provided no evidence for your argument and (2) Radeon cards have a higher hashrate than Geforce cards for cryptomining. Also, I own a GTX 980, so I am definitely not biased towards AMD.
>>
>>7645790

> GPUs don't have any cache, like a CPU does.

Lacking cache is not a defining trait of GPUness.
Having cache is not a defining trait of CPUness, and is a relatively recent innovation.

> Also GPUs aren't specialized CPUs as that would imply that a GPU could replace a CPU as the central processor.

What do you think "specialized" means?
>>
>>7645790

>gpu's don't have a cache

Huh? I was certain gpu's did have all the functions of a cpu. I always thought that gpu's were like a second computer within a computer, with its own registers and memory.

The only difference was that gpu's were specifically wired for matrix multiplication operations.
Am I wrong?
>>
>>7645800
>Lacking cache is not a defining trait of GPUness
Would it make sense to put caches in a GPU? No, so I believe a lack of cache is a defining feature of the GPU.

>What do you think "specialized" means?
In this case, a replacement for a CPU with lots of cores, and no cache.
>>
>>7645820
Registers and memory, yes. But cache is the intermediate between the two, and it wouldn't make much sense to copy the same data to each core.
>>
>>7645825
>to each core
I meant to say to the cache of each core.
>>
>>7645149
Please tell me how to use openCL in Matlab.
>>
>>7643172
>left brain and right brain

Yeah and we have taste maps on our tongues and also blood is blue when it isn't in contact with oxygen
>>
File: 1433978993061.png (80KB, 329x306px) Image search: [Google]
1433978993061.png
80KB, 329x306px
>>7643191
>>
>>7643172
I love this [math]meme[/math]
>>
>>7643172
>Thinking left brain is logical and right brain is not
No such thing as left brain/right brain thinking is spread out evenly, not contained to a dominant hemisphere, the left brain is not better that is just where information is sorted/stored, and vis versa
>>
>>7643193
No it's fucking not. A GPU is a graphics processing unit and a CPU is a computer processing unit. GPU is graphics. CPU completes the main processes of the computer.
>>
File: 1438677978002.jpg (91KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
1438677978002.jpg
91KB, 495x495px
>Left brain right brain
Isnt this a myth? anatomically speaking both sides are symmetrical,I have yet to take the neurology class but my anatomical and histological knowledge are raising red flags.
>>
>>7645797
>>7644228
>not me, so chill shill
>evidence is not needed when thar ist google
>most games written for Nvidia cards, also Nvidia invented graphics processing units (essentially)
>ATI/Radeon/AMD graphics for cheap enthusiasts and widely known for inefficiencies
>Nvidia cards have higher hashrate per core than anyone else but has lower amount of APUs per card because of greater graphics/physics efficiency (with the exception of their high-end workstation cards)
>argument was about OP being deluded about brain/CPU/GPU relationship
>never go full shill
>>
File: LSVMhOk.jpg (40KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
LSVMhOk.jpg
40KB, 453x576px
>>7643172
>muh left brain
>muh right brain
Why do you think people understand the brain? Because they don't. They're just oversimplifications which are spread by popsci mongrels throughout 9gag and facebook. Please, read at least one book before posting pretentious threads on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>7644253
guess what would be even better than fpga? an asic

t. former bitcoin arms racer
>>
>>7647732

Did you even read the thread? There's about 60+ replies on the subject, and the entire internet at your disposal. Its not even a complicated question, any psychology undergrade could figure this one out.

You are literally (yes, literally) hopeless. You are a complete failure, suicide would probably the best option for someone as daft as you.
>>
>>7645839
Why do you need to use Matlab to do "big calculations"?
>>
>>7644228
and i thought i were in place full of rationally thinking people who at least try to check their facts before they even start writing anything.
FUCKING IDIOTS EVERYWHERE.
still, facts are here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_900_Series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_Rx_300_Series
2 cards launched in June 2015, both for price of 649$ with their pure computing power measured in TFLOPS (single precision):
Radeon R9 Fury X 8601.6
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 5632
so yeah, i was wrong. AMD card is actually 52% FASTER than NV one (also for double precision AMD is 3 TIMES faster than NV)
or maybe it was just nvidia shill?
>>
>>7648720
there were GFLOPS in the table *
>>
File: lookwhaticando.gif (488KB, 254x219px) Image search: [Google]
lookwhaticando.gif
488KB, 254x219px
>>7648720
>mommy... the internet isn't playing nice today...
>>
File: 1446504978300.jpg (191KB, 725x900px) Image search: [Google]
1446504978300.jpg
191KB, 725x900px
When it comes to mining bitcoins which is basically the same thing
CPU<GPU<Dedicated mining hardware
and there is a big difference between them
i7 right now is a meme unless you have the GPU to back it up.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
File: 1446515201407.jpg (248KB, 888x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446515201407.jpg
248KB, 888x1200px
>>7648720
>/sci/ is one person
And comparing GPU outside of benchmarks for that specific task is just a pissing contest.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.