[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

math books PSA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1446868177797.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1446868177797.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
If any of you fellow anons are still in college pursuing math, be sure to check which books are used. I am stuck using Larson calculus 6e, let me tell you, it is complete trash. The whole book is written as though it is trying to teach calculus to someone that already knows it. You will come across terrible descriptions and explanations in each and every chapter. The word problems are a real laugh too, you are expected to just pull upper level formulas out of your ass before you can even get to work.

Tl;Dr if a class you are planning to take uses a Larson math text book, find a different or wait till one is available that does not use this travesty of a book.
>>
>>7643090

Correct, Spivak or Apostol is better.
>>
>>7643090
Maybe your school expected you to be comfortable with calculus and also already have a strong foundation of mathematics?
>>
>>7643090
I completely disagree. I'm not sure about that edition, but I used that book when I was learning calculus and it gives plenty of examples and problems for you to do.

If you aren't getting it, I recommend you find a video of somebody explaining what you don't understand. Math textbooks can be hard to read sometimes.
>>
Kind of off-topic, but is bib.tiera.ru just giving 404 links for anyone else? I found Stephen Abbott's Understanding Analysis there, but the link didn't work. (Luckily I found the same filename somewhere else).

I used the site a few weeks ago and it was working fine IIRC.
>>
>>7643103
>Spivak
>a baby analysis book
>for calculus
kek'd
>>
>>7643123
Strong foundation in math, check... understanding of calc.... well, that's why I'm taking the calc class, bright one.
>>
I always thought Larson books were high school level.
>>
I got the same book and its cash as fuck. Everything is laid out and paced appropriately.

I bet op thinks im aspie for being able to think critically
>>
I used that book in highschool. It wasn't hard at all. Maybe you just have a low iq?
>>
>>7643090
I remember that book. I didn't have to resort to it for learning because I fucking payed attention.
>>
>>7643125

Don't know if connected but some court decision happened recently to shut down research paper sites or something to that effect.
>>
goat analysis book desu
>>
>>7643270
That might be it actually, since it's not just bib.tiera.ru that's affected but pretty much every one of the ebook/pdf download sites in the /sci/ wiki.
Where should I find books from now (apart from #bookz on undernet, which kind of sucks for textbooks anyway)
>>
why dont you try bookfi... oh wait... =(
>>
>>7643132
... spivak has a calculus book too, you know?
>>
What does /sci/ think of Amann's analysis book?
Do you think it's suboptimal for a first approach at analysis?
I think it's pretty solid desu.
>>
>>7643358
He has a weird babby analysis book with the title "Calculus". It is by no means a calculus book and by no means a good replacement for a proper analysis book.
>>
>>7643428
Why is it so truly awful?
>>
>>7643428
I mean, it kind of is a calculus book. It's great for a well-motivated intro to abstraction and proof for those who have already done cookbook calculus, but that's just a side bonus. It covers all the traditional freshman calc topics at an appropriate level and doesn't eschew computation.

Nobody's ever said it substitutes for an analysis book, just like nobody ever said Baby Rudin substitutes for a decent exposition on forms and measure. That's why it's called Calculus (along with Apostol's two volumes)
>>
>>7643090
I thought Larson was poor until I saw the other cookbook calculus forms. Rogawski basically made his skimp lecture notes the default textbook for calc courses in Southern Californian universities.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.