[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm studying CompSci and I'm pretty good at it. However,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

I'm studying CompSci and I'm pretty good at it.

However, I hate it.

I think science is extremely important, but I hate /sci/, I hate engineering. Is there hope for me, or should I bail? I love music and art but that won't pay the bills.
>>
What part of science do you love?

A huge part of being a scientist is writing tedious scientific reports and begging for funding
>>
>>7639003
I can't think of anything I like about science at the moment. I've been burned the fuck out by science. It has it's moments, but I never go on /sci/ besides for stuff like this. I don't give a fuck about "science literature" or tv shows or anything like that. I don't spend my free time studying cosmology.

And just to clear things up, most people who study CompSci in Uni go into software engineering. I'm not really looking at going into Academia (and not that I'm interested in working in indstry either).
>>
>>7639014
Then why would you do science? There's money in other areas too (finance/biz/skilled tradesman)

Tbh, most Compsci guys go into programming which is pretty different from what a scientist/ engineer would do. If you like programming stick with it
>>
>>7638976
>science, engineering
>in cs

nope
>>
File: female-head.jpg (133KB, 850x984px) Image search: [Google]
female-head.jpg
133KB, 850x984px
>>7638976
Who told you to care about bills? its possible to live (what i believe to be a good life) on 10 to 15hrs of work per week, given you know what your doing

read some epicurus, find a job in hospitality where you can choose your own hours (and you don't have to worry about automation any time soon), live for the week and work the weekend, and don't feel like you have your hands tied economically. you are freer than you know dude, follow your passion
>>
File: jolt-cola.jpg (316KB, 444x600px) Image search: [Google]
jolt-cola.jpg
316KB, 444x600px
ah fuck, i suppose I might as well ask ITT:

I've been primarily interested in compsci as my major, but recently I've started to take an interest in biotech stuff such as:

>prosthetics
>oncolytic viruses
>3d printing organs/ organ re-generation

any fields that can wrap these together?
afaik those 3 things listed have nearly nothing in common beyond fitting under the "biotech" umbrella, and I wouldn't even know what to study in order to get into those fields.
>>
>>7638976
>I love music and art but that won't pay the bills
It can if you put in the effort.

I burned out also, was working 50-60 hour weeks, gave up on science as a career, took up other things. Now I happily publish a couple papers a year, just working on them on rainy days. (Though I might abandon publishing and just set up a web space with my experiments.) I also have time to play in a band, paint, do woodworking....

>>7639126
Most bio stuff requires people with strong programming skills, and they are sorely lacking. You'd be a huge asset to any lab in those fields if you double majored.
>>
>>7639135
>Most bio stuff requires people with strong programming skills, and they are sorely lacking. You'd be a huge asset to any lab in those fields if you double majored.

lolwut why is that?

>double majored.
yeah but in what though? just plain bio, then get more specific as i study or some shit?
>>
>>7639112
you have no idea how much I went to "get out" and live a minimalist life, I just lack the guts to do it ;_;

>>7639135
I'm saying it won't pay the bills because I'm primarily interested in more experimental/noise-related styles of music/sound textures. Stuff that pretentiously probably won't have much appral besides a niche fanbase of the internet. But who knows, I may as well just make the best I can,;be happy with it, and if someone else likes it, great, if not, that's great as well

fuck, this is turning into /r9k/ fast. Sorry senpai.
>>
>>7639141
Programming skills are important because most of biology now is computer-driven. It's all pattern matching genomes and solving differential equations for population models and looking at trying to find the active sites for protein/RNA folding and reactions.

Double major in bio and comp sci. If you have specialized departments within your school, you could look at those. You'll want to go to grad school to really specialize, though. Or just join up with a company/research group and learn on the job.
>>
>>7639148
I'll be damned, I had an interest in computational chemistry for the longest time, but it didn't even occur to me that computational biology was a thing, kek
>>
>>7639126
Our Biomed department does work on all those areas. Biomed, Physiology, Biomedical Engineering. I'm doing a double major (physiology and compsci) myself
>>
File: Walden_Thoreau.jpg (490KB, 1360x2292px) Image search: [Google]
Walden_Thoreau.jpg
490KB, 1360x2292px
>>7639145
>I just lack the guts to do it

read pic related
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.